1970 W-30 4 spd coming back to life

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2022, 03:07 PM

I believe the nos chrome beads came with the clips not sure how the repo chrome beads fit
Old May 1st, 2022, 05:20 PM

Dash pad dye job

Got the dash pad out of hibernation and got a coat of dye/paint on it. The pad is in good condition with no cracks and the the match from kolor korrect is right on. The dash did suffer slightly from the same as what a lot of these dashes suffer from and that is heat warpage over the gauge cluster. I've seen much worse but wanted it as straight as possible. I spent a few hours with the heat gun and gently did my best to straighten. I heated it up pretty good to duplicate the sun's heat or what have you. I then propped it in a position with some weights and let it sit for a while. I think it straightened out pretty good. I think this is as good as I'm gonna get.

This is before dye. You can see traces of glue that held on the 70 dash bead

Glue residue

Dyed

Looks pretty straight

Last edited by scrappie; May 3rd, 2022 at 03:04 AM.
Old May 7th, 2022, 06:46 PM

Still waiting on motor. In the mean time, I'm trying to get all the other smaller stuff done. This stuff takes up a ton of time and is overwhelming not only because of the volume but where to begin. Once I get the motor and trans on frame and body back on I will have some much needed space and think I will be more organized but for right now its like a scrap yard in my garage. I have all the original parts for the car but also many other salvaged OEM parts that I try to go through as Im putting it together to choose the best of the bunch. Its a PIA but worth it. I have a lot of extra dash pcs for example and I have to clean them up just to evaluate.
I started off yesterday applying a new appliqué to the heat/fan control salvaged from an AZ car. I think it looks pretty nice (thx Fred) I started cleaning the original sun visors And they cleaned up pretty good except the chrome trim pieces that finish and bind the stitching were rusty. I was able to find another set of visors with much nicer chrome pcs and made the switch. I think those are done now too. I have new bushings and rubbers.
I then started sorting through my dash stuff and found the nicest pieces of whatever I have. The cigarette lighter and all its pcs, headlight switch bezel and pcs. I bought a new headlight switch and installed also. I have a **** load of courtesy lights in various condition but went through those also and found the best.
A lot more detailed stuff on dash but switched to heater box to get that ready. I have the original heater box which I had blasted. I put a coat of semi gloss black on it and installed original re-cored heater core along with OEM parts. I will continue with dash stuff and under dash and start working my way out.

Old May 7th, 2022, 10:18 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Great work as always. Stay positive—what you’re doing isn’t for the faint of heart, and you are doing an outstanding restoration! It is going to feel overwhelming at times so continue stacking up the “quick wins”.

I recommend trying to group the OEM parts in a bin by area of the car. Continue to cull through the baggies every month or two because you’ll be surprised as to what you find. If you haven’t done so already, get some clear shoe box totes and start piling the finished bags of parts.

Can you use a bit of steel wool on the visors? I think they can be cleaned up, but that little chrome area is a pain to get at in order to clean / polish.
Old May 8th, 2022, 05:05 AM

Thanks for the encouragement Jimmy. Small victories right....I just need to stay the course. When the time comes to install small items it does save a ton of time being able to just take something out of a bag and install. I do use clear bags that I save from shipping packages and I group things in big plastic totes. Some of these totes are pretty full because I have multiples of some items but nice to be able to choose.
The visor chrome clips I salvaged from another pair cleaned up pretty good with some steel wool so that is where they will stay for now. Bagged and tagged.
Here are some more pics of other stuff:

Last edited by scrappie; May 9th, 2022 at 06:17 PM.
Old May 8th, 2022, 07:01 PM

Wasted time

So I've been working on the dash and all the trim pieces. 442Fred hooked me up with a real clean AZ heater face plate and I added a new appliqué. It really looks good. I have a lot of dash trim from cars parted out in the past so I got busy restoring and cleaning. I remembered I also had a nice wiper switch face plate that Fred hooked me up with also so I went into the box I have from him and I totally forgot he also supplied me with pretty much of the rest of dash chrome pieces which I completely forgot about: headlight bezel/****, radio *****/selectors, heater *****, NOS lighter and trim. All this stuff is mint and will be switching the pcs asap. Im just bummed I wasted all that time with other stuff. Just too much to think about I guess.
Thanks again Fred.

Old May 8th, 2022, 07:03 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

What are the part numbers on the door handles?
Old May 8th, 2022, 07:08 PM

IDK off hand Jimmy but I'll let you know.
Old May 9th, 2022, 07:19 AM

WOW, what you have done is just amazing, the detail and perfection are really admirable. Seriously you are accomplishing what few can do. I can't wait to see the engine in and body on. Great work!
Steve
Old May 9th, 2022, 01:27 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
..... I can't wait to see the engine in and body on..
Yea, you, me, Scrappie, and the other forum members!
Sorry Scrappie that was long hanging fruit...
Old May 9th, 2022, 03:20 PM

Yeah it was
Old May 9th, 2022, 06:38 PM

Great detail. I wish I had taken as many photos during my project. It will be an awesome feeling when the body is back on. You should be very proud of your efforts.
Old May 10th, 2022, 03:07 AM

Thanks Greg. Its sometimes hard to remember to take pics of everything but I try not only for my own records but I too like seeing other people's pics of their builds and its a great reference for anyone doing similar stuff.

Last edited by scrappie; May 10th, 2022 at 05:03 AM.
Old May 10th, 2022, 06:44 AM

Nice stash of parts! Interesting one of those heater box brackets said “made in Canada”
Old May 10th, 2022, 07:29 AM

Thumbs up

The best part of the restoration is assembling the new restored parts and all of the jewelry.

Very satisfying as you add more and more parts.
Old May 10th, 2022, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ap6954
Nice stash of parts! Interesting one of those heater box brackets said “made in Canada”
At least it doesn’t say “made in china”
Old May 10th, 2022, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by scrappie
At least it doesn’t say “made in china”
to funny
Old May 16th, 2022, 04:00 PM

Small victories

Been chipping away. Still waiting for motor. Installed new dash insulation and firewall pad. Man those fasteners for the fire wall pad are a PIA. I ran a new rear speaker wire just like I found it also.
Cleaned up my original intermediate wiring harness sleeve/protector and installed new wiring harness into that and then installed in car. I installed heater core box and fan box on engine side of fire wall. Small stuff but I dont have a ton of time these days and this small stuff takes time. I'm glad I took a lot of pics of car during disassembly and could probably have taken more. Here are some before and afters.

Last edited by scrappie; May 25th, 2022 at 05:28 AM.
Old May 16th, 2022, 04:57 PM

Looks good. I agree those firewall insulation fasteners are a giant PIA.
Old May 16th, 2022, 06:04 PM

Do you plan on using any insulation on the floors like dyna mat? Just wondering because I see you spent a lot of time on the floors and the look great. Even the detail of the undercoating. I remember when I put the dyna mat on my floors I was laughing at myself because I spent all that time making the floors perfect only to cover it with the insulation never to be seen again lol. I will say now that I am driving the car and the difference it makes was definitely worth it.
Old May 17th, 2022, 02:52 AM

I've thought about it and still thinking about it. From what I've learned over the years, the W30 cars had minimal insulation I'm assuming for weight? I'm trying to stay as true to the resto and debating myself wether this is one of those things that is worth it because the weight thing is negligible IMO.

Last edited by scrappie; May 17th, 2022 at 05:12 PM.
Old May 24th, 2022, 05:07 PM

Motor is getting close

Mark has the motor real close to dyno, hopefully this week? Its been a long wait and cant help getting a little excited at this point.

Old May 24th, 2022, 05:12 PM

Looks great! Very exciting I am sure it’s going to sound awesome as well!
Old May 25th, 2022, 02:52 AM

Thx Greg, looking forward to it.

The more I look at the pic I cant help but stare at the exhaust manifolds and exhaust. Mark asked me what mufflers and size exhaust I was using and I told him stock size. I know the W,Z manifolds and exhaust are a clear restriction and rob a lot of power but the picture really makes me see the reality. I can see why headers and a bigger exhaust are worth +/-25hp. Oh well I guess its the burden one bares doing a stock restoration.

Last edited by scrappie; May 25th, 2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old May 25th, 2022, 08:26 AM

Looks great, can't wait to see a video of it running. Which paint did you use for the motor?
Steve
Old May 25th, 2022, 08:52 AM

Thx Steve, I got the engine paint from Inline Tube.
Old May 25th, 2022, 10:56 AM

Thx Greg, looking forward to it.

The more I look at the pic I cant help but stare at the exhaust manifolds and exhaust. Mark asked me what mufflers and size exhaust I was using and I told him stock size. I know the W,Z manifolds and exhaust are a clear restriction and rob a lot of power but the picture really makes me see the reality. I can see why headers and a bigger exhaust are worth +/-25hp. Oh well I guess its the burden one bares doing a stock restoration.
Would it be possible to do your own comparison? Make a couple pulls stock then put on headers to get actual numbers?
Old May 25th, 2022, 11:00 AM

I partially mitigated the need for headers by using a full 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust.

That is bigger and less restrictive than the factory size.
Old May 25th, 2022, 11:35 AM

I'm pretty sure Mark or someone did a test comparison a while back on here and it was determined that headers are worth about 20-25 HP. I forget exactly.
Old May 25th, 2022, 10:03 PM

Very Nice restoration!
Old May 26th, 2022, 05:23 AM

Thx Bernhard, a lot of top quality restorations here on CO by Oldsmobile enthusiasts. I'm just trying to do justice to the machine and not embarrass myself. This whole project has taken a long time. It will be 5 yrs in Nov.

Last edited by scrappie; May 26th, 2022 at 05:43 PM.
Old May 26th, 2022, 05:56 PM

Thx Bernhard, a lot of top quality restorations here on CO by Oldsmobile enthusiasts. I'm just trying to do justice to the machine and not embarrass myself. This whole project has taken a long time. It will be 5 yrs in Nov.
You have done a great job so far! The last thing you should be is embarrassed. Definitely one of the nicer cars on the forum.
Old May 27th, 2022, 02:51 AM

Thanks for that
Old May 27th, 2022, 09:19 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

So what you have been involved with your W30 for near 5-years. The project has been successful in any number of ways: The project has kept you at home and out of trouble; the learning experience is something you can't buy; you know everything about your car; it has given you an outlet for your frustrations. And the best thing of all is when it is finished your wife and kids take ownership of it. Others will look at Scrappie with envy!
Old May 27th, 2022, 12:21 PM

Thumbs up

Scrappie is a great human being all around. I have known him for more than 20 years,
and what he has accomplished does not surprise me.
Very talented and focused, with very high quality standards.
Very happy for him!
Old May 27th, 2022, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by tnswt
So what you have been involved with your W30 for near 5-years. The project has been successful in any number of ways: The project has kept you at home and out of trouble; the learning experience is something you can't buy; you know everything about your car; it has given you an outlet for your frustrations. And the best thing of all is when it is finished your wife and kids take ownership of it. Others will look at Scrappie with envy!
Stephen, Thanks for the encouragement and I agree with everything you said except maybe for the wife and kids part, although the wife will definitely take ownership.......

Originally Posted by My442
Scrappie is a great human being all around. I have known him for more than 20 years,
and what he has accomplished does not surprise me.
Very talented and focused, with very high quality standards.
Very happy for him!
Hey P thanks for saying all that I'm glad I sold you that hood 20+ yrs ago, I consider you a good friend and veteran Olds enthusiast from way back now, always there for advice, knowledge and opinion. Compliments like that from you mean a lot.
Old May 28th, 2022, 06:43 PM

I'm pretty sure Mark or someone did a test comparison a while back on here and it was determined that headers are worth about 20-25 HP. I forget exactly.
Mark says it's closer to around 30-40 HP and 30-40 FT.LBS of torque. Quite substantial loss due to the factory manifolds.

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
If you’re going to run manifolds be prepared to lose 30-40hp/tq. Those will be your choke point.

Last edited by pettrix; May 28th, 2022 at 07:45 PM.
Old May 28th, 2022, 07:11 PM

Unfortunate for sure
Old May 29th, 2022, 07:16 AM

Paul when Mark built my W engine he tested it with headers and it made I think 11 HP and 25 ft lbs more. Not as much as many thought. It was a BB so probably lots of reasons why your build may be a bigger difference and he didn’t really tune on it with the headers. After discussion the stock W intake was a big factor. Air flow has to get in and out.
Old May 29th, 2022, 01:01 PM

That is quite the quandary. Keep it all stock for the sake of restoration or put a nice aluminum intake and headers on and gain hp? I guess it comes down to what your gonna be doing with the car? Showing it or driving it or both?

Last edited by scrappie; May 29th, 2022 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 1970 W-30 4 spd coming back to life