General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

A reminder: User conduct we all agreed to

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2014, 12:45 PM

To me this site is about ALL Classic Oldsmobiles. There are pre war guys, 40's and 50's guys, Muscle cars, barges, late models, modifiers, purists etc etc. it is a great community and Eric has been one of the top Ambasadors for this site. When was the last time that a Newbie posted that Eric is not one of the first to welcome him into the fold? He takes a common sence approach to diagnosing a problem to helping a fellow member. I didn't see the discussion that lead to this thread so I do not have enough information to form an opinion on who is right or wrong. While I admire every "restored to the factory spec" car I see, I think this would be a very boring hobby indeed if that is all there was. Ever go to a Corvette or Model A Ford show? Row after row of the same cars. These are our cars and the car owners should be able to do what the want with them. We don't all have to agree with what is done but in the end it is the owners car. Those who do not agree that diversity is good for our hobby should form their own website. It could be called The Elitist Olds Club.
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Boldsmobile brings up a great point that first quote he posted seems like self justification to defend his actions . Now that it's in front of us we all seem to have a different view on what was a good and bad call. I don't think its working out the way some people would like it to .
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
This sounds like a great idea as I have been reading threw this and it's seems like the verdict is split evenly on how this should be resolved

Just my opinion
I just went back and counted. Looks like 6 members agree with what Oldcutlass did including Oldcutlass. 5 members are neutral. And 23 members feel like Oldcutlass was wrong and that does not include F-85 because he is banned at the moment. So its nowhere near even.
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
Was anything done about the post below? Seems to be in violation of user conduct to me.
Pete. What gearhead said was not appropriate. But there's a lot of story you don't know. BadAndy has come here several times under several names. I fought hard to give him a second chance and we did. Then when he ripped into someone else I confronted him and he said "do what you have to do" So I banned him the second time telling him there wouldn't be another chance.

Moderators are human, and sometimes we make mistakes. When we do the proper procedure is to first talk with the offending moderator. If you feel you still don't have satisfaction present your case to Dan.

We've had multiple situations where the moderators discussed together what the response should be AS a committee we don't always agree, but we try very hard to come up with the best response.

If there's a problem work with us to make the site better.
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Olds92
I just went back and counted. Looks like 6 members agree with what Oldcutlass did including Oldcutlass. 5 members are neutral. And 23 members feel like Oldcutlass was wrong and that does not include F-85 because he is banned at the moment. So its nowhere near even.
And how many of those people have the full story? THATS why I don't want to take a vote, who thinks this person should be a member here or not???
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
That's like telling the president he is doing a horrible job. He will probably just tell you what have you done to be in my seat and just shrug it off. I think in the members as in all us our best tool is some form of agreement. much like a petition where we will have power in numbers. But it seems the hierarchy has spoken and we have no say since our position is much lower.
Exactly what I was thinking! Feels like this site is for the moderators and what THEY think is okay. When this site is for the people as a whole. Seems our members have spoken and the moderators dont understand power in numbers.
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
And how many of those people have the full story? THATS why I don't want to take a vote, who thinks this person should be a member here or not???
Again, moderators run the show. All posts and threads were deleted before anyone had a chance to see it. All F-85 was trying to do was to show the members what was said so they know. Cant keep hiding forever....

John the point is if this was between me and F85, the post would have been deleted and all would have moved on.
All need to be treated the same.
feel free to delete this as this is my last post on this and most likely on classic olds.
Nick

Exactly what I was thinking! Feels like this site is for the moderators and what THEY think is okay. When this site is for the people as a whole. Seems our members have spoken and the moderators dont understand power in numbers.
Your throwing gas on the fire. Do you want to help resolve a problem or see how big you can make it?
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:54 PM

F-85 has nothing to hide hence he was trying to show the members so by telling me most of these members dont know the whole story doesnt matter because YOU moderators are the ones trying to hide the truth. Truth sucks I know.
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:57 PM

We are working with you and telling you what we feel is right yet you keep telling us its not our place to make that call that's completely misleading to say for us to help you make the site better. Here is a member who a lot of people like and stand by which makes the site great because he provides many members with parts and brings members in and more members means more views which is good for the site . So if we are gonna help the moderators when is the meeting so we can all brainstorm as a community and speak of things that are bugging us or things we should change. I know there is a suggestion section but I think a lot of these topics need to be dealt with while hot.
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Your throwing gas on the fire. Do you want to help resolve a problem or see how big you can make it?
Im not throwing gas in the fire. Im trying to let the truth be known so the members know how the moderators really deal with other members. You have your tail between your legs like a scared dog because members arent agreeing with you. Seems like only a couple people agree with Oldcutlass and most others dont. Thats power in numbers. All you have is control over the site.
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:59 PM

F-85 has nothing to hide hence he was trying to show the members so by telling me most of these members dont know the whole story doesnt matter because YOU moderators are the ones trying to hide the truth. Truth sucks I know.
OK, if you want to continue seeing how many people you can get worked up I guess there's nothing I can do to stop it. This could have been a simple "what did you mean by that", an explanation, and problem solved.

we are working with you and telling you what we feel is right yet you keep telling us its not our place to make that call that's completely misleading to say for us to help you make the site better. Here is a member who a lot of people like and stand by which makes the site great because he provides many members with parts and brings members in and more members means more views which is good for the site . So if we are gonna help the moderators when is the meeting so we can all brainstorm as a community and speak of things that are bugging us or things we should change. I know there is a suggestion section but i think a lot of these topics need to be dealt with while hot.
x2

Oldcutlass hasn't been a moderator very long and if something like this were to arise again he would handle it differently at least when it comes to a PM to a member.
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:01 PM

Im not throwing gas in the fire. Im trying to let the truth be known so the members know how the moderators really deal with other members. You have your tail between your legs like a scared dog because members arent agreeing with you. Seems like only a couple people agree with Oldcutlass and most others dont. Thats power in numbers. All you have is control over the site.
Your spreading one side of the story...
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by 69ishHoliday
Oldcutlass hasn't been a moderator very long and if something like this were to arise again he would handle it differently at least when it comes to a PM to a member.
X2 very freindly and always willing to help !

I think this thread is going in circles . Let the super mods make a desion and be done with it
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
X2 very freindly and always willing to help !

I think this thread is going in circles . Let the super mods make a desion and be done with it
Then the members here have no say in anything and that is unfortunate.
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Justin

Then the members here have no say in anything and that is unfortunate.
I think that is in true they can all send there opinion directly to them to be heard
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by kevin.horton
I think I'm in trouble....I'm not going to remove the stripes. ...Is it any less of an Olds because of that? Just askin'. .
Yes! Chevy stripes don't belong on an Olds!
...of course that's just my opinion and it's your car, so my opinion doesn't mean much, right? Hopefully you won't get all butthurt and send me vague threats via PM, but you're probably not so defensive as certain unnamed individuals.

Disclaimer: this post is tongue in cheek satire and not intended as a flame or libelous speech. Hopefully my sentiments on the F85/oldcutlass issue are coming through, though.
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:10 PM

Look if there is only one side of the story being told that's maybe because there is only one side left., why where things deleted ?! Maybe it was a bad choice but in black and white there is no two ways to cut it that looks bad . If you guys are paying so much attention to threads then maybe you would see that I constantly get into it with the same 3 members ALLLLLLLLL the time over the same stupid things that only bug them and not the op. I usually am just defending my self which I have no issue doing but we muck up a bunch of threads. Why not ban them temporarily or even me in some instances because I have pushed those boundaries much forther than the issue at hand. I'll tell you why because this involved a moderator who "matters".

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 13th, 2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:21 PM

In my view if a moderator is involved in a dispute with a board member the moderator should not be able to use their power to ban, delete threads etc. Because said moderator has a personal stake in what is going on, and will/may attempt to manipulate events to make them look good (at least the temptation is there). I am not saying that is what happened because I don't know the entire story. I do believe the moderator sending a "go ahead make my day" message by pm was totally unacceptable.
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by drop top olds
In my view if a moderator is involved in a dispute with a board member the moderator should not be able to use their power to ban, delete threads etc. Because said moderator has a personal stake in what is going on, and will/may attempt to manipulate events to make them look good (at least the temptation is there). I am not saying that is what happened because I don't know the entire story. I do believe the moderator sending a "go ahead make my day" message by pm was totally unacceptable.
X2 (And I think he's a nice guy that would handle it differently now)
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by f-85
Like it or not, im here just like the LS stuff. Deal with it! if you dont like what i have to say, dont read it! they have a ignore feature here. use it!
LS stuff is here, non olds powered cars are here, if you don't like them posting about it, don't read it? If you don't like anything other than a Olds motor in a Olds why are you even venturing into the Non-Olds forum/posts? Posting in the Non-Olds forum about purism seems like you are looking to instigate even if the intent is not there.

But my comments may be moot because I am relatively new here and don't have proper context on the situation. But since this has been brewing for a time with no action taken (that I am aware of) and that a ban was dealt, seems like this was left to slip somehow. Yes, in a perfect world the mod should know when to let things go, but the same can be said to the other party. We are all human, we all have varying opinions and we will argue. Both parties have passion about their stance, that's commendable but if they couldn't agree to disagree and bury the hatchet themselves then some kind of intervention should have happened well before a ban was dealt. To me it seems there was a huge breakdown in the progression (or lack thereof) on how things should have been handled, there are others who could have stepped in and at least de-escalated the situation long before a ban was needed.

I don't think a ban was the right call, in this situation both parties are partly responsible for events that were leading up to this by continually butting heads over pride, ego, purism, whatever. It doesn't matter, if you are going to ban one and not cast any judgement on the other who openly engaged in the disagreement is not the way to handle things. Again, I don't claim to have proper 100% context on the situation and am only commenting on what I have read with my own eyes.
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:41 PM

All i know is the moderator didn't handle this very well.For this moderator to do what he done should be unacceptable. This is no way to promote a site. He made a threat and carried it out and deleted the post to cover his tracts. Supermoderator is to slow to react to this. All other moderator must feel the posters are below them and what they do is beyond reproach. Why else would this have happened. This moderator was plain and simple in the wrong. Ban me too because i am calling all the moderators out for sitting on there thumbs on this.
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:55 PM

I have been reading this on/off all day. PLEASE don't let this escalate into a battle and ruin this site. I came here to learn about Olds. I have my opinions about them and all the other makers and do my best to keep them to myself. The same with my opinion on transplanting engines between makers. I never had a GM, and in 40 plus years never worked on them very much. I picked up my Olds because it was available and I wanted something different and fairly rare.
Perhaps the mods and super mods should get together and decide how to deal with the situation when a mod has a dispute directly with a member and if that mod has the power to take action.
But don't let the bickering drive away the knowledge that is shared here.
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:00 PM

[B]
Originally Posted by 2blu442[/B

this is not ROP.
Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
This gets on my nerves.
This site could/can not be a pimple on the *** of ROP, and ROP has a lot of pimples on it's ***....... The admin. here needs to realize this fact, and adjust its moderation practices, if they (Classicolds.com) wants to survive, and have any credibility as a classic Oldsmobile web site....
My impression, as i read this thread, is this place is a joke..... IF YOU TRULY WANT TO SERVIVE IN THIS "arena"........... GET A CLUE!!!!

Last edited by rallye bob; April 13th, 2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:09 PM

I still do not like clones......flame on....lol.

But I do not dislike you because you own one.

Last edited by Nilsson; April 13th, 2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:10 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Sounds like quite a few from ROP has gotten their knickers in a bunch because the underpaid (read $0) mods tried to reason with F85 to no avail. Now just because there is no moderation at ROP, you think you can come here and flame away at mods or anyone that doesn't share your views? Hilarious

Believe me ralleye bob this place will survive. You have all of two posts since 2010? Sounds like you read the thread over at ROP and came here just to bash this forum. That's classy, real classy.
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:23 PM

ROP reminds of me of street racers. They spend all this time complaining and moaning and the endless measuring contest to get a race over In a few seconds. There is so much mindless endless chatter on there that back when I first started working on my olds and would google stuff for info I just avoided it all to gether because you would get bits of info and then 5 pages of bs. Essesntially a bunch of dudes who weren't achieving much in the info department and where more interested in the inches they thought they saw on the ruler.
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:30 PM

That's like telling the president he is doing a horrible job. He will probably just tell you what have you done to be in my seat and just shrug it off. I think in the members as in all us our best tool is some form of agreement. much like a petition where we will have power in numbers. But it seems the hierarchy has spoken and we have no say since our position is much lower.
X2 I agree to sit there as a moderator and say that members have no say is wrong. This moderator who sent a threat to F85 and enforced it. The moderator in the wrong period. Who is going to look at what he done?? Nobody! i guess when your at the bottom of the pecking order Only the moderators can delete post and ban whom the want even if they are wrong. Looks like there will be no resolve to this unless this moderator is held accountable for his actions.
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:38 PM

If this is taken to oldsguy It would be interested if it where made public what the choice was. Personally at this point i think that would probably be the best approach. An open table resolution will probably insure all the members who disagree that this was made right in every aspect. After all wouldn't that be the most respectful thing to do ?
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:42 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Who wants to donate their spare time for free to keep discussions civil between different minded people step forward? Okay now that everyone has taken a step back, don't try to think you have both sides of the story. Posts were deleted that were flaming in nature and PM's were sent to curtail the situation. The situation did not get better, in fact it continued to escalate and F85 got a 3 day breather because he failed to step back and diffuse the whole situation. Eric and John are doing what they as mods feel needed to be done. The door swings both ways guys, if you do not like the rules then you are clearly free to venture to forums where bashing is encouraged.
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:51 PM

Easy there, killer. You assume no one would want to be a mod. I've done it before, I can do it again, and I keep the peace in a more rowdy area than this will ever be currently, so.....yeah, I can do that.

The door only swings one way, and that is OUT for US. The point that you are not seeing, and that many here have politely made, is there is no sort of checks and balances system for the moderation here. It got out of hand, and we want a better system. Clubs elect officers, why can't we elect mods?

This is not bashing; this is requesting a review of moderator policy, and a revision to the moderator roster based on multiple incidents with the same mod. And, no, I will not say that in a PM to the super mod, who has not showed up here yet, because IT DOESN'T WORK.

The problem with "you can leave if you don't like it" is when too many people take you up on the offer. Very dumb idea to ever say that to anyone.
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:52 PM

That is rather redundant . Moderators are chosen so don't offer unless you can actually put people in., also assuming people would take a step back is also a bad call because I"ll be a moderator and I will lay it out as I see it and ask before I assume which I have had an issue with 3 members assuming things on what I post. There might be 2 sides to the story but why did the moderator delete stuff . In the court system that would be tampering with evidence which is always highly suspicious.
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Sounds like quite a few from ROP has gotten their knickers in a bunch because the underpaid (read $0) mods tried to reason with F85 to no avail. Now just because there is no moderation at ROP, you think you can come here and flame away at mods or anyone that doesn't share your views? Hilarious

Believe me ralleye bob this place will survive. You have all of two posts since 2010? Sounds like you read the thread over at ROP and came here just to bash this forum. That's classy, real classy.
Nothing wrong with ROP,if it's not to your liking,you're doing the right thing by staying away. I'm a member there and a member here,it's just two different boards,that's all. Before the ROP crash,there was a lot of valuable information there but it wasn't saved. ROP is more of a mellow Yellow Bullet and if you think this little rift is bad,go look @ Yellow Bullet and get back with me.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:00 PM

I didn't get to see the original thread, but I read all of this one. 2 points. 1, as blu clearified, Josh wasn't banned, he got a 3 day suspension. 2, Eric has a ls in his car?
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Hookers under Hood

What is ROP?? Risk of pleasure site ??? I'd like to join and bring my wife in on the bottom then bring her to the top. Is that possible over ther??
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:09 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Sure there will be some takers for a moderating position. Let me re-iterate "Most will take a step back" The point is, they were chosen or asked if they would donate their time to moderate a mostly easy going, highly knowledgeable bunch of Oldsmobile nuts. There is no need for a democracy here when the mods know what to do when things get out of hand and they done just that. Now you guys are flaming them for doing their job as underpaid peacekeepers? This is not a club, you have no say in who elects who to be a mod. Paul (Omicron) the Administrator has that power.

As far as my statement of "You are free to venture to forums where bashing is encouraged" stands. Everyone is "free" to do so if wanted. My point is, don't come here expecting to change the forum because things are different elsewhere or something happened that you don't agree with. That isn't how things work around here.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Hookers under Hood

Holy chit Jack Daniels is up on my counter again and won't get down. Hey I'll buy the next round of drinks !!!

Quick Reply: A reminder: User conduct we all agreed to