General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2020, 07:23 PM

I interested in getting a car cover for my Delmont.
Any of you big body Olds using a cover that is big enough to fit our size cars?
Old May 1st, 2020, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Perkolator
I interested in getting a car cover for my Delmont.
Any of you big body Olds using a cover that is big enough to fit our size cars?
Exterior or interior storage? For interior you can get cheap universal covers at Walmart that will work.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 08:30 AM

Outdoor storage in CA - so lots of sun/UV exposure. I used to store my Olds in a metal shed, but during the year my mechanic had it the storage spot got filled and car got booted out. Didn’t have power there anyway, but going to be a few years before I can afford to build a shop at my place for my cars
Mainly I just don’t want to buy a piece of crap cover that doesn’t even fit this boat because cars aren’t this long anymore or is going to fall apart after a year or two.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 06:01 PM

Ok so I'm rebuilding the carb and the kit came with a spacer to go between the throttle body and the fuel bowl. I tried straightening the rods to allow for this and one broke. Is it worth having the spacer? Only reason I was going to put it in is she liked to cut out while accelerating from a stop when the temperature was above 70 and hoped it would help. If it's useless I'll not use it.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 08:37 PM

Aragorn, as I remember from an earlier post you have a 330 w/ a 2 bbl carb. Correct?. I am not familiar with the spacer you describe. When I rebuilt the 2 bbl in my '67 Delta (425ci) I don't recall a spacer present in that location when I tore it down nor was there a spacer in the rebuild kit I used. I am not the original owner but the carb still had the part number plate attached and was correct to the engine and model year so I believe it was original and had never been opened up. Does your CSM mention this spacer? Lots of carb kits for vehicles as old as ours are quasi-universal/generic to cover multiple model years economically. Sometimes they include "extra" parts that don't apply in all situations. Breaking parts to make other parts fit does not sound right under any circumstances. However, I am far from a carb expert and there are others here at CO that have forgotten more than I will ever know. Perhaps they can shed some more informed light on the subject.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by 67 D88Custom
Aragorn, as I remember from an earlier post you have a 330 w/ a 2 bbl carb. Correct?. I am not familiar with the spacer you describe. When I rebuilt the 2 bbl in my '67 Delta (425ci) I don't recall a spacer present in that location when I tore it down nor was there a spacer in the rebuild kit I used. I am not the original owner but the carb still had the part number plate attached and was correct to the engine and model year so I believe it was original and had never been opened up. Does your CSM mention this spacer? Lots of carb kits for vehicles as old as ours are quasi-universal/generic to cover multiple model years economically. Sometimes they include "extra" parts that don't apply in all situations. Breaking parts to make other parts fit does not sound right under any circumstances. However, I am far from a carb expert and there are others here at CO that have forgotten more than I will ever know. Perhaps they can shed some more informed light on the subject.
Correct engine, I've looked around and some suggest putting in the spacer/insulator as a heat shield for the carburetor in a lot of forums. This kit had it so figured it might help especially when it's hotter during the summer. It's not a part in the CSM. In most cases that I've read about the spacer would be between the manifold and the throttle body but with this kit (Hygrade 385C for the curious) it goes between the throttle body and the fuel bowl and supposedly reduces percolation of the gas when hot.
https://www.edelblog.com/tech-tips/resolving-heat-soak

Last edited by Aragorn; May 3rd, 2020 at 01:23 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 09:51 AM

That is the kit I used on my '67 but I don't remember a separate fuel bowl to throttle body spacer in mine (been a while). If there was, I did not use it. I have never used, but have seen others use, a spacer between the carb and the manifold for heat soak issues ( https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-85-032 ). I would think a spacer between the throttle body and the fuel bowl on any carb would be a bad idea as it would change the geometry of the linkages and internals. If you use a spacer between the manifold and the carb it raises the whole carb rather than change the relationship between various parts/sections of the carb itself. A spacer of moderate height (1/2 inch or less) should give plenty of insulation without causing hood clearance problems or exceed what adjustments you can make to your existing accelerator pedal/throttle linkage. However, as I said, I am far from an expert on this. Since this is more general in nature than specific to our cars here on the Darksiders thread, you may want to post this in the engines section to get more views and suggestions.

Good luck, Dave
Old May 21st, 2020, 02:09 PM

My son is turning 16 and wanted a car, so we have continued the dark side tradition with a new family truckster for him to drive. A 1990 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, all stock except for some weird wheels and tires the previous owner put on. It currently has 245 tires up front and 275 rear but we have the original wheels from the last owner and are replacing them with stock 225/75-15's and wire wheel covers. My son likes the original style plus the tires made it drive crappy and get dismal fuel mileage. In fact the rear ones were rubbing the frame on big ruts! It has a few minor things, needs a new headliner, power antenna quit, and the lock rod on the driver's side rear door came loose and I can't get it open, but all in all it is in great shape. If anyone knows how to get that door open your guidance would be greatly appreciated. Anyone know where to find the rear bumper fillers? I can find tons of front ones or rears for the sedans but not wagons. It runs smooth and once the tires are corrected hopefully it will get the 23 MPG I remember my Dad's '82 getting when it was new. Anyway, it will be right at home next to my 1991 Custom Cruiser and 1970 Olds 98 Luxury Sedan Hardtop.

1990 Olds CC

1990 Olds CC

1990 Olds CC

1990 Olds CC

1990 Olds CC

1990 Olds CC

1990 Olds CC

1990 Olds CC
Old May 21st, 2020, 02:20 PM
Forward into the Past

Originally Posted by smparr
My son is turning 16 and wanted a car, so we have continued the dark side tradition with a new family truckster for him to drive. A 1990 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, all stock except for some weird wheels and tires the previous owner put on. It currently has 245 tires up front and 275 rear but we have the original wheels from the last owner and are replacing them with stock 225/75-15's and wire wheel covers. My son likes the original style plus the tires made it drive crappy and get dismal fuel mileage. In fact the rear ones were rubbing the frame on big ruts! It has a few minor things, needs a new headliner, power antenna quit, and the lock rod on the driver's side rear door came loose and I can't get it open, but all in all it is in great shape. If anyone knows how to get that door open your guidance would be greatly appreciated. Anyone know where to find the rear bumper fillers? I can find tons of front ones or rears for the sedans but not wagons. It runs smooth and once the tires are corrected hopefully it will get the 23 MPG I remember my Dad's '82 getting when it was new. Anyway, it will be right at home next to my 1991 Custom Cruiser and 1970 Olds 98 Luxury Sedan Hardtop.

1990 Olds CC

1990 Olds CC

1990 Olds CC

1990 Olds CC

1990 Olds CC

1990 Olds CC

1990 Olds CC

1990 Olds CC
Nice, clean wagon. Sure doesn't look like it's almost 30 years old. We had several of them back in the day. I got my diver's license in a yellow '78 model.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:06 PM

Thanks Human! Yellow? I can't picture a car this big in yellow. Did it have woodgrain?
Old May 31st, 2020, 01:04 PM

Turns out 1990 has CC leaks in the back glass, I can't catch a break with my old cars and water leaks!
Old May 31st, 2020, 01:19 PM
Forward into the Past

Originally Posted by smparr
Thanks Human! Yellow? I can't picture a car this big in yellow. Did it have woodgrain?
Yes, it had woodgrain. I'm sure the color had an official name but I don't know what it is. As yellows go, it was much closer to custard than mustard and it had a saddle tan vinyl interior. There were a lot of Oldsmobiles painted that color in the late '70s and early-mid '80s.
Old May 31st, 2020, 03:43 PM

Human it must be a trip in itself getting out of that CC and dropping into that Miata. I'm surprised your youngun doesn't want the Miata. Few grand children are made in a Miata you know, not so much in a CC.....Tedd
Old May 31st, 2020, 04:18 PM
Forward into the Past

SMParr just acquired the '90 Custom Cruiser. Lookin back at this thread, I somehow managed to re-post his photos when I replied to his message. I don't have children and I don't have a Miata. The car pictured in my signature is a '95 Cutlass Supreme convertible. I also don't own a Custom Cruiser wagon. My family always kept an Oldsmobile wagon as a spare car when I was growing up.
Old June 1st, 2020, 08:39 AM

Hi all, newbie to the forum and getting started on my 64 Starfire project. Right now dealing with microholes in the radiator, but here she is. Plan is to fix enough to drive several days a week, upgrading the interior and the exterior being the continual ongoing project. I asked in another forum about compatible interior door panels and back seat panels with other GM products of the age... to me it looked like 64 Impala hardtop coupes may work. Any information there?

Thanks!

Old June 1st, 2020, 09:12 AM
Forward into the Past

That's a nice looking Starfire. Parts for full size Oldsmobiles of that era are hard as hens' teeth to find and while Chevy parts are more plentiful and some are even reproduced, they often don't fit quite right. The various divisions may have used common platforms, but they often exercised a lot of latitude in their final designs. You could well run into issues with things like trim pieces, handles and screw holes being in slightly different spots. The rarity of Oldsmobile parts is nothing new. My dad acquired a '64 Dynamic 88 convertible back in the late '70s and even 40 years ago, parts were hard to come by. I remember him being pretty excited to find a pair of tan interior door panels in good shape to replace the dark green originals that were water damaged, despite the fact that the vinyl needed to be dyed or replaced to match. Of course, he was such an absolute purist that the idea of slapping Impala door panels on the car would have been anathema to him, even if they happened to fit up perfectly. That said, a good upholstery and trim shop could likely either refurbish your existing panels or perhaps use the them as templates to create replacements, finishing them off by scavenging otherwise unavailable trim pieces from the originals.

Last edited by Human; June 1st, 2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old June 1st, 2020, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Human
That's a nice looking Starfire. Parts for full size Oldsmobiles of that era are hard as hens' teeth to find and while Chevy parts are more plentiful and some are even reproduced, they often don't fit quite right. The various divisions may have used common platforms, but they often exercised a lot of latitude in their final designs. You could well run into issues with things like trim pieces, handles and screw holes being in slightly different spots. The rarity of Oldsmobile parts is nothing new. My dad acquired a '64 Dynamic 88 convertible back in the late '70s and even 40 years ago, parts were hard to come by. I remember him being pretty excited to find a pair of tan interior door panels in good shape to replace the dark green originals that were water damaged, despite the fact that the vinyl needed to be dyed or replaced to match. Of course, he was such an absolute purist that the idea of slapping Impala door panels on the car would have been anathema to him, even if they happened to fit up perfectly. That said, a good upholstery and trim shop could likely either refurbish your existing panels or perhaps use the them as templates to create replacements, finishing them off by scavenging otherwise unavailable trim pieces from the originals.
Thanks Human, yes definitely hard to come across original parts. This Starfire is bone stock, but I'm looking to make a comfortable cruiser and originality isn't key for me (sacrilege to some, I know!). I'm not afraid to drill/screw/glue what have you if new holes are needed to attache door panels, but would like to take the black interior to either two-tone cream/black or full on cream.
Old June 1st, 2020, 06:07 PM
Phantom Phixer

SMS Fabrics advertises that they make original door panels for Starfires .
Contact them at ;
https://smsautofabrics.com/
Old June 1st, 2020, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
SMS Fabrics advertises that they make original door panels for Starfires .
Contact them at ;
https://smsautofabrics.com/
thanks all!
Are parts from the Jetstar compatible?
Old June 28th, 2020, 06:35 AM

Are 4 doors even more "dark siders"?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and love a good 4 door! I picked up this all original 64 jetstar with only 40,000 miles last fall. One of the other guys there wanted to buy it for parts for his 2 door! 4 doors are the real dark siders!

Old June 28th, 2020, 06:44 AM

i have used 4 doors for parts cars to build a 2 door but a 4 door that nice should NOT be used for that purpose.that's beautiful
Old June 28th, 2020, 06:47 AM
Forward into the Past

Great save! That one is way too nice to part out.
Old June 29th, 2020, 05:54 PM

Nothing wrong with saving a sedan, that one is in great shape! Easier to bring your friends with you when out for a cruise!
Old June 30th, 2020, 05:48 PM

I once bought a 66 cutlass moredoor for "parts" $200. Being a hardtop and a good runner, I couldn't do it. Sold it to a friend who ran it for a year then sold it to another friend. He painted it, put a new vinyl top on. He put several thousand miles on it before selling it. Everyone who rode in it loved it, 4 doors and all!
Old August 29th, 2020, 01:59 AM

Hey im new here so bare with me. So my baby here was first car ever and I found out very fast that she was a bit much for a first car let alone for me as a teen so I've had my father help me out by holding onto her for the past 13 years and hes taken the liberty to invest his time and money to bring her back to life. Now it is my turn to take care of her and show her the TLC she deserves. What I have is a 1964 oldmobile 2 door hardtop holiday dynamic 88 w/ the 394 rocket v8 and the three speed "Roto" hydra-matic automatic transmission and I do have the hubcaps I just hadn't put them on yet

Last edited by Payan'64; August 29th, 2020 at 02:53 AM.
Old August 29th, 2020, 10:55 AM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome to the " Darkside " . Looks like a very well cared for car . Enjoy !
Old August 30th, 2020, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Payan'64
Hey im new here so bare with me. So my baby here was first car ever and I found out very fast that she was a bit much for a first car let alone for me as a teen so I've had my father help me out by holding onto her for the past 13 years and hes taken the liberty to invest his time and money to bring her back to life. Now it is my turn to take care of her and show her the TLC she deserves. What I have is a 1964 oldmobile 2 door hardtop holiday dynamic 88 w/ the 394 rocket v8 and the three speed "Roto" hydra-matic automatic transmission and I do have the hubcaps I just hadn't put them on yet
Beautiful! Congrats and enjoy her well. Looks good though with the paint and black wheels.
Old September 14th, 2020, 06:30 PM
golden rocket

That is one sharp looking Dynamic 88 hardtop. Sure is a sharp looning color scheme. Silver w/ blue top (?) Thoughts and prayers to the folks on west coast in the wild fire areas. Stay Strong
Old September 21st, 2020, 11:48 AM
"Let 'er Buck!"

Guess I qualify for the dark side. Here are some photos:

1970 Olds 98 daily driver Original vinyl top with new paint and new wheels/rubber Numerous new parts, rebuilt engine and transmission and infinite amount of labor hours

Side view after new engine and transmission transplant. Custom music system plays AM/FM radio, CD, Sirius Satellite, MP3, Blue Tooth, Flash Stick, and 8 Track Tapes

Front view after fresh paint, Comfortron provides heating and air conditioning with rotary temperature dial and single lever

Back trunk view with special underneath rear air spoiler and dual exhaust

New engine transplanted into the Blue Chariot Installed Holley Sniper EFI 4150 and Holley Dual Synch distributor with dual exhaust

1970 Olds 98 with lots of new parts Used as daily driver Custom music system plays AM/FM radio, CD, Sirius Satellite, MP3, Blue Tooth, Flash Stick, and 8 Track Tapes

Side view of new engine Balanced with mild cam, Edelbrock Performer intake and other new parts Rebuilt TH400 transmission with shift kit gets horses to ground
Old September 22nd, 2020, 08:37 PM

Some people’s kids

Not the favored style but..I’ve been working on my 65 Dynamic. Started out adding HEI and then got tired of the 2 barrel and decided to upgrade to a 4 barrel. Next up I bought a new passenger manifold so I can run duals..it’s never ending and fantastic.

im currently dialing in carb and advance, so far with the new intake and carb she purrs so much better! Can’t wait for exhaust.

Stock manifold and carb

Little upgrade

3” lower..but can hardly tell.

Old September 22nd, 2020, 09:46 PM

Cool 65. I like the lowering. Not many can tell but it looks good on your car.

Suggest you look into a dual master cylinder in place of the factory single, just in case a line fails. The next level after that is front disc / rear drums.

Looks like you’re doing great. Have fun!

cf
Old September 23rd, 2020, 11:27 AM

This is my 63 Starfire A/C car. Just got it in not to long ago. Going to start going over everything don't know how long I'll keep her. My wife really would like a 65 Starfire A/C convertible. Downsized into smaller home and do not have enough room for 5 cars anymore.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.MOV (3.85 MB, 8 views)
Old September 23rd, 2020, 11:35 AM

Nice. I know it's not the 65, but still a beautiful car.
Old September 23rd, 2020, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
This is my 63 Starfire A/C car. Just got it in not to long ago. Going to start going over everything don't know how long I'll keep her. My wife really would like a 65 Starfire A/C convertible. Downsized into smaller home and do not have enough room for 5 cars anymore.

Rob, that is a good looking and sounding 63. I had mine for 9 years, let me know if you need any help.
Old September 24th, 2020, 05:25 AM

Hey Don, I probably will. Making a list of things most of it all small but I like to have everything right as I possible can. I may be able to restore the leather back seat but the front seats are split, leather is to costly to replace with over vinyl I believe. Do you know where I can get a under the hood vacuum line diagram? I have the shop manual may have over looked it there but have a few vacuum lines missing, 1 small one goes from the PVC canister to somewhere behind the carb and you can see in the picture above 1 of the vacuum can diaphragms on the heater box is plugged on the end, most likely that line goes into and under the dash? The paint on this car is a 10 footer, the bright work and chrome is in amazing condition, besides the seats and a "hooky" looking headliner replacement the door panels, trim, carpet with the sewn in floor mats are all in great shape, console, tach included but a little loose as with the shifter. Getting a little blow-bye out the tail pipes, fresh oil and filter may take care of it as well as driving the car. Ill run a compression check soon. Not used to driving a whale of a car, and the 64 F-85 is not a comparison with a complete modern tubular suspension-drives and handles like a slot car.
Old September 24th, 2020, 05:28 AM

69oldZman- car is in really great condition for it's age. Being pampered and kept out of the weather all these years. I will slowly put my hands on it and make it a better car... Thanks.
Old September 24th, 2020, 07:59 AM
Phantom Phixer

Hey Don, I probably will. Making a list of things most of it all small but I like to have everything right as I possible can. I may be able to restore the leather back seat but the front seats are split, leather is to costly to replace with over vinyl I believe. Do you know where I can get a under the hood vacuum line diagram? I have the shop manual may have over looked it there but have a few vacuum lines missing, 1 small one goes from the PVC canister to somewhere behind the carb and you can see in the picture above 1 of the vacuum can diaphragms on the heater box is plugged on the end, most likely that line goes into and under the dash? The paint on this car is a 10 footer, the bright work and chrome is in amazing condition, besides the seats and a "hooky" looking headliner replacement the door panels, trim, carpet with the sewn in floor mats are all in great shape, console, tach included but a little loose as with the shifter. Getting a little blow-bye out the tail pipes, fresh oil and filter may take care of it as well as driving the car. Ill run a compression check soon. Not used to driving a whale of a car, and the 64 F-85 is not a comparison with a complete modern tubular suspension-drives and handles like a slot car.
Welcome to the "darkside " Robski ,

I can help you with a couple of your questions .
Before deciding to upholster the front seat in vinyl , I would suggest talking to an upholsterer and get a price for both vinyl and leather .
You will find the cost of an upholstery job about 2/3 to 3/4 is labor .

The vacuum line from the PCV valve goes to the nipple at the base of the front of the carb .
The nipple at the back of the carb connects to the distributor .

Here's a vacuum diagram for the heat and A/C system .
The original hoses were color coded , but after 57 years ?
Check your vacuum canisters for leakage . Replacements can be found on E-Bay .

Make sure to get your free 1963 Oldsmobile parts catalog ( download ) here ;
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...dition-131501/

Last edited by Charlie Jones; September 24th, 2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old September 24th, 2020, 09:27 AM

Thanks, I saved the picture of the vacuum lines started a 63 File..Hmm cannot open the links on the free parts catalogs. Will try later. as far as the seats I would REALLY like to stay with leather. I have looking a some leather seat restoration videos on you tube mostly European with products available. Maybe I should be if I can save the back seat first and if so move forward and see if they can get close in color to match the front seats in leather. Starfire's are very unique cars back in the day. I need a pair of sun visors and the 2 screws ( one each side) that apply the tension to the visor adjustment. Headliner too it's UGLY but the stainless strips that go across are in excellent shape. Looking at Fusick need some extra key blanks and vertical rear qtr. weather strips-so far..
Old September 24th, 2020, 04:38 PM
Phantom Phixer

.Hmm cannot open the links on the free parts catalogs .
Here are the direct links to the Google Drive locations .
Chassis ;
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...n%3E%3C%2Fb%3E

Body ;
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...n%3E%3C%2Fb%3E
Old September 24th, 2020, 04:59 PM

Thanks a bunch Charlie downloaded onto my desk top just fine.

Quick Reply: 61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !