The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2024 | 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris those are nice pictures. It's too bright around me to see anything like that. We don't see shooting stars either.
Thanks Mike. It does make it tougher to see, and especially get decent pictures if there is too much man made light. In this case the ability to see this phenomenon rarely, if ever, gets as far south as Atlanta. We were on the far southern edge of being able to view it last night. I can't imagine how spectacular it looks much farther north like northern Wisconsin or Minnesota. I wish everyone had the chance to see it at least once.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 07:59 AM

Good morning everyone.

John I'm confused. I thought you were looking for wheels for your friend's car. Now it sounds like it's your car. Did you buy it from him or am I just off? What is the significance of a double sided fireplace to attract and entice women? You on one side and she on the other?

Things got moving around here and I'm over 20 wheels already. Hope it keeps up. Friday, I'm working tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good day.
Mike, I was a little elliptical while I was buying the car and asking questions ahead of time, but it is my car that I recently purchased. Fred's car (442Fred here); I went to Arizona a couple times to examine and purchase these past months. Might actually put the Indiana tag on it today.

There's no significance to a double sided fireplace being romantic other than the '70s vibe and that it is a little more for show than for go. A serious fireplace is one sided with a massive heatilator behind it so it throws as much heat as possible. A double sider tends to put most of the heat up the chimney and is more for looks and atmosphere in my opinion, which, if you're looking for love in all the wrong places as my brother in spirit Johnny Lee sings, might be just what you need. The good news about the double sider is that I can shut the glass doors on both sides and open the toe vents and really draw well. If I crack a window for an air inlet, I can do two foot flames when set with doors closed and vents open. I have learned that you must be symmetrical, either both doors open and chain curtains closed only, or both doors shut. Otherwise, it will put some smoke into the room with the closed door.

We actually built a few cars in Indiana West yesterday. The new airbags are coming in, so we moved the assembly lines a bit, but mostly brought finished cars in from the yard to retrofit in the confirmation areas. They then go through the shower booth, down the sales line like normal, get re-sold to the logistics service, and driven out the door by the drivers to the yard, where, this time, they will leave like normal. There's several thousand in the yard, we won't be done with them till Christmas.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 12:40 PM

Norm, that fireplace is nice. Chris. I should have gotten out last night for the Aurora's, but after cutting the grass, taking a shower and having some grub, I was done. People have been posting the pics that they took on FB all day, some pretty impressive ones. Hazy with smoke from forest fires, so not likely gonna happen tonight. John, Mike beat me to it with the new Olds question, but, is it a '68 H/O? Pics required of course. Norm, so ya figure that the battery problem was loose connections?
Old October 11th, 2024 | 01:13 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - You will never (generally) walk into a cold home/room occupied by an elderly person, in particular a female. As the body ages, metabolism & circulation slows down. The elderly (particularly females) struggle to maintain the circulation & metabolic rate necessary to maintain 98.6°. Slow circulation makes it difficult for the elderly to retain heat; therefore, turn up the heat baby.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 01:19 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Yeah, those connections were really loose. Loose wires resulted in the significant arcing yielding the melted cheese (lead). Speaking of which I need to head into the man-cave & got to work on stuff.

Our family used to view Northern Lights (which I still think they call Aurora Borealis) all the time (several occasions fall each year) growing up in Northern Illinois Southern Wisconsin area(s).
Old October 11th, 2024 | 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris. I should have gotten out last night for the Aurora's, but after cutting the grass, taking a shower and having some grub, I was done.
Ya, I wasn't really all that excited about it because we saw it so well back in May, but my wife gets a kick out of seeing it. Those were some of her pics I posted. After I've seen it once I can't get too excited. I do not remember anyone ever making a big deal about seeing it when growing up in Michigan. I do not ever remember a single time anyone saying you needed to look for it? I find that odd???
Old October 11th, 2024 | 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Mike - You will never (generally) walk into a cold home/room occupied by an elderly person, in particular a female.
My wife is always cold. I can be sitting on the couch in shorts and a tank top, and she has a t-shirt, a hoodie, and.jeans, and she's still saying she's cold, drives me nuts.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 02:00 PM
Running On Empty

My understanding/interpretation has always been human females have a slightly lower metabolic rate than males in both core temperature & extremities. As we succumb to growing large in the tooth it's been my understanding females have a little more difficulty managing metabolic homeostasis esp. w/ regard to blood circulation & they get cold(er) easier than males.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 02:41 PM

My understanding/interpretation has always been human females have a slightly lower metabolic rate than males in both core temperature & extremities. As we succumb to growing large in the tooth it's been my understanding females have a little more difficulty managing metabolic homeostasis esp. w/ regard to blood circulation & they get cold(er) easier than males.
Well, we certainly have a documented case study to support that in our household!
Old October 11th, 2024 | 02:55 PM

If women weren't cold, they wouldn't want to cling to their big warm husbands.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 03:32 PM

Norm, that fireplace is nice. Chris. I should have gotten out last night for the Aurora's, but after cutting the grass, taking a shower and having some grub, I was done. People have been posting the pics that they took on FB all day, some pretty impressive ones. Hazy with smoke from forest fires, so not likely gonna happen tonight. John, Mike beat me to it with the new Olds question, but, is it a '68 H/O? Pics required of course. Norm, so ya figure that the battery problem was loose connections?
Dan, here's an assortment. 20 year old restoration from 04 or so. Went to OCA nats in 06. Fred bought it a couple years later. Low miles since resto. Numbers correct AC car. Fred put a Legendary interior and a Gardner exhaust on it for further upgrade. Options, other than the previously mentioned and the things that came with the H/O package include the commonly ordered rallye pac and wood wheel and SSIIs. Other options include a FM mono one speaker radio, deluxe seat belts, remote left mirror, dealer option right mirror. Odometer says 84k or so. Older bias repros on it. There are some very minor paint issues from the 20 year old lacquer.

Also bought a set of 4 original paint SSIIs, some Go Jacks, and a lot of 68 media. Richard Johnson hauled it.

Old October 11th, 2024 | 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Dan, here's an assortment. 20 year old restoration from 04 or so. Went to OCA nats in 06. Fred bought it a couple years later. Low miles since resto. Numbers correct AC car. Fred put a Legendary interior and a Gardner exhaust on it for further upgrade. Options, other than the previously mentioned and the things that came with the H/O package include the commonly ordered rallye pac and wood wheel and SSIIs. Other options include a FM mono one speaker radio, deluxe seat belts, remote left mirror, dealer option right mirror. Odometer says 84k or so. Older bias repros on it. There are some very minor paint issues from the 20 year old lacquer.

Also bought a set of 4 original paint SSIIs, some Go Jacks, and a lot of 68 media. Richard Johnson hauled it.

John - Although as you know, I figured this out awhile ago and didn't want to spoil your reveal, I have to say the '68 H/O is one of, if not my favorite, Oldsmobile of all time. I absolutely love the '68 body style, and while I'm not a fan of the '68 4-4-2's, the H/O is a completely different animal. I am very happy for you, and extremely jealous. Great for you! 👍 I hope to see it in person sometime!
Old October 11th, 2024 | 05:30 PM

John - Were SSI's available on the '68 H/O or not? Just curious because I like the look of SSI's better than the SSII'S or 3's. Just one man's opinion.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 06:03 PM
Running On Empty

John - I likely missed any update(s). Your Mom & your Dad good on Milton?
Old October 11th, 2024 | 06:41 PM

Norm, my father did not lose power nor have much of a mess. He has high water in his yard and boat dock. My mother lost power for most of a day. It is back on. She is working too hard cleaning up and got stung by an uprooted nest of yellow jackets, which have been stinging everyone out in the cul de sac middle. The city is coming by to reenact the battle of Ypres on the insects. My brother lost power most of yesterday. So, everyone is ok.

Chris, the Olds ralley wheel story is interesting. The SSI was a drum brake only wheel from its inception in 66 and carried through 67. However, the 1968 SSII was delayed in development for the first part of the model year, so the SSI was continued to bridge the gap. The original SSI could not do drum brakes, so, like 67, was not available on 68 factory disc cars. The SSII began production, and SSI production stopped early in the year. The 68 H/Os were made late in 68's run, and had front disc, so they could not have fit SSIs if they were available, which they were not. These were all 14x6 wheels. The overwhelming majority of H/Os sit on SSIIs. I have seen wire wheels and poverties on them.

However, the SSI resumed production in 69. This was an all chrome 14x6 wheel that did fit factory disc. I have two sets of these; they are rare. Every SS wheel from this point forward fit factory disc.

All Super Stock wheels went to 14x7 and trim ring in 1970. There was a brief run of all chrome SSI 14x7s and no ring. SSIs I believe phased out for the 72 model year.

I will probably photo shoot the 68 H/O on 69 chrome 14x6 SSIs at some point for academic interest.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 07:50 PM
Running On Empty

John - Thanks. I did forget you posted about your mother in an earlier post - nest of yellow jackets. Battle of Ypres aptly describes the city's war on terror against the yellow jackets. Sounds like no damage was encountered other than loss of convenience w/ a brief loss of electricity & typical cleanup. That's good.

Nice history of the SS wheels during this time period. Is this germane to only A-Body's or across all models. I suspect this was true for other GM Divisions, as well?
Old October 11th, 2024 | 07:59 PM

Norm, I do not know much about GM wheels in the other divisions other than every Chevy guy wants Corvette wheels on everything, lol.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 08:14 PM
Running On Empty

I reviewed again today pricing of Starlink Internet. If I were in just a little more of a remote area I'd be a Starlink consumer/customer.

I also reviewed the newest Tesla lineups Elon released yesterday. Yes, I watched the entire one hour thirty minute video. I have no stake in the game other than to learn. I've been reading comments regarding his development of the reverse hydrolysis water engine & I'm convinced science education in our country has to be the absolute worst in the entire world. Although, most people who comment on YouTube videos are idiots by default.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 08:18 PM

Chris, the Olds ralley wheel story is interesting. The SSI was a drum brake only wheel from its inception in 66 and carried through 67. However, the 1968 SSII was delayed in development for the first part of the model year, so the SSI was continued to bridge the gap. The original SSI could not do drum brakes, so, like 67, was not available on 68 factory disc cars. The SSII began production, and SSI production stopped early in the year. The 68 H/Os were made late in 68's run, and had front disc, so they could not have fit SSIs if they were available, which they were not. These were all 14x6 wheels. The overwhelming majority of H/Os sit on SSIIs. I have seen wire wheels and poverties on them.
John - That is a fascinating history of the evolution of the Old's Rally wheels. I do have a question about this sentence from your paragraph above: "The original SSI could not do drum brakes, so, like 67, was not available on 68 factory disc cars."

Should it say, the original SSI could not do disc brakes, and not "drum" as stated in the sentence? I think that's the only thing that makes sense?
Thanks for the tutorial.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 08:21 PM

Yes, disc. Was typing too fast.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 08:27 PM
Running On Empty

Called Jim yesterday, left VM, Jim called me today. Other than worrisome/bothersome immediate medical decisions at hand, Jim's in good spirits.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 08:35 PM

Norm - My wife and I came up behind one of these at a stoplight about a week ago. Then after the light turned green I pulled around him slowly so we could both get a good look at it. It was the only time either one of us had seen one in person. We both thought the same thing, maybe the ugliest damn vehicle ever made!

Old October 11th, 2024 | 08:51 PM

Raccoons are trying to break into them because they think they are dumpsters. They have their market demographic down; urban effeminate liberals.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 08:51 PM

Called Jim yesterday, left VM, Jim called me today. Other than worrisome/bothersome immediate medical decisions at hand, Jim's in good spirits.
Thanks for passing on the update Norm.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 08:54 PM

Raccoons are trying to break into them because they think they are dumpsters. They have their market demographic down; urban effeminate liberals.
Let the Raccoons have every damn one of them!
Old October 11th, 2024 | 09:37 PM

Yeah, tell that to the females in my family that keep their houses at refrigerator temperatures and complain that it’s hot if the room warms up to the low 70s.
Old October 11th, 2024 | 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - My wife and I came up behind one of these at a stoplight about a week ago. Then after the light turned green I pulled around him slowly so we could both get a good look at it. It was the only time either one of us had seen one in person. We both thought the same thing, maybe the ugliest damn vehicle ever made!

Cybertruck ran off the road, crashed into a culvert and burned so hot the occupant, license plate, and VIN were incinerated, making identification difficult.
https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...0-0cb839aa104a
Old October 12th, 2024 | 02:37 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
A couple months back I saw one pass in front of my house. Several weeks later same car passed front of my house. Two weeks ago same car was parked in parking lot at my golf club. I got a real close look. Don't know who it belongs to. No doubt it's ugly.
Old October 12th, 2024 | 03:17 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Wasn't hard getting up this morning at 2 but I'm doing the touch and goes here at my desk. I need to start drinking pop with sugar in it again. We actually have a pretty good crew and I'm at 14 wheels and two hours in.

John good show with the H/O. I like it a lot. Is that the Four-anado in the background of the fourth picture?

It was actually comfortable in the house yesterday when I went to Mom's. Of course she had on a sweatshirt. Gas man is coming Tuesday. I'm not the vengeful type, but I find this to be a little ironic, if not gratifying. When I was growing up, she wouldn't turn on the AC in the summer unless things started melting. She'd say, open a window. In the winter she'd set the furnace just above absolute zero. She'd say, put on warmer clothes. She said, if you lived here you'd have the gas on. I said, if I lived here it would be November before I called.

Tractor guy texted yesterday and said someone put a deposit on the backhoe, but if it fell through he'd let me know. Damn. People don't turn loose of that model tractor. So I have all this money amassed and nothing to spend it on. I should just keep it and spend it on my other wrecks. Naw, what fun is that.

Okay I think I'll take a break. Hope everyone has a good Saturday.

Old October 12th, 2024 | 05:47 AM

John-
Congrats with the 68 H/O Nice to have the history and such along with it. Many smiles to the gallon on the way. Have fun
Old October 12th, 2024 | 06:39 AM

Mike, yes. I have a couple more pics of the Fouranado if you want. Otto, thanks.

We're doing server patching so I'm on the clock, woo!
Old October 12th, 2024 | 05:08 PM
Always room for one more

Hm. I had a post this morning and now I don't see it. It's quite possible I typed it all out here in the box and then hit back instead of post. I'll give you the cliff notes.

Yes John I'd like to see more pictures of the Fouronado.

We finished by 1030, 110 wheels. Was a good morning.

A guy in the Amphicar club has a Cyber truck. It's big and ugly.

An addendum to this is when I got to Awful house this afternoon I found out my friend Billy died. I think it's what he wanted. He was in tough shape and I know he's better off now. Not sure what his spiritual situation was, so he might be getting chastised now for a while. I'll miss him, he was a good guy.

Okay I need to sit in my recliner and relax. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old October 12th, 2024 | 05:32 PM

John, that H/O is a good looking car. A while back on another thread, you were asking questions related to the H/O, so I figured that's what you bought. Last car show of the year up in Pentwater, a nice day, sunny and in the 60's. My buddy's son came from Grand Blanc, and they weren't sure when they would hit the road, so he told me to meet them up there. I saved a space for him, and they ran out rather quickly. Turns out that he brought two cars, one of his '70 442's, and his '79 T/A, so saving the spot was a waste. I drove with the top up an the way there, as it was in the 50's, and there would be too much wind on the highway. Took old 31 home (Oceana Drive), with the top down. A nice way to end the season. It gets dropped off monday for the front suspension rebuild. Then I may try to find storage for it. My buddy wasn't too happy, as after 45 years in the piston ring business, he was let go. He was planning on retiring in December, but this wasn't on his terms (abrupt). Hell, he got 6 months severence pay! Which he would have not gotten two months from now when he retired. he's had the Chrysler/Stelantis account for about 20 years, but they are having financial trouble, including not paying thier bills. The parent compnay of Stelantis, PSA of France, is the company that is having the financial problems, partly related to Mopar sales slump in the U.S.
Old October 12th, 2024 | 05:37 PM

An addendum to this is when I got to Awful house this afternoon I found out my friend Billy died. I think it's what he wanted. He was in tough shape and I know he's better off now. Not sure what his spiritual situation was, so he might be getting chastised now for a while. I'll miss him, he was a good guy.
Mike - I am so sorry for your loss of your friend Billy. Regardless of whether he is in a better place, it is always tough for loved ones or friends left behind. 🙏
Old October 12th, 2024 | 05:58 PM

Last car show of the year up in Pentwater, a nice day, sunny and in the 60's. My buddy's son came from Grand Blanc, and they weren't sure when they would hit the road, so he told me to meet them up there. I saved a space for him, and they ran out rather quickly. Turns out that he brought two cars, one of his '70 442's, and his '79 T/A, so saving the spot was a waste. I drove with the top up an the way there, as it was in the 50's, and there would be too much wind on the highway. Took old 31 home (Oceana Drive), with the top down. A nice way to end the season.
Dan - Glad you could get your car out again on a nice day before the end of the season. I bet that was a nice drive home with the top down! 👍

I went to a cruise-in this afternoon/evening, not huge, but it was nice. I have a big show that usually pulls +300 vehicles next Saturday that I'm planning on attending if the weather cooperates. I am planning on hitting a total of 4 or 5 more events before I put her away in mid-November.
Old October 12th, 2024 | 10:43 PM

I guess I only took this many pictures. We did go for a ride in it. Nice car. It's fully road legal, finished, restored, drives well, and is for sale.
Old October 13th, 2024 | 07:17 AM
Running On Empty

Hm. I had a post this morning and now I don't see it. It's quite possible I typed it all out here in the box and then hit back instead of post. I'll give you the cliff notes.
Mike - Your post get lost a couple hours (maybe)? Is it the same one as Post#56989? I was up early yesterday morning (4:00) & read that post very early - maybe 4:30am or something & I noted you said you were up @ 2:00am, needed some pop & had 14 wheels. Sometimes the back-end DB runs it's routine(s) & the site runs its back-up in off-hours (so-to-speak) when there is the least amount of traffic & posts are held in queue for some time while the back-end/back-up runs. Who knows, eh.

Got the Indian inspected yesterday & went for a short ride - weather was gorgeous. Going to drop a Lasagna (frozen Stouffers) in the oven & work outdoors rest of the day. Absolutely gorgeous weather.
Old October 13th, 2024 | 07:30 AM

Weather is gorgeous here also and I'm glad for that! We have our StL 0ld's Club Fall Picnic today and we're leaving out in just a few minutes.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Old October 13th, 2024 | 10:43 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone

Just got back from Walmart. Lunacy. And, I think every road in the county is jammed full of traffic. I have no idea why. I find it easy to predict what people are going to do when I'm driving. But when things are standing still you can't tell anything.

John that sure is a cool car. I bet that whole engine package in an A Body handles heavy as can be. That's the one you should have bought.

Norm that's it. Hard telling why it wasn't there and then it was. I probably had to wait 5 seconds to see it...

Thanks Chris. I've seen a lot of people come and go at the Awful house since I've been going there. Some people have died, some have moved away, and some just stop coming and no one knows what has become of them.

Dan when I had my first convertible, a 66 Corvair, I had the top down as long as it was 40* or more. The Folding Top Manual said not to put the top down below 40, so that was my cutoff. Even at 40 it was damn cold driving, but that car actually had some good heat so I'd turn it on and be comfy.

Okay gonna rearrange my yard this afternoon. The SRX turned on the check engine light on the way to Walmart, so I still have Dave's scanner I'll see what that's all about. I also got a Stabilitrak message, though I don't know what that has to do with the engine.

Sure is nice here. Of course Mom had five jackets on and sitting on a heated blanket. Such drama. It won't make the gas man get here any faster.

Have a good day everyone.

Old October 13th, 2024 | 10:43 AM

Tomorrow heading to get EKG to be sure my 🎟 is ready for surgery