General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2019, 06:18 PM

I've decided it is time to sell my 64' Fiesta wagon, I have a for sale ad posted on the forums if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Nitroracer; October 14th, 2019 at 06:18 PM. Reason: link
Old November 4th, 2019, 03:02 PM
golden rocket

was googeling Oldsmobile and came across this ad. GM Parts Obsolete. had been needing a fuel tank sending unit for my 67 Delmont 88. the one I got from Juassic was for a 71 Buick, and took 8 gallons to move needle off empty. If I had come across this last year, would have went with it. https://www.gmobsolete.com/product-details.php?id=503. List all it will fit, doesn't have the cannister like the factory original, though. hope this helps some of you out, with fuel gauge problems. mine didn't work due to sending unit being worn out.
Old November 4th, 2019, 03:25 PM

Wow. $200+. Someone is putting their kids through college.

When I needed a replacement sending unit for my '67 Delta, which would use the same unit as your car, I went with this from Spectra Premium. It looks to be the same unit as your link shows at GM Obsolete. But rockauto charges only $49 plus shipping for it. If you're an Amazon prime member, you can get it there for $54 with free shipping. As you found with yours, this unit is not shown as fitting a '67 Olds but rather later full-sizes, like a '72 Delta or Buick Lesabre. But it does drop right in.

Autozone and O'Reilly sell it for $77 while NAPA sells it for $92. It definitely pays to shop around.

It's not baffled, as you say, so my fuel gauge needle moves around a bit, but it's a lot better than no fuel gauge at all.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that there are not dozens of manufacturers of these things. In fact, every vendor I've come across selling a sending unit for a '72 Delta 88, whether it's mail order or through a local auto parts store, is selling this Spectra Premium unit. But prices can vary widely depending on who is selling it.

I'm not terribly impressed with the photo of it at the GM Obsolete site.

Old November 14th, 2019, 04:55 AM

I want to ask a favor of you , would you measure the windshield wiper arms on your 88 as I need to go to junk yard to get some for mine.
jerbear2 Thank you
Old November 14th, 2019, 11:31 AM
TMQ

Mine is 17 inches...
Old November 15th, 2019, 04:21 PM

Does a '70 "Tornado" qualify?
Old November 15th, 2019, 05:51 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by JonnyO
Does a '70 "Tornado" qualify?
Technically , yes , since it is a '61 to '70 " Big car"
Old November 16th, 2019, 09:17 AM

Technically?
Then the answer was/is no.
I was unclear if mine was part of the group.
TY!
Old November 16th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Phantom Phixer

Why would you say no ?
A '70 Toronado is a '61 to '70 Big Car . (not a Cutlass / F-85 )
Old November 17th, 2019, 02:44 PM

Well, truth be told, I'm not one that likes admittance ANYWHERE or to ANYTHING...on a technacallity.
I still don't know if my car qualifies based on simply being a 1970 Toronado.
I've never owned a boat: land or sea, before and am learning the ins and outs as I go.
If it's a 'darksider' than I say sign me up. Unless it's only a technacallity that would get us in.
:-/
I'm basically restoring a poorly owned car that deserves better. That is all.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 02:36 PM

Howdy Darksiders!
Here's my 1968 Delmont 88 convertible. Been in the family for over 20yrs and still needs tons of work, but at least it's finally getting some attention!

68 Delmont 88 convertible
Old December 3rd, 2019, 04:53 PM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome ! Looks like you got a good solid car to start with . Good luck .
Old December 3rd, 2019, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Welcome ! Looks like you got a good solid car to start with . Good luck .
Yeah it's fairly solid for the most part, but definitely some body work that needs attention sooner than later.
I also have a parts car at my inlaws that's slightly in better condition - but that one was acquired after work began on this one...it also doesn't have the sentimental value since the red one was my dad's.
Old December 5th, 2019, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Perkolator
Howdy Darksiders!
Here's my 1968 Delmont 88 convertible. Been in the family for over 20yrs and still needs tons of work, but at least it's finally getting some attention!

68 Delmont 88 convertible
Nice car, solid foundation.
Old January 12th, 2020, 09:57 AM

62 Olds Engine Needed

I am asking on behalf of a friend. He is in need of a replacement engine for his 1962 Olds Starfire; 394 c.i., 345 h.p. V8 Not that it makes any difference, but his location is Windsor, ONT Canada.

Any leads?

Appreciated, and be assured I shall pass the contact info (name/phone/email/link) on.

Last edited by D. Yaros; February 12th, 2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old January 17th, 2020, 08:27 PM

If anyone needs rear suspension parts for a '65-70 B/C body I recently received the Goodmark boxed lower control arms for the 65-67 F85 from RockAuto and Fusick's upper control arms for the same. In the original shop manual/parts book the part numbers are the same for '64-67 F85 and '65-70 88/98. So far crawling under and visually sighting them they line up exactly. I'll update once I get them installed in the next month. Snowing here in Western Washington, too cold in the garage. I also think I'll pick up the Ridetech bushing tool to help with the upper bushings on the diff.
Old January 28th, 2020, 04:42 AM

1962 ninety eight

This car has been in our family on my fathers side since it was new. It was my great aunts car. She never drove it in the snow or rain and was always garage kept. It does have

some mileage on it at a 107,000 but she runs great and doesn’t smoke.
the only problems it has is window wipers on the doors are dry rotted, the dash clock works when it want to, there is a crack in the middle of the dash and some nicks in the paint here and there. Other than that she’s a beauty
Old January 28th, 2020, 08:09 AM
Phantom Phixer

Very nice original car . I could see it garnering 9 hundred points , or more , at an OCA meet , AS IS
And a family heirloom too ,
Welcome

Last edited by Charlie Jones; January 28th, 2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old January 28th, 2020, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Very nice original car . I could see it garnering 9 hundred points , or more , at an OCA meet , AS IS
And a family heirloom too ,
Welcome
Thank you Charlie It’s great to be here! My father took it to a few local car shows and won some trophies. He’s also been in a couple of parades with the car in the small town he lived in. My father passed away 7 1/2 years ago and my brother and sister wanted nothing to do with it so it became mine. It was something my great aunt gave to my dad, brother and I in 1998 before she passed at the ripe age of 95 nine years later.
we did add the skirts though as you probably already knew plus it was hard to match the original lacquer paint. Lol

Last edited by vogel 1962 Olds 98; January 28th, 2020 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old January 29th, 2020, 02:04 PM

Very Nice car - Wish I had it.
Old January 29th, 2020, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by jerbear2
Very Nice car - Wish I had it.
Thank you jerbear2!
Old February 9th, 2020, 04:22 PM

Hello Darksiders!

Hello! I first Posted over at the Newbie Forum and Charlie Jones kindly invited me over to join in the camaraderie of the Darkside. I know it is an A Body world out there but I much prefer the larger Oldsmobiles from the 60s and early 70s. I have an unmolested 1967 Delta Custom Holiday Coupe 425ci/2bbl that I am ever so slowly trying to bring back to her glory days. She runs good and is currently roadworthy but like any 50+ year old car has quirks and things that don't work. Hope to get the interior freshened this year (seat covers, dash cover, and package shelf are shot from sun rot) and still trying to figure out what to do about paint. The current champagne color, while original to the car, just does not do the chrome and brightwork full justice (at least in my humble opinion). I have been going back and forth on changing the color to (67' model year correct) Tahoe Turquoise and changing the vinyl top to white. Other plans are to move up to a 4bbl and add dual exhausts (I already have a 4bbl intake from a '68 Toronado and a '67 4bbl Rochester (# 7027157) from an Olds) to bring the 425 to life. I understand I will have to get the special B Body driver's side exhaust manifold from Thornton to clear the steering box for the duals. Want to keep her as true to original as possible so only non-cosmetic changes that I plan on are that which "could" have been had from the factory option sheet.

I look forward to visiting this forum regularly and contributing when I can.

Dave

​​​​​​​
Old February 12th, 2020, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
I am asking on behalf of a friend. He is in need of a replacment engine for his 1922 Olds Starfire; 345 c.i., 345 h.p. V8 Not that it makes any difference, but his location is Windsor, ONT Canada.

Any leads?

Appreciated, and be assured I shall pass the contact info (name/phone/email/link) on.
Dave something wrong here, you must mean 1962 year and 392 ci for the engine size. Just clearing up a fubar. I'm sure others have caught it.... Tedd
Old February 12th, 2020, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Dave something wrong here, you must mean 1962 year and 392 ci for the engine size. Just clearing up a fubar. I'm sure others have caught it.... Tedd
should be a 394ci not a 392 also
Old February 12th, 2020, 11:31 AM

Tedd, I know not what is going on. I made those corrections quite a while back.. Why the error is still present, I don't understand. Corrected it again! Tx.

I have also noticed that a msg I posted a couple of days ago re: a guy (Lebo Rivers) making Oldsmobile clocks/signs/banner is no where to be found or seen? Do not know if it is just me, or what?
Old February 12th, 2020, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 67 D88Custom
Hello! I first Posted over at the Newbie Forum and Charlie Jones kindly invited me over to join in the camaraderie of the Darkside. I know it is an A Body world out there but I much prefer the larger Oldsmobiles from the 60s and early 70s. I have an unmolested 1967 Delta Custom Holiday Coupe 425ci/2bbl that I am ever so slowly trying to bring back to her glory days. She runs good and is currently roadworthy but like any 50+ year old car has quirks and things that don't work. Hope to get the interior freshened this year (seat covers, dash cover, and package shelf are shot from sun rot) and still trying to figure out what to do about paint. The current champagne color, while original to the car, just does not do the chrome and brightwork full justice (at least in my humble opinion). I have been going back and forth on changing the color to (67' model year correct) Tahoe Turquoise and changing the vinyl top to white. Other plans are to move up to a 4bbl and add dual exhausts (I already have a 4bbl intake from a '68 Toronado and a '67 4bbl Rochester (# 7027157) from an Olds) to bring the 425 to life. I understand I will have to get the special B Body driver's side exhaust manifold from Thornton to clear the steering box for the duals. Want to keep her as true to original as possible so only non-cosmetic changes that I plan on are that which "could" have been had from the factory option sheet.

I look forward to visiting this forum regularly and contributing when I can.

Dave

Nice car keep the updates coming thanks for saving another one.
Old March 5th, 2020, 06:33 AM

I posted most of mine in the Newbie forum but I have my great grandmother's 66 Olds Jetstar 88. About the only thing I know that's been done to it is to convert it to 12v. Other than that it's all original as far as I'm aware. Having the same problem another person was having with the buttons on the environmental controls (buttons not clicking into place.) Need to do a carb rebuild and probably the timing belt/chain though so far I'm not seeing any timing issues. Mileage is original and I've wanted this car since I was 10:

Original miles

Old March 5th, 2020, 06:58 AM

The car was manufactured with 12V electrical system, it wouldn't have been converted to 12V. Welcome to the Darksiders
Old March 5th, 2020, 07:04 AM

Nice Ride! Welcome!

This car came from the factory as 12Volt so if there was a "conversion" I'm guessing it would have been the A/C from R12 to R134.

Great color combo. Let me know if you ever decide to sell it

The buttons on the climate control have springs and linkage that can get gummed up. May just need to be removed cleaned and greased ( specific grease ) as far as the timing chain ( it is a chain ) is there a specific reason you want to change it? It is not like the timing belts of modern cars where they have intervals and wear or snap, and there are no clearance issues between valves and pistons ( i believe) so if it broke you would only need to change the timing chain and no other damage is usually done... but I am not familiar with the chains breaking on theses cars. If it has skipped timing, and you may have a running issue due to that, but that's a different story. Then yes change it.
Old March 5th, 2020, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by oldsrocket88
Nice Ride! Welcome!

This car came from the factory as 12Volt so if there was a "conversion" I'm guessing it would have been the A/C from R12 to R134.

Great color combo. Let me know if you ever decide to sell it

The buttons on the climate control have springs and linkage that can get gummed up. May just need to be removed cleaned and greased ( specific grease ) as far as the timing chain ( it is a chain ) is there a specific reason you want to change it? It is not like the timing belts of modern cars where they have intervals and wear or snap, and there are no clearance issues between valves and pistons ( i believe) so if it broke you would only need to change the timing chain and no other damage is usually done... but I am not familiar with the chains breaking on theses cars. If it has skipped timing, and you may have a running issue due to that, but that's a different story. Then yes change it.
I may have been misinformed that
Get that carb rebuilt (2GC Rochester's are easy DIYs) and you'll be happy for another 100,000 miles with regular maintenance (although check the timing for any jitter that might indicate a worn timing set...…...if so get that replaced right away because the factory cam sprocket uses nylon teeth that are prone to wear / age / crack).

If that's not the case it saves me a little change and trouble.
ETA: What is the specific grease for the climate controls?

Last edited by Aragorn; March 5th, 2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old March 5th, 2020, 03:18 PM

Welcome Aragorn. Great looking Jetstar 88 you have there. Enjoy it - they are only original once.

Old March 5th, 2020, 04:44 PM

Welcome Aragorn. Great looking Jetstar 88 you have there. Enjoy it - they are only original once.
Thanks, not really planning on doing anything crazy with it other than needed maintenance. I like how she drives and handles as it is. Don't need to do much more.
Old March 29th, 2020, 07:04 PM

Anyone know if a cutlass hood hinge will work on the Jetstar? The passenger side hinge decided to bind and bend rather than turn as I was trying to close it today. I'm still not sure how I managed that one.
Old March 29th, 2020, 08:25 PM

Aragorn - According to my Parts and Accessories Catalog (March '68 edition), all 1966 cars used the same hood hinges - part 391106 (right) and 391107 (left). My catalog shows the same part numbers for 1967 F85 (Cutlass) and Toronado. The '67 full size (Delmont, 88, 98) show different part numbers. Thus, based solely on that (50+ year old) information, to answer your question yes, a Cutlass hinge would fit but only a '66 or '67.
Old March 29th, 2020, 08:29 PM

Aragorn - According to my Parts and Accessories Catalog (March '68 edition), all 1966 cars used the same hood hinges - part 391106 (right) and 391107 (left). My catalog shows the same part numbers for 1967 F85 (Cutlass) and Toronado. The '67 full size (Delmont, 88, 98) show different part numbers. Thus, based solely on that (50+ year old) information, to answer your question yes, a Cutlass hinge would fit but only a '66 or '67.
Perfect thanks. I should be good to go then.

Last edited by Aragorn; March 29th, 2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old April 7th, 2020, 03:39 PM

Glad to be here, thanks for the invite! 1968 Delmont

Old April 7th, 2020, 05:22 PM

Welcome Gageinator! Delmont 88s are great cars. Only 2 model years - 67 & 68 - before they disappeared. The big girls, particularly the 4 door versions, don't get the love and respect they deserve. Have fun with your project and thanks for saving another one from the wrecking yard/scrap dealer.

Old April 21st, 2020, 09:17 AM

Ok, I know I saw this somewhere but for the life of me I can't find it again. Does anyone know what the cross post resistance should be for the ignition coil on a 330? The old one is sitting at about 2 ohms and the new one I just bought is sitting at about 1.3. Thanks I do have a copy of the service manuals on order but no idea when they will get here.
Old April 21st, 2020, 09:55 AM

Aragorn, I can't speak for the '66 but my '67 CSM lists Coil primary resistance for all V-8 engines as 1.77 - 2.05 Ohms @ 75 degrees F.

Old April 27th, 2020, 01:05 PM

Aragorn, I can't speak for the '66 but my '67 CSM lists Coil primary resistance for all V-8 engines as 1.77 - 2.05 Ohms @ 75 degrees F.
Just for future reference it didn't change:
At 75 F:
Primary coil resistance v8: 1.77-2.05 Ohms
Primary coil resistance L6 1.45-1.63 Ohms
Secondary coil resistance: 6500-9500 Ohms

So guess I'm going to return the new coil.

Quick Reply: 61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !