The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2022, 08:48 AM

One law I wish would pass is federal permanent DST. I don't like coming home at 4:30pm and it's dark already. On the other hand, I do like driving into work in broad daylight on icy days.
Old November 2nd, 2022, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
One law I wish would pass is federal permanent DST. I don't like coming home at 4:30pm and it's dark already. On the other hand, I do like driving into work in broad daylight on icy days.
Agree 100%! Even though I'm not driving into work anymore, I'd still like to have more daylight in the afternoon.
Old November 2nd, 2022, 09:29 AM
Always room for one more

I think it would be fun to be in Alaska and have it dark the whole day, then light the whole day. The cold weather notwithstanding.

Old November 2nd, 2022, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Agree 100%! Even though I'm not driving into work anymore, I'd still like to have more daylight in the afternoon.
Move over here. It's presently daylight from 6:48 am to 5:35 pm (10 hours, 49 minutes of daylight) and in June the sun is up from 5:18 am to 7:40 pm for just over 14 hours of brutal, blistering, unfiltered solar radiation. Good gawd, please don't let us have more afternoon sunshine during the summers. It's barely bearable to go outside after sunset as it is.
Old November 2nd, 2022, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Move over here. It's presently daylight from 6:48 am to 5:35 pm (10 hours, 49 minutes of daylight) and in June the sun is up from 5:18 am to 7:40 pm for just over 14 hours of brutal, blistering, unfiltered solar radiation. Good gawd, please don't let us have more afternoon sunshine during the summers. It's barely bearable to go outside after sunset as it is.
Staying on the DST hours you don't get any more daylight hours in the afternoon during the summer months, just an extra hour of daylight in the winter months. Going off DST here on Sunday, the sun will set at 5:00pm instead of 6.
Old November 2nd, 2022, 01:09 PM

I agree on Patel and his ilk...Fk'em! They are considering eliminating DST here as well, been so long that I can't remember which is normal time, and which is DST. Mike, my parents used to black out their windows so they could get to sleep when they lived in Alaska. Hard to do so when it's light out all of the time. 6 months of dark, or near dark, does not help ones psyche.
Old November 2nd, 2022, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I agree on Patel and his ilk...Fk'em! They are considering eliminating DST here as well, been so long that I can't remember which is normal time, and which is DST. Mike, my parents used to black out their windows so they could get to sleep when they lived in Alaska. Hard to do so when it's light out all of the time. 6 months of dark, or near dark, does not help ones psyche.
With Michigan being on the far western edge of the Eastern Time Zone, I remember it staying light until almost 10pm in the summer time with DST. Even with DST here, being on the far eastern edge of the Central Time Zone it gets dark almost an hour earlier here.
Old November 2nd, 2022, 02:00 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I'm not seeing any rain for you this weekend. All will be fine @ the lake.

There will be no rain @ the lake...
Old November 2nd, 2022, 02:11 PM

my parents used to black out their windows
I have to do similar during the summer when the sun rises a couple of hours before I do. I discovered this just after moving into the new house, when the rising sun came through the back window, through the bedroom doorway, reflected off the dresser mirror, and lit me up as I lay in bed. WTH, the sun in my eyes at 5 am?!?
We have shutters on all the widows, but in addition to ensuring the shutters are closed before going to bed, I also have to put a large piece of cardboard behind the shutters to block out the light.
Old November 2nd, 2022, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jim - I'm not seeing any rain for you this weekend. All will be fine @ the lake.

Me thinks The Great Carnac is dead wrong
Old November 2nd, 2022, 03:20 PM

Well, this part is right.
Me thinks The Great Carnac is dead
Chris, you're memory serves you well, 10pm, which made it hard to want to hit the hay in midsummer.
Old November 2nd, 2022, 03:39 PM

Chris, you're memory serves you well, 10pm, which made it hard to want to hit the hay in midsummer.
Dan - I'm guessing you were this way too! As a boy during those beautiful Michigan summers, and being out of school, we'd be outside all day until dark riding our bikes, playing baseball, riding skateboards, fishing, exploring, building forts, and a million other things. We were never indoors. By the time we came in at dark and got cleaned up, we would collapse and be out like a light until the next morning. I'm sure my parents loved that!
Old November 2nd, 2022, 03:41 PM

Exactly right!
Dan - I'm guessing you were this way too! As a boy during those beautiful Michigan summers, and being out of school, we'd be outside all day until dark riding our bikes, playing baseball, riding skateboards, fishing, exploring, building forts, and a million other things. We were never indoors. By the time we came in at dark and got cleaned up, we would collapse and be out like a light until the next morning. I'm sure my parents loved that!
Old November 2nd, 2022, 03:57 PM
Always room for one more

When I worked midnight shift it was hard for me to get ready for work in the evening. I was used to doing stuff until it was dark, then I would get ready for work. When it started staying light longer, I'd almost be late for work because I wouldn't realize what time it was.

What would really freak me out is when I walked into the building during daylight, and then I'd walk out in darkness.

Old November 2nd, 2022, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
When I worked midnight shift it was hard for me to get ready for work in the evening. I was used to doing stuff until it was dark, then I would get ready for work. When it started staying light longer, I'd almost be late for work because I wouldn't realize what time it was.

What would really freak me out is when I walked into the building during daylight, and then I'd walk out in darkness.
Mike - Nothing easy or normal about working the midnight shift. I was fortunate to have only had to work it as a summer job at Kelloggs when I was in college. The summer help always got stuck on 3rd shift from 10pm to 6am. When we'd get off at 6am, myself and some of the other young guys would hit a nearby greasy spoon that had great steak and egg breakfasts. Then we'd hit the bar across the street that catered to the factory workers getting off 3rd shift and we'd have a couple cold ones. Then I'd head home to my folks house and sleep until about noon, and then head to the lake for the afternoon until supper time. I had a couple of buddies that had ski boats and we'd spend the day sking and checking out the beach bunnies! After dinner I might get a nap for an hour or two, and then it was off to work again. You can keep that kind of schedule when you're in your late teens and early twenties, pretty sure it would kill me now!
Old November 3rd, 2022, 04:49 AM

Hi Guys, How is wifey, Ralph? We have been having some really nice fall days lately. I am enjoying them as I know what is coming! I am delaying putting away truck. I am going to put it in shop part of barn as I have for last couple years. I hope to complete paint job before it comes back out in late spring 2023. I am very apprehensive as I have learned a lot about body work, welding, paint, etc--- BUT---- Mostly I have learned how much I don't know. This last stage of body work and paint will all show, not hidden under the floor mat or inside door jambs, etc. The body shops around here don't want to do this type work and there seem to be no young guys who like to paint cars in their Dad's garage as there used to be like back in the 80's. I just ordered a Harry Chapin collection on 3 CD's on ebay. I read up about him on Wikipedia yesterday. What a talented guy. Too bad his life was cut short in a traffic accident in the early 80's. I honestly think his live CD is my favorite of all. I'll bet I have listened to it hundreds of times and still brings a tear or maybe a smile.
Old November 3rd, 2022, 05:50 AM

Headed norte with Shrimp
Old November 3rd, 2022, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hi Guys,
How is wifey, Ralph?
Greg - Thanks for asking about Dawn. She has finished the course of the steroid Prednisone that was prescribed for the horrible case of hives she had. Her itchiness is much, much, better, but not totally gone yet. It has been a tough few weeks since her surgery, mainly because of the hives. She has her 1st post-op appointment with one of the two surgeons this morning and we're hoping to get a positive update from him. Keeping our fingers crossed!

I'm looking forward to seeing updates over the winter on your truck. I love the color you picked for it! I'm sure it will be beautiful when it's done, you do very nice work!
Old November 3rd, 2022, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Headed norte with Shrimp
Jim - Safe travels and I hope you have decent weather for entertaining the cast of Spartacus!
Old November 3rd, 2022, 07:07 AM
Running On Empty

Old November 3rd, 2022, 09:20 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another slow day here in the Wheel and Brake Shop. Though we are moving along.

Chris I worked midnight shift for 24 years. I didn't mind it. I got used to sleeping when it was light out and learned to turn the phone off so I wasn't disturbed by calls. When I was president of my homeowners association people would just come to my house. I taped a little note over the doorbell every morning when I got home that said "nope." I knew it worked one night at the meeting a woman came and said I told her to get off my porch. I said I have never seen you before in my life. She told me about the note. I laughed. I said that's what you get for showing up unannounced.

Jamesbo good luck with the cast. Will they all be wearing sneakers?

I've been listening to an extended version of Pachelbel's Canon. It runs for an hour. I could listen to that forever.

Okay, Thursday.

Old November 3rd, 2022, 10:22 AM

Hi everyone.

Chris I worked midnight shift for 24 years. I didn't mind it. I got used to sleeping when it was light out and learned to turn the phone off so I wasn't disturbed by calls. When I was president of my homeowners association people would just come to my house. I taped a little note over the doorbell every morning when I got home that said "nope." I knew it worked one night at the meeting a woman came and said I told her to get off my porch. I said I have never seen you before in my life. She told me about the note. I laughed. I said that's what you get for showing up unannounced.
Mike - Wow, 24-years! Sounds miserable, but hey, if it worked for ya, more power to ya! Funny story about the lady that had showed up on your porch!
Old November 3rd, 2022, 10:25 AM

I've been listening to an extended version of Pachelbel's Canon. It runs for an hour. I could listen to that forever.

Okay, Thursday.
TAAAH COHHHS. TAAAH COHHS. I.... LIKE..... TAAAH COHHHS.
​​​​​​​TAAAH COHHHS. <and a burrrritooooo> TAAAH COHHS. <and refried beans> I.... LIKE..... TAAAH COHHHS.

How about some beeeer? Now, that's a great ideaar....
The Taco Bell Canon, as badly remembered by me.

Real lyrics below:

​​​​​​​I like tacos, I like tacos
Yum yum yum, Yum yum yum
I like tacos, I like tacos
Enchiladas and burritos, Guacamole, Hot sauce

Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's
Dairy Queen, Roy Roger's, Arby's
You can't get a taco shell
Unless you go to Taco Bell

Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce
Special orders don't upset us
You deserve a break today
So come along a get away to

Bell, Taco Bell, Taco taco taco taco taco

I like tacos, jalapeños and tamales
I like a side of sour cream
I like tacos, jalapeños and tamales

Have another beer
What a great ideer

I like tacos
We are hungry

Amen
Old November 3rd, 2022, 11:12 AM
Always room for one more

Uh, hold the pickles hold the lettuce was Burger King.

Old November 3rd, 2022, 11:23 AM

When you are going to cook for the cast of Spartacus Saturday and you don't want to cook dinner

Get your atlanta GQ ( grease quota )

toasted pimiento chili cheese steak ( not on the menu)
Old November 3rd, 2022, 12:13 PM

Uh, hold the pickles hold the lettuce was Burger King.
Right, it's something some college group did.
Old November 3rd, 2022, 02:01 PM

I worked third shift, and I hated it. Made me very short tempered. Worse was the swing shift at the paper mill, first shift for seven days, two days off, second shift, same routine, four day weekend, third shift the same(from what I remember), one day off, and back to first shift. i would look at the newspaper everyday to figure out what day it was. And talk about short tempered, just could not establish any sleep cycle. Harry Chapin, haven't heard that name in years. I took a date to see him at the Welsh Civic Auditorium in Grand Rapids, Mi. around 1980. That auditorium is long gone.
Old November 3rd, 2022, 02:24 PM

Hi guys,

Want to provide an update on how my wife's visit with one of her 2 surgeons went. The surgeon she saw today was the one that actually had to remove some tissue via incision, the other one was able to just use a laser. The guy she saw today removed 2 small (<5mm) spots. One was totally benign, and the other is considered pre-cancerous, which we already knew from a previous biopsy, and why she was having the surgery. The surgeon got clear margins 360° around the pre-cancerous spot, and he has blessed her with a clean bill of health, with no need for any follow-up treatment like radiation or chemo. She will not need to go back and see him for a year. We do not expect to hear any disturbing news from the other surgeon because the spots he removed with the laser were very, very tiny and thin.

We are both extremely happy and relieved, and I think I’ve seen her smile more in the last 4-hours than I have in the last 6-months. Thank you so much for everyone's thoughts and prayers as we've been going through this, they are all very much appreciated!!!
Old November 3rd, 2022, 02:50 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Excellent news. Congratulations.
Old November 3rd, 2022, 03:13 PM

Chris - Excellent news. Congratulations.
Thanks alot Norm, much appreciated!
Old November 3rd, 2022, 03:17 PM

Chris great news
Old November 3rd, 2022, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris great news
Thanks Jim, much appreciated!
Old November 4th, 2022, 12:51 AM
GCH

Excellent news Chris , best wishes from Sweden
Old November 4th, 2022, 02:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Chris that is indeed good news. A huge load off you guys' shoulders I'm sure.

So last night I leave Mom's and get home and just as I'm stepping up on my porch I hear three gun shots, which sound like they are coming from right across the street. I thought, maybe someone is shooting at coyotes. But nobody lives in that house, maybe the coyotes are shooting at us.

One of the clowns talked the lead into starting at 4 today. I don't know why. So I set out on the expressway for the airport and a little over half way all traffic stops. There's a wreck up a ways and all lanes are closed. I think that's because they need all that space to park the excess police cars. Anyway we creep up past the accident and it's a late model Chevy Equinox stacked into the back of a semi. The Equinox was smashed up to the back door. I'm pretty sure death occurred in that one.

So we leave at noon today, we're not going to work tomorrow, and it's supposed to be nice all weekend. That's a recipe for getting a lot done. We'll see.

Well have a good morning everyone.

Old November 4th, 2022, 05:56 AM

Glenn and Mike - Thanks a bunch guys for your congratulations on my wife's prognosis, your kind words are much appreciated! The good news certainly did take a load off our minds.
Old November 4th, 2022, 06:34 AM

Well that is good news Chris. Sounds like my kidney tumor removal. It was cancerous but they aren't worried about it as there was clear margin all around as was with Dawns. I also have to be checked in a year. 1/23 for me. Now that type stuff is really a miracle! Back in the day a person would get a cancerous tumor and never even know about it until it had grown so big it was affecting something and by then too far out of control to be stopped. Now we can have a small tumor or growth and everything can be fine!
Old November 4th, 2022, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Well that is good news Chris. Sounds like my kidney tumor removal. It was cancerous but they aren't worried about it as there was clear margin all around as was with Dawns. I also have to be checked in a year. 1/23 for me. Now that type stuff is really a miracle! Back in the day a person would get a cancerous tumor and never even know about it until it had grown so big it was affecting something and by then too far out of control to be stopped. Now we can have a small tumor or growth and everything can be fine!
Thanks Greg! Yep, modern medicine sure has alot more tools in their tool box, and luckily for us more every day! It is truly amazing what they are able to cure these days. I sure hope your 1-year check-up goes well!
Old November 4th, 2022, 01:38 PM

Good afternoon guys,

Truly "Indian Summer" here today, 80° F and sunny!

With all our medical stuff going on, I think I had failed to mention we went to my youngest daughter's house for pizza on Halloween before the boys went trick-or-treating. Gabe is the Black Panther and Keegan is Spider Man.

Old November 4th, 2022, 01:43 PM

Getting ready

For rain
ik
Old November 4th, 2022, 02:03 PM

Do you have this

well hidden???