The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2018, 09:31 AM

Sloshed around smacking whitey this mawn'in 44/.42

Mike, That;s the only think I don't like about going norte. Atlanta traffic goes all the way to Dahlonega

The only thing I know about Canadian politics is the national anthem And thats because i used to have season ticket to the hockey games
Old November 5th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Bahahahaha, another day of snow and crap.....so in other words everything's normal here...

Yesterday the dumba$$ syrian girl next door threw a glass bottle at our stone flower garden out front. I didn't hear it but some of the other neighbor kids saw it and rang my doorbell to let me know. I appreciated them telling me because it was snowing and the broken glass had gone into the flower garden and also dropped onto the rock drain where the weeping tile is buried. I went next door and confronted her. She freely admitted the deed and said her teacher had told her to do it. ???? WTF???? I called her a liar and made her come out and clean up the broken glass best as possible. What did she do with it?? Ya, she threw it on their lawn in the snow. What a bimbo. I'm sure there's still more glass that is waiting to be found in the spring, and it will go straight into their front flower garden when I find it. The parents have no control over these kids and let them do whatever they want. I think maybe I'll start raising hogs in the back yard just to **** them off.

Just ran some pump saver through my pressure washer. I was going to do it last week and then the weather turned. I thought it would clear up but we're in for the duration now. We have one day (this coming Friday) that's forecast for above freezing. Otherwise we're in the tank.

Jim - That's not a bad round. Way better than the ones you wouldn't post scores for. Mebbe sloshing is good for ya. You think your drive is bad? C'mon up here and give it a try.

Mike - Hope the drive was good. You go straight to work or go home and change first?

Marc - I agree with your views in that PM. Sad state of affairs isn't getting any better. It's like only getting to pick the runt of the litter and it doesn't work out...

I looked at a 2018 Malibu Premiere on the web. Super nice car but overpriced. Then I noticed an incentive "Special E Price" - just send in name and email. So I did. The SEP was the exact same as the web price so I responded telling them their incentive process is pretty lame. It must have worked because I haven't gotten any reply emails from them. Too bad - this car was perfect and had a list of options longer than a toilet paper roll. I'm not in a rush so there will be other options sooner or later.
Old November 5th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice drive home, although I left later than I wanted. Seems there was a death in niece's inlaw family which trickled down to my Mom having to do extra things and I stuck around to run some errands with her. Eh, glad to be home and now I can relax for a little bit before bed.

Didn't finish the gate. The drill ran out of juice, so I borrowed another drill. It ran out of juice. I wasn't pleased. I had planned on bringing my drill but forgot it. I don't have much more at all, but the yard is secure and I'll finish next time.

It had rained at some point over the weekend, in fact it's been misting ever since I crossed the state line into Georgia. I had stopped my mail and the driver was nice enough to deliver it all today, and left it in the rain. Now my magazines are melted together and I get to attempt to get new ones. Honestly. What the hell are people thinking these days.

Texted my buddy at work to see what drama had continued from last week and he didn't say much. I'll find out tomorrow. It should be quiet for a few days until the same bad behavior creeps back in. It's cyclical.

Hope everyone had a good weekend and the week started out good. Have a good evening everyone.
Old November 5th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Olds Friends:
Yesterday was a nice day here. The weather was very nice. The son and his wife and her youngest came and we all went to Valentino's which is our favorite restaurant in Rowlett. We were celebrating my wife and son's birthdays. Hers was the 1st and his is the 11th. We will be on our way back from the Veterans Day Show down in Bastrop so we did the celebrating this weekend. It was a good time and a good visit.
I moved my Sea Doos out of my garage to open storage and covered them with a tarp. I was going to move the boat but after I looked at it I decided to donate it to Dallas Can Academy. I should have done this some time ago (I won't say how long ago). It has sat outside without a cover on it and needs lots of work. It is a pretty cool old boat but I just need to get rid of it and quit paying storage on it. My transmission guy called me today and said my car should be ready tomorrow. They did have to pull the transmission so there goes $500. I will probably have another $50 for fluid and whatever. I am just glad it is going to be fixed and not pour stinking transmission fluid all over my garage floor. I have the floor cleaned up now but will still put down drip pans with oil dry in them.
Mike, glad you had a good trip.
Allan, you neighbors are probably communists. If they were in the US I can guess how they would be voting tomorrow. I am holding my breath.
Later Guys
Glenn
Old November 6th, 2018, 04:39 AM

Like a cow on a flat rock down ere dis mawn'in

A loverly day to drive to town. Wish I had an Amphicar

Have a great day Olds friends
Old November 6th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

-14 here this morning. Yay.....
Time for meds and then get ready for curling. Traffic shouldn't be nearly as snarled today. It did snow a skiff overnight. nuthin much else
Old November 6th, 2018, 05:46 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jim:
I know a guy that has an Amphicar and is pretty close to you.
Old November 6th, 2018, 05:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Either that or a DUKW We know a guy who has one of those....
Old November 6th, 2018, 06:24 AM

Not sure Mike's is sea worthy

Curious
Periodically I sit down and have ta ax myself. Is this dr [or dentist] really looking after me or does he jes want a new Porsche

Anyone else have these thoughts
Old November 6th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

It's lunchtime. We worked so hard this morning we're ahead of the game and get an extended amount of time. Good for us.

The truth about the current state of my amphibious vehicles is that they'd go into the water once.

Also awaiting my return yesterday, in addition to my soggy mail, was a piece of trim and some paperwork sent from the guy I bought the new Cutlass from. A piece of the trim on the rear window was bent, and he said he had a nice piece on a parts car he'd send me. He also sent me the original window sticker, and the sales paperwork for the original owner. All packed into the original folder from the dealer. I haven't gone through the folder yet, but if I find the Protecto Plate I'll be yelling from the mountaintops. I don't care if no one likes the 4 door sedans, I love that kind of stuff.

It was misting on the way in early this morning and I think we're supposed to have rain all week. I hope not. I've got some errands to run this afternoon so rain doesn't matter. Except I don't like it.

Think I'll kick back for a little while. Hope the morning is going well for everyone.
Old November 6th, 2018, 09:53 AM

A blustery day. Good thing that the roofers start tomorrow, as they are predicting lake effect snow on Friday and Saturday. Jamesbo, I wonder that myself. After doing a shift of work last night with my back just killing me, I had to wonder. We did the back x rays in July, followed by therapy, and if that wasn't successful, they were supposed to do an MRI. I've heard nothing since. I have an appt. at the end of December. So, I will have to bring it up. I would have thought steroid shots or something. In talking to the doc. he seems to listen and respond to my concerns verbally, but follow through seems to be lacking. Another year older, if it weren't for my back, I say I feel ten years younger.
Old November 6th, 2018, 03:35 PM

A good long day for me,been busy since yesterday at work.Had every job except one,a water pump job in a Kenworth.Will have this one done tomorrow,water pump comes in tomorrow morning.Went to the doctor as well,everything looked good including my blood sugar level.I am pre diabetic which my doctor is proud of me keeping this under control
Old November 6th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Oh no, not again...

Pretty exhausting day; - started with moving that skiff of snow as the car was warming up, and then proceeded to do voice-overs for some computer based training modules we're building for 8 hours straight with a chemical training session in between. ("Hi, I'm Troy Maclure, you might remember me from such films as...") that sort of thing. So I'm pretty burned out and I can't talk...probably a good thing, the wide and kid will have a quiet night.
Otherwise, life goes on....inexorably...

Have a great evening!
Old November 6th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Always room for one more

Well, no Protect O Plate. But the stuff I do have is excellent. I also got a big box of receipts when I got the car. It's like the paper version of the car's This Is Your Life. Funny, I also got a big box of receipts with the VW I bought a couple years ago, and looking through it pretty much negated everything the seller told me. I still liked the car, though.

So here is a building question that has me stumped. How do I get a sag out of the new gate I just built? I was careful to make the cuts just right, and also put in the kitty-corner board. It didn't sag until I put the pickets on, so it is from weight. The gate is 48 1/2 inches wide.

Regular time tomorrow, so I get a couple extra hours of sleep. Might get my hair cut tomorrow afternoon. Ended up being a nice day here, around 70 and sunny.

Have a good night everyone.
Old November 7th, 2018, 04:23 AM

The purge continues

Mike, 2 questions

Which way did you put on the brace board,? It should be lower bottom far side and upper top on the hinge side Are you sure it's not the gate post moving and causing some slack. IMHO all wooden gates sag unless they have huge strap hinges ya jes haveta compensate for it, Have you thought about putting a wheel or caster on the bottom

Off to toss more crap away

Old November 7th, 2018, 05:26 AM

Finally, the political ads will stop. Cool and windy. No roofers in site. Ten minutes later...they're here.

Last edited by 1969w3155; November 7th, 2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old November 7th, 2018, 06:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Woo hoo! A win yesterday with the Granite Geezers. That's as exciting for me as Jim getting 42/40 on de links.

Wednesday at the Saville should be much better.

I built 2 gates at the old house that were about the same width. Never had any sag in them. They got bracing and cane bolts (to the ground) in the middle to lock them in place when not in use.I used 2x4 boards and 1x6 planks with 4x4 posts. My gate here is 3' wide and built from 2x6 and 1x6 with 4x6 posts. I also used industrial strength hinges to handle the weight.

Roofing with metal - is it that new type of metal shingle that has a textured coating that looks like regular shingles?
Old November 7th, 2018, 07:21 AM

Allan, I did not get that type of roofing, though I did see it on a house that I looked before buying this one. Looked just like regular shingles, except heavier looking. Too much noise for the cat, he's under the couch. I'll provide pics after they are done, which will be tomorrow.
Old November 7th, 2018, 08:13 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Dan when I had the roof done on my house I took the dogs to the kennel. They would have gone mad with all the noise up there.

Jamesbo I have the brace opposite of what you said. High point of brace is opposite the hinges. Posts are solid in concrete, they ain't moving. Should I put the brace going the other way? I like the idea of a wheel under it. Might look a little funny but Mom won't care and it will operate easier. What is a strap hinge?

We are doing well today so maybe we'll get out a little early. No idea what it's doing outside, we're in a big block building with noise and no windows. I could get up and go look. Nah.

See ya's all later.
Old November 7th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Allan, Congratulations

Mike,,A strap hinge has a long strap that bolts onto the front of the gate adding rigidity

2 freezers, 2 cattle troughs, 4 roils of rusty hog wire, numerous broken pieces of plywood, lumber, shingles and assorted garbage now in it's new home [dumpster] made pretty good progress today
Old November 7th, 2018, 12:24 PM

Not a good day for me,came back home with the flu.Finished a job up and ran into the bathroom puking in the toilet.Told my boss I am clocking out and going home.He saw I was not feeling well and did flush the toilet.I am starting to feel better with lots of rest
Old November 7th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Chalk up anutter win.

Hope the roof turns out well.
Old November 7th, 2018, 04:37 PM
Always room for one more

So the rain started up as soon as I got home. It's stopped now but everything is a mess. It was actually kind of warm when we got out of work around 2.

I have finally taken the final steps to getting rid of my cable company. A year ago or better my TV went on the fritz and I just cancelled my cable TV. The woman said, what will you do without television? It saved me 80 bucks on my bill but I was still paying 70 for the internet. Today I went to Verizon and after listening to some nonsense I signed up to have unlimited data and a hot spot(?) so that my laptop I use at home will work like wifi and I can get rid of the cable internet. This will add 45 to my bill, which is a 25$ savings a month. Win. And I can boot the stupid, slow, unhelpful cable company to the curb. Big win.

So here is a question. What does anyone do for email? I already have a Hotmail email, which I don't really want to use, and I have gmail. I used to have yahoo but didn't like it. I probably won't call the cable people until the weekend so I can send everyone I know my new email and get things switched over(like this forum).

Gonna hit the sack soon. No overtime tomorrow, either. Come to find out, we get slow when there's bad weather and immediately afterward we get slammed. That makes sense, because when I worked outside there was no way I was changing a tire in the rain. When the rain quits all the deferred tires get changed. Maybe we'll work Saturday. I wouldn't mind that.

Well have a good evening everyone.
Old November 7th, 2018, 05:03 PM
Oh no, not again...

I'd love to cut the cable, it's costing me for phone, internet and cable about $200 a month and I'm really not getting much in the way of satisfaction. The landline is called only by East Indian phone scammers, time share salespeople, idiot politicians or parties who seem to always be in crisis and need my donations, or a collection agency for the woman who owned the number before us. My email has been hacked by every stinkin' Russian troll known to inhabit a computer; I am inundated with scams, threats, and bad English from some chick called Svetlana or Olga who wants to do unspeakable things to me "for gracious gift" or marriage. They don't want to do anything about the hackers and trolls, - claim they're powerless. And then there's the TV; 200 plus channels of crap, there's nothing on. I don't know about you guys, but it sure seems that there has been an erosion of standards, in morality and content, most shows are just plain stupid, there's nothing good on anymore. So...it's just a question of convincing the others we can live without and then I'll snip the cable.
As for emails, there's gmail and hotmail, all the others are no better or worse. See a lot more gmail accounts nowadays.

Busy day today, some idiot set off a bomb in the local community centre, and that resulted in a school bus transfer station getting closed. It'll be closed again tomorrow, so another scramble and pleading with the boss for understanding because I have to leave early to get my kid. I'm going to take Friday off and then it's to the hotel where we're doing the coin show, and I'll be there the whole weekend. Good thing Monday is a stat holiday; - I knew there was something good about my ancestors throwing in the towel 100 years ago!

Have a good evening!
Old November 7th, 2018, 05:16 PM

So, the roofer is working for a couple of hours and asks if I got the building permit! Uh, seems to me that the contractor handles that (they're supposed to), so I head down to city hall to get the permit, and viola, it's already in the system as he applied for, but never paid for it. $191.00 dollars later, and lighter in the wallet I was on my way. Stuck it on the front door. I may have to ask tomorrow if that was figured into the roofing quote.
Old November 7th, 2018, 05:28 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Evening Folks:
I spent part of the day getting over the elections. I had two yard signs up in my yard and they both lost. One was for congressman and the other was for state representative. Pete Sessions was our congressman for the 32nd district and a really good guy. He had been in office 20 years and that was probably part of the problem. At least we retained our senator which was scary for a big part of the afternoon. Now I will probably get kicked off here.
My wife and I went over and picked up the 54 this afternoon. They had to pull the transmission and it cost me $500 for the R&R of the transmission. The car is a 54 but has a 55 engine and transmission in it. The 55 and 56 had a really funky design of the rear seal. It is not a simple seal that goes in the end of the tailshaft. In any event it is fixed and I hope it stays that way. The guy that rebuilt my transmission in February 2017 could have charged my for his labor since I only had a one year warranty. Driving home from Arlington was a little hairy since the traffic on I-20 was really heavy. I may get out in the garage tomorrow and use my new jack and raise the front of the car up and replace the oil filter adapter which is leaking. And I will put the 6 ton stands under the car guys. It is supposed to be raining tomorrow but only the back of the car would be sticking out of the garage. We leave Friday morning for the show in Bastrop, Texas. It is not supposed to rain but is going to be cold by Texas standards. The heater didn't work in the car until I got ready to put the AC in. No way I was going to pull the heater core after I put the air in. Surprisingly the heater core was in pretty good shape with a very tiny lead which I had repaired. I replaced the Ranco valve and the heater works great. Even the defrosters work.
Have you boys in Georgia been holding your breaths over the governor election. You may not want to answer that or you will get kicked off too.
Glenn
Old November 8th, 2018, 03:58 AM

We'ew [at least I am] used to the incredible stupidity of Georgia politics

https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/...rs-controversy

Old November 8th, 2018, 05:42 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Interesting Jim. That rates right up there with some of the Louisiana politics.
Old November 8th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Interesting day at work. Started off with barely any wheels in the house, then got a truck in with lots of wheels, ended up getting done what we needed plus a couple. We have military planes in the hangar for a Veterans Day celebration, they are cool looking. Two Osprey's, a C47, C130, several old, old planes that belong to the Confederate Air Force, and an F18. And a couple Jeeps and other military vehicles. Very neat.

Overcast with some misting here and there. I thought I might go over to the shop for a minute, about this time yesterday it started pouring rain, hope that doesn't happen again.

Jamesbo that was an interesting article. Why did E. Talmadge die?

Glenn hope the car is fixed for you now. Good idea with the jack stands.

Okay gonna do something. Hope everyone has a good afternoon.
Old November 8th, 2018, 12:17 PM

Either drank sum bad liquor or ate sum bad barbecue. The son Herman had an overcoat in the hall closet filled with 100 dollar bills, Rumor is, he showed Hershel Walker where it was jes in case he needed sum walking around money/ He really did say, "My daddy left me everything he had so, I'm governor"

Mike, probably before you moved here, he was one of the state senators in D.C for 30-40 years
Old November 8th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thorsday afternoon!

WTH?? 3 consecutive wins? Outstanding!!!

Dan - why do you need a permit for roofing? We don't up here. And I would say if you needed a permit that's on the roofer to build into his cost. If it was me, I'd take his bill and reduce it by $191 + the time and gas to go pick it up - say around $30?? That's BS when they pull stuff like that IMO.

Marc - I think we all get those stupid scams. Sometimes I play along just to frustrate them, others I tell them who I think their ancestors are and they hang up. Either way - problem solved.

Glenn - Good that the transmission is fixed. I looked up parts for your car and can't believe how few there are. Did you also get the fuel gage fixed?

One more day to go. Hopefully it will work out like the rest of the week, but the forecast here is for freezing rain, then snow, then more freezing rain, then more sleet.....sheesh this crap never ends .
Old November 8th, 2018, 01:33 PM

Congrats Allan,
Old November 8th, 2018, 02:46 PM

Allan, we need a permit for anything related to improving/renovating/replacing on a house. New roof, yep, new deck, yep, new shed, yep. Property taxes now going to go up, yep. Permit cost wasn't part of the quote unfortunately.
Old November 8th, 2018, 02:54 PM

Before. With underlayment in place. After pics.
Old November 8th, 2018, 03:30 PM

Looks great, Do ya need a rebel flag? We can't fly them anymore

Dumpster gone, I need 4 more
Old November 8th, 2018, 04:00 PM

Uh no. The rope for my flag broke during a storm. The flag pole is sectional, I pushed on it a few times and don't feel real confident on leaning a ladder against it to put a new rope on it.
Old November 8th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Always room for one more

Looks good Dan. Let us know if rain is any louder inside now. Nice looking place.

Jamesbo how on earth can anyone accumulate that many empty paint cans?

Okay Allan that one went over my head. Who are the telemarketer's ancestors?

It isn't overly cold outside nor inside, but I was cold, so I started up the stove. Now it is toasty inside. I got a big metal garbage can from Walmart a couple years ago and keep some firewood in it with the lid on so it stays dry. One of my better ideas. Stove started right up. Beats the heck out of going through tons of newspaper trying to get wet firewood to light.

I think I'll hit the sack early. I don't have a lot of terribly exciting things going on. Glad tomorrow is Friday. The lead wasn't there today, nor will he be there tomorrow. In his absence is some fat idiot who makes my ears bleed. Oddly enough it's the same fat idiot that almost got fired by HR last week.

Well have a good night everyone.
Old November 8th, 2018, 04:20 PM

Mike, It's easy when ya got thousand of board feet of white fencing to paint plus deck plus white house. Ya haven't seen this place, come on up and bring your paint brush, It's a maintenance nightmare
Old November 8th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Guys:
We will be leaving in the morning for the show in Bastrop so I will be off for the weekend. It is raining at the moment but not supposed to again until Sunday night. It is going to be pretty chilly with a high Saturday in the mid 50's. Allan I figure that will have you in the floor laughing for about 30 minutes. This is he 4th year we have gone to this show and the weather has always been nice. It rained on us a little bit coming home two years ago. That was when I put the electric wipers on. I did not get the fuel gage fixed or my oil leak fixed. I am going to have to drop the tank this winter which is a pain. I also have and oil leak that is an easy fix but is one of those jobs underneath the car this is nasty. Time to use the new jack.
Allan, I think the best stunt I ever pulled on a telemarketer was acting like I could not hear them. I just kept saying I can barely hear you. They kept getting louder and louder like that would help and I know they were in a room at a call center. Finally I said I can't hear you and hung up.
Jim, it is interesting you mention Hershel Walker. I know he supported the male candidate for governor. It has been a long time so a lot of people forget he played for Trump's World Football League team the New Jersey Generals. Trump had signed him to a personal services contract. It was the Hershel Walker trade to Minnesota that allowed Jerry Jones to rebuild the Dallas Cowboys.
Dan, the house looks very nice.
That is about it guys. I hope all of you have a nice weekend.
Glenn
Old November 9th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,
Freezing rain on the way. Ok, snow and cold is one thing but now this stupid freezing rain??? I won't need to hit the Saville to curl if that happens and the radio says it's already starting in some places. Not gonna be a fun commute.

Glenn - After hearing about your 100 plus temps I guess 50 is pretty chilly for you. What I wouldn't give for that here right now though.

Dan - I bet you're glad its all done. Looks like you're demolishing some trees in the front too.

Mike - Ya just gotta think about it a bit.

Jim - Have fun in de hills.

Ok, time for meds and then get ready to wrap up this week with hopefully anutter win!