The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2024 | 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Rain for sale....rain for sale...

Next two weeks...

NO THANKS!!!!!!
Old July 18th, 2024 | 06:06 PM

Extended Forecast for

Baraboo WI

• Tonight

Low: 51 °F

Mostly Clear
  • Friday

High: 78 °F

Mostly Sunny
  • Friday Night

Low: 58 °F

Partly Cloudy
  • Saturday

High: 80 °F

Mostly Sunny
  • Saturday Night

Low: 62 °F

Mostly Cloudy
  • Sunday

High: 80 °F

Partly Sunny
    then Chance
    T-storms
  • Sunday Night

Low: 61 °F

Mostly Cloudy
  • Monday

High: 81 °F

Mostly Sunny
    then Chance
    T-storms
  • Monday Night

Low: 61 °F

Mostly Cloudy

Wish I could bottle this forecast and share it with all my Olds friends...
    Cheers!
Old July 18th, 2024 | 06:44 PM

Amazon Prime offered a 30day trial for no cost. As part of the trial Amazon Prime TV is included (I have had it before and enjoyed the variety for the 15bucks a month) any who... I stumbled on the 90's series "Northern Exposure"
Over the past few weeks I really have enjoyed revisiting the show. For any of you looking for something to view and enjoy with some down time, check it out.

Old July 18th, 2024 | 06:51 PM

Norm I did look at the netflix program you suggested "Turning Point" the cold war, I am now starting "Turning Point 9/11 war on terror
Old July 18th, 2024 | 07:02 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Norm I did look at the netflix program you suggested "Turning Point" the cold war, I am now starting "Turning Point 9/11 war on terror
Keith - I happened to notice Turning Point: 9/11 War On Terror" was listed, also. I never heard of either the producer/director(?) or that movie, but he's the same producer/director. I think "Turning Point" is how he refers to his movies, I guess? I've seen & read so many 9/11 movies, documentaries, etc. I'm not sure I'm up for another. It was a very, very overcast (9/11) day and weeks for me.
Old July 18th, 2024 | 07:18 PM

Wish I could bottle this forecast and share it with all my Olds friends...
Cheers!
I wish you could, too. Your daytime high temp is less than our night time low temp.

Old July 18th, 2024 | 07:37 PM

Keith - Like me, looks like you're headed into a beautiful stretch of weather.

We use our Amazon Prime membership all the time, probably too much, but I usually find cheaper pricing on there than anywhere else for most things. Like you mentioned, we also take regular advantage of the free TV shows..

Norm pretty much hit the nail on the head when he posted about 9/11 Movies or Shows. I lived and breathed the aftermath of 9/11 at work for 17-years until the day I retired. The world changed forever that day more than most people will ever know!
Old July 18th, 2024 | 07:48 PM

Norm and Chris yes the 9/11 is some heavy duty energy consumption.

The "Northern Exposure" programs are much lighter yet thought provoking at the same time.

Chris good you are getting a break with the weather stretch. Kenneth time is marching on and you will soon be in your better season.
Old July 18th, 2024 | 09:33 PM

Kenneth time is marching on and you will soon be in your better season.
Yes, I am counting the days!
Old July 19th, 2024 | 02:51 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Tiger couldn't go to Mom's this morning so I slept a couple extra hours and came in for normal time. Was actually kind of nice. I don't know what to wish for as far as overtime this weekend. I like the extra money, but I have things I need to do and need the extra time. Looks like I'll be headed into Tennessee for a parts car before my trip to Ohio. What fun.

John last I heard Uhaul won't sell their used trailers. Don't know why. Can't be a liability thing, they sell their used trucks. But I tell you what, if they ever did sell them I'd buy as many as I could. I love those trailers.

Rain yesterday afternoon. Rain all weekend. Rain next week. I won't sell it, I'll give it away! This effectively ends my mowing for quite awhile. Can't use an electric mower on wet grass. I planned on doing some mowing when I got home yesterday, but Leo called and that was 38 minutes of not mowing. I went out to beat the storm and didn't. Eh, Leo is doing something for me so I couldn't very well blow him off. Not that I would. But I really would have like to do some of the mowing.

Jamesbo what if the Not Green Enough people wanted to come dig their own grave(as it were) would you let them? I'm sure there are specs as to how it needs to come out, could you give them directions and a shovel? That could be a new section, do it yourself cemetery.

Time to get ready. Looks like the overtime people really turned it out this morning. The lead wasn't here yesterday and I'm sure won't be here today. Maybe we can get done and get out. Or not. Have a good weekend everyone.

Old July 19th, 2024 | 05:09 AM

Amazon Prime offered a 30day trial for no cost. As part of the trial Amazon Prime TV is included (I have had it before and enjoyed the variety for the 15bucks a month) any who... I stumbled on the 90's series "Northern Exposure"
Over the past few weeks I really have enjoyed revisiting the show. For any of you looking for something to view and enjoy with some down time, check it out.
You got really lucky finding it right now. For years the last couple seasons have been hard to get due to rights issues with some of the background music. I think seasons 1-3 have been online for a while but nothing past that until now. I think we are in s4 or s5 right now..
Old July 19th, 2024 | 06:46 AM

Mike, Do it yourself cemeteries would never work People would phuque it up I used to allow families to install their own marker until I had to stop because they put them on the wrong grave. There's a marker up there right now that the family installed [to avoid paying us] and the put it on the center of the disturbed ground and when [not if] it sinks I'm going to charge them twice what it would have cost to do it right the 1st time
Old July 19th, 2024 | 07:19 AM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mike, Do it yourself cemeteries would never work People would phuque it up
(Doing my best Kramer) It's all supervised!

Old July 19th, 2024 | 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, "Green" or Natural are very subjective ideas. Some people think we aren't green enough because we don't dig the gave by hand These are the same people who plant a trillium on their Natural graves [ I would call that gardening not natural]
This is super interesting to me. My wife and I both want as direct as possible to the dirt burial with no embalming. I know this is becoming more and more acceptable across the country. Im even good with the composting idea but she is on the fence. We haven't decided on where we will settle down yet so have not pursued any permanent plans.

She had an uncle who spent his life on his farm and on working barges on the Mississippi. His wishes were to have his wake at his home and be buried on the family plot on the farm.
The funeral home said they had not done an at home service in years, and then checked with the state... no problem. When the wake was over we carried him out and put him on a trailer behind his favorite tractor and drove down the the farm. They had setup a tent and chairs and the grave was nicely dug like any other cemetery. all in all it was perfect

It made such an impact on us, having the family all involved and doing exactly what you want... it is one of the things that got us interested in what we wanted....

sorry to ramble, I just had no idea that what you did..
Old July 19th, 2024 | 08:28 AM

Matts. That's one of the unique things about getting involved and not turning everything over to a traditional funeral home service

Last edited by Jamesbo; July 19th, 2024 at 09:08 AM.
Old July 19th, 2024 | 12:37 PM

Hi guys - Just a gorgeous day here today, 80° at 2:20 and bright blue skies.

Had to go pick up Gabe at the County Fairgrounds this morning at 0830 and take him home. The County Fair in Hillsboro, MO started last night and his Boy Scout Troop is helping pick up trash each morning to prepare for the next day.

Took advantage of the cooler weather when I got home to rotate the tires on our daily driver. There are 55K-miles on the original 2017 tires and the fronts are close to being at the wear bars. Quite a bit of tread left on the rears that I moved to the front. I'll reevaluate in the late Fall whether I want to put on a new set before Winter.

The nice cruise-in that started this year at Culvers in Festus is tomorrow evening and I'm planning on going. My buddy with the Vette is going to meet me there if his road has dried out since the heavy rains.

Hope everyone has a great day and weekend!
Old July 19th, 2024 | 02:34 PM

Same weather for me otto72. Just a day later usually. I used to watch Northern Exposure when the deries originally aired. Took the cat in for his annual shots etc., that ain't getting any cheaper. Gave him some deli turkey when we got home, so he seems to be over it. He is currently laying between the keyboard and the computer screen.
Old July 19th, 2024 | 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Same weather for me otto72. Just a day later usually. I used to watch Northern Exposure when the deries originally aired. Took the cat in for his annual shots etc., that ain't getting any cheaper. Gave him some deli turkey when we got home, so he seems to be over it. He is currently laying between the keyboard and the computer screen.
Dan - I hear ya on the Vet bills. We took our male dog Monty in for a tail infection 2-weeks ago, and after an in-Vet cytology of the tissue it was determined he had a bacterial infection. He was put on a 2-week antibiotic. He had to go back for a follow-up check yesterday. Between the 2 visits the cost was very close to $400! I love our 2 pups to death, but if I have anything to say about it, these will be our last. She can get more when I'm gone.
Old July 19th, 2024 | 03:42 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Cruise-in...at...Festus...tomorrow evening...

Old July 19th, 2024 | 03:56 PM
Always room for one more

So the world-wide computer outage affected us in a big way. I didn't realize my computer wasn't supposed to work until I had been using it for a half hour. Only a couple computers in the shop worked. Right at the end a woman from IT came and got them all going. PFM I think.

So we're working tomorrow but not Sunday. Fine by me. Gives me Sunday to myself. We might forego Walmart and go another day, just because we can.

There's a car and some parts up in Tennessee I want to go get. I'm not sure all the parts will fit in the car and the back of my truck, so I was going to rent a small Uhaul and tow my trailer up there. The cost to rent the Uhaul was 19.95 but the 79 cents per mile charge was like 400 bucks. I'm not paying that. So I thought, this is the opportune time to look at trailers. Looked around on the internet and found the place in Conyers I had been to before had just what I wanted, so Tiger and I went there after work and pulled one home. Brand new, 8.5ft wide, 24ft long, 7ft tall. 5200lb axles with brakes. LED lights. I plan on getting a lot of use out of it.

So going to the trailer place I went past two places they're putting in round a bouts. I hate those things. I know people like them, but around here people stop when there's no cars in the circle, and they go and cut cars off when there are. When I am in the big truck I just go straight over the curbs. No one gets in my way.

Time to get ready for the evening. A couple episodes of MASH then it's home and to bed. Have a good night everyone.

Old July 19th, 2024 | 04:07 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - You're going to love that trailer. Congrats on grabbing it. Rockland Cargo Equipment?
Old July 19th, 2024 | 04:10 PM

Well golly Mathew, you didn't tell me you were gonna show everyone that new fangled tintype of me!
Old July 19th, 2024 | 04:11 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Round a bouts. I hate those things. I know people like them, but around here people stop when there's no cars in the circle, and they go and cut cars off when there are.
Same thing around here. Some people shouldn't have a DL.
Old July 19th, 2024 | 04:27 PM

So the world-wide computer outage affected us in a big way. I didn't realize my computer wasn't supposed to work until I had been using it for a half hour. Only a couple computers in the shop worked. Right at the end a woman from IT came and got them all going.
We were affected, too. Our super-tech was already applying the fix to our lab computers when I got there, but as my luck goes he wasn't able to get mine going. It would just keep auto rebooting and shutting down, so I had to contact corporate IT.

Told the kid the computer was in a boot-up loop and kept shutting down.
She wanted to remote in to look at it.
I asked how she was going to do that if the computer wouldn't boot up and run.

Finally got my computer fixed at 3:30, so only 7 hours. Not too bad for IT.

I went past two places they're putting in round a bouts. I hate those things. I know people like them, but around here people stop when there's no cars in the circle, and they go and cut cars off when there are.
Same thing around here. Some people shouldn't have a DL.
Same here as well. Apparently it's universal.
Old July 19th, 2024 | 04:52 PM
Running On Empty

Y'all probably remember this? NOTE: (Sarcasm) Mathematics plays a significant role here. From most accounts I've witnessed, the next generation(s) will be math illiterates. I'm in nerd mode.

Apophis

Old July 19th, 2024 | 05:46 PM

I'm in nerd mode.
I'm buying a hard hat just in case.
Old July 19th, 2024 | 08:32 PM

Well summer officially sucks. This is my swimming pool temperature at 8:30 pm after the sun has been down for an hour.

I can’t even cool down in the pool.

Old July 19th, 2024 | 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Well summer officially sucks. This is my swimming pool temperature at 8:30 pm after the sun has been down for an hour.

I can’t even cool down in the pool.

I lived in St.George, Utah from 2019 to 2022. I feel your pain. I ran the pool filter at night, Like from 3:00AM to 7 or 8 AM. It helped some. And added sun shade over the pool and everything else I could cover. Added misters over my sitting area and as much of the pool I could. The air was 20+ degrees cooler and it also help cool the pool.

Old July 19th, 2024 | 10:12 PM

Nice setup. I have a similar solar shade over the pool but took it down before the recent thunderstorms. Lots of trees downed all over the neighborhood a few days ago. Glad I took the shade down and didn‘t sustain damage. Basic rule is the water temperature matches the overnight ambient air temperature, so it’ll drop a few degrees and be 90 by dawn. Yea.

Last edited by Fun71; July 19th, 2024 at 10:22 PM.
Old July 20th, 2024 | 02:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

For 3 in the morning, there sure were a lot of asshats out this morning. In my neck of the woods, it's hard to tell if they are drunk or just shitty. And then add rain. Hm. Maybe they are powdered asshats. Just add water. I only saw one car with its flashers on in the rain.

Norm you are absolutely right. I've bought from Rockland before. A few years ago I bought a tow dolly. A thousand bucks brand new. I'm not a fan of tow dolly's but it comes in handy sometimes. Yesterday I talked with some girl, she seemed like she couldn't be more disinterested in helping me, I was a little miffed. But the longer I was there it seemed like she didn't feel well, so I talked quieter.

With this morning's rain there will be no mowing this afternoon. The grass is taller than Tiger in spots at Mom's house. Maybe I can take the weed eater and hack some of it down. The difference between using an electric mower and and electric weed trimmer? The weed trimmer is all plastic. Come to think of it, so is the mower. Maybe I will do some mowing today...

Well an hour in and things are finally getting going. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old July 20th, 2024 | 05:09 AM

What a beautiful morning!!

Old July 20th, 2024 | 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
What a beautiful morning!!
Beautiful shot, have a great weekend! 👍
Old July 20th, 2024 | 07:47 AM
Running On Empty

I was on a 3.5 month romp through the Northwest down through Zion, etc. in 2012. I never really new how prone Utah was to wildfires. I rode (Indian motorcycle) into St. George from Zion one day (September) for a leisurely day cruise. On my return to Zion in the late evening I was amazed at the number of hillside mountains ablaze w/ wildfires. Instead of a normal 45' ride I spent ~3hrs cruising the various hillsides on fire. It was devastating.
Old July 20th, 2024 | 08:21 AM

I was on a 3.5 month romp through the Northwest down through Zion, etc. in 2012. I never really new how prone Utah was to wildfires. I rode (Indian motorcycle) into St. George from Zion one day (September) for a leisurely day cruise. On my return to Zion in the late evening I was amazed at the number of hillside mountains ablaze w/ wildfires. Instead of a normal 45' ride I spent ~3hrs cruising the various hillsides on fire. It was devastating.
Norm - Sounds kinda sketchy, sure glad you didn't get up on those hillsides and get cutoff. I don't remember exactly what year it was, probably around 2002 or 2003, we had 2 defense contractors in Melbourne, FL doing emergency projects for us that I was overseeing. We would fly into Orlando and take Hwy 528 east then hit US 95 south to Melbourne. On one trip we got on 95 southbound and went a short distance and got stopped by emergency vehicles because wildfires had breached 95 in multiple places just south of us. We were stuck sitting on 95 for over 3 hours until they determined it was safe for us to proceed south. No fun, but at least we had almost a full tank of gas and A/C.
Old July 20th, 2024 | 08:29 AM

I had many friends and customers who visited me in St George on their motorcycles. It is just beautiful! I had three years of driving around the area. Zion, Gunlock state park, Red Cliffs National Conservation Area and so much more. Very unique it has 6 plant hardness zones in a 2-hour ride north and south. Every type of fruit or vegetable grow there. My first summer there. you can see snow on Signal Peak. And when the wind blew from the north. It was a cool breeze!

Gunlock state park

Red Cliffs National Conservation Area​​​​​​​

Me (Yes, that big hairy animal) and my wise-*** daughter Sharon in the pool. She is a chip off the old block.
Old July 20th, 2024 | 08:42 AM

Highwaystar 442 - That looks like an absolutely beautiful area, definitely no shortage of great places to drive or ride to. I'm jealous! I would have never guessed that was you in the last pic! Thanks for posting the beautiful pics.

Edit - Sorry I wasn't giving you the credit for the pics, my mind went haywire and I thought Norm had posted them!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 20th, 2024 at 09:25 AM.
Old July 20th, 2024 | 08:48 AM
Running On Empty

Excellent pictures. I'd been to Pacific NW numerous occasions over the years, the old original Route 66 (1960s several times start-to-finish) family vacations, but never really spent time in Grand Canyon area(s). A friend, Superintendent Redwoods National Park, was retiring during my trip, so I stopped to see him at the park. I was in a Ford F450 flatbed (5th wheel/goose neck) cargo utility box stake body dragging a 40' toy hauler (w/ Indian in the back). I considered it my retirement trip (one year after retirement). I more or less "resided" in numerous parks throughout Utah/Arizona and elsewhere for a couple weeks at a time in each park - it was a killer trip. Each park operating basically as my base camp. I'd loan gear into my dry bags, toss them on the bike, then head off for overnight stays wherever my feet landed, then return to base camp.
Old July 20th, 2024 | 08:48 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - That looks like an absolutely beautiful area, definitely no shortage of great places to ride to. I'm jealous! I would have never guessed that was you in the last pic! Thanks for posting the beautiful pics.
Say what?
Old July 20th, 2024 | 09:18 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Me (Yes, that big hairy animal)...
Grizzly Bear.

Most interesting man in the world.
Old July 20th, 2024 | 09:37 AM

Say what?
Exactly, I F'ed up! I have corrected it.