General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

A reminder: User conduct we all agreed to

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2014, 03:14 PM

And the bashing continues!! Can't we all just get along?
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Im sorry but when the site depends on people for traffic saying things like this is not a democracy and you have no choice no say . That might not sit well with people that attitude will push people away more then telling them to go pound it. Essentially what you are saying is the moderators can say eric is in the clear and that these people opinions are pointless because they have no say so just quit posting you efforts are not going to achive anything. Well sorry every post that mentions the mods call the shots makes us out to be insignificant members im sorry but if there is no members you have no forum you have to respect the people who make this site what it is first and foremost. Im sorry im not flaming im expressing how things should be. WE as members should have some form of control over us and what we do., not necessarily what will make the company who owns it happy but the company needs the members to make a profit or what ever it is they gain to win. saying that the moderators are all highly intelligent olds nuts essentially means that even though you called people out to be moderators they are too stupid to be one.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 13th, 2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:18 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Nothing wrong with ROP,if it's not to your liking,you're doing the right thing by staying away. I'm a member there and a member here,it's just two different boards,that's all. Before the ROP crash,there was a lot of valuable information there but it wasn't saved. ROP is more of a mellow Yellow Bullet and if you think this little rift is bad,go look @ Yellow Bullet and get back with me.
Mike I was/am a member of Real Olds Power before and after the crash, a member of your website, yellow bullet, HAMB and several other sites. I have thick skin and can take it as good as I can dish it out. What I am trying to say is everyone that has taken offense to John and Eric's decision, seems like they want to change this forum to suit themselves or bash the mods for their combined decision.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:21 PM

Hi Guys !
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Mike I was/am a member of Real Olds Power before and after the crash, a member of your website, yellow bullet, HAMB and several other sites. I have thick skin and can take it as good as I can dish it out. What I am trying to say is everyone that has taken offense to John and Eric's decision, seems like they want to change this forum to suit themselves or bash the mods for their combined decision.
Honestly it seems like the moderators have changed the forum to suit themselves and the members end up getting the short end of the stick. In the last couple years this site has changed so much since the addition of the non-olds powered section. A lot of new moderators that aren't even true Olds enthusiasts. Keep in mind this is an Oldsmobile site and the members make it what it is. Thats what it was meant for.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:27 PM

Thanks for joining my site but I shut it down. No traffic after ROP came back online and that's fine with me. For what it's worth,I think the mod was looking for a fight after reading his response to the member. That's just me and I don't dislike anybody here but that's the way I see it. I think John has let his defense of the situation get out of hand and should have just let it be decided by the higher power. One thing I have learned about message boards,nobody can change anybody's mind.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by TD2593
Hi Guys !
Hey Russel

Originally Posted by Olds92
Honestly it seems like the moderators have changed the forum to suit themselves and the members end up getting the short end of the stick. In the last couple years this site has changed so much since the addition of the non-olds powered section. A lot of new moderators that aren't even true Olds enthusiasts. Keep in mind this is an Oldsmobile site and the members make it what it is. Thats what it was meant for.
How do you think websites survive and make $$$$? They do it by hits on the site,the more hits the more they make. The more traffic the more $$$$,the more forums,the more $$$$. That's why I don't understand why they come down on you for posting in two or more forums on the same thing. I was warned for a post in the general section pointing to my for sale ad. I will play by the rules but too many rules sometimes ruin a good thing. The $$$$ deal only holds true with ad sites and not sites that are privately owned and operated. I assume this site still has ads because I don't see them.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; April 13th, 2014 at 03:36 PM.

Now you guys are flaming them for doing their job as underpaid peacekeepers? This is not a club, you have no say in who elects who to be a mod. Paul (Omicron) the Administrator has that power.
This is not about electing mods or trying to drastically change the forum rules, it is about a suspension that some feel was not warranted for the situation and a accused misuse of power.

There are some people upset and are flaming, but I think a majority of us just want some assurance that the mod in question is at least being looked into for potential misuse of power. If posts were deleted to try to cover up a threat than that needs looked into and if you can come back with proof that posts were simply removed for flaming and not covering up things then I can accept it.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:33 PM

Hi Guys !
You lost Russ?
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Thanks for joining my site but I shut it down. No traffic after ROP came back online and that's fine with me. For what it's worth,I think the mod was looking for a fight after reading his response to the member. That's just me and I don't dislike anybody here but that's the way I see it. I think John has let his defense of the situation get out of hand and should have just let it be decided by the higher power. One thing I have learned about message boards,nobody can change anybody's mind.
Well, if you read through my posts I didn't see it as a personal threat. When considered together with the initial post by Josh that has been deleted I saw it as a continuation of the Chevy in an Olds fight. I interpreted Eric's comment as saying that battle has already been fought, don't go there. But obviously many other people saw it as a personal threat. At this point I'm not able to convince anyone of anything other than what they've decided. So yeah, if we could turn back the clock and have Josh and Eric talk this through we might have avoided a lot of hard feelings. But we can't.

John
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:37 PM

So to threaten a member in a private pm then carry it out is acceptable to you. Who are you the moderators buddy or do you just not understand? I also am a member of several sites. I have tried to stay out of these type threads for the most part. This is different when someone does what the moderator did.Put the blame on bad decision compounded by non action for unacceptable moderation with no recourse. If one is punished for believing in a true classic Oldsmobile having a olds motor vs a chevy then that is a dispute difference between to guys. This moderator abused his power plain and simple.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by drop top olds
In my view if a moderator is involved in a dispute with a board member the moderator should not be able to use their power to ban, delete threads etc. Because said moderator has a personal stake in what is going on, and will/may attempt to manipulate events to make them look good (at least the temptation is there). I am not saying that is what happened because I don't know the entire story. I do believe the moderator sending a "go ahead make my day" message by pm was totally unacceptable.
Originally Posted by wr1970
All i know is the moderator didn't handle this very well.For this moderator to do what he done should be unacceptable. This is no way to promote a site. He made a threat and carried it out and deleted the post to cover his tracts. Supermoderator is to slow to react to this. All other moderator must feel the posters are below them and what they do is beyond reproach. Why else would this have happened. This moderator was plain and simple in the wrong. Ban me too because i am calling all the moderators out for sitting on there thumbs on this.
X2 I agree to sit there as a moderator and say that members have no say is wrong. This moderator who sent a threat to F85 and enforced it. The moderator in the wrong period. Who is going to look at what he done?? Nobody! i guess when your at the bottom of the pecking order Only the moderators can delete post and ban whom the want even if they are wrong. Looks like there will be no resolve to this unless this moderator is held accountable for his actions.
+1 to pretty much all of this
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Well, if you read through my posts I didn't see it as a personal threat. When considered together with the initial post by Josh that has been deleted I saw it as a continuation of the Chevy in an Olds fight. I interpreted Eric's comment as saying that battle has already been fought, don't go there. But obviously many other people saw it as a personal threat. At this point I'm not able to convince anyone of anything other than what they've decided. So yeah, if we could turn back the clock and have Josh and Eric talk this through we might have avoided a lot of hard feelings. But we can't.

John
I understand what you're saying but I think that the mod had enough about his car and threw down the gauntlet with his response. Sometimes I go off the reservation myself but as a mod,you gotta keep your cool or just don't do it anymore.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; April 13th, 2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:45 PM

I think the mod should be encouraged to step down for a few months. Once things cool off, he'll remember not to do this stuff again, then he can be promoted back up.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by 76olds
I think they should put wal-mart brakes on grocery carts !!! Jus sayin .
Now that's funny.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:51 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Who are you the moderators buddy or do you just not understand?
I am a "Car Mudgeon" (read status) and nobody's buddy but everyone's friend until I see different. I try to tell it like it is but not attack anyone personally. I understand completely this situation and I respect this board's rules as well as other board's rules. If I venture to a board that has little or no rules then anything goes. This however is not that board. Mods here deserve respect, I nor them are your parent and you can do as you please until you are warned and ultimately banned if the need arises. That is not my decision to make and I for one have no say, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:16 PM

Hi Guys !
Cheers
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by kjr442
Now that's funny.
Talking about shopping carts, now you get a fine if you don't return the cart. And a hefty one too, 200 bucks
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Hookers under Hood

Lol Its wasn't funny after I rear ended my wife while looking at the boxes and hanging fruit, She dam near ruined me in the meat department and I had to be carried out.
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:36 PM

Sounds like quite a few from ROP has gotten their knickers in a bunch because the underpaid (read $0) mods tried to reason with F85 to no avail. Now just because there is no moderation at ROP, you think you can come here and flame away at mods or anyone that doesn't share your views? Hilarious

Believe me ralleye bob this place will survive. You have all of two posts since 2010? Sounds like you read the thread over at ROP and came here just to bash this forum. That's classy, real classy.
It's rallye bob....... What is this "FLAME" you speak of... I see you believe that if a "mod" does not get paid, he/she is free to do as they see fit.. That my friend is hilarious......

Last edited by rallye bob; April 13th, 2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:49 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Is the ROP down again? It seems we have walked this path before. Deja Vu?

What is this "FLAME" you speak of...
IF you don't know what flaming someone means, here is The Flame
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I think the only flaming that goes on to the tune of that song will lead to not being able to walk straight for a few days .
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:02 PM

Stick your Chevy powered Olds body where the sun don't shine!!!

Clean enough, pansy?

Last edited by fleming442; April 13th, 2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: 1st amendment
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
i think the only flaming that goes on to the tune of that song will lead to not being able to walk straight for a few days .
lmfao.
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:12 PM

I think the only flaming that goes on to the tune of that song will lead to not being able to walk straight for a few days .
lol, wow best post of the day
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:29 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Bwahahahaha
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Hookers under Hood

Lmao ... see what happens when you shake your tree, all the nuts fall out
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Lol Its wasn't funny after I rear ended my wife while looking at the boxes and hanging fruit, She dam near ruined me in the meat department and I had to be carried out.

bahahahahahaha lmfao
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:52 PM
"Car"mudgeon

All kidding aside, anyone else notice the video of Cheap trick is exactly 4 minutes and 42 seconds?

This is probably more appropriate for this crowd...

Old April 13th, 2014, 05:53 PM

Okay boys I am about to shine some light on this subject.

IMAG0323.jpg

Enjoy the night
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:58 PM
"me somebody" site member

The point of this site is to maximize page views and sell ad revenue. So 5 pages / nearly 200 posts worth of pure drivel in this thread can be considered a huge success in that regard, just not to anyone hoping to find much relevance to Oldsmobiles. ClassicOlds pays off like a slot machine in THAT regard, that is, not very often. I have no doubt all of you "rats at the pushbar" will keep coming back for more...you've been conditioned to. Me, I think I am done. Gonna try a maze instead. ANYTHING but this shyte.

Was a nice site once.
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:01 PM
70 Cutlass SX

I find it amazing how personal things can get on this forum. All I want to do is talk about cars.
There are many members who either assume personal attacks when none are intended, or who attack personally on issues that have nothing to do with who they are.
Just because I put a lawn mower engine in my Cutlass does not make me a bad person, and it is not the place of anyone else to judge me for it.
If I ask a stupid question, it is not OK to say "you must be stupid for asking that".

I normally keep my mouth shut when I see adults playing like two year olds, but this thread really ticks me off.

So here are some rules to live by:
Never assume you know what the other guy is going through.
Never say anything about anyone else's personality. (I am breaking my own rule in this post, and that is upsetting!)
Always keep your comments factual, and directed to the topic of discussion.

And remember, when someone says something about you - it is all about them and only about you if you own it.

I hope that OldsCutlass and F85 can have a phone conversation, or better get together over a beer and work this out.

There is enough hate in the world already, do not bring it home too. We are lucking to live in a fairly just society, with the opportunity to play with old cars. You know how many people would die for that? Who have died for that?
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

WELL hello there, fellas.

You were busy little bees today while I was outside planting my garden.

I am a moderator on here as well, and If the crowd would like my reflections and opinions, I will give them honorably and truthfully, and to some, maybe even painfully.

JOHN, (2blu442) Thank you for tending this to this thread, and keeping your composure and sanity.

Cheer up guys, life Isn't as bad as we make it out to be sometimes.
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:10 PM

e. The door swings both ways guys, if you do not like the rules then you are clearly free to venture to forums where bashing is encouraged.[/QUOTE]

Very well said. I just read a couple posts @ ROP and it really made me appreciate the moderators on this site who are willing to donate some time that make it a good place to hang out. Let's get back to talking about our cars. This drama is going nowhere.
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:17 PM

Wow! Well here's what I think... The printed word has no personality. I mean when you are joking or ribbing another person-even a stranger- you may wink or grin to let the other guy know you are only joking. When these same things come across printed they may sound just plain rude, which then the other guy gets offended and retaliates and everyone is mad and maybe says too much. Just what I think....
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:19 PM

I think it is about time for a collective chill pill. People are people. We ALL have opinions and too many have need of thicker skin. F-85 is on a temp suspension assuming I have read correctly as I was not involved, and tend to stay quiet as much as possible. Sounds to me like there has been a major misunderstanding and everyone needs some cool off time. Lets put our man undies on and walk away from this until we have all cooled off and can discuss this like adults with 20 20 vision. I personally have had no interaction with f-85, but have had direct contact with john and know him to be honest, levelheaded and slow to pull the trigger on someone in terms of "discipline" I am thinking either someone was having a bad night, or more was going on than is being revealed. Let dead dogs lie. Tomorrow is another day.
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:42 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Why thank you Sampson I wholeheartedly agree, this drama is going nowhere.

Pcard I too hope there is some type of communication betwinkst Eric and Josh after it's all said and done, there is enough drama in this world that we can surely do without it within our hobby. I'll pitch in for a round, if that's what it takes.

My thing is, for those that do not respect our mods here should keep it to themselves. Our mods are not going away and will continue to moderate any childlike sandbox drama you can dish out. For free, yes for free, THEY WORK FOR FREE! This site makes $ on hits but it makes most of it's $$ on advertisements. Any one mod nor member will not make nor break this website. As of now there are close to 30k members here, this time next month there will possibly be over 30k members, albeit not all active but mark my word this board is not going anywhere regardless of how many says that they are done here. Whatever, it's your prerogative. Like water on a ducks backside, it is all good.
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by pcard
I find it amazing how personal things can get on this forum. All I want to do is talk about cars.
There are many members who either assume personal attacks when none are intended, or who attack personally on issues that have nothing to do with who they are.
Just because I put a lawn mower engine in my Cutlass does not make me a bad person, and it is not the place of anyone else to judge me for it.
If I ask a stupid question, it is not OK to say "you must be stupid for asking that".

I normally keep my mouth shut when I see adults playing like two year olds, but this thread really ticks me off.

So here are some rules to live by:
Never assume you know what the other guy is going through.
Never say anything about anyone else's personality. (I am breaking my own rule in this post, and that is upsetting!)
Always keep your comments factual, and directed to the topic of discussion.

And remember, when someone says something about you - it is all about them and only about you if you own it.

I hope that OldsCutlass and F85 can have a phone conversation, or better get together over a beer and work this out.

There is enough hate in the world already, do not bring it home too. We are lucking to live in a fairly just society, with the opportunity to play with old cars. You know how many people would die for that? Who have died for that?
Peter,

Thank you for the perspective. I now don't feel so alone in my thoughts on this drama.
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:50 PM

wow - less than 24hours old and over 3200 views and a couple of hundred posts - guess this really is a hot button item

too much drama

Quick Reply: A reminder: User conduct we all agreed to