General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2023, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 61Bat
Vistabrat i love your +sized Darksider, what a classy ride.
Was helping answer a question to another poster on the 'Darksider' thread, and saw your compliments made many years ago! I can at least give you a long delayed thank you. Unfortunately the car sits in a friends barn, where we keep our other cars. May 5th, 2018 we were on the highway and the car caught fire, it was traced to a faulty seam on a new fuel pump. By the time we got to the side of the road, the fire was in a bad way, and it was a very windy day, my 2-lb extinguisher was not enough. The fire department was there in a few minutes by a miracle, from the front doors back, not a mark on the paint, save for a small scorch on the roof. But the engine compartment is a mess, and the interior scorched. We have sourced all parts needed (interior, dash, radio, wiring, you name it) to fix the car save for the windshield. I just need to get into the frame of mind to start repairing the car, will I ever? We will see where health etc take me. We have our 1966 Ninety-Eight LS (shown here), but having 2 425 Rocket V8 engines running is more fun then one! Best regards, Howie, PS, your ride looks pretty neat too!

Old August 21st, 2023, 10:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Downtown35121
I have a question. Would a 1965 Star Fire parts work for a 1970 98?
The answer is a definite "it depends"
Old August 22nd, 2023, 10:00 AM

The door cards (drivers door and back passenger)
Steering Wheel
AC Compressor
Front and back bumper
Old August 22nd, 2023, 10:01 AM

I forgot to thank you for replying to my message
Old September 16th, 2023, 12:15 PM

My 1970 98 Convertible

I saved this one from a junkyard in Kansas. The motor was locked up but Marvel’s Mystery Oil fixed that and now she is a runner! I’ve listed the parts that are wanted and as I get these items that are needed, I update the list!

Old September 16th, 2023, 01:40 PM

just bought a 65 88 dynamic new to the site but trying to join the chat site as soon as i figure out how to send pix I will
Old September 16th, 2023, 02:40 PM

how do i join this forum just bought a 65 dynamic 88
Old September 16th, 2023, 05:58 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by stanleyholland
how do i join this forum just bought a 65 dynamic 88
All you have to do is post on this thread.
Which you already did.
Classicoldsmobile will E-Mail you when something new comes on this thread.
Old October 14th, 2023, 08:00 PM

Just introduced myself in the newbie section and phantom phixer said I should join the darkside. Was always a Chevy guy, but am really digging my olds. Here’s my 62 dynamic 88

Old October 15th, 2023, 11:52 AM

Very nice.
Old October 15th, 2023, 07:19 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Concretemike
Just introduced myself in the newbie section and phantom phixer said I should join the darkside. Was always a Chevy guy, but am really digging my olds. Here’s my 62 dynamic 88
Welcome to the "Darkside".
Old October 16th, 2023, 09:48 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Don R.
Very nice.
+1 Very nice car
Old October 22nd, 2023, 12:11 AM

OK, I'm finally joining the Darksiders. Thanks for having me.

A little about my 1966 Ninety Eight: nearly 20 years ago, a local vintage car "museum," called the Tin Lizzy Car Barn, needed some funds and was auctioning off some vehicles they'd had donated. I went in advance and saw this unrestored beauty. Immediately was taken by the colours and the interior, the kind of car I grew up with (although dad had '67 Mercury, not an Olds). I already had my '70 Cutlass convertible, so the hobby wasn't new to me. I figured I'd go to the auction with a max of $1,000 in mind. It had some rust, but it wasn't too bad. The front seat was pretty torn (still is), but the rear still had the cracked and browned factory plastic on it. Underneath was minty. Door panels minty. One straight crack in the dash. Mileage was maybe 120,000 or so, can't quite recall.

Got a little swept up at the auction (you know how it is) and went up to $1,300. Got it. They told me later I out-bid a millionaire who bought a couple other cars that day.

Got the body restored and painted a couple years later, and here we are. Have recently had a 1959 Shasta camper restored and painted to match, so now it's not going anywhere.

Old October 22nd, 2023, 12:57 AM
GCH

Very nice car and camper. i really like your wheels , would be nice to have on my 98.
Is this Buick rims ? and what tire size ? Fits the car perfect
Old October 22nd, 2023, 11:06 AM

Hi, Glenn. Yes, Buick rims. Good eye. When I bought the car, it had some aftermarket, wire-basket-type wheels where the basket part kept falling off. They were already 15-inch, and I wasn't keen on going back to the original 14's. So I picked these up.

The tires are new this year: 235/75r15. Coker Travelstar.

Paul
Old October 22nd, 2023, 10:40 PM
GCH

Thanks for info Paul , yes i remember these wirebasket type wheels . Had a set of these on my Chevelle long time ago.
The Buick wheels looks just right and i should check ads here if there is a set for sale.
Old October 23rd, 2023, 07:13 AM

Love the matching colors on the vintage trailer! I imagine that combo gets a lot of nice compliments.
Old October 23rd, 2023, 07:49 AM
Phantom Phixer

Check this out;
SSI Wheels for Fullsize cars - ClassicOldsmobile.com
Old October 23rd, 2023, 09:02 PM
GCH

Thanks for tip about the wheels Charlie
Old November 8th, 2023, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by davevoss
Love the matching colors on the vintage trailer! I imagine that combo gets a lot of nice compliments.
Yes, Dave, the combo basically sends people over the deep end.

I dug out some old photos of the body work on the Olds, just today. Would anyone find those interesting? And any particular forum I should post them in?

Last edited by pfriesen; November 8th, 2023 at 07:42 PM. Reason: correction
Old November 8th, 2023, 08:14 PM

Bagged 65 88

Bagged my 65. Really falling in love with this car.
Old November 8th, 2023, 08:27 PM
GCH

i,m also falling in love with your car , very nice.
Old November 9th, 2023, 02:42 PM

Low Rider... Looks Good....
Old November 9th, 2023, 05:48 PM

Looks so good. Wheels are 👌🏻. Are you running bias ply or radials?
Old November 9th, 2023, 05:56 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by pfriesen
I dug out some old photos of the body work on the Olds, just today. Would anyone find those interesting? And any particular forum I should post them in?
I've seen photos of your combination when commenting RE: trailer hitch. I love your car & combination. I don't see why you couldn't post additional photos here, but you might also consider posting them to a General Discussion thread. In any case, I'd be interested in seeing them.
Old November 9th, 2023, 06:42 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by vintage chief
i've seen photos of your combination when commenting re: Trailer hitch. I love your car & combination. I don't see why you couldn't post additional photos here, but you might also consider posting them to a general discussion thread. In any case, i'd be interested in seeing them.
x2
Old November 24th, 2023, 09:48 PM

Here's a look at the work done to restore the body of the Olds. Close to 20 years ago now.

Old November 24th, 2023, 10:15 PM

Old November 24th, 2023, 10:29 PM

And a final few:

Old November 26th, 2023, 07:14 PM

And of course, the finished product:

Last edited by pfriesen; November 26th, 2023 at 08:00 PM. Reason: adding a photo
Old November 29th, 2023, 04:52 AM
Art S

Amazing work! I envy your talent.
Old November 29th, 2023, 05:27 AM

Wow - nice job! Gorgeous color.
Old November 29th, 2023, 07:08 AM
Running On Empty

Thanks for sharing. Smart looking car.

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I've seen photos of your combination when commenting RE: trailer hitch. I love your car & combination. I don't see why you couldn't post additional photos here, but you might also consider posting them to a General Discussion thread. In any case, I'd be interested in seeing them.
And of course, the finished product:

Old November 29th, 2023, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Supernice88
Amazing work! I envy your talent.
MY talent? Sorry, that ain't me doing the work. Found the same body man who'd done my '70 Cutlass for my wedding in '95.He'd sold his body shop by this time and was working out of his garage. He rented a professional booth to do the painting, which was really his specialty. Although his body work was damned good, too.

Thanks for the feedback. I love it, too.

Last edited by pfriesen; December 1st, 2023 at 06:18 PM. Reason: adding a photo
Old December 6th, 2023, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
This forum, of course, is dominated by the "A" bodied cars.
I'm starting this thread , and dedicating it to 88's, 98's, Starfires, Jetstars, and Fiesta's.
I borrowed the term " darksider " from a Pontiac forum.
What's a darksider ? Well, It's kinda like most of the hobby is concentrated on the "A" body cars, and the "B"& "C " bodies are on the darkside of the moon.
Life is a little tougher for a "darksider" because there is little support in the production of reproduction parts.
Still, us "darksiders" forge ahead with our restorations with used or NOS parts when we can find them.
I started this thread so that we can identify ourselves to each other, and share as much information as possible.

I would appreciate it if everyone who owns a 61-70 full size car would post a pic of it and tell us a little about it.

I will start it off by showing my 63 Dynamic 88 Holiday 2 door. I bought it 3 years ago out of NM . It's in 10,000 pieces right now. But I'm doing it Johnny Cash style. "One piece at a time".
Old December 6th, 2023, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
This forum, of course, is dominated by the "A" bodied cars.
I'm starting this thread , and dedicating it to 88's, 98's, Starfires, Jetstars, and Fiesta's.
I borrowed the term " darksider " from a Pontiac forum.
What's a darksider ? Well, It's kinda like most of the hobby is concentrated on the "A" body cars, and the "B"& "C " bodies are on the darkside of the moon.
Life is a little tougher for a "darksider" because there is little support in the production of reproduction parts.
Still, us "darksiders" forge ahead with our restorations with used or NOS parts when we can find them.
I started this thread so that we can identify ourselves to each other, and share as much information as possible.

I would appreciate it if everyone who owns a 61-70 full size car would post a pic of it and tell us a little about it.

I will start it off by showing my 63 Dynamic 88 Holiday 2 door. I bought it 3 years ago out of NM . It's in 10,000 pieces right now. But I'm doing it Johnny Cash style. "One piece at a time".

1965 Oldsmobile Starfire, 394 ci, Hydro-matic, no a/c. 31,000+. Very stock. New to me. Want to keep it as stack as possible in appearance but as work is needed I want to upgrade. I’m hoping all of the experience here is willing to keep me on track. I’m from an Olds family with 88s & 98s being the usual family car. I still drove it when I could get a date and I liked them well enough but it was always about a 4 on the cool factor scale. They did have great seats I remember, both front and back.

Panels look as straight as factory ever gets them, glass all good, achrome & trim good, seam rip in drivers seat, and may be more repair or replacement. Headliner down in the very back section but fabric is not frayed.

Engine compartment is clean no leaks and totally stock. I’d like to upgrade systems as they need attention instead of repairing the original, if that’s even possible. These are upgrades I’m considering. EFI - that is best suited for the AO Hydro-matic match? C4? Disc brake - conversion all four corners. For stopping/ not for show. Known fits would be a help. Front suspension upgrade or more likely, good matching swap front suspension. What’s the best make/model for swap? Vintage Air- Any style?

Driver seat needs seam rip repaired, headliner is loose at the back section. Fabric good. carpets good but old.

“Never been broke in”! he said. 😉
Old December 17th, 2023, 07:07 PM

Finally joining the Darksiders thread! It's a pleasure to unite with other '61-'70 Olds owners.

Those of you who saw my post back in October know about this car already, but to everyone else, here's this 1962 Starfire's story:

This car started it's life in Southgate California where it was assembled on the 3rd week of April, 1962, and it was then purchased at the Paola Olds dealership by Kraft Foods as a gift to one of their department managers as a company car. He lived in San Fransisco and owned it until he died in 1985, in which it was then passed down to his daughter. She drove it until engine problems started occurring in 1999. Her husband took it apart and began working on it until he lost interest in it after his wife passed away. He then sold the vehicle in 2010 to the previous owner, who finished the job and got it running again. I bought this car in June this year, and plan on getting it as close as I can to it's original factory condition. I already bought the correct wheel covers, power antenna, and core support extension among other parts, and will continue to add to and care for this historic vehicle with an overall goal to preserve it for generations to come.

More information + specifications:
-It was originally finished in L-code Garnet Mist, (repainted in a color called Flame Red, close to Oldsmobile's Chariot Red) with the C-code Provencal white roof.
-It's factory options include AC, power windows, power driver's seat, power antenna, vacuum trunk release, and Wonder Bar radio, in addition tall the standard equipment.
-It still has it's original 394ci Ultra High Compression V8 (need a new label on the air cleaner cover) with the Rochester 4gc and Roto-Hydramatic "Slim Jim" Transmission.

Old December 18th, 2023, 06:58 AM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome to the "Darkside ".
Air cleaner decals, as well as many other items for this car are available from Fusick Automotive.

www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com
Old December 30th, 2023, 08:20 PM

Jumping in here with my 1964 Dynamic 88 convertible. I picked it up 1200 miles away and dragged it back home pretty much sight unseen. I think I got lucky, in that it's pretty much what I expected. The engine needs going through but it starts, runs and idles well. It just leaks oil badly, squeals from the PSP and it's losing vacuum. Just a sloppy build I think, nothing I can't handle.

Old December 31st, 2023, 10:26 AM
Phantom Phixer

Nice! I see you have a remote control mirror on the front fender.

Quick Reply: 61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !