General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

A reminder: User conduct we all agreed to

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Olds92
On that note is it okay for moderators to threaten you through a PM? I feel like F-85 handled it correctly by making it known to the members that he was being threatened by a moderator instead of just arguing back and forth with a moderator
What was the threat? I interpreted it as being we're not going to re-hash what you can and cannot do to your car and be a part of this site. Did F85 think it was something else?
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
What was the threat? I interpreted it as being we're not going to re-hash what you can and cannot do to your car and be a part of this site. Did F85 think it was something else?
Oldcutlass sent F-85 a PM saying exactly this "This is a warning to you, do not start this argument, you will lose." Sure sounds like a threat to me. He could have been more professional about it.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:54 AM

Oldcutlass sent F-85 a PM saying exactly this "This is a warning to you, do not start this argument, you will lose." Sure sounds like a threat to me. He could have been more professional about it.
F85 just flamed him! I think his response was acceptable. We're not going to argue what you can and cannot do to your car to be a member here. If you tell me that I shouldn't put power disc brakes on my 1965 442 because it didn't come with them from the factory, that's your opinion. If you get in my face and flame me for it, your starting a fight you won't win. Nobody is going to kick me off the site for changing my car in a way that you don't like. You can have any opinion you like, just don't attack me for having a different opinion.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
At the moment we have a moderator saying F85 is a bad guy and other members either agreeing or coming to his defense.

Roger.
Seems like everyone other than the 2 moderators (that are friends) feel like Oldcutlass was in the wrong here. This site is made for the Oldsmobile enthusiasts.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:55 AM
major noob

Originally Posted by barnfind
Wow!!! dont go on any of the mopar sites if you think that thread was offensive
Yea them Mopar sites do get flamed real quick lol
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:56 AM

F85 just flamed him! I think his response was acceptable. We're not going to argue what you can and cannot do to your car to be a member here. If you tell me that I shouldn't put power disc brakes on my 1965 442 because it didn't come with them from the factory, that's your opinion. If you get in my face and flame me for it, your starting a fight you won't win. Nobody is going to kick me off the site for changing my car in a way that you don't like. You can have any opinion you like, just don't attack me for having a different opinion.
Seems like youre twisting this anyway you can to defend your friend. The main reason for this is the threat made by Oldcutlass.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:58 AM

Seems like everyone other than the 2 moderators (that are friends) feel like Oldcutlass was in the wrong here. This site is made for the Oldsmobile enthusiasts.
Now I'm getting pissed off! NOBODY said F85 was a bad person.

If you go back a few years there were some heated discussions about having a non-olds forum. The decision was made. It was FINAL!!! We will not crucify someone for putting a different engine in their car. If you don't like what someone else is doing, ignore it.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:59 AM

Seems like youre twisting this anyway you can to defend your friend. The main reason for this is the threat made by Oldcutlass.
OK, I'm taking a deep breath. Your wrong. If ANY member was being flamed due to what they did to their car I'd be defending them.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:00 AM

This is not a mopar site, this is not ROP, we don't flame people because we disagree with them here.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:03 AM
" Hoo yah "

Here is how I see it. A single moderator should not be able to ban anyone when they are directly involved in the disputes. People can lose objectiveness when they are directly involved sometimes, and can't see that their comments can also be out of line. I don't see how anyone can have a say or ban someone when their response was out of line as well.Suspensions or bans should be decided by a board of moderators, so people can see it from different angles. The board should be comprised of new moderators that only deal with suspensions and bans. They should be totally independent from other moderators. I still think it is wrong for F85 to be banned for three days without the moderator not being sanctioned for his comments that IMO appear to be threatening in nature also. With that said I don't know if it was that guy or blu who issued the suspension?? How come other moderators have not responded to this? I see people get flamed over more serious stuff all the time on here, but yet nothing is ever said. I think another member alluded to that earlier in this thread.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:04 AM
major noob

I'm not defending anyone for I have seen the pm sent to f85 but I have not had a problem with oldscutlass maybe its that I'm a youngun idk but to me that seems sporatic even for him
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by 815Cutlass1972
Here is how I see it. A single moderator should not be able to ban anyone when they are directly involved in the disputes. People can lose objectiveness when they are directly involved sometimes, and can't see that their comments can also be out of line. I don't see how anyone can have a say or ban someone when their response was out of line as well.Suspensions or bans should be decided by a board of moderators, so people can see it from different angles. The board should be comprised of new moderators that only deal with suspensions and bans. They should be totally independent from other moderators. I still think it is wrong for F85 to be banned for three days without the moderator not being sanctioned for his comments that IMO appear to be threatening in nature also. With that said I don't know if it was that guy or blu who issued the suspension?? How come other moderators have not responded to this? I see people get flamed over more serious stuff all the time on here, but yet nothing is ever said. I think another member alluded to that earlier in this thread.
OK, when the posts were being made and deleted I was online. I tried to convince f85 to cool off and stop escalating the conflict. It wasn't just oldscutlass. I have spoken up whenever I see posts that cross the line. If I missed some, I'm sorry. I'm not here 24/7, I have a job, a life, other things I have to do besides my hobby. If you see a problem bring it to the attention of the moderators. You can also speak up and be a peacemaker yourself if you see a problem starting.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:10 AM

Oldscutlass PM to F85 should have been clearer. Oldscutlass said do not start an argument, you will lose. That was wrong. There is nothing against the rules about a simple argument/disagreement.

What Oldscutlass should have said in his PM, was something along the lines of "I consider your comments a 'flame,' and against the rules of this site. Please tone it down, this is a warning."
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

Youre right its not a mopar site its an olds site. If you look at the similarities instead of the differences my point might be better received. ie: rules across the board for all! I dont feel a 3 day suspension will change anyones opinion its just a cooling off period. My opinion is whoever marketed the 350 chevy was a genious, as it has pissed off all purists regardless of manufacturer. Am I any less an olds person cause I like different manufacturers, I dont think so....
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:23 AM

Awesome Site.....do whatever it takes to keep it that way.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Administrator

I have been apart of this site since 09. My love for Oldsmobile is no less than any other member on here because there happens to be a Chevrolet power plant in mine. Anyone who knows me can vouch for that. I'm a big boy and can take respectful opposing opinions on reasons you should not do it, just as you should be tolerant of the decision for others to do it.

The issue at hand is not the non-olds power plant, it was the personal attack on integrity and the unwillingness to stop when asked to. It was the escalation on his part to make it personal. There were 4 attempts on his part to keep the attack going. He was warned that continuation of those attempts will lead to a 3 day ban. I would have and have done the same thing in support of other members on this site. It seems that people feel they can say whatever they want towards another individual without consequence. In the last few years we've lost many members because of personal attacks and drama. I personally have persuaded members not to quit.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:29 AM

Wow, something I didn't want to read first thing in the morning on CO. Can of worms is open now. I feel like I am back in school in the principle's office. The best solution now is delete this thread before it causes more injury. Peace
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Justin

Originally Posted by drjr56
Awesome Site.....do whatever it takes to keep it that way.
X2

Also I think all the mods are great they take the time to do there jobs simplie because they want to , with nothing in return
There is two sides to every story and this one much has been deleted and only a small one sentence was reposted.
I personally don't take that sentence offensively but I can also see some one in a heated debate doing so

Just my opinion
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I find it funny that when someone is given some thread of control they run with it and over do it. Not all people are cut out for that. I found it funny that there was a post about recent foreign car recalls and it got shut down when things got real. It was actually kept in line but very very strong arguments made. Then when I posted about the gm recalls it got deleted not by old cutlass but still got deleted. I'm not mad about that. But what kinda tickedme off was I posted in the wahat parts don't fit thread and my tou ge in cheek joke that chevy engines don't fit in oldsmobiles got deleted. COMPLETE BS. It was just little joke but I guess some people are wayyyyy to serious. Case and point this thread these arguments me posting about something that isn't even car related. I guess we have to be monitored like a bunch of kids and as adults we can take a joke or jab or just walk away. Cutlassefi and I don't get along but he also bumped heads with oldcutlass. Overmoderation ,overinvolvement, over doing anything is never good. Take it with a grain of salt. I have nothing against oldcutlass but when you start deleting stuff or you sut down a thread because "people are complaining " well I'm sorry the world don't beat to the tune of one damn drum. People need to suck it up grow a pair and let it be. We argue bacuse we are passionate about the hobby it gets out of control but when the dust settles we come back.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:41 AM
" Hoo yah "

Talking

OK, when the posts were being made and deleted I was online. I tried to convince f85 to cool off and stop escalating the conflict. It wasn't just oldscutlass. I have spoken up whenever I see posts that cross the line. If I missed some, I'm sorry. I'm not here 24/7, I have a job, a life, other things I have to do besides my hobby. If you see a problem bring it to the attention of the moderators. You can also speak up and be a peacemaker yourself if you see a problem starting.
Blu I have spoken up before and guess who had something to say when another member/moderator flamed me for mistyping a word, and I admit that I responded strongly, but the point is that person attacked me first over some trivial stuff that had nothing to do with the post at all. No one ever said you will catch everything and I do not expect you to do so. I moderate people lives for a living wage, and I know the task is hard. The statement was I've see other people get flamed over more serious and trivial stuff, but a ban only when a moderator is involved. That other guy was wrong also, but nothing happened to him right. A lot of people on this thread have said they feel the moderator was out of line as well. You will not win and a ban thereafter proves it. I have made my suggestions earlier in the thread about future suspensions and bans.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:47 AM

Since I totally agree with Josh, one moderator should not have absolute powers. So I'm outa here.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Copper, I did not shut the thread down about the recalls, and I believe I've kept your threads in line more than once on this forum when it was hijacked by personal attacks. We as moderators try to stay impartial, it's tough sometimes.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:53 AM

chevy engines should only go into fords.everybody knows that!lol.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:58 AM

Oldcutlass I know you didn't shut that thread down. I mentioned that. It wasn't you. What my main point being was it got shut down because people can't be bothered to be bothered. Essentially everyone has to agree and hold hands and sing camp fire song in harmony. But that's impossible to do so if someone disagrees based on opinion you should just walk because opinions are like @$$Hol3's and its never gonna change. I can care less if I get attacked I can fend for my self its usually the same 3 clowns so it got to the point I think everyone knows the cycle and I will defend my self why well because I won't back down so easy I will back donw once I said something for my self then I'm done. What pisses me off is that lately there is an abundance of instances where threads are getting changed or locked or altered and I'm sorry but I don't think it should go changed because then we have no choice but to be sheep. Would you like it if your stuff got altered or changed or deleted.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 13th, 2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Did you ever think that some of the threads are shutdown or altered due to the request of the OP or it was reported offensive by another member.
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:11 AM

If the op wants it shut that's fine but other memebers I'm sorry the world does not need to cater to said memebers because like I said the world don't beat to the tune of one drum. That's like saying there is only one way to live your life. People have to realized that if something offends them either walk away or ignore it because chances are someone think that what they said is ok so you can't shut em down
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Hookers under Hood

I said my goodbye's earlier but my green light came on lol, I would hate to be a moderator in this day an age. It seems your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't!! I was under the impression F85 was banned for life, now I know that's not the case. Even thou I have never interacted with him, I felt bad for him being on the site for many years selling parts not knowing if this was his bread and butter. Looks like things will be back to normal in a couple days. Oldcutlass is always here to welcome new members and is always willing to help I've seen many of his posts, again not knowing the whole story. I just hate it for all involved in this computer age were in. Again being a moderator would suck as a hobby in these instances . Tssssssst Gu Gu GU ahhh the BBQ is on Time to enjoy the day, Hey you guys got me goin here I just might slam my wife 2nite lmao!! OOOPS #8
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:21 AM
major noob

I have to say I'm with copper some people just gotta tuff up. If someone wants a go at me let them I'll take a challenge every once in a while
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:23 AM
major noob

Originally Posted by 76olds
I said my goodbye's earlier but my green light came on lol, I would hate to be a moderator in this day an age. It seems your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't!! I was under the impression F85 was banned for life, now I know that's not the case. Even thou I have never interacted with him, I felt bad for him being on the site for many years selling parts not knowing if this was his bread and butter. Looks like things will be back to normal in a couple days. Oldcutlass is always here to welcome new members and is always willing to help I've seen many of his posts, again not knowing the whole story. I just hate it for all involved in this computer age were in. Again being a moderator would suck as a hobby in these instances . Tssssssst Gu Gu GU ahhh the BBQ is on Time to enjoy the day, Hey you guys got me goin here I just might slam my wife 2nite lmao!! OOOPS #8
You crack me up 76
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Hookers under Hood

I'll have to giver a hip replacement at 50 now that certainly won't be original equipment but i'll still love it Cheers guys enjoy the day !!!!!
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

is that an original olds hip or some other type of prt? lol
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:44 AM

A few points.

Copper, I requested that the thread about recalls get shut down, and I did it for protection of this forum. We had a moderator, not Eric, being libelous against a car manufacturer against court opinion. I referred the matter to the site admin, as he, and by extension the owner of the site, could be held liable for defamation, and they company he was doing it to sure does prowl the net and other media looking for that stuff. I did convey this to the mod before I went to the site admin, and I was blown off by the mod.

Here's the problem. I'm going to be real here. We have some people that are confused on what a moderator does. I've run as many sites and forum databases as anyone here, I'd wager, so let me lay down some clarification:

A moderator facilitates, they do not dictate. Ideally, the mod will impartially regulate out of hand content and conduct for the betterment of all, trying to treat everyone the best way possible.

Now, when there is an argument between a mod and a member, the mod should ALWAYS back down when it's personal. The mod needs to "take the hit" for the board so that you don't lose the member. If you can't separate the personal from the professional, then you shouldn't be doing the job.
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by barnfind
is that an original olds hip or some other type of prt? lol

LMAO that would be 2019 china plastic I believe!!! I will have to be more careful looking at the all the boxes and hanging fruits in the grocery store when she takes me shopping too, I have rear ended her many times jus lookin around, I would hate to have to shell out the $$$ for a new rear end as well. Ok anuf said now i'm in trouble lol. Take it easy guys Have a great day .

Cheers Eric
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:49 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by allyolds68
How about you just reinstate F85 and cut the crap. It was a minor beef between him and a moderator. People are passionate about Olds and keeping Olds engines in them.

I second this.......
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:52 AM

That's a great point koda and I respect that because I didn't even think about that but matter of the fact is they could have requested that the poster change his post before locking it completely. It like a good exchange of thoughts. But yes that thread go very redundant towards the end but it also showed levels of ignorance .
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:56 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

And...............I think anyone who puts a Chevy engine in there Olds is a turd...Thats my .02 And it doesnt make you a bad person.....
Old April 13th, 2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
I second this.......
And another second for reinstating F85 today..
Old April 13th, 2014, 10:24 AM

this is not ROP.

This gets on my nerves.
Old April 13th, 2014, 10:26 AM

I third the motion. This country was founded on the ideals of free speach. I did not see a personal attack from F-85. I personally believe there was no real call for a ban. I also believe an apology is in order. If Josh decides to delete his account, (he has mentioned this), and never return to Classic Oldsmobile, it would be a huge loss to this community. I feel if this matter is not handled more appropriately, this sight may loose a good amount of other members as well. F85 is well liked by a great number of members here.
Old April 13th, 2014, 10:29 AM

I think the bigger issue is that it is a Moderater with the Chebby motor, If it was another member prob would of never been an issue. Kinda like a big wig at GM driving a Ford as a daily driver. (would not go over well) Guy says got a good deal fell in his lap blah blah blah. Sell it and install an OLDS if your such a olds guy. I nominate F85 as moderater Need more people like that running these boards. I know if someone GAVE me a 10,000 chevy motor it definitely NOT would go in my OLDS! These boards are for OLDS people that is why they are Classified as such. JMO

Quick Reply: A reminder: User conduct we all agreed to