General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

okay heres were im at i need help guys all opinions are very appriciated

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:29 AM

okay heres were im at i need help guys all opinions are very appriciated

okay guys so maybe you guys remember my post not long ago about trying to find a 350 engine for my 77 cutlass supreme..
(option 1)
i had one guy who has one that looks clean and says that it was supposedly rebuilt.. but he dosent no for sure it didn't fit his car so now hes reselling it.. motor is out side of car and is willing to let me do compression check and anything else i want.. he is selling a olds 350/th350 for $650. my post with more info on it is here(pics of motor)..https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ggestions.html..

(option 2) my mechanics machinist has a rebuilt 70 olds block (gold block) that he just rebuilt. all new everything its basically stock just mild things done to it nothing special( motor dosent come with intake manifold,valve covers,oil pan,).. he is willing to sell for $1700 plus my core( old engine)..

so those are my two options.. i dont want nothing special i just want a reliable engine.. now if the compression test checks out will it be good to take a gamble on option 1.. cuase saving 1000+ on the engine will be very helpfull and will go to my interior.. i need opinions guys help please.

Last edited by rayfrausto; June 23rd, 2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:10 AM

Not the worst options to have. I would have to ask what is the car you are putting it into like ? Are you going to keep it for many years or not?
Is the 1050 or so dallors a factor? Will you be putting the motor in or will it be farmed out ? What would it not fit into or was he trying to put it into that it would not fit ? I would lean to the long block finish it off the way you want as far as valve covers intake and carb . Then you know the
cam the pistions the pushrod and do on that are in it and fresh JMO but thats going to add up to about 2000 grand or more when its all said and done depending on the intake, oil pan, starter, waterpump If not on it .
Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
Not the worst options to have. I would have to ask what is the car you are putting it into like ? Are you going to keep it for many years or not?
Is the 1050 or so dallors a factor? Will you be putting the motor in or will it be farmed out ? What would it not fit into or was he trying to put it into that it would not fit ? I would lean to the long block finish it off the way you want as far as valve covers intake and carb . Then you know the
cam the pistions the pushrod and do on that are in it and fresh JMO but thats going to add up to about 2000 grand or more when its all said and done depending on the intake, oil pan, starter, waterpump If not on it .
he was trying to put it into an old school piontiac like a 50's oldschool mob car. i seen the car he was restoring when i went and he was showing me pictures of the drop in how the exhaust manifolds wouldent fit.. and as for the long block i was planning on using my vlave covers and oil pan and intake off my 350 rocket i currently have and just pain them gold.. i already have a 600 cmf edelbrock carb too
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:51 PM

Any other opinions please guys isi it worth taking a chance on the unknown engine if the compression checks out?
Old June 23rd, 2011, 07:01 PM

I wouldn't pay the guy full asking price as he's not certain and anyone can clean up a engine and paint it to make it look new. I would check the compression and oil maybe pull the pan and see if any sludge or anything. Also find out how long it hasn't been in a car and if no oil find out how long it's been without as most likely the gaskets and seals could possibly be no good.