General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2020, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by therobski
Hey Don, I probably will. Making a list of things most of it all small but I like to have everything right as I possible can. I may be able to restore the leather back seat but the front seats are split, leather is to costly to replace with over vinyl I believe. Do you know where I can get a under the hood vacuum line diagram? I have the shop manual may have over looked it there but have a few vacuum lines missing, 1 small one goes from the PVC canister to somewhere behind the carb and you can see in the picture above 1 of the vacuum can diaphragms on the heater box is plugged on the end, most likely that line goes into and under the dash? The paint on this car is a 10 footer, the bright work and chrome is in amazing condition, besides the seats and a "hooky" looking headliner replacement the door panels, trim, carpet with the sewn in floor mats are all in great shape, console, tach included but a little loose as with the shifter. Getting a little blow-bye out the tail pipes, fresh oil and filter may take care of it as well as driving the car. Ill run a compression check soon. Not used to driving a whale of a car, and the 64 F-85 is not a comparison with a complete modern tubular suspension-drives and handles like a slot car.
All of my seats were redone in vinyl by the PO, looked good but not as nice as leather if you can get it done. On these cars vacuum may be the biggest problem they can have. Charlie's diagram is a good one but there is more to it, my car had two plastic tanks on the firewall plus there is a large holding tank under the drivers fender for the brake booster. My advice before you even start is to hook up a vacuum gauge to the engine and check, if it reads less than 18 you have leaks. Disconnect and plug the feed line from the carb, if the reading goes up you have problems in the heater / ac / trunk release area. Do the same with the brake booster line to check that system. I had massive problems with everything including the trunk release and an internal booster leak that affected engine and brake performance, it took quite a while to get it all fixed.

Old September 25th, 2020, 09:55 AM

I copied and made a file for everything mentioned including the pictures thanks a bunch...
Old September 25th, 2020, 10:20 AM

It's been a while, but all the talk of 63's brings me out of the woodwork and I would also like to apply.

1963 olds 98 HT. Had it for better part of a decade now. Starting to get some love again.

Put a used gently used 394 with #23 heads in there as my COVID-19 project (decided to keep it Olds) and have been terrorizing gas stations since. Minor services done while I was in there: gaskets, lapped valves, etc. Runs well, sounds good, doesn't leak but is still attached to a Slim Jim. It's about 80% dialed in for the 4GC but it is not my strong suit. Scarebird disk brake conversion with new hubs and full front end kit. Interior is still ratty, smells like Gma's house and I sit literally inside the seat springs. The exterior is still rolled on house paint by the PO but mostly straight and entirely rust free. It has been enlisted as a daily driver for a month or two at a time over the years, just without heat or AC.

PS: Thanks for the Google Drive links!

Old September 25th, 2020, 11:56 AM

Did you install the engine and tranny in 1 piece? Up until lately I have always worked or built early A-body's Now with the 63 Starfire on board whole new ball game.
Old September 25th, 2020, 12:07 PM

After scouring the internet for pros and cons, I separated them. It was just a handful of bolts and the 394 was big enough.

Last edited by Buckner; September 25th, 2020 at 12:08 PM. Reason: word
Old September 27th, 2020, 01:10 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1970 98
Guess I qualify for the dark side. Here are some photos:

1970 Olds 98 daily driver Original vinyl top with new paint and new wheels/rubber Numerous new parts, rebuilt engine and transmission and infinite amount of labor hours

Side view after new engine and transmission transplant. Custom music system plays AM/FM radio, CD, Sirius Satellite, MP3, Blue Tooth, Flash Stick, and 8 Track Tapes

Front view after fresh paint, Comfortron provides heating and air conditioning with rotary temperature dial and single lever

Back trunk view with special underneath rear air spoiler and dual exhaust

New engine transplanted into the Blue Chariot Installed Holley Sniper EFI 4150 and Holley Dual Synch distributor with dual exhaust

1970 Olds 98 with lots of new parts Used as daily driver Custom music system plays AM/FM radio, CD, Sirius Satellite, MP3, Blue Tooth, Flash Stick, and 8 Track Tapes

Side view of new engine Balanced with mild cam, Edelbrock Performer intake and other new parts Rebuilt TH400 transmission with shift kit gets horses to ground
Nice 98 i like that blue color.
Old September 27th, 2020, 01:28 AM
"Let 'er Buck!"

The original color was Astro Blue. This was the closest match and is actually an off the shelf truck paint. IMHO, it works and was relatively cheap (i.e.,$2000) for the paint job.
Old September 27th, 2020, 02:35 PM
Shoveling Snow

Just in case someone was looking for one of these I have reprints of the Product Information Manuals for 67,68, and 1970 B/C.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...dy-pim-147932/
Old September 28th, 2020, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by 1970 98
The original color was Astro Blue. This was the closest match and is actually an off the shelf truck paint. IMHO, it works and was relatively cheap (i.e.,$2000) for the paint job.
Nice , more money for performance parts.
Old September 28th, 2020, 07:32 AM
"Let 'er Buck!"

Originally Posted by eric66
Nice , more money for performance parts.
Amen to more performance parts!
Old October 5th, 2020, 08:59 AM

Update on the 63 Starfire: along with car came a bunch of receipts and registrations. I went through them and some over 30 years old. The previous owner bought the car about 3 years ago, stored it drove it very few miles. The were only 2 other owners that I can document. So it appears this Starfire is an original 35K mile car!. Little bit of bubbling behind the rear quarters and that's it on the body, trunk for rust. The only electrical gremlins that need attention is the clock-keeps blowing a fuse, radio, power antenna-it's out and on my work bench, and the drivers power seat has trouble tracking back and forth-maybe remove it today. All the other operates just fine including the dash and console lights! Got under the car over the weekend, tightened the tranny pan bolts a bit-little leak, receipts shows tranny parts from Fatsco and some repairs work done 10 years ago with 33K miles. From underneath, the tranny has very little grime on it. looks almost new. Changed oil and filter-oil was last changed in 2012 according to the receipt. Replaced the points, plugs, air filter, rotor and cap. Factory AC system works and vacuum vents check out, needs Freon ( hopefully that's it) .Ordered a front motor mount today. If anybody has any experience working with these power antennas, please let me know. So just pecking away at it.
Old October 5th, 2020, 11:24 AM

1970 98, I have a '70 Luxury Sedan HT in the same paint scheme but all stock original. Was your engine black when you got? Mine is blue.

My Current Oldsmobile 98
Old October 7th, 2020, 05:04 PM
"Let 'er Buck!"

Smparr,

Very nice ride! My original engine was blue. Got a wild hair and decided to paint my transplanted engine black. Must have been one of those days.
Also, I have a couple of 15" original hubcaps available if you would like some spare Oldsmobile hubcaps.
Old October 7th, 2020, 06:25 PM

Cool! My son's all stock Custom Cruiser's 307 came in black. I still have the original caps but I replaced them with some '78 wire caps because I like the way they look.
New Wheel Covers on my 1970 Olds 98
Old October 8th, 2020, 06:27 AM
"Let 'er Buck!"

Those wire caps look great! Now I know what my car would look like with the wire caps.
Old October 11th, 2020, 01:09 PM

Hello everyone. Charlie referred me to the darkside. Just bought my '64 ninety-eight yesterday at a local auction. Needs some TLC and I'm going to pick a lot of brains. Have to start with the electrical gremlins. No taillights, turn signals and half the headlights are out to start with. Always wanted a boat cruiser. My wife is not very impressed, lol.

Old October 12th, 2020, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by drjaredshelton
Hello everyone. Charlie referred me to the darkside. Just bought my '64 ninety-eight yesterday at a local auction. Needs some TLC and I'm going to pick a lot of brains. Have to start with the electrical gremlins. No taillights, turn signals and half the headlights are out to start with. Always wanted a boat cruiser. My wife is not very impressed, lol.

Great looking car. I always loved the 64 98's almost as much as the Starfires.
Old October 16th, 2020, 05:54 PM

I've been poking around this forum a bit and just found this thread! This is my 63 Dynamic 88. I just got it a month ago, and have been working my butt off trying to get it back to life. In the last 4 weekends, I've rebuilt the 2gc carb with new float and accelerator pump and done a basic tune-up. I replaced the toasted vacuum booster and single master cylinder with a 7" dual diaphragm booster and late 60s corvette/ camaro style dual master cylinder, rebuilt all four wheel cylinders, and replaced every inch of brakeline and all the hoses. I've got a bit of a smoking problem, so I'll be doing valve seals next week. Once I get the motor all sorted, I plan to rebuild the front suspension, and then start on metal work. Shooting for a mild 60's kustom, but that's gonna be a ways off.
Cheers!!
-geoff

Old October 16th, 2020, 06:12 PM
Forward into the Past

Originally Posted by Bigbassape
I've been poking around this forum a bit and just found this thread! This is my 63 Dynamic 88. I just got it a month ago, and have been working my butt off trying to get it back to life. In the last 4 weekends, I've rebuilt the 2gc carb with new float and accelerator pump and done a basic tune-up. I replaced the toasted vacuum booster and single master cylinder with a 7" dual diaphragm booster and late 60s corvette/ camaro style dual master cylinder, rebuilt all four wheel cylinders, and replaced every inch of brakeline and all the hoses. I've got a bit of a smoking problem, so I'll be doing valve seals next week. Once I get the motor all sorted, I plan to rebuild the front suspension, and then start on metal work. Shooting for a mild 60's kustom, but that's gonna be a ways off.
Cheers!!
-geoff

Nice ride! My grandmother had one like that, light blue with a light blue interior. I think it was a Holiday 88 hardtop instead of a Dynamic 88 post sedan. Brings back memories. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old October 16th, 2020, 09:24 PM

Adding myself to the thread. Just starting restoration on my 1965 Delta 88 Holiday. Gonna be a long and fun road. Gonna do a couple of weird things to her like EFI, disc brake conversion and possibly a turbo.

Old October 27th, 2020, 08:03 PM

67 98 ls

My next project.
just picked it up out of the local impound yard.
very clean car. I've on found rust in the rear bumper.
i have a complete 70 98 ls for parts. That I've been sitting on for years.
just thought i would show everyone that their coming back.

Old October 27th, 2020, 10:19 PM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome to the " Darkside " .
That 98 looks pretty solid , should make a nice car when you're done .
Have fun !
Old December 5th, 2020, 11:21 AM

Just rebuilt/restored the PS system, recently replaced plugs, wires, points, air cleaner, belts, oil @ filter, had the carpet steam cleaned, replaced vertical weather strips on quarter windows, rebuilt/restored rear mounted power antenna- WORKED FOR WHILE quit again. There's power to the motor but antenna does not move-line may have broke or come out?? Going to get a cost factor on reupholstering the front leather seats, replace the headliner and sun visors with factory type material. All in all great 36K mile car to work with BUT may sell the car after the Holidays in 2021....

Old December 5th, 2020, 11:22 AM

Just rebuilt/restored the PS system, recently replaced plugs, wires, points, air cleaner, belts, oil @ filter, had the carpet steam cleaned, replaced vertical weather strips on quarter windows, rebuilt/restored rear mounted power antenna- WORKED FOR WHILE quit again. There's power to the motor but antenna does not move-line may have broke or come out?? Going to get a cost factor on reupholstering the front leather seats, replace the headliner and sun visors with factory type material. All in all great 36K mile car to work with BUT may sell the car after the Holidays in 2021....

Old December 19th, 2020, 11:27 PM

Alright Charlie, I'm here. What have you gotten me into? Just bought a 64 Jetstar 1. Haven't even gotten it home. I will post better pics when I get it here tomorrow.
Old December 29th, 2020, 08:27 AM

My 1970 Oldsmobile 98 LS hardtop last October.

1996 Fleetwood web design wheels. Think I’m painting the Cadillac centers out body color. This was close enough for test pics.

Will mount 1977 cutlass emblems in the center of the caps when done. Have new heater core, water pump, rally gauges from a 84 98 to cut and replace the ashtray and lighter, the gold C and D keys (lock cylinders to come) and remote keyless entry from a Buick Roadmaster with Oldsmobile remotes to wire into her. Oh and power lock kit too. Cornering lights in new fenders also. Stocking up parts for now.

28 foot enclosed car trailer for her too.

Last edited by Wd0502; December 29th, 2020 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old December 29th, 2020, 11:25 AM

Nice wheels. We forget about Buick and Cadillac wheels for the 5 by 5 cars, they had a number of nice alloy designs wider than the earlier stock wheels and fit should be perfect.
Old December 29th, 2020, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wd0502

My 1970 Oldsmobile 98 LS hardtop last October.

1996 Fleetwood web design wheels. Think I’m painting the Cadillac centers out body color. This was close enough for test pics.

Will mount 1977 cutlass emblems in the center of the caps when done. Have new heater core, water pump, rally gauges from a 84 98 to cut and replace the ashtray and lighter, the gold C and D keys (lock cylinders to come) and remote keyless entry from a Buick Roadmaster with Oldsmobile remotes to wire into her. Oh and power lock kit too. Cornering lights in new fenders also. Stocking up parts for now.

28 foot enclosed car trailer for her too.
Nice work .
Old March 12th, 2021, 10:15 AM

starting to work on 1966 Delta 88 convertible my wife's family has had for 40 years. Paint is nice but needs lots of TLC to get running again.

Old March 12th, 2021, 10:19 AM
Forward into the Past

Beautiful car. I love the color and those wire wheel covers. Keep us updated as the project moves along and ENJOY THE CAR!
Old April 3rd, 2021, 12:22 AM

Anyone have any knowledge on the rear control arms on a 64 jetstar 1? Specifically if there is any interchangeable options for tubular/adjustable ones? I may just clean mine up and box them or use them for mock up of some custom ones. Just thought I'd make sure there wasn't a simpler approach
Old April 5th, 2021, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by jjsd1
starting to work on 1966 Delta 88 convertible my wife's family has had for 40 years. Paint is nice but needs lots of TLC to get running again.
The lines on these 65-67s just get me every time...
Old April 15th, 2021, 05:21 PM

!962 - 88

My 1962 Oldschool 88 My Baby
Old April 15th, 2021, 11:10 PM

Nice
Old May 21st, 2021, 07:12 AM

Newest member of the family

Just picked this up Wednesday...63 Starfire convertible. More photos later.

Old May 21st, 2021, 09:08 AM

Beautiful car.
Old June 9th, 2021, 04:23 AM

Co_67_88's 67 sedan

Old June 9th, 2021, 05:56 AM

Now that is a gorgeous 4-door. Thanks for sharing.
Old June 9th, 2021, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by CO_67_88
Very nice, is it a Delmont? My father-in law had one many years ago with a 425 - it was a burnout king!
Old June 9th, 2021, 10:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Don R.
Very nice, is it a Delmont?
That side trim is Delta Custom, top of the line. Note the Strato Bench seat in the photo, which was only available on the Delta Custom.

Quick Reply: 61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !