Very new to olds,need help

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM

Very new to olds,need help

Don't want to offend anybody but i have no clue on anything about oldsmobiles.I'm really a Chevy guy but hey we're still GM family,right!Anyway,i need as much info on my newly acquired 4 dr 57 super88.First,is this car like a base model or top of line for Olds in 57?Assuming the motor is original what size did they offer and where can i look to verify with my eng. numbers.Are the casting numbers in back of the block?I also have a/c ,power steering,power brakes, is that standard or upgrade.Does the glass bowl for gas need to be full when running or does it always stay half filled?I only ask because i'm having carb problems.Can anyone suggest parts catalogs.Thnx fellars.I really appreciate it.novice57
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:27 AM

Welcome to the website and the wonderful world of Oldsmobiles. Your 57 88 is a beautiful car. Throughout Olds history (since the 50s at least) the 88 has been the basic big car with the 98 being top of the line. Your AC is probably an option for 57 and I imagine the power brakes are an option as well; however, I think power steering came standard. Someone else might know for sure.

What kind of carburetor probletms are you having? Does your car run poorly? It might be bad spark as well. The glass bowl you are referring to is probably on the fuel pump. You can check the fuel pump output by taking the fuel line off and letting the fuel pump into a coffee can. You should be able to tell if you have good fuel pressure. Make sure you disconnect the coil wire when you crank the engine with the fuel line off.

Your engine is probably a 371, they were green in the 50s.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Past Administrator

A little more on the history. In the 1940 Olds started describing model size and engine size by two numbers which became the model number. It goes like this. At the beginnning they had a sixty series (small), seventy series (larger), and ninety series (largest). I don't think the sixty series lasted very long, maybe for six years 1940,'41,46,'47,'48 and '49. The second number of the model denoted the engine a straight six or staight eight. So a model 66 was the smallest and in the beginning usually the most basic with a straight six in it. and a model 98 would have been the largest car with a straight eight in it and probably could have been optioned out the most. In 1949 olds introduce their V8 engine, dropped the sixty series and inserted the eighty series. I don't think the seventy series lasted too long after that and in the fifties you had the 88 models and the 98 models as they almost exclusively used the V8 then. Now, since there were only two models they started to offer more options to differentiate between them and allow more choice for the customer. A little later they started adding names to the 88 series like Delta, Delmont, Holiday, Super, Golden and others that denoted option packages. So, your Super 88 was described this way in one of my references.
"The middle Oldsmobile series was the popular Super Eighty-Eight. Wheelbase and body shells were shared with the Golden Rocket Eighty-Eights. Six body styles were offered including the newly returned station wagon. Standard equipment included all items from the Golden Rocket Eighty-Eight plus front fender chrome script, exposed chorme roof bows and side intereior courtesy lights. A variety of colored cloth and leather upholstery copmbination could be oreder......."

Last edited by Oldsguy; September 3rd, 2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:23 PM

Thnx fellars,that was very good info and i appreciate ya'll being so helpful.My carb was getting fuel pressure from an electric pump,but i think the jets were clogged up.I dissmantled the top and checked the needle shut off valve which wasn't stuck closed.So i shot carb cleaner in every possible hole i could find but when i put back together it still didn't shoot gas to the barrels.I was also surprised to find no debris inside carb other than some weird gold cap and what looked to be a shim or spacer!I tried ordering a new carb but am having trouble since the carb didnt have any numbers stamped on it.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:57 PM

Check the phone book of the nearest big city. There should be someone in your area that rebuilds carbs. Around here they advertise in the Nickle Ads. Your area should have something similar, free newspaper. If your carb had it's tag you could order a rebuild kit from NAPA or such. You might try ebay also. I've seen 'old stock' rebuilt carbs for other old cars on there. But the quality of of carb that's set on the shelf for 20 or so years maybe questionable.
Don
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM

Alot of people may disagree with me, but I had nothing but problems with REBUILT '57 and '59 Rochester carbs. The best thing I did was replace them with a new Edelbrock carb ( with alot of fabricating for the transmission kickdown ) I just didnt have time or patience to fool around with these Rochester carbs
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Past Administrator

You are right about the kickdown. My son's '64 98 with a 394 engine and Rochester 4bbl had a similar problem when he tried to use a new Edelbrock carb. He really liked the carb performance but had a real time of it to fabricate a good kickdown mechanism that worked well. Eventually he went back to the stock carb, I think he rebuilt it.
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Well, i had so much trouble getting a replacement carb,that i decided to get my old one rebuilt locally which was a much better option.Not only was it cheaper but it looked so clean just like the new ones!Anyway all the jets are working now,but still having fuel pressure probs.I replaced all the fuel line from back to front and left tank alone since it showed signs of being recently serviced.I still can't get gas to carb though because electric fuel pump is a pusher not a sucker which i didn't know.Now,i'm not sure what to do.I don't know why the original fuel pump was bypassed but i'de rather not use it anyway.Do they sell electric pumps that do pull and push?novice
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by novice57
........ I don't know why the original fuel pump was bypassed ........
Usually it was because it stopped working, and a replacement was not available. Egge Machine sells rebuild kits, for these pumps, that work very well.

........ Do they sell electric pumps that do pull and push?
Push, yes. Pull, no.

Norm