General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

A reminder: User conduct we all agreed to

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
WELL hello there, fellas.

You were busy little bees today while I was outside planting my garden.

I am a moderator on here as well, and If the crowd would like my reflections and opinions, I will give them honorably and truthfully, and to some, maybe even painfully.

JOHN, (2blu442) Thank you for tending this to this thread, and keeping your composure and sanity.

Cheer up guys, life Isn't as bad as we make it out to be sometimes.
Yeah. We want to hear your opinion.
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:59 PM

Two more moderators to confirm that nothing was going on and everything is on the up and up!!!Wow unreal!! Do you not understand that F85 was sent a pm threating him in a dare that he would loose. Then deleted the post on this site to protect himself and your saying the moderator did nothing wrong.Pull your blinders off a walk in non moderator shoes please as you seem turn a blind i eye as you guys have the power to do as you please! With no regard as to what was done to F85. This moderator abused his power you guys will never admit it and nothing will be done about it just sweep in under the carpet.Sad way to show that members they have no say in this site. Old jedi trick move along.

Last edited by wr1970; April 13th, 2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:01 PM

Here is the PM sent to F85, i copied it from ROP (real OLDS power)

classicolds.jpg
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I still feel the same way but like I said I will be surprised if an apology and the whole process is laid before up openly. But the shame and the pride and hurt egos will not allow that.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:03 PM

That's a warning with a threat so that's is crossing the line. a warning was all that was needed.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:03 PM

Now if anyone says that's not a threat. Then you are either a friend of Oldcutlass and don't want to admit it as a threat or honestly just plain dumb.

Now in my opinion a moderator should NOT act that way period. And he should be held accountable for his actions! Instead his moderator buddies swept it under the rug and he was allowed to ban F-85 for just trying to show other members what kind of person he was.

Last edited by Olds92; April 13th, 2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:08 PM

Olds92, you need to post what Josh said before this. What is the argument that Josh was making? What was it that Eric said he'd lose on if he continued making that argument?
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:17 PM

Idk but that's now how someone who is suppoused to be the example should ever act.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by wr1970
Two more moderators to confirm that nothing was going on and everything is on the up and up!!!Wow unreal!! Do you not understand that F85 was sent a pm threating him in a dare that he would loose. Then deleted the post on this site to protect himself and your saying the moderator did nothing wrong.Pull your blinders off a walk in non moderator shoes please as you seem turn a blind i eye as you guys have the power to do as you please! With no regard as to what was done to F85. This moderator abused his power you guys will never admit it and nothing will be done about it just sweep in under the carpet.Sad way to show that members they have no say in this site. Old jedi trick move along.
Now now, Don't be so hasty, friend. This Isn't an "us vs. the people" type of situation. Although that would make it a much more juicy topic for everyone to sink their teeth into. This is still day 1 of thinking and reflecting upon everyone's thoughts and actions. It is not wise for anyone, moderator or not, to be too quick to judge. That's part of what got us in this pickle to begin with.

Let me review the facts then I may give my relevant or non relevant (depending on how you think) opinions.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Olds92, you need to post what Josh said before this. What is the argument that Josh was making? What was it that Eric said he'd lose on if he continued making that argument?
I wish I could but the post was deleted. But I can post the thread that he started that got him banned.

"Well i just got a PM from one of our moderators. (oldcutlass) We had a disagreement in a thread and now he sent me a threatening PM. This is his PM to me.

"This is a warning to you, do not start this argument, you will lose"

Im not sure how to feel about it. But i wanted to make everyone aware of what is going on. Im not going to play games and PM him back and forth. I thought it would be best to show what kind of guy he really is. Basically what he is saying is. If i speak my opinion and he disagrees then he is going to kick me off the site.

I feel like i should be able to have an opinion. Just because he doesnt agree with me doesnt mean he can control my posts or kick me off this site. I would like to see how other member feel about this. Anyone that knows me knows im a stand up guy. I am an open book with nothing to hide. Ill leave it all out in the open."

Does that give Oldcutlass the right to threaten him via PM?
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Idk but that's now how someone who is suppoused to be the example should ever act.
No copper, if Josh was flaming Eric over his car then he would not win that argument. Sure, Eric could and now its obvious he "should" have worded it differently. But you don't know what Eric meant when he said that. You don't know what he was responding to. That makes a difference.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Olds92
I wish I could but the post was deleted. But I can post the thread that he started that got him banned.

"Well i just got a PM from one of our moderators. (oldcutlass) We had a disagreement in a thread and now he sent me a threatening PM. This is his PM to me.

Im not sure how to feel about it. But i wanted to make everyone aware of what is going on. Im not going to play games and PM him back and forth. I thought it would be best to show what kind of guy he really is. Basically what he is saying is. If i speak my opinion and he disagrees then he is going to kick me off the site.

I feel like i should be able to have an opinion. Just because he doesnt agree with me doesnt mean he can control my posts or kick me off this site. I would like to see how other member feel about this. Anyone that knows me knows im a stand up guy. I am an open book with nothing to hide. Ill leave it all out in the open."

Does that give Oldcutlass the right to threaten him via PM?

If your going to post what Eric said, then you need to post what Josh said. Talk to Josh and ask him what he said. Ask him what Eric was responding to. You want transparency then you have to show both sides.

I would like this to all go away. For everyone but Josh and Eric to stand back and let them work through this. But if your going to continue keeping this going then you need to provide all the information so members here can make an INFORMED decision of what happened.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

We are all capable of malice, and stubbornness. I realize most people on here are kings of their own castle. Also posting from within places where they may allowed to be unyielding on most matters.
This is not your house, or my house, and we must be humble and yield when necessary to avoid conflict and enjoy ourselves on here.

That seems to be harder for some more than others, and I am definitely guilty of being imperfect.

Just something to keep in mind.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:29 PM

You will loose is pretty straight forward. Flaming someone technically isn't quiet an argument just yet so no argument was ever started therefore the threat was said in an attempt to put fear into josh to not mess with oldcutlass since essentially he was saying hey don't mess with me I have rank . If it was me messing with josh the flaming would have gone on very long before we probably gave up nothing would have got deleted. Now if oldcutlass jumped in then it would have gone from flaming to argument . Not sure if that happened in this case.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 13th, 2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
You will loose is pretty straight forward. Flaming someone technically isn't quiet an argument just yet so no argument was ever started therefore the threat was said in an attempt to put fear into josh to not mess with oldcutlass since essentially he was saying he don't mess with me I have status. If it was me messing with josh the flaming would have gone on very long before we probably gave up.
Copper... I read what Josh said. Eric was responding to an attack on him. Your coming to a conclusion based on one side of the conversation.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:34 PM

where is the otherhalf then if you guys have acess to all that. No conclusions here where is all these threats. So far all I have seen is what has been laid before me so in that case I have to make a conclusion on that now if you guys want everyone to have and honest conclusion then cough up the missing links.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 13th, 2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:36 PM
"Car"mudgeon

http://realoldspower.prophpbb.com/topic4562.html

This explains who is who and what is really on their mind. You guys have an awesome click over there NOT! Koda I am not surprised from Andrew's response however I didn't think you would stoop that low.
Re: I just got banned from classic olds

Posted by Koda » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:03 am
I have had run ins with this mod. He is a new mod, and likes to tell people what to do.

Omicron is the site admin. Maybe enough complaints will get this guy removed.

They tend to not like stuff I say over there. I got warned for commenting that I would not
marry a single mom with a half black kid, as I don't want any other guy, let alone a black guy,
having any sort of interaction with my family. Apparently, that's racist, although I'd call it common sense.

The internet is getting infected with bitches. It used to be a hard place where anything went. Now, old
people are all over it, and trying to make folks behave like they are in church. I mean, if I said, don't ****
me off or I'll whip out the goatse, people don't even know what I MEAN, let alone have respect for the comment.

(Do not google that term at work.)

Of course, I even got banned from here back a couple crashes ago....or my account got inactived coincidentally.
Different user name though.
Let's see Olds92 how exactly did Eric threaten Josh? Ban stick or bodily harm?? The screen shot Josh posted shows but one side of the story and his Private Message to Josh was just a warning not a threat. Are you freaking kidding me? I thought you guys from ROP were thick skinned
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'm looking it up. Not a big deal. I looked the stuff over this morning, and remember being disappointed all across the board. Hang tight. Nobody in this argument in question is a bad person, I guarantee that. You will just have to trust me on that matter.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:39 PM

Uhhhh GA oldcutlass delivered a warning then said you will lose that is a threat / a challenge /egging on. Stuff that we all agreed to not do.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:39 PM

We don't have access to it. I read it last night when all this nonsense got started. But there's been a lot of venom over this thread. I got a PM address to the **** guy. If old92 is going to continue bashing Eric and trying to whip up public opinion against him then he needs to provide all the information. Right now people are reading between the lines and believing what they want.

That's why we should all back off and let the two parties work it out. Hopefully they can have that cold beer over the phone and agree to disagree on some things. But still participate on this site and be civil to each other.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I have read the thread and Eric was "attacked" out of nowhere and for no reason other than Chevy engine. However I still think it was unfair to Josh that he got suspended, there were much worse and more personal attacks between the members with no consequences. I think Eric overreacted. JMO for whatever is worth.

That being said I am about to pound some NyQuil, chase it with a beer and hopefully feel ok to go to work tomorrow. This damn flu is kicking my ***.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:43 PM

So when I get attacked it just gets ignored until we really push the boundaries but when its a mod they get special treatment and it has to be analized and we have to go through this whole ordeal. My whole trip ain't against eric but the onesidedness of the situation. If it where me getting attacked it would be handled way diffrent.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 13th, 2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

OK, here we go.....Oldcutlass is talking to people about his car, and restoration costs, blah, blah, etc. etc. Probably his 4th or 5th post in the thread discussing the matter of fixing up cars.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Even with a daily driver like mine, I purchased this car for $5k in 2009. I drove it everyday for 4 years to work and back except during big projects. I'd drive it a while, then work on it some. After going through, the powertrain, front suspension, body mounts, wheels/tires, brakes, paint, interior, etc... I have probably an additional $12k in it, not counting labor. It does not take long to rack the $$$'s up on a car.
In comes F-85, with his 1st post in the thread..........

Originally Posted by f-85
While doing all that work and spending all that money. Why didnt you put an Olds motor in your car instead of a chevy?
MY OPINION: Meh, legitimate question......carry on, thread.

Response....
To be honest the money spent on my car is no where near what it would cost to do a frame off concourse show car. It's just the cost of catching up on maint., some upgrades, and renewing the paint and interior. The enjoyment factor is priceless.

I would have never considered this swap if my car was a 442 and had the potential to be worth something down the road. The collectability factor of a run of the mill Cutlass is next to nill. Could I have cloned it into something it's not, probably. Then the purists would have had something else to argue about.
The Chevy engine fell into my lap with a transmission, I live in a small town and there is only one machine shop. I spent some considerable time investigating cost of my options. I weighed the cost of purchasing a core 455 at the time and the added expense of a transmission. I also looked into redoing my 330 and an upgraded transmission. So outside of upsetting a few purists that think an Olds needs to power an Olds, the Chevy swap in my case was financially a no brainer.
By the way I recently acquired a 455 and a T400. It's waiting in the wings for the day I get ambitious enough to go back with an Olds. There is nothing I did to this car that is not easily reversed and I still also have all the old parts that were removed.
So does it really matter that it has a Chevy power plant in it? The answer is no, it draws a lot of attention everywhere it goes. The positives of keeping one more Oldsmobile label on the road outway the negatives.
MY OPINION: Legitimate answer. Carry on, thread.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

OK, now to the part where it takes a horrible nosedive......

Next response by F-85

Originally Posted by f-85
Well sounds like you are not much of an Olds guy. You could have kept the 330 in it, or went out and found a used motor. There are plenty of used motors out there for sale if money was a factor. And in my opinion YES it does matter that you put a chevy in it. The car deserves better! But thats just my opinion.
My opinion and thoughts: Sounds like someone is gearing up for an opinion brawl, here.
I like Olds motors better, too, but this is a horrible way of stating your opinion. This is clearly antagonistic.
Meh, Oldcutlass can probably take the beating and let it roll off his shoulders, or just ignore this, he'll be fine.... carry on, thread.

Response
And personally in my opinion (that's the only opinion that counts in this conversation), the one who foots the bill gets to make the choices. If you want to step up, then your opinion will be considered. The ball is in your court my friend.
My thoughts: Ah crap, he just bit the line. He's right, It's his car and he can do what he wants with it, but I see no need for the antagonistic comments of "if you want to step up"
This was a POOR RESPONSE to a LOUSY POST.
Both of these posts are completely useless to both the moderators, and the members.
I will assume this is where F-85 received the PM to back off, or be sorry for his actions.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

EVeryone, shut up for a minute, and let me find it all.

I am going to delete the last few posts for organization's sake, to keep all the info together.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:04 PM

Why is the owner of a chevy powered car even moderating on an olds site? He owns a streetrod, not an olds. I was disgusted to see a ls powered tube frame streetrod prominently displayed at the Iowa OCA, I won't be wasting my money attending that bs again either. Doesn't Goodguys exist anymore for these contraptions? Oldsmobiles are about the engineering they put into their engines, not just a body shell. Anyway, I guess I get booted for stating my opinion now too.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:05 PM

I think the whole arrogance to tell someone they wil loose is a pure abuse of power because they are using their rank to justify their threats. Much like if your.boss said work harder or I'll fire your ***. He clearly has that rank and his threat is justified because he can fire you or punish you for lousy performance.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Administrator

I've been kinda busy all day and apparently some of you have been also. I've read all of the posts and to those who PM'd me thank you again for your support. I want to lay this thing to rest tonight. I don't have any bad feelings towards anyone on here, however after reading all the wonderful posts on ROP, some of you make it tough. I think everyone on here ought to take a few minutes to review all 5 pages. Then we can start putting this thing to rest.

http://realoldspower.prophpbb.com/topic4562.html

I think this has gone on long enough and am sorry for not having the time today to reply. While you guys are reading I will post the comments and history.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:08 PM

I read all the pages typical stuff for rop.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

OK, it is at this point, Oldcutlass, sent the PM to back off or get clobbered.

Then F-85 began another thread to display the fact that he received an unprofessional message from the moderator.

Here are the quotes from that.

f-85: Well i just got a PM from one of our moderators. (oldcutlass) We had a disagreement in a thread and now he sent me a threatening PM. This is his PM to me.

I feel like i should be able to have an opinion. Just because he doesnt agree with me doesnt mean he can control my posts or kick me off this site. I would like to see how other member feel about this. Anyone that knows me knows im a stand up guy. I am an open book with nothing to hide. Ill leave it all out in the open. end quote

professur2 things ... I don't see a 'moderator threat' anywhere ... just another poster. Second ... he was responding to you calling him out ... Specifically "you're not much of an olds guy". On many other sites I post on, that would have netted you a 3 day vacation.

F-85You must be buddys with him. Sure looks like a threat to me. He also deleted my post. I see lots of people here that dont agree on things. Why am i singled out?
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:12 PM

I still see what f85 was just a little ball busting if it where between me and anyone else I would not get a warning would I. Because I'm pretty sure I have personally attacked various members and never got a warning and that's not ball busting.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:13 PM

Hey thanks Jeremy for the previous posts made. Hmmm...seems no one else could find that information.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:13 PM

Pete. What gearhead said was not appropriate. But there's a lot of story you don't know. BadAndy has come here several times under several names. I fought hard to give him a second chance and we did.

Moderators are human, and sometimes we make mistakes.
I'm not defending Andy. I don't have an issue with that admin.

I raised a question in that thread, it was never answered and I let it go until this situation came up.

I was pointing out what appeared to me a double standard, that's why I asked if something was done about the appearance of user conduct violation.

I'm sorry but I hold moderators to a higher standard than I hold myself. I know its hypocritical.

So, do moderators get 3 day time outs when they make a mistake?

I appreciate the civility of your response.

I happen to think cooper is the CO whipping boy, sorry cooper, but I've seen him treated pretty bad without punishment. I don't care how much he brings on himself. If this place is so civil and better than ROP a lot more people should be getting time outs.

AND I HATE THE POP UPS.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:14 PM

Oldcutlass should be aware of people commenting about his Olds having a chevy engine in it. I mean people seem to forget a whole lot this is an OLDSMOBILE site.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:14 PM

J, you missed a piece of the original thread.

I remember thinking there were three things that I felt were over the line. I could only remember two of them this morning. Here's what I posted earlier today. May not be word for word but the general idea that I remembered.

"Your just a chevy guy who can't afford a Chevelle" "I've no idea how you became a moderator"
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

F-85's thread was deleted. Then he remade it a second time, and it was deleted again, then re-made a third time, and the 3 day cool off ban was put into place after the warnings.

So......in retrospect, everyone could have been a better man about this. The only reason I even have to bring this stupidity back into the light of day, is to squash the conspiracy theories.
Bottom line is, F-85 was gearing up for an unnecessary argument, and got a boot up the butt instead.
I personally am disappointed in both men's conduct, but hey, we're only humans. Shake hands and don't be so sensitive.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:17 PM

Boldsmobile I'm ok with that . I don't mind being torn apart I can dish it out with no help and those guys who tore me apart are starting to pick on other people since I did my damage and I no longer bite and their colors are showing.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

J, you missed a piece of the original thread.

I remember thinking there were three things that I felt were over the line. I could only remember two of them this morning. Here's what I posted earlier today. May not be word for word but the general idea that I remembered.

"Your just a chevy guy who can't afford a Chevelle" "I've no idea how you became a moderator"
Well, hell, that's just a plain old insult right there. You can't slap a man in the mouth and expect him to sit there and cry.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
I'm not defending Andy. I don't have an issue with that admin.

I raised a question in that thread, it was never answered and I let it go until this situation came up.

I was pointing out what appeared to me a double standard, that's why I asked if something was done about the appearance of user conduct violation.

I'm sorry but I hold moderators to a higher standard than I hold myself. I know its hypocritical.

So, do moderators get 3 day time outs when they make a mistake?

I appreciate the civility of your response.

I happen to think cooper is the CO whipping boy, sorry cooper, but I've seen him treated pretty bad without punishment. I don't care how much he brings on himself. If this place is so civil and better than ROP a lot more people should be getting time outs.

AND I HATE THE POP UPS.

Its clearly a double standard Pete. Obviously moderators are able to attack, flame, instigate, and threaten. But members are not allowed. For some reason i could not find that in the rule book. Maybe they should write that in.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Well I guess I don't need to cut and paste any more.

Quick Reply: A reminder: User conduct we all agreed to