The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2017, 12:21 PM
Always room for one more

Well not only is Elsie here but she brought the whole herd. So needless to say it's inside stuff today. Which isn't much.

John you keep making funnies about my new phone. A friend of mine recently gave up his flip open phone and got a new phone. He was telling me how awesome it is and I really need to get one pronto. Look at all the stuff it does. Well, he put the messenger app on it and now all he gets is messages. So many it locks up the phone and he can't receive calls or do anything else. He's so frustrated with it he said he's going back to the flip open phone. Ya I'm in a big hurry to get one of those.

I need an alternator for the wagon. I asked on the forum and made the mistake of playing TMI. Now everyone comments on what doesn't really matter, and I still need an alternator. Who makes a good one these days, NAPA? Any of the cheepie places Autozone, Advance, etc?

Earlier we were out in the back yard and we got a big flash of lightning and lots of thunder. Tiger just stopped and looked up in the sky and then went back to running around. We started getting thunder again and he's sleeping right through it.

Okay back to the afternoon about nothing.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:47 PM

Mike, give Rock Auto a try.
Old April 4th, 2017, 02:19 AM

Good day. It just turned over 12am.

Well, now its official, names on papers. And at monday to work.
I must say im impressed the way it all seems to work at new Company.
And when i was sure my salary per hour would drop ( since my former Company did pay good) i get an 1,70$ increase to it
Happy man. Happy to be at work next monday!!

Cloudy again, but pretty warm ( ye depends who you ask, its 38F currently... )

Have a nice tuesday everyone.
Old April 4th, 2017, 06:25 AM

Mawn'in

Anutter beautiful day to cut ))*&^)&()^&$**^% grass

But 1st, Red has to go get his left ear clean out. It's a little infected

Have a great day Olds friends
Old April 4th, 2017, 06:53 AM
CQR

Mornin.

Snowed. Still Snowing.

People still havent figured out how to drive in it.

Have a day.
Old April 4th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Captain Starfire

Then that's what we'll do

Merinin', all. Really nice in da Swamp this morning. 'Twas 55*F and humidity down a bit, although it's spose to get back to 80* this afternoon. Rains are passed, & there were a couple twisters in next-door St. Tammany Parish yesterday to keep us honest. Don't think anybody was injured.

Clint, it's that reality show about the heavy towing service in Canada that braves the worst snow on the planet to fish tractor-trailers out from the ditches (and worse) on pretty much the most dangerous highway on the continent. Once a gear-nut like me gets a taste, he's hooked for life. Check it out if you can. I started watching it on the Weather Channel, but 5 seasons are now on Netflix.

Thanks, Jamesbo.

Mike, I'm all about controlling my phone -- not my phone controlling me. Unfortunately, the sole objective of a lot of the apps (instant messaging, email, FB, etc.) is to glue you permanently to the diabolical contraption; so you have to do what you need to do and fight back. My nostrils are still breathing air, thank goodness; I'm not underwater yet.... Sometimes, tho', it definitely takes some tweaking. If an app can't be tamed, it's time to ditch it. But it's not the phone's fault... Just need to watch the apps (and yourself ).

See y'all... have a great Tuesday.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; April 4th, 2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old April 4th, 2017, 07:50 AM

Speaking of apps,

I want to invent one that honks the horn in the teens car when the light turns green
Old April 4th, 2017, 11:33 PM

Good Morning. Again rainy, foggy and cold...

Cutlass passed re-inspection, good.

Today i also have an "health-inspection" ( lol whats the correct word? ) they want me to do from new Company. Lets see do i pass..

I want phone-app which lets you only answer or call with phone on car, not text or check your e-mail, Facebook etc

Let me present one link, this is the car i mentioned long ago, now presented on hotrod:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/vip-f...ource=facebook

Have a good wednesday everyone. Sauna day

E: I passed the inspection, now i have 3 years permission to live, or something like that

Last edited by Inline; April 5th, 2017 at 04:31 AM.
Old April 5th, 2017, 04:47 AM
CQR

BBbrrr. Mornin.

Snowed more last night and froze all the crabapple blossoms. (#notsad)

John, I'll have to look into that.

Inline, good luck on the physical. Hope your brakes are adjusted properly.

Have a day.
Old April 5th, 2017, 05:16 AM

Mawn'in

Cut grass all day yesterday, Prettiest day I ever saw. dogwoods blooming

Today, The whole state is under a tornado watch all day long. Typical Atlanta weather, If ya don't like it [or do] stick around a day, It'll change

Mike, I read on FB, this is the anniversary of the worst plane crash in Georgia.

Piedmont went down in New Hope. I used to stomp around the woods up there near Pickettt's Mill [before it became a state park] with my metal detector. Really a bloody battle during the "recent unpleasantness" mini ***** were everywhere before it became off limits

Anyway, I kept 3 bird dogs [pointers] in a kennel just a mile down the road from where the plane went down. The guy that owned the kennel lost some family members [on the ground] when the plane crashed [In a thunderstorm of course]

Well, Have a great day Olds friends
Old April 5th, 2017, 11:00 AM

Last wednesday-sauna involving 9 beers. It was great btw

Oh, ive waited for work beginning. If stars align, i do work more than ever before. And i want that. Im gonna be out of working-life when im 50.
With a house somewhere warm where i can retire

Jamesbo - Dogwood

CQR - "Health inspection" = Physical?
Old April 5th, 2017, 11:20 AM

Inline, It's a beautiful spring flowering tree
Old April 5th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Captain Starfire

Afternoon, all... got up at 3:15 to tote Better Half to el aeropuerto in N.O.
Hardly remember doing it... got back home at 5:30 and crashed until about 7:30... deep sleep + dreams... a glorious 2 hours.

Bachelor for a week. Two brothers & I headed to Middendorf's for fried catfish & soft-shell crabs manana... more glory.

It's gonna' take a week for the ground to dry enough for me to cut the grass; it'll startin' to look like nobody lives here.

Clint, definitely worth a check-out. Spellbinding (to me).

Y'all have a great Humpity, Olds brothers.
Old April 5th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Not much sleep today. The tornado sirens kept going. They'd run for it seemed hours, then shut off, only to start up again. It wasn't that stormy here. We got a lot of rain, but no wind. And it didn't really get all that dark. For awhile this afternoon the sun tried to come out. The second go-round doesn't look like it will extend this far south. I hope everyone fared as well as we did around here.

John hope the Better Half has a safe trip. Funny, I never have to worry about too many texts or runaway apps with my phone

Jamesbo I'll have to look up that plane crash. It seems every crash I hear about is the worst one somewhere. I'd say it's the worst one for the victims. I used to say it would be neat to be in a plane crash as long as I didn't die. Well, I read about survivors of Southern Air that crashed just short of Atlanta in 1971, they've lived a life of nightmares and physical problems. I've since changed my way of thinking.

Clint when I was but a wee one, we had a teacher that had crab apple trees in her yard. Every year she'd take her class over to her house and they'd pick the crab apples and make jelly. That's some good stuff.

Well look at me, I get to be in charge tonight. The workload will be light and everyone goes home early. Uh, maybe not. Hope I do a good job.

Okay have a good Hump Night everyone.
Old April 5th, 2017, 09:53 PM

Happy hump-day everyone!
It was thursday, wasnt it?

Yard-work today. Dad comes tomorrow to stay for a night.
Hmm... Not much else.
That tree looks nice Jamesbo, would like to have spring flowering tree also.Ye, after winter..

Anyways, good day everyone.
Old April 6th, 2017, 02:49 AM

Mawn'in

Well the storms passed and all is well

Inline, Yesterday [Wednesday ] was hump day

Today is Maundy Thursday

Which means it's getting closer to me eating pork again

Mike, I flew back from Cuba via Fort Pierce in a Piper Aztec in a storm once and didn't care for the ride. The pilot [ a friend of a friend] offered to take me up one sunny afternoon. Unfortunately, Before he had the Chance, He was flying a charter in a Queen Air that iced up leaving Baltimore and that was his last flight.

I like boats cause I can swim better than I can fly

BTW, IMHO Dallas is the worst place to fly into, when they abandon the tower because of wind sheers you got problems [See Delta Dallas crash]

Enough about flying [or not]

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old April 6th, 2017, 04:49 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Inline, Yes, We call them Physicals here. and speaking of, My wife 'reminded' me that I'm overdue for mine.

John have a plate full for me today. Yumm.

Mike, I've never found a good use for them. But they are fabulous projectiles when escaping from under the lawn mower.

Jamesbo, Come on up for some 4H sowbelly and fresh from the chute cackleberries.

Well not sure if I mentioned this before on here, but as an adopted child, I decided to see about my roots. So Easter Sunday I'm going to have Dinner with and meet my Birth Mother and half siblings over at my Bio aunts house. Getting really excited about this.

Have a day all.
Old April 6th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all.... True bluebird day today... humidity is under control and temp's in 50s & 60s. 'twill be even cooler tomorrow. Time to do what needs to be done outside. And speaking of which, the to-do list seems to be growing faster than Mama Cass's belly -- before the mythological ham sandwich, anyway. Today, besides meeting the siblings for a good face-stuffing, I'm gonna' try to wash cars, fill holes in road, and hopefully polish out motorcycle paint. We shall see...

Originally Posted by slantflat
It seems every crash I hear about is the worst one somewhere. I'd say it's the worst one for the victims.
Well said, Mike... And BTW, break a leg on the shift tonight... Don't beat the measly plebeians up too bad....

Clint, the Ponchatoula Strawberry Festival starts tomorrow (along with the French Quarter Festival on the opposite side of the lake)... you need to come on down and enjoy all the local victuals.
Come on up for some 4H sowbelly and fresh from the chute cackleberries.
Now if that doesn't sound like Granny Clampet, I ain't never seed an episode of da' Hillbillies. As for the dinner coming up, I don't recall your mentioning that on this board. I wish you all the best, my man! Sounds like an experience you'll treasure forever.

Jamesbo, you know what they say: don't let the left hand know what the right one is doing. I suspect you haven't given up pig at all, but are engaged in some real serious Lenten asceticism. As fer me, not so much... BTW, Maundy Thursday is the same as Holy Thursday, which is next Thursday (my "baby" brother's birthday, BTW).

Y'all have a great one, Olds pals.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; April 6th, 2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old April 6th, 2017, 08:21 AM

Well Jamesbo, you answered my question about the weather in your part of the woods. Good to see that no harm was done. Clint, I hope that it goes well meeting up with your birth mom and siblings.
Old April 6th, 2017, 08:57 AM

John,

Damn another week w/o poke
Old April 6th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Captain Starfire

Arnold Ziffel gets a 1-week reprieve....

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; April 6th, 2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old April 6th, 2017, 09:20 AM

Cutlass standing again. Just disassembled interior plastics from drivers side, since opera window developed a leak to trunk. Was nerve-racking to not broke those brittle plastic parts. Now im quessing do i try to glue that window myself or just drive it to professional window-service. Hmm..
Fiancee also made nice trunk-mat for my Cutlass today. Beats plain steel any day.

CQR - All the best for you, thats all i can say
Old April 6th, 2017, 10:45 AM

Fraid not John,

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...&GRid=14282158

BTW in Georgia this is illegal
Old April 6th, 2017, 12:26 PM
Captain Starfire

What a bummer~! And I was getting ready to send him a 53rd birthday card... Whelpt, I guess I can save the postage, since Mr. Haney prolly poisoned his porcine ****.

Speaking of kicking the bucket, I just heard Don Rickles jumped over to the other side. I always think of him in Muscle Beach Party, along with "Little Stevie Wonder." I have to say I liked him -- a one & only.
Old April 6th, 2017, 12:34 PM

I jes saw that too, I liked him in the movie with Clint Eastwood about the WW II guys robbing the gold out of the bank Donald Sutherland was a hoot. Kelly's hero's [I think was the name of it
Old April 6th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

As Pooh would say, Happy Winds-day. Man the wind has been blowing all day here. Surprised some of my trees haven't come down. Glad, but surprised.

Jamesbo we were talking about the same crash, but I got the date wrong.

CLINT!! My God man. I'm adopted, too, and have been wanting to find my birth mother for a long, long time. I got things narrowed down a few years ago, but didn't have the nerve to go forward. I wish you a great meeting and lasting relationship, if that's what you're after.

John I used to work with a guy that had a big shindig at his place every year. He'd roast a pig in the ground and have stuff do to, always a big turnout. He called it the Arnold Ziffel Fest. Jamesbo what is illegal in Georgia, putting cremains in someone's casket or just a pig.

Last night went fairly well for the benevolent leader. We only had four planes, one of them very heavy, and the storms kept that one in St. Louis. So we waited around, doing little things here and there, until 0230 when the other planes came in and we scrambled to get them all done. We all left right at 5. I hated that I couldn't let the Friday guy go home early. He didn't care. Good guy, good mechanic, very easy going.

And speaking of work, it's Friday for me. Took tomorrow off so I could go to my sister's. Hope tonight is a light one. Even though there are no storms, with this wind if it isn't going the right direction, could still cause problems with the planes.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old April 6th, 2017, 08:02 PM

Morning.

Friday. Last day of freedom. Today i have to burn alot of junk-wood when normal people are at work, so no questions asked

Father visits too, and we heat sauna. Great way to end this short 5 month 1 week vacation

Have a good friday everyone!
Old April 7th, 2017, 02:17 AM

Mawn'in

Chili and dark, So we go from storms on Monday to beautiful sunny 80 on Tuesday to storms on Wednesday to the 40's this morning

Mike, For some stupid reason [ask your state representative] It's illegal to bury animal [pets] ashes in human cemeteries. I was told by a funeral director, people do it all the time Just never ask what's in the box they want to place in the casket. Just say, it's a box of love letters

Clint, I was gonna post Roger Miller on your FB but thought better of it

So Inline, Ya following us with Green Acres wit?

I used to have Pig pull'in about once a year but for some reason have shifted to Low country boils.

Have a GREAT weekend Olds friends
Old April 7th, 2017, 02:24 AM

Not too sure what you sayed ( ), but i assume youre asking am i following along?
Yes, atleast ill try to read this topic every day, but depending on length of days i might write just in weekends. Since i hate typing with touch-screen phone so much, that i really rarely bother to write anything longer than one sentence.

Just finished burning all suspicious trash-wood.
Old April 7th, 2017, 02:32 AM

Inline, We were joking about this old TV show

Old April 7th, 2017, 02:44 AM

50 year old joke
Old April 7th, 2017, 05:10 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo, Roger Miller is on my short list. I posted him up there for you.

Inline, wow! It just hit me that Britney is 50 years old this year. Hard to believe.

John, I could use a little debauchery. Last time we were down in the Quarter, we had our kid with us so we had to be good role models. Isn't it a little early for strawberries?

Mike, I think you should go for it. But I think you have to go into it for the right reasons. I just wanted to thank her for her compassion. If more was to be had, great. But I didn't expect any more. I sent for my original birth certificate in Feb. and received it in March. A little research and I found who I thought was my Mother even tho the names didn't match(I thought she listed a fake name). I found they were going to be manning a fundraiser table at the grocery store, so I went down there with my wife and asked her if she knew someone with the name that was on the cert. She said yes, that was her sister. (not what I expected) Then I asked her if my birth name rang any bells, and she said her sister had dated someone with that name(So I was named after my birth father), at which point I told her that I was originally named "Fathers first and middle and her maiden name, at it took a second, but them her eyes got really big and she started stuttering to her husband who I was. Seems she was in the delivery room (also pregnant at the time with my cousin)when I was born. So luckily it has turned out ok in my case, but I know many times it doesn't. e.g. I did send a card to my Bio father, but have heard nothing. And thats ok. They did the right thing long ago and I'm grateful for that.

Have a Friday.
Old April 7th, 2017, 05:58 AM

Good for you Clint
Old April 7th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all... a mite chili in da' Swamp... 'twas 45 at Zero-Dark. Spose to hit mid 70s, still w/ fairly low humidity. Rare weather down here... Did fill the road holes & did finish the bike yesterday; road turned out great; bike not so good. But I'm not totally shocked; first time I ever put sandpaper to clearcoat; I'm going to re-do it when all my cars are done. So for now, it's good enough for government work.

Inline, I'm guessing you're not familiar with Green Acres since you're a generation (or two?) younger and a continent (or two?) away; but most us geezers grew up watching it, for better or for worse. So it's your day to be a pyromaniac, eh?

Wonderful update, Clint. Congrats. I dated a lady who did what you did about 35 years ago; and my only niece (not by marriage) is adopted. BTW, I don't know most of the folks named up there on your FB page -- although I certainly remember "King of the Road," Roger Miller. (My two brothers & I for some reason got a huge kick out of that tune when it was a hit.) I shoulda' added my 2 cents & put Joni Mitchell up there.

Have a safe trip, Mike.

Jamesbo, I went to see Rodney Dangerfield at the Saenger in the 80s, but never saw Don. I learned yesterday that Ol' Blue Eyes called Don "Bullethead" throughout their now-famous association of about 40 years.

BTW, speaking of deaths, I didn't even recall John Glenn's passing in December. (He was laid to rest in Arlington Cemetary yesterday.) Too bad he had to go into politics. (OK, I'll retract that.) Lord rest both their souls. "The Right Stuff" is one of my all-time fave movies -- sure portrayed him as a true American hero -- probably justifiably so. And it portrayed the news media as the monster that a lot of folks know them as today. Gotta' love Tom Wolfe -- he worked as a newspaper reporter for decades.

OK, enough rambling for one morning. I still have two cars to wash, and maybe a cycle ride later?

Y'all have a great Friday, Olds buddies.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; April 7th, 2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old April 7th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Did okay at work last night. Light planes and home around 4. Almost got 4 hours sleep before Tiger decided it was time to play. Well, it got us up and moving. We're going to hit the Awful house in a minute and then he goes to jail.

Clint, I'd have to say my main motivation initially was curiosity. My brother and sister and I were all adopted and it wasn't a secret, but never spoken about. Everything I learned was by being snoopy. I tracked my birth mother to the Birmingham area, right after I moved to Georgia, so it's been awhile. I have no information about my father. You've inspired me. I'm going to start up the search again and hope I can get closer this time. Neither one of us is getting any younger. You're right, I need to thank her. I haven't done too badly. By the way, your car is one month older than I am.

John all you need to worry about is how the new paint will look at 80. I'm guessing pretty good. I grew up watching Green Acres as well, though by that time it was syndication. That's okay. I still like it. And of course I like Mr. Douglas' Lincoln convertible.

Jamesbo what about animals that aren't cremated?

Okay gonna get out of here. Tiger wants his breakfast burger and I have a long drive this afternoon. Hope everyone has a good weekend and I'll catch you all back here Sunday.

Last edited by slantflat; April 7th, 2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old April 7th, 2017, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat

Jamesbo what about animals that aren't cremated?

Nope not allowed in Gawga for reasons that escape me.

They don't even allow animals and humans to use the same retorts [There's your new word de jour] retort=cremation chamber
Old April 7th, 2017, 02:41 PM

Evening all,

Thanks Jamesbo, I now know more about crematoriums than I knew yesterday.
Beautiful weeks worth of weather in London with the weekend up to mid 70s, Defo not normal for April.

I see that Grand Theft Islam has now launched the Stockholm edition, what a lovely world we live in!

I'm half finished or half started with my artificial grass, so far so good.

Taking the Cutlass on a nice trip down to Southend tomorrow for an oil change and service.
What is the best sized battery for a 455? I would like to put in something with a bit more umph but the battery tray is quite small.

Have a great weekend all
Old April 8th, 2017, 01:10 AM

Good Morning everyone.

Minus degrees outside. Eh... Well, gonna spend time inside then, not that harder.

LondonCutlass - Aint the best sized battery = biggest you can fit to tray? Dunno, ive just always bought batteries with that principle.
About Grand Theft Stockholm- sad. Sweden has been lost. Trump wasnt not too wrong what he stated about Swedens situation before media shot him down. There are no-gone zones at Sweden for Police-forces, companies leaving Malmö, slums at Stockholm etc.
Was just a matter of time.

Anyways, have a good Saturday everyone, and have fun.

Last edited by Inline; April 8th, 2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old April 8th, 2017, 03:52 AM

Mawn'in

A mite chili 38 in the sunny south

London, Funny you should ax. I just bought a 65 series for my Massey Ferguson 135 yesterday. Drop it in and before I could tighten up the poles, hit the key and it cranked. Candidly, I'm not sure I am ever gonna get the sucker back out.

Well, headed norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old April 8th, 2017, 10:01 AM

London, today's batteries are smaller than the ones used 30-40years ago, so finding one to fit shouldn't be a problem. I would go with 750 cold cranking amps for your 455.