The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2024 | 07:12 PM
Running On Empty

John - This guy knows exactly how to tune a chain saw - put it in your Bookmarks...

Old August 19th, 2024 | 07:21 PM

Excellent.
Old August 19th, 2024 | 07:35 PM
Running On Empty

My Husqvarna 445 uses this tool. 21-teeth (splines)

Hipa Carburetor Adjustment Tool Screwdriver 530035560 for 2 Cycle Poulan Homelite STHIL Husqvarna Echo Chainsaw Trimmer Lawn Mower Edger Husqvarna Adjustment Tool Hipa Carburetor Adjustment Tool Screwdriver 530035560 for 2 Cycle Poulan Homelite STHIL Husqvarna Echo Chainsaw Trimmer Lawn Mower Edger Husqvarna Adjustment Tool
Old August 19th, 2024 | 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Tonight George committed to purchasing my Indian motorcycle.
Congrats Norm, I hope ya get the deal done! 👍
Old August 19th, 2024 | 08:31 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Congrats Norm, I hope ya get the deal done! 👍
Thanks. It would be nice.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; August 19th, 2024 at 08:46 PM. Reason: sp
Old August 20th, 2024 | 03:54 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Heard the alarm at 215 and just wasn't feeling it. Even got up and had breakfast, then decided I really wasn't feeling it and went back to bed for a couple hours. Made a world of difference. The only bad thing was I had to hear the alarm twice.

So at 4 I get up and ready to jump in the shower. I get the water going to the right temp, turn the diverter valve thing and I hear this clunk, and the pressure goes to part power. Temp was fine, just reduce pressure. So after I got dressed I ran all around the house looking for a water leak. None. In fact, full pressure at all the other water outlets. So here's a question. Do the water valves have a fail safe built in that will limit pressure when they are about ready to fail? I've had a drip from the hot water valve in the shower for a few days. Lately though it hasn't been leaking, but I wonder if valve somehow went tango uniform and it's limiting pressure. Still no leak, though. Who the hell knows. Hm I didn't think to go back to the shower to see if it was working regular again. Maybe it was just a fluke. Not a meter.

Overtime people built up a lot of wheels this morning. Barring anything unforeseen we should do okay today with our 10 extra. He's already rumbling about double time on Sunday. I wouldn't mind that. Gotta do floors at Mom's now so some double time would help out there.

Chris any word on the car? Have you been sweeping and cleaning the garage getting ready for the grand return? I think your shoulder needs a hot tub.

Got 7 wheels signed already, probably what I would have signed on overtime. Hope it keeps up.

Have a good day everyone.

Old August 20th, 2024 | 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Chris any word on the car? Have you been sweeping and cleaning the garage getting ready for the grand return? I think your shoulder needs a hot tub.
Mike - That's weird about the shower water diverter and the loss of pressure. I've never had that happen before.

The guy called me in the early afternoon yesterday and told me the car would not be done yesterday because he was not going to be able to get his hands on some of the parts until later in the afternoon. He said probably today. I said no rush. Today really is not good for me to pick it up because my wife will be gone doing a quick in home furniture restoration for a woman and my wife doesn't really know when she'll be home to pick me up and run me to the car to pick it up. Kinda just gonna have to play it by ear. Won't break my heart if it's not today because of the logistics situation.
Old August 20th, 2024 | 12:54 PM

Frank Chiechi
I recognise the name, not sure if from here or other Olds forums, maybe from JWO. Took the '72 for it's first cruise last night, fired up immediately after four days with out pumping the gas. Stopped at my brothers a mere mile and a half away, and went to leave, and I had to crank it a bit. It shouldn't be heat soak,as it never got warm enough, and it was fast cranking, not sluggish. I could feel a little surging while driving, so I'm thinking carb rebuild. Not sure if the previous owner used ethanol treatment or not. I was surprised at how well it moved out with the two barrel, I may keep it, rather than going to a four pot. Std. gears were the 2:78's, with 3:08's and 3:23's optional. At some point, I'll pull the diff. cover and find out for sure. Front end felt a little sloppy, I have a front end shop that I use, so I'll have them take a look at it to see what needs to be done. last, but not least, with the top down, I took a cruise down by Lake Michigan. Nice.

Last edited by 1969w3155; August 20th, 2024 at 12:57 PM.
Old August 20th, 2024 | 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Took the '72 for it's first cruise last night, fired up immediately after four days with out pumping the gas. . . Last, but not least, with the top down, I took a cruise down by Lake Michigan. Nice.
Good for you Dan! Glad you're getting it out already and enjoying it! Sounds like the minor issues should be easily addressed. 👍
Old August 20th, 2024 | 01:33 PM

Good afternoon guys,

4-4-2 Repairs Update:
Well, as it turns out, the rear axle with the destroyed bearing was determined not to be salvageable after the bad bearing was cut off. The man working on my car went to Columbia, MO 104-miles away to pick up an entire '67 rear end and he will use one of the axles for my car. Obviously not going to be done today. I don't have a problem with that at all because it was going to be later before I could get up to his place today anyway, and I don't enjoy driving the car after dark because of the dim old fashioned headlights. That's where we're at.

Hope everyone has had a great day!
Old August 20th, 2024 | 02:22 PM
Running On Empty

I don't enjoy driving the car after dark because of the dim old fashioned headlights. That's where we're at.
Chris - Super easy fix to address the old dim headlamp issue & maintain your original headlamps. Read through this thread. Note both VC455 (Gary) and my posts. You can install either one or two relays and you'll automagically double the brightness - guaranteed. Employing a relay reduces the resistance on that circuit. This is particularly significant for headlamps where/since a heavy load is being applied. Removing this resistance employing one or two relays will double the brightness of your headlamps. And, you won't even see the relay(s).

Headlights

Old August 20th, 2024 | 02:24 PM
Running On Empty

Stroked it nicely today. Gorgeous weather.
Old August 20th, 2024 | 02:39 PM

Chris - Super easy fix to address the old dim headlamp issue & maintain your original headlamps. Read through this thread. Note both VC455 (Gary) and my posts. You can install either one or two relays and you'll automagically double the brightness - guaranteed. Employing a relay reduces the resistance on that circuit. This is particularly significant for headlamps where/since a heavy load is being applied. Removing this resistance employing one or two relays will double the brightness of your headlamps. And, you won't even see the relay(s).

Headlights
Sounds good Norm, I'll check it out! 👍
Old August 20th, 2024 | 04:31 PM
Running On Empty

Took the '72 for it's first cruise last night, fired up immediately after four days with out pumping the gas. Stopped at my brothers a mere mile and a half away, and went to leave, and I had to crank it a bit. It shouldn't be heat soak,as it never got warm enough, and it was fast cranking, not sluggish. I could feel a little surging while driving, so I'm thinking carb rebuild. Not sure if the previous owner used ethanol treatment or not. I was surprised at how well it moved out with the two barrel, I may keep it, rather than going to a four pot.
Dan - Stock OEM two barrel or aftermarket (Holley or otherwise)?
Stock OEM iron intake manifold or aftermarket (Edelbrock or otherwise)?
Stock OEM contact points IGN or aftermarket?
A/F mixture look good w/ a vacuum gauge?

Slight/Little surges are an annoyance (PITA) to figure out.
Speaking of heat soak. I had two Harley Davidson motorcycles in the 1970s - Sportsters. I carried an extra set of points everywhere I went. Engines were notorious for heating up in slow riding conditions. Heat caused points cavitation so bad you'd think the points surfaces had melted like solder some times. Craziest $hit I ever saw. Pull off the road, quickly R&R points and back on the road no issues. When the engine started surging I knew it was time to pull over and replace the points. Annoying. Eventually I figured out I had to ride faster than fast everywhere.
Old August 20th, 2024 | 05:24 PM

4-4-2 Repairs Update:
Well, as it turns out, the rear axle with the destroyed bearing was determined not to be salvageable after the bad bearing was cut off. The man working on my car went to Columbia, MO 104-miles away to pick up an entire '67 rear end and he will use one of the axles for my car. Obviously not going to be done today. I don't have a problem with that at all because it was going to be later before I could get up to his place today anyway, and I don't enjoy driving the car after dark because of the dim old fashioned headlights. That's where we're at.
4-4-2 Repair Update
Car is done and ready to be picked up.
- All new rear brake components, including drums turned and new master cylinders. Emergency brake adjusted.
- The axle he pulled from the whole '67 Rear End he went to pick up in Columbia, MO was fine. Both axles now have new bearings, seals, and retaining flanges. I get to keep anything I want from the whole '67 Rear End he purchased in Columbia. I don't have room for an entire Rear End, but at a minimum I'm taking the other rear axle.
- He said the Posi-carrier and gears all looked fresh with no debris or crud. He cleaned everything and then refilled with new gear oil and posi-additive.
- He noticed one of the rubber exhaust hanger straps near the back had rotted and broke. He replaced them both, because it was only a matter of time before the other was going to break.
- Also, while inspecting the Rear End he noticed one of the rear Coil Springs was not seated in the pocket correctly and he fixed that.

Picking it up tomorrow around 10am.
Old August 21st, 2024 | 02:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Felt better at 2 this morning so I got ready and came in. Lots of wheels everywhere and no one to do anything with them. The fire marshal would have a heyday.

Chris that's great news about the car. I'm sure you could find room for that diff, stand it up in the corner. Or put it in the living room as a coffee table.

The weak water pressure persisted in the shower today. But today it got weaker as time went on. It has to be the valve, the pressure is good everywhere else and there are no leaks. Weird.

Dan you can't beat a convertible. Given my choice between a quad and a Rochester 2 Jet I'd take the 2 Jet any day. Simpler, and I think it responds a little better. For regular cruising I don't think the difference is all that much.

Almost time for the real start of the day. We're having a meeting with the new foreman today. He's only been here a few months... Hope everyone has a good Hump Day.

Old August 21st, 2024 | 03:09 AM

Dan great you are out in the wind. Sounds like many smiles to the gallon.

Chris the project sounded like it went well and you will be back in the saddle in no time, awesome.

Norm good to hear you are out enjoying your game

John would you ever consider a battery operated chainsaw if you replace yours, I think they have come a long way lately

Old August 21st, 2024 | 06:13 AM

Good morning everyone.

Chris that's great news about the car.
Originally Posted by otto72
Chris the project sounded like it went well and you will be back in the saddle in no time, awesome.
Mike/Keith - Thanks for kind comments about the car repairs.
I misspoke about 1 item when describing the repairs, it was the individual rear wheel brake cylinders replaced as part of the brake job, not the Master Brake Cylinder. It should be an interesting and somewhat anxious ride home, despite the fact I trust the man's work. Leaving to go pick it up around 10am CST, it's about a 50-mile drive to his place. I will update later with a description of how the drive home went.
Old August 21st, 2024 | 06:23 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - You have either one or both scenarios yielding a low pressure shower scenario: (1) The shower head itself is saturated/clogged with mineral deposits/debris; &/or (2) a broken, clogged or misaligned water pressure regulator w/in the shower faucet valve apparatus (where you turn on the shower).

NOTE: There are basically two pressure regulators: (1) One is contained inside the shower head itself - a common area where mineral deposits/debris blocks the pressure regulator. They're often plastic. Remove the shower head, then remove the pressure regulator. If that's the issue you'll regain pressure; (2) Mineral deposits/debris have clogged the pressure regulator inside the faucet apparatus, the pressure regulator has broken, or the pressure regulator is misaligned (for some reason) - most likely it's clogged/caked w/ mineral deposits. This pressure regulator (inside the faucet) can often be freed up with vigorous turning from open-to-close back & forth positions to nudge out remove stale mineral deposits to regain pressure i.e. a damn good cleaning. In some faucets there might also be a sediment cartridge (filter) which you can change. This depends on manufacturer & model (Moen, Delta, Pfister, etc.). The pressure regulator inside the faucet is open in the horizontal position closed vertical. Sometimes you can rotate open/close numerous times to unclog. I've found since you're in there R&R of a new faucet is best.

NOTE #2: (1) The above assumes you have no leaks you said you don't; (2) Not sure if you have a standalone shower or a tub + shower faucet (valve). Does the tub have pressure? Shower & tub would feed from same faucet so check if tub has low pressure if from same faucet.
Old August 21st, 2024 | 06:24 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Enjoy your brief stay in St. Charles & the ride home.
Old August 21st, 2024 | 10:23 AM
Running On Empty

It should be an interesting and somewhat anxious ride home, despite the fact I trust the man's work. Leaving to go pick it up around 10am CST, it's about a 50-mile drive to his place. I will update later with a description of how the drive home went.
Old August 21st, 2024 | 12:39 PM

Hi guys, hope everyone if having a great day!

Car is Home!
No issues on the ride home, the car drove great. 90% of the drive home was on major highways. Drove it about 65-mph most of way home, no unusual noises or vibrations. The only noticeable thing was the brakes were 200% better!

We stayed at the mechanics home quite awhile talking. He wanted to put my car up on the lift briefly and show me the extra work he did underneath. He also wanted to show us his 1972 4-4-2, W-30, 4-speed, convertible that he just finished this Spring. Aegean Aqua, with white stripes, white interior, and white top. As pretty an Oldsmobile as I've ever seen! It's 1 of only 33, W-30 4-speed convertibles built in '72. He just took Best in Class with it in the Performance Class at the Oldsmobile Nationals a couple of weeks ago. He also showed us his 1936 Oldsmobile 2-door Coupe Street Rod. It's purple with ghost flames, another really cool car. It was a nice visit. We even got invited to a party at his place on September 14th!

Well, all seems right with the world again, glad she's home and ready to roll again! 👍
Old August 21st, 2024 | 01:10 PM
Running On Empty

Well, all seems right with the world again, glad she's home and ready to roll again! 👍
Chris - Great. I look forward to the incessant ritual of polishing every hour. Yes, I will bust your *****.
Old August 21st, 2024 | 01:17 PM

Chris that's great news about the car. I'm sure you could find room for that diff, stand it up in the corner.
They don't really take up much room.

Old August 21st, 2024 | 02:25 PM

Chris - Great. I look forward to the incessant ritual of polishing every hour. Yes, I will bust your *****.
Bust away, and I'll do a few "wax ons/wax offs" in your honor!
Old August 21st, 2024 | 02:26 PM
Running On Empty

Bust away, and I'll do a few "wax ons/wax offs" in your honor!
That a'boy!
Old August 21st, 2024 | 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
They don't really take up much room.

Unless I could find a way to hide them, the HOA ***** would be on me like a fly on $hit if I did that!
Old August 21st, 2024 | 02:31 PM
Running On Empty

I get to keep anything I want from the whole '67 Rear End he purchased in Columbia. I don't have room for an entire Rear End, but at a minimum I'm taking the other rear axle.
Consider cutting the rear-end into x4 pieces & attaching some anchor chain to each piece. Make nice Christmas gifts for the boater friends on your gift list.
Old August 21st, 2024 | 02:55 PM

The man does take car of his ride. I washed my 72 at the H/OCA nats. I was done in 15 min, no hurry. A young man with his 72 spent about an hour on the wheels.

I shall have to take care of the next car at Chris's level.
Old August 21st, 2024 | 04:30 PM

Unless I could find a way to hide them, the HOA ***** would be on me like a fly on $hit if I did that!
I keep them behind the garage so they're not visible from the street during the HOA inspections. Don't you have a basement?
Old August 21st, 2024 | 04:33 PM
Running On Empty

Don't you have a basement?
What's wrong w/ under the bed?
Old August 21st, 2024 | 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I shall have to take care of the next car at Chris's level.
Ya, I have the time and energy, and enjoy taking care of the cosmetic stuff and making it look pretty. I wish I had the mechanical knowledge that many of you do so I could do a better job taking care of that side of things. I'm very envious of many of you guy's mechanical knowledge. I'm learning slowly.
Old August 21st, 2024 | 05:04 PM

I keep them behind the garage so they're not visible from the street during the HOA inspections. Don't you have a basement?
Kenneth - Yep, I have 1,900 sq ft of basement, and 95% of it is full, primarily with furniture pieces, and supplies/tools/paints/stains for her furniture refinishing business. We are also both pack rats by nature, holding onto crap we've never used in 30-years. You'll have to trust me when I say we don't have the space in the basement or the garage to store a complete rear end. Like I said, I did bring home the remaining axle out of it. I didn't ask him if it had a posi carrier in it. In retrospect, I wished I'd asked him if it had a posi in it and what gears? Not that I'd want to change because I like the 3.42's currently in my car, but it wouldn't hurt to have a backup if it had a posi and other reasonable ratio. I wouldn't want anything lower than 3.23's though.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 21st, 2024 at 05:09 PM.
Old August 21st, 2024 | 05:18 PM

Norm, factory stock under the hood. I will go with Pertronix sometime in the future. Chris, great turn around on the Olds, maybe that coil spring was your noise maker in the rear? I'd love to see that W30. Went to a car show at a local boat club. Met my buddy there with his 442. very good turn out. What's weird is all of the local cars that were there that I have never seen at a local show. Makes me think that they stick them in their garage, never to be driven. A friend of mine was there with his recent purchase, he had a '70 Lincoln MkIII, well he bought a beautiful black '56 Continental MkII. Damn fine looking car. Got my B.F.G. T/A's installed about 30 minutes before I went to the show.
Old August 21st, 2024 | 05:32 PM
Running On Empty

...maybe that coil spring was your noise maker in the rear?
The exact thought crossed my mind, or the exhaust hanger.
Old August 21st, 2024 | 06:41 PM

Chris, great turn around on the Olds, maybe that coil spring was your noise maker in the rear? I'd love to see that W30.
The exact thought crossed my mind, or the exhaust hanger.
Dan/Norm - I thought the same thing.when he told me the one Coil Spring was not seated in the pocket correctly. I had always thought that it was weird how that rear end noise would randomly come and go, sometimes with me not hearing it for months. Almost impossible to isolate. Maybe with that Spring seated incorrectly, and just the right bump or road condition and that's what made the noise? As Norm mentioned, the cause of the noise could have been the bad hanger and the pipe was making contact somewhere, but I don't think so because there was another hanger aft of the broken one and that whole side seemed very solid and stable even with the one broken hanger.

Dan, yes it was a great turnaround, especially when he had to drive over 200-miles round-trip one day to pick-up the Rear End he salvaged the used axle from. As long as this guy has been working on cars, and he's 70, what he did for me he's probably done a hundred times and could do it blind folded. I will look to see if I can find his W-30 in Journey with Old's or in pics of Nationals that were posted on CO and I will post it/them.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 21st, 2024 at 07:11 PM.
Old August 21st, 2024 | 07:33 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - If you lived closer I'd drop in a couple of headlamp relays for you to double your brightness so you could enjoy driving more in the dusky hours.
Old August 21st, 2024 | 07:48 PM
Running On Empty

Honestly, I'm very amazed you found someone (you never met) with his level of knowledge in such a short very short period of time. I'm equally amazed how he took complete ownership of your situation, picked up your car, found a rear-end, drove to get the rear end, performed the R&R & had it road worthy serviceable for you in "record" breaking time. You are one extremely fortunate cookie!!
Old August 21st, 2024 | 08:04 PM

Chris - If you lived closer I'd drop in a couple of headlamp relays for you to double your brightness so you could enjoy driving more in the dusky hours.
Honestly, I'm very amazed you found someone (you never met) with his level of knowledge in such a short very short period of time. I'm equally amazed how he took complete ownership of your situation, picked up your car, found a rear-end, drove to get the rear end, performed the R&R & had it road worthy serviceable for you in "record" breaking time. You are one extremely fortunate cookie!!
Norm - Appreciate the thought on the headlamp relays, very kind of you.

Me finding the guy who worked on my car was not happenstance by any means. I thought for sure that I had mentioned that Randi B. (Bardle), who did the work for me, is in the StL Archway Oldsmobile Club with me. Everyone I've ever heard talk about Randy working on their car, have nothing but respect and reverence for his knowledge and skill. In these parts, He da Man!
Old August 22nd, 2024 | 02:49 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Chris I'm glad you got your car back and you're happy with it. Maybe all he did was wash the windshield. When I was a kid and worked at the dealership, they told me to always wash the windshield on a car that just had work done on it. A car with a clean windshield runs better.

Dan one of my "bucket" cars is a Lincoln Mark II. They are big. There's a II in the museum I'm a member of that has a 426 hemi in it. Seems like an odd combination but it looks nice. It belonged Bill Harrah, the guy who owned the museum. When you have a lot of [someone else's] money you can do things like that.

Didn't knock 'em dead with overtime this morning but we didn't do too badly. No idea what's in store for today, but I know the lead won't be here so things will run better. Got some chores to do after work today, maybe I'll look at that shower head. If I can't find an easy fix then I'm taking my shower upstairs tomorrow.

Okay have a good day everyone.