The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2024 | 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Indian Motorcycle mystery man arrived w/ $900 departed w/ $100. Win win.
Norm - Glad you were able to make some nice $'s on a bunch of the Indian gear. 👍
Old October 5th, 2024 | 06:58 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Glad you were able to make some nice $'s on a bunch of the Indian gear. 👍
Chris - Win win.
Old October 5th, 2024 | 07:08 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Norm, never seen that before, hate to think that the battery is damaged internally, and might be a mishap waiting to happen. I would just replace it.
Dan - Excellent suggestion - will take that under serious advisement.
I think that battery I purchased was/is a POS. I'm certainly not replacing that battery w/ another of same brand/manufacturer. I think the name of that battery should be YUASSA not YUASA. Ordered a Deka 18XL - EAST PENN manufacturer. It's what came in the bike new, I've replaced same once before - not 100% why I elected to buy the YUASA other than I "thought" I was making an informed decision. But, I should have remained w/ Deka because EAST PENN is an excellent manufacturer. Live & learn.
Old October 5th, 2024 | 07:17 PM

I think that battery I purchased was/is a POS. I'm certainly not replacing that battery w/ another of same brand/manufacturer. I think the name of that battery should be YUASSA not YUASA. Ordered a Deka 18XL - EAST PENN manufacturer. It's what came in the bike new, I've replaced same once before - not 100% why I elected to buy the YUASA other than I "thought" I was making an informed decision. But, I should have remained w/ Deka because EAST PENN is an excellent manufacturer. Live & learn.
Norm - I thought I did my do diligence also when I chose to put a Yuasa in my Indian 2-years ago.. Everywhere I checked they got good reviews. So far, no issues with mine, knock on wood.
Old October 5th, 2024 | 07:40 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Good to hear you're having a good experience. Much of what I'm vacillating over is conjecture & unproven. Did I get a lemon? Could have. Was it specifically related to a faulty battery? Maybe. My fault because the cables were loose? Combination of it all? Ah, well.
Old October 6th, 2024 | 10:08 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Absolutely stellar day weatherwise. Just got back from Walmart. Didn't seem so bad today. I got a couple extra things and still got off easy.

So today come hell or high water I'm gonna work on the convertible trying to get those scratches out. If that is successful I'll mow the front yard.

Norm who else does East Penn manufacture for? I was under the impression there were only two battery manufacturers, in the USA anyway, Exide and Johnson. The best batteries I've ever used were Interstate, made by Johnson. It's been awhile since I've used one, though.

Gonna be nice all week, hope I can get some things done in the two hours I have to myself after work every day.

Have a good day everyone.

Old October 6th, 2024 | 03:39 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm who else does East Penn manufacture for? I was under the impression there were only two battery manufacturers, in the USA anyway, Exide and Johnson. The best batteries I've ever used were Interstate, made by Johnson. It's been awhile since I've used one, though.
There is one other EAST PENN battery "branded" by EAST PENN for the consumer retail market, but I can't recall the name. Starts with the letter "A" as I recall. Deka is the primary EAST PENN "branded" consumer retail battery & it's niche is specifically for rugged sports industry. I know EAST PENN makes automotive NAPA batteries, Duracell marine & automotive batteries and a large number of other private label batteries. I don't know if they make all NAPA batteries. I'm also aware of Exide & Johnson. Researching batteries & battery manufacturers is a full-time job. I've done a fair amount. I think the various manufacturers produce batteries w/in select "verticals" e.g. power sports industry, Group Size & I've read geographical location even w/in the USA. I've read they each also occasionally change which vertical/niche among themselves. I suspect these arrangement/agreements, etc. are carved out among the various CEOs during a round of golf.
Old October 6th, 2024 | 03:53 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - This airport nearby your house you often talk about, is it Berry Hill (7GA7)?

Old October 7th, 2024 | 01:34 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Here we are, 4 in the morning. Isn't that a song? It's 4 in the morning and what's more the dawning has woke up the wanting in me. There is no luck. I asked a guy who was here Saturday how it went and he said it was fairly good. A few guys came in and they signed 107 wheels and built up a good amount to start today. I'm up next week.

Norm that is indeed my airport. Not a very big neighborhood, and only a couple people have airplanes. Nice place.

I finally was able to work on the Fiat yesterday. I got Meguiars scratch remover kit and it did okay, some of the scratches were too deep to come out completely, but they do look better, and some of the scratches were totally removed, so I'd say it was a success. I washed it afterward and boy does it look spiffy. Now for a quick vacuum and do the windows and it will hit the road.

More mowing at Mom's today, I think this will be it. The lake has been down and I've had to really watch Tiger when he's out because with mud on the other side of the wall and not water he'll jump over the wall and chase whatever water foul happens to be close by. Once he does that he can get away from the yard and I'm not chasing him. Some of the lake bed is like quick sand I'm not falling into it and losing my shoes. My neighbor and I were out walking on the lake bed one time, and all of a sudden he just sinks in to his knees. The whole bed looks the same, but this part was soft. It was a time trying to pull him out and not get stuck myself. He was a mess. We went to his house(across the street from me) and I just hosed him down standing on the driveway. The whole lake needs dredging but they won't do it.

Guess I'll find something to do. Quite a few people have come in but no wall guys. I feel a shake up coming on. Have a good day everyone.

Old October 7th, 2024 | 05:56 AM

Mike - Glad to hear the scratch removal was primarily a success. Hope you are able to sell it soon and get what you want out of it. Good luck!
Old October 7th, 2024 | 06:10 AM

Good morning guys,

I was a out of pocket at a child's b-day party yesterday. The little boy is the son of my Wife's oldest daughter's boyfriend. He has 2 kids, and she has two girls. They're not married but moved in with each other about a year and a half ago. The daughter's boyfriend, Jake, is the only boyfriend I've ever met that's been worth a $hit. He's a good guy, a welder by trade, specializing in automotive and other vehicle welding. He works hard and treats Dawn's daughter and all the kids great. He's a big car guy, so he and I get along well.

Looks like it's going to be another pretty week here with highs around 80 and lows in the low 50's, and dry. I certainly love Fall here. I've got PT on Tues and Thurs. Hope everyone has a great day and week!
Old October 7th, 2024 | 10:05 AM
Always room for one more

So I see that the latest storm "Milton" is going to go right across Florida and Orlando is in its path. I texted my sister, she's staying. They have food and water and batteries. My niece and her family, who lives less than 10 miles from them, are leaving. Tomorrow at 4. Why? Because she still has to work and the children still have school. Never mind there's a life-threatening storm headed right for them. Pray for these people. Not that they are safe, but that they somehow acquire some brains. Sheesh. Oh and pray that they are safe.

Old October 7th, 2024 | 10:47 AM

Pray for these people. Not that they are safe, but that they somehow acquire some brains. Sheesh. Oh and pray that they are safe.
Mike - All your relatives will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers. I have an Aunt and Uncle, and several of their children in Ft. Meyers which right now is forecasted as a direct hit at CAT 3 strength. The one saving grace for your folks is it's forecasted to decrease to CAT 1 when it gets inland to the Orlando area. We'll pray for the best for all!
Old October 7th, 2024 | 11:23 AM
Always room for one more

Chris I hope your people are preparing to skedaddle. I pray they stay safe. I just got a funny feeling. I had this same feeling some years ago when a big storm was headed straight for Pensacola. I called Mom and said the airport is closing, I'll be on the last flight in. Nope, she and my sister and everyone were staying. I said it's been nice knowing you. I was sure everyone would be swept out to sea. The storm took a right at the last minute and Pensacola barely even got any rain. I just don't know.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 11:52 AM

The storm took a right at the last minute and Pensacola barely even got any rain. I just don't know.
Thanks Mike - I hope my relatives leave too. Ya just never know, forecasting landfall of those hurricanes can be iffy at best sometimes. All we can do is hope for the best.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 11:58 AM
Running On Empty

Holy **** Turds!!! Milton is down to 933 mb. More importantly the rate at which the pressure has dropped is "bonkers". This rate of intensification is overwhelming. If the rate continues to decrease like this it will approach or be Cat 5 very, very shortly. No one will be spared in its path.

Old October 7th, 2024 | 12:12 PM
Running On Empty

My ex-GF, husband & family have surely lost their home on Treasure Island (John's Pass, Madeira Beach) during Helene. That was 5'-8' storm surge. Milton is now expected to produce 8'-12' storm surge in nearly the exact same location. Anclote River is just on the North side of Tampa Bay. Treasure Island (Madeira Beach) is ~ 20 miles South of Anclote. Holy Snot Rockets. I have many friends in this area. Many remain distant friends because of distance over the years. I really hate to be talking gloom & doom but this is nuts. A guy (Keith) I used to work with lost his entire family's home (completely removed) during hurricane Andrew (Cat 5, Aug 1992). He was Superintendent Everglades National Park. Moved there in 1990. Lost it all 1992. Milton's winds are now 175mph sustained.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 12:44 PM

This is a very odd hurricane. I wonder if the weather machines are advanced enough yet to create and steer storms. I know Blackrock is very hungry to buy devastated real estate and turn it into rental utopias; they took most of Maui.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 12:52 PM
Running On Empty

I heard "someone" had a lame brained notion of dropping a nuke into a hurricane to steer it and dissolve it.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 01:29 PM
Running On Empty

Milton Fields II in Florida?

Old October 7th, 2024 | 04:50 PM
Running On Empty

Milton = 911mb...I think that is a record except for the 1938 (Wilma?) at 882 mb.
Sustained winds of 178mph, storm surge exact location as last week was 5'-8' Milton will be 10'-15' and the 8PM update hasn't posted, yet.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 05:16 PM
Running On Empty

897mb~~~~!!!!!!!
Old October 7th, 2024 | 05:30 PM

897mb~~~~!!!!!!!
Appreciate the updates Norm.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 08:00 PM

I wonder if there is an upper limit for hurricane strength.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 08:10 PM

Did my test drive on my van Thursday night and was slightly too advanced. I retarded the timing a couple degrees and all was well Friday morning. I moved cars around, loaded the van, and left for Rockville that afternoon. The engine is running well, but the steering is loose and my tires make road noise despite very little miles. Went 130 miles without incident to Rockville and met up with friends for dinner. Next morning, I followed their Model A to Newport and wiggled my way into town and got a good car show spot behind the courthouse. Spent all day Saturday there between the car show and the hill action. Back to Rockville for dinner and sleep, and did it all again Sunday. See thread on that show in this section. This morning, it was cold, and the van did start in the 45 degree weather after sitting all night, but I got abruptly stopped at a light when it was still cold and things were not happy. Limped around a few blocks, got the choke sorted out, and went on. Stopped for gas in Clinton and added more slow idle to the car as it was dying at stop signs.

After that, it was happy. I visited grandma's house, which is still abandoned mostly reconstructed by the landmark foundation. Visited a couple cemeteries with family and drove home. I need to replace the choke cable as it is corroded up and hard to pull (the choke on the carb is fine). Also, I need to tighten up the steering, check the brakes, and figure out why my tires make so much noise or get new ones. I put the van away after a 330 mile weekend with a B for performance. The tuneup did well.

My people are worried in FL. They are all inland Central Florida, but this storm looks bad.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 08:17 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
I wonder if there is an upper limit for hurricane strength.
I looked this up eons ago and just reviewed. Theoretically there's no absolute upper limit. Most probable/likely upper limit is 190mph. Milton was @ 185mph today. I think the eye wall has collapsed & is in a new regenerative cycle building a new eye wall. Minimum pressure = 916mb, maximum sustained (one minute) winds ~172mph.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 08:28 PM

If the oceans get hot enough. I would think 200+ mph would be possible.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 08:32 PM
Running On Empty

Surf is up!
Old October 7th, 2024 | 09:00 PM
Running On Empty

Supposedly hurricane Patricia achieved 215 mph. I think there was another of the same speed in the Western Pacific Ocean, of course it wouldn't be a hurricane; but, instead a typhoon. The only difference between the two being where they're located. Funny, if a hurricane crossed the International Date Line from East>West, they have to rename the hurricane with a new name because it's now a typhoon. Rather archaic - I didn't make the rules.
Old October 8th, 2024 | 07:00 AM

They're all technically tropical cyclones, correct?
Old October 8th, 2024 | 07:16 AM

Cyclones and hurricane. Their rotation is counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere. This is the same for drains in a home. A new building at a hotel in upstate NY. Was suppled with toilet made in south America. All had to be replaced. They never worked correctly.
Old October 8th, 2024 | 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
They're all technically tropical cyclones, correct?
I think by definition, they are "Hurricanes" in the Western Hemisphere, and "Cyclones" in the Eastern Hemisphere. Same exact causes/characteristics.
Old October 8th, 2024 | 07:24 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Cyclones and hurricane. Their rotation is counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere. This is the same for drains in a home. A new building at a hotel in upstate NY. Was suppled with toilet made in south America. All had to be replaced. They never worked correctly.
Yeah, cyclonic rotation is governed via Coriolis Effect. Northern CCW, Southern CW.
Old October 8th, 2024 | 07:28 AM
Running On Empty

What is the difference between a hurricane and a typhoon?

The only difference between a hurricane and a typhoon is the location where the storm occurs.

Cyclone is a generic term w/ respect to nomenclature.
Old October 8th, 2024 | 07:32 AM

The only difference between a hurricane and a typhoon is the location where the storm occurs.

Ha, Ha, Ha, I meant to say Typhoon for the Eastern Hemisphere and Cyclone just came thru my fingers. Bad on me for not checking my work!
Old October 8th, 2024 | 07:33 AM
Running On Empty

Ha, Ha, Ha, I meant to say Typhoon for the Eastern Hemisphere and Cyclone just came thru my fingers. Bad on me for not checking my work!
Bad doggie, bad doggie.
Old October 8th, 2024 | 07:47 AM
Running On Empty

Whether it's called a hurricane, typhoon or cyclone one parameter remains constant. Each storm is an organized event which occurs in a rotating low pressure system - regardless of name or formation location.
Old October 8th, 2024 | 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
I think by definition, they are "Hurricanes" in the Western Hemisphere, and "Cyclones" in the Eastern Hemisphere. Same exact causes/characteristics.

Whether it's called a hurricane, typhoon or cyclone one parameter remains constant. Each storm is an organized event which occurs in a rotating low pressure system - regardless of name or formation location.
I found the issue. They're all tropical cyclones, however, the regional name for the storm in the Indian Ocean is cyclone as well.

Old October 8th, 2024 | 12:52 PM

Hi guys,

First, we had a very short period last night where we could see the "Northern Lights" again. It was not nearly as spectacular as last time, but still cool to see.

Next, it's been awhile since I've posted any pics of my wife's furniture. She finished these two pieces recently, and although I'm very biased, I think these are pretty special.

It couldn't be any nicer here today, full sunshine and a high of 72°, just gorgeous. Had PT again this morning, it's going fine. Hope everyone has a great evening!
Old October 8th, 2024 | 12:59 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Are those doors or drawers on that upright cabinet? How you open them?