The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2017, 05:11 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

First time I've been up early on a Tuesday in I don't know how long. Gotta go into work today and get that new ID. Awful house will have to wait until later.

So yesterday I go to get a tire patched on the Tigermobile. I get there at noon and the guy says it will be 2 hours. I go to leave and he says, wait a little while it might get better. So I go across the street to Arbys and come back 45 minutes later. He says an hour and a half. Well 3+ hours later I was fit to be tied and I said, I gotta go. He looks at me like, really? Sheesh. I'll have it fixed tomorrow while I'm at my Mom's.

Dan glad you got your lens, but it would still make me mad. If they say it can't be delivered at a certain time, and it is anyway, how the hell do you plan your day? Wait around forever or leave and have the package sitting on your front porch all day. Either way that's poor service. Where's Scot. He could give us some insight.

Jamesbo one time when I was working at O'Hare a Mexicana plane was taxiing out and the tower said go here. They went to a runway that was closed with construction. The tower said, no don't go there. They kept going. They were ready to take off when the Follow Me truck went out and drove in front of them to keep them from going. We would see their passengers going past our terminal. Their luggage was cardboard boxes tied together with electrical cords.

Okay the office closes at 10. Got plenty to do once I get home. Have a good day everyone.
Old November 21st, 2017, 05:45 AM

mawn'in

Anutter blue bird day with temps rising

Dan, Let's see sum pic with your new toy. Can ya catch the couple across the street

Mike, I had a slow leak once and Sum one told me Kaufman tire would do it for free. So I went down there and sum yahoo says, We don't plug tires. They wanted to take it off and fix it from the inside. So I said "Phuque that" and plugged it.

Speaking of shipping, I got my confirmation on my 10 dogwoods, We'll see what happens next.

London, Glad your tux fits. I opera pumps do but my tux don't

Have a great day olds friends
Old November 21st, 2017, 06:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning,
Day before humpday. Enjoy.
Old November 21st, 2017, 08:48 AM

Been reading up a bit on apertures, and how to set the lens up with the camera, I plan on taking it up North on Thanksgiving to my sis's place. Not sure what I will come up with as I am an amateur, gotta learn through trail an error. Hopefully, when I'm not working on the weekend, I can get down to the big lake and figure things out.
Old November 21st, 2017, 08:49 AM

Oh, and my neighbors are safe, Jamesbo.
Old November 21st, 2017, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Oh, and my neighbors are safe, Jamesbo.

What fun is that
Old November 21st, 2017, 11:36 AM

Evening all

Jim, I had to google what a dogwood is. Nice.

Fed up with shopping so I’m having a day doing some actual work tomorrow. Took one of my minibuses for it’s annual test today and it failed on a suspension ball joint so I might sort that in the morning as long as it’s not too cold.

London weather. Low 60s and gloomy. Need some sunshine.
Old November 21st, 2017, 12:56 PM
Always room for one more

Okay finally time to leave. Was gonna leave at 2, now it will be 4. Eh, Mom isn't expecting me for dinner so I can get there any time.

Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving and is safe traveling. Might check in while I'm gone, otherwise I'll see you all later. Gobble Gobble.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 05:25 AM

mawn'in

A mite chili but spose ta warm up

Safe travels Mike

Allan, I don't mean to be curt but I enjoy my quiet mawn'ins

Dan, I hope ya get things figggered out and can post sum pics

London, Here's a pic looking down the hill from the cemetery towards my hardwoods.Dogwoods bloom in the spring and the 4 petals with the red center are spose to represent the blood on the cross. Have a great day Olds friends
Old November 22nd, 2017, 06:43 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Hope everyone has a Turkey day.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 08:51 PM

Well, looky what I did.
Congratulations!You are one of our TOP 15 winners for our “Best of 2017” photo contest! Your photo will be featured along with your submission information (Name, City/State) in a collage on the back cover on the 2017 Fall/Winter edition of our magazine, The Industry Standard!

As a token of our thanks for your fantastic representation of the Gilmore Car Museum, we would like to mail you a complimentary copy of our magazine featuring your photo.

Please respond with your mailing information as follows:
Your Name
Address
City
State
Zip Code

You can expect to receive your complimentary copy of The Industry Standard no later than December 31, 2017. (Note: If you are already a member of the Museum and receive our magazine, you will receive a second copy to share with family or friends!)

Thank you again for sharing your photos and for capturing the best moments of 2017 at the Gilmore Car Museum!

---
Brittany R. Williams, Collections Registrar

6865 West Hickory Road
Hickory Corners, MI 49060
PH: 269-671-5089, ext. 17
DIR: 269-953-9017
Fax: 269-671-5843
Old November 22nd, 2017, 09:03 PM

Nothing fancy, heare's the pic.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 04:27 AM

mawn'in

Congrats, Tres coool

Have a GREAT Thanksgiving Olds friends
Old November 23rd, 2017, 07:58 AM

Morning all. Off in about an hour to the toolies, aka my sisters place, mild weather, so it should be a nice drive. Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Old November 24th, 2017, 04:20 AM

mawn'in

Chili,

My 10 dogwoods arrived Wednesday, so I'm setting them out today. I may [if I get industrious, move sum forsythia that around the garden. They've jes become a place for bunnies to hide. Las year, I moved around 20 to the eastern edge of the cemetery and it makes a nice spring color splash.

Allan, No need to apologize, I was jes letting you know why I didn't respond.

GTG werk off T-day dinner

Have a great day Olds friends
Old November 24th, 2017, 06:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning,
Looking at new winter shoes for the Malibu. So far it looks like blizzak WS80 is the best tire I can find, but it's not cheap. Have to order them, and apparently there's a holdup at the border because of some stupid gubment export issue? I can get them at any store for close to $1000 installed, but Costco installed is $769 so I'll order them online and wait it out.

Out the door in an hour for another shot at gold at the Saville.
Old November 24th, 2017, 06:32 AM

Good afternoon.

Was busy end-week at work. Now resting with beer.. Surprise..
Wife headed out to shop as it is black friday. I didnt volunteer........

Not much else. Have a good weekend everyone!
Old November 24th, 2017, 07:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Had a nice visit with the family and a good ride home. Got here just before midnight and stayed up until 1. My people aren't coming this weekend so I slept in a little today. Traveling must have really taken it out of Tiger because he didn't budge all night.

Dan that's a dramatic picture. Congratulations.

Jamesbo Dogwoods are common around where I grew up. One day after they all shed this guy I knew was walking around with matches lighting the little patches of dogwood fur on fire. A friend of mine and I were on the driveway when he walked past and we told him he'd better stop. We didn't really like him and he was a bit of a dolt. Well not long after he walked past we heard fire engines and a bunch of commotion down the street. He had set the ravine on fire.

Well okay got lots of catching up to do. Hope everyone has a good Turkey Day. Have a good day everyone.
Old November 24th, 2017, 08:43 AM

A mild Thanksgiving commute yesterday, it was nice not having to drive 75 miles on the snow covered roads. Dry this year. Allan, the WS80 is highly rated, did you do a comparison on Tire Racks website?
Old November 24th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, I looked at darn near every website and tire comparison. Don't forget the tire prices in Canada are about 30-40% higher than where you are. I'm ordering them today and with luck they'll be on the car in 2 weeks. We're having a mild spell that might last about a week. I washed the car on the way home from curling because the car wash is only 2 blocks away and the roads were reasonable. I hate having a dirty car.
Old November 24th, 2017, 10:31 PM

Allan, are the prices higher due to import tariffs?
Old November 24th, 2017, 11:33 PM

Morning.

Yesterday i scored correct waterpump for my build for 40$ brand spanking new
( New one is about 110$ here)! From our own speedparts-store outlet. Yea.

Allan R - You would hate to see my car.. Gets washed maybe 5 times a year.. I just dont bother with cheap crap cars.
Btw, had to look out of interest. Blizzak WS80 at my size 205/65/15 would be 439$ for four tires, or <500$ installed under. You sure has hefty price tag on tires on Canada And i didnt even search for the cheapest, simply opened the first link from google to local tireshop

1969w3155 - Congrats for the award!

Okay... Today im heading to garage. Lifting the engine up, to see what kind of block my 76 has. Havent found definite answer, since 76 seems to be the year when they changed casting of block to have hollowed main webs etc..
But i think i have solids, since i have older style 7/16 head bolts? Didnt all the new ones came with 1/2?
Also getting the crank out, so i can decide which crank to use. I have one N-crank turned down 10/10 at warehouse as a spare. And one SMW 350 block just incase..

Okay, have a good saturday everyone. December is already behind the door!

Last edited by Inline; November 25th, 2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old November 25th, 2017, 04:34 AM

mawn'in

Chili

Got about 20 forsythia moved and 10 dogwoods planted. Naturally no rain in sight. Gotta water and hope for the best

Inline, ya ever seen the movie where the kid gets his tongue stuck to a lamp pole? Don't your hatbands get cold working on you car?

Welp, headed norte. The carbs on Dos Boat are FUBAR Crappy gas and doesn't get run enough.

Enjoy the weekend Olds friends
Old November 25th, 2017, 04:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Saturday, yay it's morning!

Dan, that's likely the biggest reason. Also the conversion exchange. If I bought at a regular retail tire store the bill would be astronomical.

Jouni, these are 215/55/17 . Your size would be $467 here. Out the door at Costco includes $15/tire to mount and balance, tire levy of $4/tire and tax. So your total would be $570.15. It costs a lot more for larger wheel and lower profile. Good luck with your tear down.

Curling yesterday was really good. We ended up having to do a skips draw to the pin to break a 7-7 tie. The other skip went first and over cooked his rock, ending up in the back 4' ring. My rock settled in right on the pin for the win. It was a tight game and a lot of really good ends. I see John Shuster has qualified to represent USA in the 2018 Winter Olympics. He'll be facing some really tough competition.
Old November 25th, 2017, 05:35 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Frost on the pumpkin today. Hope it warms up. No rain in sight, that's a good thing.

Went and got the blue van yesterday. It's had only one fully functioning brake for years, so I'm finally going to do something about it. On the way over, the right front functioned too well. The flex line wouldn't allow the fluid to release the caliper and boy was it hot when I got home. Three miles. So both flex lines up front, the line that goes over the rear axle, both rear cylinders. We'll see how the linings are when I get the wheels off.

Junkyard today, and I need to go to Walmart, hope the frenzy has died down. But of course, Awful house precedes it all.

Have a good weekend everyone. I sure like this not going to work.
Old November 25th, 2017, 09:04 AM

Got my engine lifted, and teared it down enough to look what it holds.
SMW block, regular cast-crank 0/0. Not bad.

Jamesbo - Ive rented heated garage, been there since i bought my own house.
Next year im planning to work hard enough to pay for own garage to my yard, currently having 15 miles per way to garage. It would be awesome just to walk few steps from your own home door to garage. Thats my plan for next working season!

Allan R - At your size, 648$ for tires, 700$ mounted. Soo... Were at same prices roughly

Just came from sauna. Now beer, and QUALITY rum. Could life be better?
Oh yeah it could be- soon ill get baked potatoes and few good, tasty beefs for dinner!
Old November 25th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jouni & Dan
Just curious about something. Do you guys have tire levy (recycle fee) on tires? Canada has a $4.00/tire levy, which is also taxed for some stupid reason.
Old November 25th, 2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Jouni & Dan
Just curious about something. Do you guys have tire levy (recycle fee) on tires? Canada has a $4.00/tire levy, which is also taxed for some stupid reason.
Yes we do, but its included to price. Dont know what the price would be, just that they inform you that price includes recycling fee.
Old November 25th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Always room for one more

Just got back from the junkyard. You know what I find funny, none of the cars have tire irons. It's like they are purposely removed. No jacks, either. Is there some secret use for factory jacks and tire irons? They certainly aren't much help for what they're originally intended for.

Nothing to write home about this month. I had removed a few parts from a Dodge B van and thought I'd come back to get them, but the whole van is gone, along with my parts. Oh well. The B vans are getting harder to find, they are long out of production and rusted into oblivion.

Gonna go work on the blue van. The Tigermobile needs an oil change as well. Over 60, nice afternoon to do this stuff.
Old November 25th, 2017, 04:06 PM

Allan, we have a $7 charge per tire to recycle them. Went and did a little xmas shopping today, just a couple of things, but I don't have to buy a lot. We have a couple of warm days forecast Mon-Weds, so I am going to use up my last vacation day to mulch up the neighbors oak leaves.
Old November 25th, 2017, 07:10 PM

My Big Reds won the State football title, 28-10 whoo hoo!
Old November 26th, 2017, 06:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning

Yesterday Niklas Edin of Sweden won the men's European curling title for the 4th year in a row. That clinches his berth to the 2018 Winter Olympics representing Sweden. I met him and his team earlier this year at a Grand Slam Curling event and had my picture taken with his team. They're really super guys and very upbeat. Canada's Olympic curling play downs still to come. Thinking maybe Brad Gushue will be the guy from our country.

Dan, congrats. We have thr Grey Cup happening here in Canada today. It's the big football event of the year. Stampeders vs Argonauts. I'm cheering for the stamps.

Jim, you get das boot seaworthy agin? You see the movie of the same name?

Jouni, wash your car. You'll appreciate it more when you see it cleaned up. I don't own expensive cars but they always get maintained and cleaned regularly. Makes them last longer. Nice day here, only -4 currently.
Old November 26th, 2017, 07:15 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful here, but a bit cool and breezy. Got lots of outside work to do today.

Another question for the builders. My Mom's house has a concrete patio in back and I'm looking for something to dress it up a little. I was thinking tile, but that would be slick when it rains. Would it be a bad idea to put wood decking down right over the concrete? Or maybe put down runners and then have a small gap between the concrete and the decking? Any other ideas? I think paint would look weird.

Well best get at it. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old November 26th, 2017, 10:41 AM

mawn'in

Did cha miss me?

Mike, You could shoot slats into the concert with a Hili gun and put 5/4 board decking over it or just paint it.
Old November 26th, 2017, 07:44 PM

Allan, cool that you got a pic with the Swedish curling team. Mike, it's common for people to put decking over their concrete patio, seems to be popular around here, I guess that people are looking for a contemporary look for the back yard.
Old November 27th, 2017, 04:48 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Back to the grind today.

Spent most of the weekend working on the house. Measured out everything for my siding order, put 2 coats of paint in the new porch and got everything formed for concrete on Wednesday.Once thats done I think we'll be ready for siding and then the roof come January I think.

Have a day.
Old November 27th, 2017, 04:50 AM

mawn'in

Chili but spose to goo from 32 to 61 today

As soon as the greens thaw out, I'm gonna go smack whitey around

Mike, Before you start be sure and check the transition from the door [or step down] so you can plan what thickness would work best

Have a great day Olds friends
Old November 27th, 2017, 05:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning,
Light skiff of snow overnight so I really doubt the greens here will be ready till around April or May. Just the right amount for the leaf blower to scoot of the concrete.

Third time lucky? The flooring company is sending their transition guy today since the other two clowns couldn't do it right. This is getting long in the tooth.

Clint, what kind of siding you going with? From the bbq pic I thought you were all done in the porch. It's still warm enough to do concrete there? Nice.

Dan, thanks. It was a real pleasure to meet and chat with them. I really love watching them play too. They'll be back here in April next year to play in the champions cup. Dang that remote start on the Malibu is nice to have.....
Old November 27th, 2017, 07:28 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Nice morning at the Awful house. Saw several people I hadn't in awhile, and no one played the juke box.

Last day off. Man it's going to be tough going back to work tomorrow. Probably a whole different company now since I've been there.

Jamesbo I'm wondering if I should build the deck separate from the patio, and then hinge it so I can get under there for cleaning.

Clint the porch still needs concrete? What color siding?

Need to go get a floor jack. I wanted to lift the front of the blue van up to get the front wheels off, but my little jack doesn't come close to going high enough. I saw a nice one at Summit but that thing was hundreds of dollars. I guess I haven't been in the market for a floor jack for awhile. Maybe I'll get a bumper jack. I'd feel safe working under one of those.

Okay gonna find something fun. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old November 27th, 2017, 10:24 AM

Maybe I'll get a bumper jack. I'd feel safe working under one of those
Sarcasm right?. I have a floor jack that goes to 21" of lift, plenty of local stores (Wal Mart) and auto centers carry them for a reasonable price. can you put a lift at your building out by the...where was it, airport?