General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2022, 10:02 PM

Thanks, the steel rims apparently are the hardest thing to find, luckily I have the spare in the trunk, with the original non dot date bias ply tire still on it. Don't think it's ever seen pavement, and never will.
Old January 10th, 2022, 04:22 AM
Bfg

I love those Starfires! I think sometimes of getting rid of my 442 and getting a Starfire.
Old January 10th, 2022, 11:09 PM
GCH

Very nice cars , both Elbert999 and sd28740 , love that body style.
Old January 11th, 2022, 05:08 AM

Thanks very much!
Old March 3rd, 2022, 02:33 PM

Can you tell me what the vacuum operated switch inside the glove box on a 1962 starfire with A/C does? The switch is just below the glove box light switch.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 02:45 PM
Forward into the Past

Could it be the trunk release?
Old March 3rd, 2022, 02:54 PM
Bfg

Press it and find out
Old March 3rd, 2022, 04:14 PM

Trunk release

Originally Posted by Human
Could it be the trunk release?
. Thanks Human You were right. I just found the trunk release handle which had fallen off from the previous owner. Damn that switch was driving me nuts. 😂
Old March 3rd, 2022, 04:25 PM

Trunk Release.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 04:26 PM

Trunk release

And that also explains the crusty vacuum hose running down the driver's side firewall and along the frame all the way back to the trunk.
Old March 4th, 2022, 10:49 PM

Howdy from Texas

Hello, copying this from my Newbie post since I am acquiring a big C body...

I have been in other automotive forums, and have worked on other large, rear drive vehicles, but this will be my first Oldsmobile. It has great sentimental value as it is presently my Grandfathers car, but we have agreed on terms and I will be picking it up and relocating it to Austin, Texas in the coming months. Once I have the car here, I will have many questions about what things to do first as I want to actually drive the car to church and lunch every Sunday and potential do the occasional parade / cruise-in. As such, I will want to do any and all "bolt on" things to make it more drivable and safe without modifying to the point where it cannot be easily returned to original state.

It is a goosebump moment for me because it is the year I was born, my grandfather was just the 3rd owner, and he garaged it for 30 years when it was not in parades or nursing home visits.

Old March 5th, 2022, 08:56 AM

Upgrades

[QUOTE=Bigsk8r;1410342]Hello, copying this from my Newbie post since I am acquiring a big C body...

I have been in other automotive forums, and have worked on other large, rear drive vehicles, but this will be my first Oldsmobile. It has great sentimental value as it is presently my Grandfathers car, but we have agreed on terms and I will be picking it up and relocating it to Austin, Texas in the coming months. Once I have the car here, I will have many questions about what things to do first as I want to actually drive the car to church and lunch every Sunday and potential do the occasional parade / cruise-in. As such, I will want to do any and all "bolt on" things to make it more drivable and safe without modifying to the point where it cannot be easily returned to original state.

It is a goosebump moment for me because it is the year I was born, my grandfather was just the 3rd owner, and he garaged it for 30 years when it was not in parades or nursing home visits.

Start with replacing the front and rear suspension rubber and ball joints. Make sure all light bulbs work. Replace all fluids.

Old March 9th, 2022, 02:15 PM

Olds C Body Parts - Updated Info

Thought the folks in this thread might be interested to check out an ad I just posted for all of the spare engine, long and short shaft tranny, and rusted parts car that Grandpa had and I cannot bring to Texas with me. The parts car has decent interior intact and all original glass still.

Here is the link with some updates:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-read-162659/

Last edited by Bigsk8r; March 10th, 2022 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Updated Information
Old March 11th, 2022, 11:01 AM

Hello Fellow Darksiders

Hey Y’all

I’m new to to the forum here and I absolutely fit right in, I hope…

I recently traded for a 1969 Delta 88 convertible, factory big block car. 455 2 bbl. 39k original miles.
has Edelbrock 4 bbl, and manifold now.

Older refresh/resto. New paint, freshened up.

The ball joints and tie rods and wheel bearings. Need some attention. And other parts too ☹️

I was wondering if any other Oldsmobile front end components are interchangeable?

Or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thank you Steve!

also, this is the first time in my 63 years on the planet requesting information from a forum format, so if I’m posting in the wrong place.

just let me know!

Old March 12th, 2022, 08:17 PM

darksider newbie

Hello, i am new to thif forum, just purchased a 64 dynamic 88 convertible. I will upload pics as soon as i rid the hideas low rider wheels it is rolling on. Which brings me to this question. Where to find parts for this car, any help will be greatly appreciated
Old March 13th, 2022, 08:03 AM

Your wheels

Originally Posted by hundayguy
Hello, i am new to thif forum, just purchased a 64 dynamic 88 convertible. I will upload pics as soon as i rid the hideas low rider wheels it is rolling on. Which brings me to this question. Where to find parts for this car, any help will be greatly appreciated
just curious what the lowrider wheels look like. I might be interested!
Old March 13th, 2022, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by hundayguy
Originally Posted by Steve_SW
Hey Y’all

I’m new to to the forum here and I absolutely fit right in, I hope…

I recently traded for a 1969 Delta 88 convertible, factory big block car. 455 2 bbl. 39k original miles.
has Edelbrock 4 bbl, and manifold now.

Older refresh/resto. New paint, freshened up.

The ball joints and tie rods and wheel bearings. Need some attention. And other parts too ☹️

I was wondering if any other Oldsmobile front end components are interchangeable?

Or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thank you Steve!

also, this is the first time in my 63 years on the planet requesting information from a forum format, so if I’m posting in the wrong place.

just let me know!

What kind of front brakes are on it? Drums? Discs? If discs, do you know if the rotors are within spec? That will determine what wheel bearings you need and how easy they may be to find. If you need new discs, they may be harder to find than drums. As for parts, there are some online places that you can try…Fusick and Kanter are places to start. NAPA my have some of the parts as well. You can also scan the parts section of this forum and post what you need there. Sometimes you get lucky and somebody has nos parts they are willing to part with. Worth a try. Hope this helps.

BTW, beautiful car. I love the color.
Old March 13th, 2022, 12:13 PM

Start with Fusick for your auto parts. Then that will lead you down a rabbit hole of other companies who have your parts. Ebay is a good one too. When you search for an item in google, use the image search too. The item you are looking for might be hidden on a webpage that isn't listed on Googl's text thread.
Old March 13th, 2022, 01:38 PM
Art S

shop manuals

I purchased the service manual when I first got my 1961 Olds. I saw in some thread mention getting the 'chassis and body' Parts & Accessories Catalog.
What is the difference and do I need both? Does anyone here have a copy or them for sale?

It looks like the interior has had some freshening up in the past and when they put it back together there are screws and hardware missing.

Old March 13th, 2022, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Supernice88
I purchased the service manual when I first got my 1961 Olds. I saw in some thread mention getting the 'chassis and body' Parts & Accessories Catalog.
What is the difference and do I need both? Does anyone here have a copy or them for sale?

It looks like the interior has had some freshening up in the past and when they put it back together there are screws and hardware missing.
About the service manuals. I have a 1962 Starfire. I bought both the 1961 and the 1962 manual. Both manuals are vague in some parts and one manual compliments the other and vice versa. Just buy both manuals. You will be glad you did.

Old March 13th, 2022, 03:38 PM
Art S

Thank you.
Old March 13th, 2022, 05:18 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Supernice88
I saw in some thread mention getting the 'chassis and body' Parts & Accessories Catalog.

We have them here for free. As downloads.
These PDF files are huge, so they will have to be downloaded to a PC or laptop.
See these threads here;
1963 Oldsmobile Parts and Accessories Catalog (Chassis Edition) - ClassicOldsmobile.com
and
1963 Oldsmobile Parts and Accessories Catalog (Body Edition) - ClassicOldsmobile.com

The 1963 catalog covers all parts that were available from GM for Oldsmobiles in 1963 .
The coverage is pretty good back to the mid fifties.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; March 13th, 2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old March 13th, 2022, 09:06 PM
Art S

Thank you Charlie, they will help a lot.
Old March 14th, 2022, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Delmont1968
What kind of front brakes are on it? Drums? Discs? If discs, do you know if the rotors are within spec? That will determine what wheel bearings you need and how easy they may be to find. If you need new discs, they may be harder to find than drums. As for parts, there are some online places that you can try…Fusick and Kanter are places to start. NAPA my have some of the parts as well. You can also scan the parts section of this forum and post what you need there. Sometimes you get lucky and somebody has nos parts they are willing to part with. Worth a try. Hope this helps.

BTW, beautiful car. I love the color.
Thanks for the compliment, Saffron Yellow!

This car is 4 wheel drum... I'm thinking about disks, but for now I want at least one summer before I tear into it next winter.

Also Thanks for the Fusick tip, WOW great site.

Steve
Old March 14th, 2022, 10:14 AM

If you need a brake booster or master cylinder rebuild kit, I highly recommend Harmon Classic Brakes. Those guys are one hand and quick with repsonses when you send them pics of what you need.
Old March 14th, 2022, 01:24 PM

This car is 4 wheel drum... I'm thinking about disks, but for now I want at least one summer before I tear into it next winter.

Steve
You are welcome. As for converting you car to discs, I suggest you do a lot of homework before you go that route. There are some conversion kits on the market, but they are not cheap, and it is questionable if they work much better than the drums you have. If you find an original 69/70 disc setup for your car, the problem will be finding rotors. There really are no original or quality after mark discs out there. Part of the mastic of owning a large Oldsmobile…it’s not a bow tie, and it is a B-body, so most after mark folks don’t bother making parts. There is a good conversation on this over on the “Eighty-Eight” page of this forum:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-cars-132879/

Hope this helps. If nothing else, you will have an idea what you are getting into if you do decide to take the leap into disc brakes.

Old March 14th, 2022, 01:34 PM

BTW, I meant mystique, not mastic…need to check spell check better before hitting the send button.
Old March 14th, 2022, 01:46 PM

You are welcome. As for converting you car to discs, I suggest you do a lot of homework before you go that route. There are some conversion kits on the market, but they are not cheap, and it is questionable if they work much better than the drums you have. If you find an original 69/70 disc setup for your car, the problem will be finding rotors. There really are no original or quality after mark discs out there. Part of the mastic of owning a large Oldsmobile…it’s not a bow tie, and it is a B-body, so most after mark folks don’t bother making parts. There is a good conversation on this over on the “Eighty-Eight” page of this forum:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-cars-132879/

Hope this helps. If nothing else, you will have an idea what you are getting into if you do decide to take the leap into disc brakes.
About the brake conversion. I concur. A brake conversion looks cool, ease of brake pad change is great. But really, how often do you plan to change the brakes on your weekend warrior? Are you hot rodding it? I'd say if you are not doing any of the above, leave them drum. They stop just fine and the springs, levers and **** keeps your brain exercised when doing work on them.

Old March 15th, 2022, 12:24 PM

Steve
If you email Kanter auto parts, they will send you their catalog. You can probably download it online too. They are another for GM products
Old March 15th, 2022, 03:01 PM

Question Inner Ball Joints?

Originally Posted by Octania
What?
You can't have a manual trans Big Car.
That's crazy talk, much like "the moon is all dark." Just take a look.

But seriously, I have spare parts yet if you need
I have the elusive '65-70 upper LH ball joint!
Hello Octania,
I see this is a 10 year old post, but I'm in need to 2 upper ball joints for a 69 Delta 88 with the 455.

Just seeing if there are any still available?

Thanks........Steve
Old March 15th, 2022, 05:38 PM
Phantom Phixer

Hello Octania,
I see this is a 10 year old post, but I'm in need to 2 upper ball joints for a 69 Delta 88 with the 455.

Thanks........Steve
I'm sorry Steve, but Octania ( Chris Witt) passed away several years ago.
Old March 21st, 2022, 03:24 PM

Hey guys... my Aunt & Uncle finally took pics and I have added them to the ad I posted a couple weeks ago in the parts section...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-read-162659/

Feel free to message me directly if you have any questions. In summary... a 1970 Olds 98 parts car. Three transmissions. One 455 2bbl.

Thanks!
Old March 27th, 2022, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
I'm sorry Steve, but Octania ( Chris Witt) passed away several years ago.
Oh! I’m so sorry….
Old March 31st, 2022, 08:38 AM

Mastic

BTW, I meant mystique, not mastic…need to check spell check better before hitting the send button.
I actually looked up the word Masitc and saw that it’s a sticky substance. I was thinking what an interesting use of the word, and it fit appropriately as well!
Old April 12th, 2022, 02:20 PM

Greetings,

My name is Chris and I am a Darksider. My girlfriend and I decided to go halves on a 1963 Dynamic 88. It has the obvious fun stuff like the Hydramatic transmission, 394 ci / 2 barrel carb. The car has sat outside most of it's life and it shows with the suspension and paint. We love it though and it's super cool. The first thing we did was re-seal the transmission to cure the nasty leak. It shifts great still, so a rebuild wasn't necessary. Did some brake work, but it needs more. The big thing is all of the suspension bushings and ball joints. That's in progress now. The lowers are done, but the upper bushings are putting up a fight with the press. While the car is down, I've replaced the plug wires, vacuum lines, distributor cap, rotor, points...etc etc.... She fires right up but running a little rich at the moment. A little carb tweaking will happen once the car is off the stands. I'm probably going to pick up a new radiator soon as well. This is a really cool car and you just never see them anywhere. We go to car shows every weekend with our other cars, but this one will be unique and make people scratch their heads. We're looking forward to enjoying this fine piece of machinery even though she's putting up a fight.

Old April 12th, 2022, 05:45 PM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome to the darkside Chris.
I'm building a '63 Dynamic 88 Holiday 2 door myself.
1963 Dynamic 88 2dr hdtp. restoration - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Does anyone at a cruise or show ask you, " What year Impala is that? "

Last edited by Charlie Jones; April 12th, 2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old April 13th, 2022, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Welcome to the darkside Chris.
I'm building a '63 Dynamic 88 Holiday 2 door myself.
1963 Dynamic 88 2dr hdtp. restoration - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Does anyone at a cruise or show ask you, " What year Impala is that? "
Haha.....Everywhere I go. Most just assume it's a 64. "No, the 62 is a sexier car" is usually my response.

I will check out your thread for sure....Tahanks!!
Old April 13th, 2022, 03:15 PM

Hello Octania,

Thanks........Steve
Try rare parts part# 10158,10159 you might have to sale a body part to get them😃🤣
Old May 23rd, 2022, 10:17 PM

This is my 67 Delta Holiday. I bought it a few years ago and its been real good to me so far,except a head gasket job and some minor fixes. I really like these big old coupes.
Old May 25th, 2022, 02:57 PM

Try rare parts in California
they had them for my 62 Starfire

Quick Reply: 61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !