The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2014, 05:59 AM

Mawn'in all

HOt wit afternoon showers

Clint, Not dat kinda Spyder de kind Claudine kilt

Allan may be old enough to remember sum ancient history

Mike, Ya gonna have to come visit my mountain home sometime Only we don't eat pizza there, we eat pommes anna an beuf tenderloin.

When is John returning to civilization or is he on a sabbatical from painting

Sandy< We're witcha all e way

Enjoy de day Olds friends
Old September 4th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone, yes Cint av John - it's Thorsday!

Spode be iffy here today so we'll see how it pans out. Should be getting the new roof installed soon. Just waiting on the contractor to give me a date.

Clint, the Monza, Skylark, and Starfire all shared the same platform, Chevy had it's own engine but Olds used the Buick 231 also. Very streamlined cars but just awful to get in and out of and poor heaters for winter. Ted had a 76 Skylark he drove for years, then he sold it to a guy who pinched out the windows, put on studded tires and used it to ice race on the local lakes. Shocked, just shocked I tell ya son! You don't recognize Garfield?

Jim, I waited as you suggested to see if the others knew about Spider Babich. I think you send em on a goose chase doh wit spellin it like de car. Babich was the skier that Longet shot at Aspen back in 76 and was acquitted of. It was semi sensational trial she was sleeping wit him at dat time inner life. He was on de US Ski team but didn't really have any notable finishes. This was just after she divorced from Andy Williams. Prolly only older peeps like John, me an you bermemder dat. I was very much into skiing at the time so I bermemder it making the papers.

Mike, nice job! I get the slant part (225). Were corvair boxer type horizontal engines? That's the only thing I can think of in terms of flat, unless you used to work at a car crusher place

Last edited by Allan R; September 4th, 2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:44 AM

I'll be danged, I always thought it was "Savich" with a V not a B, so I looked it up, I heard wrong all of these years!
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got up early to hit the Awful house so I could meet a guy. Talked to him last night on the phone and he said I'll meet you if you get there early. Well I did and he was already gone. What he was supposed to give me he gave to my buddy Johnboy so I still got it, too bad I had to get up extra early for nothing. Oh well. Still sat there for two hours.

I read up on Claudine and her ill-fated boyfriend. Quite the story. I was around in 76 but I don't remember much about it and I don't remember anything about this.

Allan the Corvair motor is a flat 6. I could never work at a car crusher place. Well maybe Japanese cars. Was that you before retiring in that video in the other thread?

Jamesbo is your mountain home in another country? I never heard of those exotic dishes.

Hope Sandy is recovering well.

Got some work to do in the dogs' room today. It rained quite a bit yesterday and it's overcast today, so there will be no mowing. Best get to it, it won't do itself.

Have a good day everyone.
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I'll be danged, I always thought it was "Savich" with a V not a B, so I looked it up, I heard wrong all of these years!
ooops, I got carried away with the 'B's. Yeah, Sabich, not Babich.

Mike, what vid/thread?
Old September 4th, 2014, 10:35 AM

Yes, the Corvair is a flat 6. It became a fairly sporty ride when equipped with the double jointed half shafts that kept the wheels vertical when cornering. But alas...Nader had done his work before it got better, so no matter what Chevy did, the downhill slide had started. Side note-Yenko got his start with Corvairs if I recall correctly.

I hope all is well with Sandy.
Old September 4th, 2014, 10:55 AM

IMHO the Corvair is twice as safe as a VW bug

Mike, Speaking of which there's a Corvair race car around de corner from me on hwy 9 near MIdway [midway between Cumming and Alpharetta] What me to fetch it fer ya
Old September 4th, 2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
IMHO the Corvair is twice as safe as a VW bug

Mike, Speaking of which there's a Corvair race car around de corner from me on hwy 9 near MIdway [midway between Cumming and Alpharetta] What me to fetch it fer ya

Speaking of IRS which car had de straps on the rear axles to keep them from going to fer down? Jag XK-E? I'm rack'in my feeble brain
Old September 4th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Captain Starfire

Hey, gang... jes a kwik word from da' mountains to see if anybody heard anything from Sandy... I guess it's too early, and I'm pretty certain Larry wouldn't log in to update us. Prayers and thoughts continuin'.... Had a marvy time w/ Mike on Tuesday. Even got him to walk 2 laps around the lake path! We'd have him skinny in a month ... although the dinners here do nuttin' for da' waistlines.
Jamesbo, we'll be here at least anudder week. Alst uva sudden, there's tons of stuff on the schedule, unfortunately. We haven't seen any of our friends and relatives from up here yet, and better half is schedulin' fast....
Whelpt, y'all hang in there and I'll see if I can check back in in a day or three....
Happy Thor's day to you, Allan.... And to the rest of my Oldsmofriends.
Old September 4th, 2014, 11:32 AM

Mike, Pommes Anna is your kinda dish [at least I thought you were a meat and taters kinda fella] Ya slice your tatters real thin and layer dem in a pan wit lots of butter. Bake and turn upside down on a plate

We gots lots of taters from de garden
Old September 4th, 2014, 11:56 AM
CQR

Jamesbo. The 58 vette we had in here had straps to keep the travel in check, but it was not IRS.
Old September 4th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Always room for one more

CutlassDad you are indeed correct, Yenko did start out with his "Stinger" and it was a real screamer. The Camaro and Nova people don't ever mention this...

Allan I was only kidding; I know you don't live in Montreal. It was the guy that was yelling at traffic at 6am.

Jamesbo I'd eat a brick if it had butter on it. Pommes Anna sounds yummy. Bring that race car down when you pick up the Corvan. Got just the place for them. Thanks for the info by the way.

I've been working in the dogs' room. Got carried away cleaning and dismantling a couch, and forgot all about putting up the metal I needed to. Well now we are moments from rain so I won't be cutting metal now. Those dogs can sure make a mess if they want to.

Wonder what else I can get into today.
Old September 4th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok, ya got me curious. WTH is IRS and I know it's not for gubment.
Old September 4th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Always room for one more

Independent Rear Suspension. The axles on the rear end are separate from the pumpkin, and each half shaft has a joint at the wheel and at the transmission. Corvairs got this in 65, VW's around 68. Not sure when the Corvette got this. Previous to this was the swing axle, which was only jointed at the trans. The axle went straight into the wheel.
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:24 PM

Empi sold the Camber Compensator for single jointed rear axle VW's. It was to prevent the inside rear wheel from tucking under when cornered hard. Early Corvairs did the same thing. I think Nader leveled his guns at both brands for similar reasons.

'Vettes were straight axle until '62-IRS after that.
Old September 4th, 2014, 03:06 PM
CQR

My neighbor had a glitter bug with a dual carb corvair six in it. You could pull the front tires in first and second.

Old September 4th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Always room for one more

Kinda looks like Speedbuggy. Roger dodger Tink!

CutlassDad the story I heard was Nader first took after VW and they told him to pound sand. Then someone said hey the Corvair is the same, and GM in their infinite wisdom tried to discredit him and screwed it up. The Corvair remained two extra years than initially planned because of it, which I think is a good thing.
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:49 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hi everyone. Sorry been slacking on here lately and not keeping up with the threads. Actually was on here the other night, read about 3 pages of this thread trying to catch up.

Summer went by too fast as always but the hot weather didn't get here until this week. Has been around 90-92, the warmest its been so far. Kids went back to school this Tuesday so they're sweating it out. My older one went into middle school and the younger one is in 2nd grade.

Spent the other night in the ER when my daughter's asthma got bad. She seems to be doing better now that they gave her meds. Thought we had gotten past it but I guess it's going to take longer for her to grow out of it.

Work's kept me busy. I finally got to the point where I was able to pay myself back the money I put into the business and draw a salary. Nothing significant, but at least I was in the positive.

Watching the US Open right now, waiting to see if Monfils can upset Federer tonight. Great match if you into watching tennis.

Have a good night everyone.
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:52 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CQR
My neighbor had a glitter bug with a dual carb corvair six in it. You could pull the front tires in first and second.

Clint - that's a cool car. That would be fun driving it around in the Garden of the Gods.
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:43 PM

Where's the cheese? I had a dune buggy like that, slightly smaller with the *** white gas engine.
Old September 5th, 2014, 03:57 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Dan, Is that a packers reference? I heard there was a football game on last night.

Darrell, good to hear from you. Sorry to hear of the girls asthma. I'm always worrying about my ladies having an attack while racing.

Mike. I should have bought it, but that motor was a little hard on the vdub tranny. and this was the old style trans that didn't have the normal cv axles, but had the axles enclosed in the tubes with the boots held together with screws.

Raining here. been all night. Donkeys are less than pleased. Made it real hard getting up this morning.

Have a Friday all.
Old September 5th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone.
I think it's morning anyway, it's staying darker later in de morn and getting dark so much earlier now. Should have a nice 70 plus day here today and tomorrow. Gotta trim the grass, put down fall fertilizer and root water the oak.

Clint, so Earl isn't pleased? Go figger. I know the rain can be a downer, but I really like the fresh smell it gives the air. BTW nice going on the ALS dunk.

Mike, wanna go to Awful house with me? JK, there's no Awful houses up here. Believe it or not I actually checked to see. Did you get the VC off the trailer yet?

Jim, you bakin Anutter treat fer us?

Darrell, welcome back! Good luck to the kids for a great school year. Do kids ever outgrow asthma? Nice that you're finally getting ahead of the game. I probably see tennis the way most others see curling.

Dan, mmmmmm. Apples with cheese...mmmmm....yummy! Specially sharp cheddar.

Time fer a cuppa koffee. Enjoy your day, Freyas watching over us!
Old September 5th, 2014, 06:06 AM

Dan, Is that a packers reference?
Nope, those 'taters just looked like they needed cheese.
Old September 5th, 2014, 06:09 AM

Mawn'in all

Sandy, We're think'in 'bout cha dis mawn'in

Mike, I'm not very FB savvy, If I didn't get cha on ax Clint. IMHO it ain't much of a group anywho

Darrel, How de young'uns health improves qucikly

Nope, Don't put no cheese on Pomes anna, Now when I make gratins dauphinois, I load it up wit gruyere.

Welp, Have a great Friday Olds friends
Old September 5th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice day today. We didn't get our usual afternoon shower. Still showing a chance for every day all weekend.

A quick perusal of facebook and I see that Sandy's surgery went well and she's in pain and crabby. The poster that wrote that seems to think that's a good thing. Hope things stay getting better.

Jamesbo I don't know what you're adding me to. I was just saying thanks for the address you sent me.

Allan I thought for a long time the Awful house was a regional thing. But there's one in Ohio, one in Denver, and they are about as far north on my trip up home as (I think) southern Indiana. Pick one and we'll meet up.

The wagon is still on the trailer. It's going to take some doing to get it down with no brakes and I never got back to it after I unsuccessfully tried to change the front tire. I'll work on it more next week when I'm off.

Clint why didn't the builder use the Corvair trans as well? Even the sand rails that use VW motors use the Bus trans.

Darrell good for you, the business is finally growing. You'll be a conglomerate in no time. Hope the daughter is feeling better.

Night Number One is upon us. No telling what to think after being gone four days. It could be an entire different company by now.

Have a good evening everyone and a good weekend. This is the home stretch of summer lets make it count.
Old September 6th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Saturn Day looms large! Morning everyone . Wowsers, werm.
Old September 6th, 2014, 08:19 AM

Morning folks, well I'm do an oil change on the daily driver today, and pick up 10lbs. of blueberries to get me through another year. Blueberry Ricotta pancakes...yum!
Old September 6th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning Dan! 10 lbs of blueberries? You'll be so sick of em in no time flat. I bought some really nice blueberry pies (2.5 lbs each) ay the market 2 weeks ago for 4.00 each. Threw 3 of them in the freezer, just us thawed one last night for late desert. I like fresh or frozen bb on my bran flakes for some added flavor and visual.

9030920 BTW and still going.....yeah I know, your not talking to me. Monday here is Spoda be Elsie on steroids so I might just spend a few hours to see if I can get to a billion. One of my sons friends is over 14 billion on that silly game but I don't know how long he's been playing. I guess you could hex me or sumpin, but I know that's not your style.

Heck, if you were closer I'd do your oil change for ya and then we could have a coffee and lunch. What's the DD?
Old September 6th, 2014, 08:48 AM

OLD SKL 69, is the buggy a Meyer's Manx?

Good to hear that Sandy is recovering.

OK, I give up. What is Awful house?

Happy midday everyone.
Old September 6th, 2014, 10:25 AM

Allan, the DD is an '07 Saturn Aura XR. CutlassDad, Awful House is the Waffle House. We think that Mike is a shareholder!!
Old September 6th, 2014, 10:46 AM

Afternoon

Ran up to de mountain jes in time fer thunderboomers

Mike, I thought you sent me an e-mail request to join facebook olds page but den I remembered you were allready a member. Musta been someone dat stole your identity
Old September 6th, 2014, 01:25 PM

Waffles=pancakes with an off-road tread.

The Meyer's Manx was one of the first, if not the first of a TON of remove the body, saw the pan and tunnel ,and reweld about 14" shorter dune buggies from the mid '60's. The powertrain was pretty much stock, unless you got frisky with power levels.
Old September 6th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Hot today. Lots of sunshine and no rain. My kind of day.

CutlassDad that's a good analogy. I'm really not a fan of either one. Just like the people at the particular Awful house I go to .

Not much else to report. Night 2. Last night wasn't bad, but I was wacked when I got home this morning. All night in the bag bin wrestling with the "magic carpet" loader. Not fun. I hope dayshift finished it up because I'd sure hate to be on it again tonight.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.
Old September 6th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Cutlass Lover

Evening all!

I survived. In some real pain though. Walked around for the first time this afternoon. Boy does my back hurt on the lower right side. Dont know why though. I got out of bed this morning and sat in the chair all day. My butt is numb from this laying around. My skin is itching where they have the tape holding IV linjes down and around the drain bags.

So I guess I was in surgery for 10 hours. I remember waking up and being wheeled to this building. My blood pressure tanked yesterday so I haven't had my Bystolic for the AFib since Wed. I haven't had the hormone blocker or the low dose aspirin. They've been giving me shots of Heparin which sting and burn like crazy. They stopped the narcotic pain pills yesterday too cause of the low bp. But its went back up some today so I can have the Percocet again. The Tylenol wasn't doing anything for the pain.

Everyone here is really nice and helpful. Its kind of embarrassing to have this nice cute young man helping me on and off of the potty tonight lol. They took the catheter out yesterday but now I have leaks and I can't tell. The food is pretty good.

Dr. Johann is very pleased with the surgery. I can't tell yet what anything looks like. I can't stand straight and there are no long mirrors around. They listen to the blood flow every 2 hours. I'm being discharged tomorrow. Kind of scares me cause I have all sorts of help in here that I won't have at home. Larry said that Dude misses me. Guess he's been lecturing Nicole too, saying how she should move, that we don't need her to help me and all sorts of crap. He's just mean sometimes.

Thank you all for the beautiful flower arrangement that arrived yesterday! What a pleasant surprise!!

Well im going to get some sleep now so will talk to you later on.
Old September 6th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good to hear you're doing well. Enjoy the company of the nice young man...Sounds like Larry is playing 'bad cop' while you're gone.
Old September 6th, 2014, 09:04 PM

Sandy here is wishing you a speedy recovery. I don't post on the morning site much but I have been keeping up with your health issues. I can relate somewhat to the unknowns/ uncertainties you must be going through at these trying times but someday you will look back on this and realize that this part of your life is nothing more than a distant memory.... Best of luck with the rest of your life.....Tedd
Old September 6th, 2014, 10:50 PM

Glad to hear from you Sandy!!
Old September 7th, 2014, 02:54 AM

Mawn'in all

Worm

Congrats Sandy,

Take de cute kid home wit cha. It'd give Larry's cameras sum more interesting viewing dan de cat knocking over a potted plant
Old September 7th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just wanted to say YAY for Sandy. Glad you're on the mend.

Now off to bed I'm wacked. See you guys this afternoon.
Old September 7th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone. Good Suns day to y'all especially John.

Yesterday was a gorgeous outside kinda day so I got plenty of yard work done. The trash guy is not going to like me much next Thorsday, but I really could care less. I was going to use a Bagster to get rid of the demolition garbage cause it's all wood and I can cut it to fit the bag. Richard offered to let me use his old uhaul van so I might take him up on it. Waste management charges 60.00 for the bag, and another 178.00 to pick it up and dispose. The landfill price for wood is 60.00 per ton and I barely have that. So I'll take Richards offer and put 80.00 into his gas tank.

The home team lost yesterday. They were down 34-10 with 7 min left in the 4th so I turned off the tv. WTH? I just looked up the final and they almost pulled off an upset. Scored 24 almost unanswered points, but ended up losing by a Cal TD. Final was 41-34.

More outside stuff planned today, but first a coffee and trip to HD.

Mike, no this isn't an aircraft joke- how many guys and how long does it take to change an engine? Must have some special cradle and lift?

Enjoy your day.