very very new to bc/cc

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2012, 09:37 AM

very very new to bc/cc

just trying to plan ahead, I am planning to paint my olds as a 69 hurst olds convertible, now the base colour is easy enough, I do have a few questions;

1. I plan to paint the door jambs, trunk jambs etc then assemble the fenders hood etc, and do the final painting of the car> what method do i use for the jambs? do I Just bc/cc or use single stage, then mask those areas?

2. When applying the stripes, do I clear first? mask off and apply the stripes, then shoot clear over the whole thing?

3. should I just mask and spray the 1/8th inch pinstripe? or use a stripping brush? or what to do? do pinstrippers stripe on top of bc/cc?
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:59 AM

If you're painting silver, I'd paint your final coat - everything, including the door jambs, with the same cup of paint, in one pass!
I've seen silver change shades from the front to the rear of the car, unless in a booth.
Then the stripes - all of them, then the clear.
Remember - the cleaner the surface before the clear, the easier the wetsanding will go!
You can come back to the jambs on the clear coat.
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
If you're painting silver, I'd paint your final coat - everything, including the door jambs, with the same cup of paint, in one pass!
I've seen silver change shades from the front to the rear of the car, unless in a booth.
Then the stripes - all of them, then the clear.
Remember - the cleaner the surface before the clear, the easier the wetsanding will go!
You can come back to the jambs on the clear coat.
the 69 was cameo white ( fleet white now I guess) I know exactly what you are saying about metallic, when I painted lacquer, I always did the jambs first, but the whole car at once ( not fenders dorrs separately) and I used to add clear into the last few coats of the paint to even out the metallic, then plain clear...

what is the working time? I am not clear on the "window" that I can paint the jambs, I really want to paint these first, then assemble the fenders etc
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

If you do the jambs i would do bc cc, instead of using two diffrent paint systems . You can apply the stripes after your car has been buffed. You then mask it off prep and cover the car apply base and clear then sand and clear completly again if you wish to do so. You could also base it stripe it and clear it all but that does not leave much room for error. As far as striping goes mask and paint dont brush / pin stripe it.
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:52 AM

lets see if I got this straight..

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
If you do the jambs i would do bc cc, instead of using two diffrent paint systems . You can apply the stripes after your car has been buffed. You then mask it off prep and cover the car apply base and clear then sand and clear completly again if you wish to do so. You could also base it stripe it and clear it all but that does not leave much room for error. As far as striping goes mask and paint dont brush / pin stripe it.

Ok so that kind of makes sense, bc/cc the jambs etc then Mask them? then bc/cc the whole car, then bc the stripes, then clear the whole thing ( to bury the edge) or just clear the striping ( more like the original)

Thanks for the help, I also thought to use a small jamb gun for the pinstripe or i do have a couple of higher end air brushes..
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:58 AM

Yes mask the jambs., you can use the foam painters tape for door jambs and then you hand buff the little edge off left over from a little build up which always happens but can always be cleaned up . Yes you can clear the stripe like original or re clear to bury the edges. a detail gun works great for small stuff but when you are doing the stripes having the right amount of material helps specially when clearing.
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:25 PM

If it's not a real H\O I'd paint the gold for the stripes first, mask for the stripes, paint the white, and clear everything. It makes the stripes really stand out.

Not original, but better IMO
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:29 PM

Only problem with that is now the stripes will be sunken in. Its easier to sand the step out then to try to wet sand a low spot out. It will be much easier to burn through when wet sanding. If yóu lay your clear thick enough you will sand the steps out and it will be silck smooth.
Old June 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM

good thoughts

Ally I know what your saying but I need to do the jambs first then the gold then the black pinstripe then the white would be better to actually do the black p/s then gold but as copper said the clean up will be murder. I had thought about doing an evil twin h/o black body the h/o gold and red pinstripe and the gold headrest treatment on the gold interior but figured I would stick to the script
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Yes mask the jambs., you can use the foam painters tape for door jambs and then you hand buff the little edge off left over from a little build up which always happens but can always be cleaned up . Yes you can clear the stripe like original or re clear to bury the edges. a detail gun works great for small stuff but when you are doing the stripes having the right amount of material helps specially when clearing.
I cleared mine like the originals. As soon as I finished, I carefully removed the masking while the paint was wet and let the edges settle.
I didn't want to unmask the whole car, scuff the clear, mask again, layout and mask the stripes, paint them, and then re clear the whole car. I guess it's what you are looking for in the final result. The original stripes were painted on top and not buried like alot of show cars are.
I also like to use the 3M Smooth Transition tape over the foam for door jambs etc. A little more masking, but it works great. Hardly no edge at all. JMO
New pic's coming soon. I re painted it last winter as it was not perfect. Sorry Joe P but I added the W-30 stripes. At least it's still a Cutlass and no fake badges!!

Last edited by ziff396; June 5th, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old June 5th, 2012, 05:11 PM

I did the same on my hood stripes .
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Paint the jambs, then assemble. Mask the jambs and paint the outside as one. You could paint apart and then reassemble, but I would not recommend this for metallic colors. I had to assemble and paint the exterior because I did a 2 tone with accent stripe, so I had to line up the parts perfectly first to get the stripe right.
I sealed the whole car, laid down the red for the stripe, masked the stripe and painted the lower color, masked the lower color and painted the upper color. Then I unmasked and cleared it all at once. 3 coats of clear to cut and buff, maybe 4 just where the stripe edges are for extra insurance.

Last edited by ijasond; June 11th, 2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: add a photo
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:00 PM

Wow nice job:-)
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:02 AM
72 Olds CS

yeah that looks nice jason good work
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

thank you guys.