General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

A reminder: User conduct we all agreed to

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2014, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Some of us know you were here all along posting in this thread.

Hey Dick

I guess you dont know that My Olds lady is Olds92. And she is just as a much of a hardcore olds lover as i am. Thats how we met and thats one of the reasons we are together. We live together, work together, and love Oldsmobiles more then anything. Anyone that knows her knows that all she posted were her thoughts and opinions. Go ahead and ask some people before you come on here making smart a** comments.
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Them IPs are sneaky things.

Olds92 is my olds lady, and she is just as hardcore as me, and she is not afraid to speak her opinions.
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Them IPs are sneaky things.
We share the same IP because we live together.
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:51 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by f-85
Hey Dick

I guess you dont know that My Olds lady is Olds92. .
I did know that. Thats why I posted with the little winky smileyface.
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:54 AM

Honestly i think she is more hardcore then i am. I had to get her to not say some of her feelings because i did not want her to get in trouble defending me.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by jpmdaddy
someone needs to close this thread
+ 3.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:07 AM

I've been on VB sites for nearly 20 years now ... this thread is a prime example of why despite numerous requests, I refuse to be a moderator.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:13 AM

Then why would you make a comment like that if you knew it wasnt true. Seems like you are starting crap, and trying to make me look bad.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:17 AM

As a moderator and member you just broke rule #3

3. Personal attacks against other forum members will not be tolerated, nor will any type of "trolling" for a fight. This includes political attacks, slurs, or sneering at any viewpoint or political party.

Last edited by f-85; April 14th, 2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:19 AM

This is what this thread is all about. Selective moderation, and abuse of power. Now that gearheads78 has broke a rule. What happens to him???
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

AGAIN, let me interject here. Since everyone will not act their age, I will point out some more flaws. I leave this thread for 1 hour, and people are already acting foolish.

Some of us know you were here all along posting in this thread.
Unnecessary, and slightly underhanded.

Hey Dick
Unnecessary, and blatantly being a jerk. His name is Richard, and you chose to use the shortened version to suit your angered purpose.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
AGAIN, let me interject here. Since everyone will not act their age, I will point out some more flaws. I leave this thread for 1 hour, and people are already acting foolish.

Unnecessary, and slightly underhanded.

Unnecessary, and blatantly being a jerk. His name is Richard, and you chose to use the shortened version to suit your angered purpose.

Its his name dude, relax...
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:43 AM

On another note, what are YOU going to do about his violation of rule #3??? Again this is not the way Moderators are supposed to act on the forum. And you wonder why so many people have stood up and posted on this thread. Im not the only one who sees it that way. Seems like the moderators do whatever they can to protect each other. I dont see oldcutlass or gearheads78 having any infractions.

Gearheads78 had nothing to add to the topic at hand, and only posted to start crap! Its a clear violation of the rules. I guess the rules only apply to members and the moderators have no rules to follow.

Last edited by f-85; April 14th, 2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I do not have the ability to make everyone's decisions and choice of words for them. I would like to see good judgement calls from both our moderators, and our members.
This is our point of failure.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'm not really angry, just disappointed. I fear there is no cure for the illnesses that will continue to plague us.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:56 AM

But you are a moderator and you are supposed to enforce the rules. Why is it if i brake a rule i get an infraction, but the moderators (oldcutlass and grearheads78) can do as they please without any consequences.....
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I'm not really angry, just disappointed. I fear there is no cure for the illnesses that will continue to plague us.

I think the cure is to revoke the moderators privileges to those moderators that cant handle the position in a professional manor.
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:03 AM
car guy

This is what this thread is all about. Selective moderation, and abuse of power. Now that gearheads78 has broke a rule. What happens to him???
I don't go by Dick never have gone by Dick. You like to use that nickname for me every chance you get.

As for the post ...That wasn't what I was doing. I was trying make a little light in a dark thread for the site. I am sure you were no where near the keyboard on any of the posts that were made by your better half.

As for what happens to me........I'll make it real simple. I'm done babysitting! I joined as a modderator when I had much more spare time and was on the net a lot more. I have 3 kids, a 12 hour a day job, people wanting to do side work all the time and just bought land planning to build a new house. I love all kinds of cars but BOP are my favorite. I will still build my own cars with the make of engine they were born with but will not turn my nose up at someone else because they do not. I helped create the non-olds area because people kept coming on here with non olds powered cars and every thread became a flame war. All those threads were moved to one area to help get control of the flaming on the board and for the most part its worked well.

I still might stop in and read or post from time to time but YALL CAN TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT !!!
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

But you are a moderator and you are supposed to enforce the rules. Why is it if i brake a rule i get an infraction, but the moderators (oldcutlass and grearheads78) can do as they please without any consequences.....
I'm sorry, bud. But that's just the way it is on here. This website is owned by an advertising corporation, and has been entrusted to the hands of 10 men on a strictly volunteer basis.
Internet Brands, Inc. threw the site up in the air like a handful of confetti, and we glued all the pieces of paper back together to keep the site up and running.

The only reason it still exists for everyone, is because we volunteer to maintain it, and deal with everyone's crap. I don't think the corporation could give 2 craps about what happens to it. I just try and hold it together for as long as I can so everyone can have fun on here.
Kind of like how GM threw Oldsmobile away, and people like us are the only ones keeping it from dying.
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

So, let's say we did fire 3 of the 10 moderators, Now we're down to 7 people maintaining the site, and out of those 7, how many have time to keep up with the day to day influx of junk posts with full time jobs and families?

My take is, we're lucky to even still have this website. That's why these arguments seem so petty.
We could have nothing, but we don't. We have something here, so let's be grateful for it, and try not to poop next our dinner plates.
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I wish we had something nice like Russel Hunt has with realoldspower.com. He physically owns the site, and can do as he sees fit to make it what he wants. If people want to be a part of it, great, if not, great.

If I owned this site, I'd do things differently. If you owned the site, I'm sure you would too.

Fact is, nobody owns anything, not even the moderators, and the future of this place resides in everyone's good judgements and choices.

If we tear down the only "rough" system in place, this place would be down the drain in a week or 2.
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Past Administrator

No moderator will be dismissed on this site. I respect that people have different opinions but I do not think that drawing blood will heal any wounds already inflicted. Forget it all and move on, please.
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:37 AM

It is time to end this thread. Or, are there members that have to have the last word on this stinking pile of sheet?

Please let that be me.

Last edited by Nilsson; April 14th, 2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:39 AM

So, has this site always been corporate owned? If not, who was/ are the a-hole(s) that sold the domain name?

It's very noble of you guys that moderate to do so voluntarily while some company rakes in ad money for crap nobody clicks on.
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:46 AM

I just have two questions
Are the moderators members of this site or just moderators of this site?
I hope I just missed intrepid what jay said

I'm sorry, bud. But that's just the way it is on here. This website is owned by an advertising corporation, and has been entrusted to the hands of 10 men on a strictly volunteer basis.

Are they held to the same standard I am or not?
I respect the moderator's do and thank them for their time.
we all joined this site freely and if the standards are not the same then I fear this site may have seen better day.
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Administrator

I'd like to thank everyone for weighing in with their opinions on this thread. I've read carefully through the posts and suggestions offered, both here and on ROP and I would like to resolve this issue. To all those who feel I acted wrongly, I apologize. To f85, I think we both know where we stand on the issues toward our cars, so let's move past it. I apologize to you for my reaction - it could have been handled better, and the choice of words in both our discussions obviously needs to be better chosen to avoid future potential confrontation. Your interpretation of what I said is not what I intended when I typed it on my keyboard, but I now have to live with that. Thank you to ALL for your insights, I have learned a great deal from this experience and will try to do better in the future. My feelings toward the brand and this site have always been and still remain positive.
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:54 AM

dead-horse.gif
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by fleming442
So, has this site always been corporate owned? If not, who was/ are the a-hole(s) that sold the domain name?

It's very noble of you guys that moderate to do so voluntarily while some company rakes in ad money for crap nobody clicks on.
Here's a little history. What little is left, anyway. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...o-started.html
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Past Administrator

Thanks for the honesty guys. I already said it once privately but I publicly thank you for your humility and honesty Eric, good work. I have also thanked you Josh for your honesty and appreciate what you can do for our site and for our beloved Oldsmobile cars and I do so again publicly. Good work guys. Now let's move on.
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by nicks1966
I just have two questions
Are the moderators members of this site or just moderators of this site?
I hope I just missed intrepid what jay said
Moderators are regular old members same as you. They just have more options.

Originally Posted by nicks1966
Are they held to the same standard I am or not?
I respect the moderator's do and thank them for their time.
we all joined this site freely and if the standards are not the same then I fear this site may have seen better day.
Not really. It is slightly one sided. Kind of like a "father/son" type of deal, rather than an "all men's opinions are of equal value" scenario.

In the end, what "father" says, is the final word of the household, and we could feasibly be grounded for misbehaving. If you don't like your parents, I suppose you could always run away from home.
For the most part, I feel the moderators have created a good moral set and standard of existence for our members here, and if I quit doing this job tomorrow, I would still have no problem relinquishing control to the current leadership, and having a good time on here.

Some people may not like this, but that is the way things are done here, and whining and temper tantrums won't really help anything.

Thank you to all of the members here who make this place great.
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:21 AM

PLEASE- Close this and get back to what we all enjoy, Olds peeps helping other Olds peeps keep these cars going down the road