The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good mawnin,

What's up,with this weather? 3 days in a row with wind and periods of rain. It's 44 here ( 8 for Jouni and London) but with wind and overcast feels more like 39 (4). Yesterday it was gusting so high I was a bit worried for my oak tree.

Jim - Dats funny. I'd lead em straight to de butchers and have em packaged for de freezer. Why Granny could make some hog jowl vittles...

London - Congrats on the spectacular BD reveal. If you get laid up......

Jouni - Thanks. I couldn't tell you were drinking beer. Enjoy the cottage and weekend with friends. Humpday is for Wednesday. Today is the day of Thor.

Dan - Yes, I have seen them advertised. I bought these ones long before the repros were available. Only thing I need now it the bolts to attach them. I know ILT sells them but I'm sure they're a common thread I can pick up locally from a bolt supply place.

Welp, as Scott usta say, I best be getting cleaned up to go visit wit de boys. Can't believe I might actually have to wear a coat in late June.

Enjoy your day
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, I also noticed a couple details about the repros that are different than OEM.
1. The outside chrome doesnt have the frosted panels on the recessed areas.
2. Part # and casting details only in the top of OEM
3. The emblem rocket on OEM has a very small emboss, whereas repro is pronounced.

For the price and general look, the repros are an option that likely appeals to most buyers.
Clint and I were discussing this, and I'm sure the OEM ones I've got (with gm boxes) would likely sell for serious coin to someone who absolutely needed NOS for their concourse restoration. I just happened to get them at a good time and price over 15 years ago.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 11:16 AM
Captain Starfire

Wow.. swimming pigs! Folla da' dolla, as my friend says. I guess the smell of chlorine beats the usual eau de caca....

Freinds, we have not had near the rain they were predikkin'.... So glad! A few showers, and a lot of drizzles; but it seems our MS Gulf Coast friends really took it on the chin last couple days. Of course, they're not sayin' the chances of rain here are tapering off for days... To put it in a nutshell, they don't have a clue how much rain we'll ultimately get. But today, the sun's out here and it was 93* with humidity almost off the charts. Thought I was in Peru this mornin'.

Wheels look super, Allan... Looks like a labor of love. I brought my thinned out battery tray to my sheetmetal buddy this morning and we'll see what he can do with it. It's so curvy, I know it will take a few hours if can even do it. But it'll be worth it, since it's the only piece that really needs reconstruction.

There was a teencie chin spoiler (for lack of a better term?) on these cars and at some point, mine met up with a parking lot barrier thing; so it's twisted up a bit; but I can straighten that out myself -- along with the lower lip of the driver's side wheel well.

Hopin' it's at least a tad cooler in da' hills...

Stay dry today, Olds pals.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 12:40 PM

Soooooooooooooo, It's too wet to do much and PPPPPP [That is to say one day the garden will dry out and I will need to cultivate between the rows, ]

Sooooooooo, I decided to remove the center tooth from the plow that I've been soaking the bolts for a week, Somehow, I don't think they that thought anyone would wanta take apart their plows. Bolts were painted then rusted in place, Soooooo, I decide to get out the old torch and poured the heat to the rusted bolts. Werked like a charm, got all the bolts out [of the top] then ran out of fuel

Sooooooooooo, Tomorrow being another day and all, I'll drive 5 miles to get some more propane and get the last bolt out of the top then flip it over to remove the feet and start soaking the bolts holding in the feet

And since I already mentioned PPPPPP, When I bought the cultivator feet to put on the teeth where the plow feet were.

I BOUGHT BRAND NEW SHINY BOLTS

So, Today I wrestled with a plow and put a small dent in the overall project

Kinda exciting HUH?
Old June 22nd, 2017, 12:43 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Rain? It's rained non stop since I've been here. Not always hard, but always irritating. It let up just enough this morning for the lawn guy to mow and trim a few trees, and I did some digging of weird things in the front. Looks a lot better now.

Well into the painting. Not getting much done, but getting prepped. The visual progress is much nicer.

London that sounds like quite a trip. Hope your back clears up quick. My back starts hurting after I've been away for a few days. Can't get used to sleeping on a strange bed. Well, how can you beat mine, heated and wavy.

John what are your travel plans these days? Has BH recovered from her trip? You can't get a new battery tray? I can't imagine they'd be different than any other car.

Paul I'm a day in and so far everything is the same. Not sure that it shouldn't be.

Jamesbo put some anti-seize on those new bolts before you put them in. Even if you don't take them apart for years it will still be easier than what you're doing now.

Okay as much fun as it is watching paint dry, I think I'll get into another small project. Have a good day everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; June 22nd, 2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 01:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, PPPPPPPP
Cha gotta know shiny bolts make de plow have less drag...same a principle as shiny cars go faster. I got some spare propane so drop over an pick it up. Or I'll drop by with it an watchu werk. I don't mind havin de manwell labor learn ta watch instead of do.

Sounds like yer in a PPPPPP funk bin der dun dat many times over. Like a good poop, it too shall pass

John - I think they call that piece a valence. Lots of cars that had them ended up rashing or bending them into snow or parking curbs. Good to hear you're not getting visited by the cow.

London - How's your back feeling now? When I play He Man and feel the consequences I usual end up taking robaxacet. Works well for me. Get better soon. The weekend loometh...
Old June 22nd, 2017, 02:31 PM

Inline, Before you ask

PPPPPP Prior planning prevents pi$$ poor performance,

or Plan your work/work your plan
Old June 22nd, 2017, 10:05 PM

Allan, I believe that you are right on the value of your NOS caps, people will pay $$$ for NOS original parts for their resto. The caps that I bought are pretty nice and do have the frosted (silver paint) in he recessed area, though I don't think that it is the same as the original, texture seems to be smoother, but that could be because the originals on my '69, have weathered and aged a bit from exposure on the road. I'll tell ya what though, they are hefty son of a guns, good for a first line of defense to whack someone in the tater with.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 02:36 AM
Captain Starfire

Don't look like anybody can beat Dan for da' worm dis mawnin'...

You being mighty industrious lately, Jamesbo... Be careful, S/M might think you have too much time on your hands and load up the Honeydew list

Mike, I'll email you on our plans. The battery "tray" in the S/F is really just one of the panels that separate the underhood from undercar areas. The one on the opposite side is almost exactly the same, and the squirts reservoir is over there. There's no real tray like the ones most (later?) cars had. The battery hold-down hardware fit right into the panel; so the panel was the first thing to rust when the acid leaked.

One little encouraging thing: I played with both this citrus paint remover and with a heat gun to remove the undercoat from the undersides of the wheel wells and the heat gun seemed to work as good as anything. Now if only I had a 3rd hand to hold it whilst I scraped. I think the jackass (sorry.... just being honest) that had the car before me (who put this undercoat on it just to make it look good in the pictures) also put the undercoat on directly over the road mud and dirt that happened to be in the wheelwells (and on underbelly) at that moment. You'd think somebody who gave a rat's potato might consider hitting it with a pressure washer first. But who knows -- maybe the mud and dirt are actually allowing some of the undercoat to come off more easily?

I still might visit this big powder-coating place about 2 minutes from mi casa and have some of this stuff powder coated. I'd say 50-50 at this point. If things keep going OK cleaning up the parts and painting them, I might stay on the course I'm on.

Y'all have a great Friday, Olds buds.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 29th, 2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 04:56 AM

Mawn'in

Day 2 wrestle with plow feet

Still looks like more rain on the way

If [BIG IF] I get industrious I may weed whack some today

Well gotta go buy some more propane for the torch

Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 23rd, 2017, 10:17 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Still a George Jones classic

"Finally Friday"

I got a hundred dollars smokin' in my billfold
I know I oughta save it but it's burnin' a hole
Right through my pocket and into my skin
Come Monday morning I'll be broke again.

It's finally Friday
I'm free again
I got my motor running for a wild weekend
It's finally Friday
I'm outa' control
Forget the workin' blues
And let the good times roll.

I got a little sugar baby down the road
She's sittin' on a radio and rockin' on roll
We'll dance up a storm and later all night
We'll be workin' on doin' all the wrong things right.

It's finally Friday
I'm free again
It's finally Friday
I'm outa' control
Forget the workin' blues

Monday, I'll be hurtin with my head in a vice
Tuesday, I'll be wonderin' if I'll ever survive
Wednesday and Thursday, I'll be slowly tunin' in
Friday, I'll be revin' up my motor again.

It's finally Friday
I'm free again
It's finally Friday
I'm outa' control
Forget the workin' blues

It's finally Friday
It's finally Friday
Forget the workin' blues
Old June 23rd, 2017, 12:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The video for those who haven't heard it - maybe Jouni??

Old June 23rd, 2017, 12:10 PM

Allan, You sure are energetic for and Ole phart.

Your poem/song wore me out just thinking of those days

It's Friday so I can take a nap early

Little drum roll please.

Plow is now ready to cultivate with new feet

Note to self. NEVER wrestle with rusty bolts your gonna toss in the trash.

Use Sawsall 1st

Zip done

Never even looked at the weed whacker

But there will be plenty of work left to do when I'm gone
Old June 23rd, 2017, 01:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim? I'm not anywhere near as energetic as you think, but you is spot on about bein an Old Phart The magic of cut and paste on de puter is all it takes. I also had de intensive labor wrung outta me wit de keyboard. When I type I jess looks at de screen and de words magically appears. One ov deez days I gots ta learn how ta hunt and peck wit two fingers.

Good job on the plow. Yeah, I'd have just cut em too if I wasn't going to re-use em.

Weed whacker?? Whassat? JK I know it's sumpin ya throw at de weeds and hope dey dont duck....

John - Sounds like a huge job ahead. A tip I got from Rob Young when he did his wheel wells; use oven cleaner and let it soak in the sun for an hour or so. He said it takes off the tar a lot easier. I don't know how he figured that out cuz he wasn't even married.

London and Jouni - You guys ok?

Clint - Have a great race this weekend! Take your helmet cam!

CORCS on a wet Saturday
Old June 23rd, 2017, 02:23 PM

Evening all,

All ok in Londonistan.
The old Back is still giving me a bit of gyp but apart from that life is good.
Spent two hours writing a speech I need to give to the local council next week just so I can get planning permission for my next project.

Went over to my building plot this morning, if you think you've got weeds you ain't seen nothing. Stinging nettles over six feet high and literally thousands of them. I think I will get someone else to do that.

Allan, that videos not just for Jouni, I've never heard it either!

Gonna rest up this weekend and give my Back a chance to get better as I've a really busy week next week, I've got some famous chef whom my wife is friends with on Facebook teaching my kitchen staff a few tricks, I think I might have to hang about around there and see what they come with.

Weather here is so much better with sunny days and mid to low 70s
Old June 23rd, 2017, 09:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Going to the roadeo tomorrow and Sunday... Yup, roadeo. For big equipment.
Old June 24th, 2017, 03:21 AM

Mawn'in

Got finished cutting grass late yesterday afternoon and the skies opened up

Wind and rain blowing sideways

The new bolts on the cultivator may rust before the garden is dry enough to use the stupid thing. I could ran the Troy built tiller to Mars and back by the time I spent fiddle pharting with the cultivator

Headed Norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old June 24th, 2017, 10:45 AM

Another nice day here in pleasantville. Spent the day buying plants and fertilzer for my garden in the school. It's looking like a colour brochure for a garden centre.

Could really do with some of your rain, seems like ages since we've had a good downpour, I'm having to get out the hosepipe every night.

Diet is ok but a bit slow. I'm stuck on minus 23lbs only another 21lb to go before Sept.
Old June 24th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Days one is done. The garage where the event is held houses over 270 buses. The place is high tech with everything. One of the crowd pleasers is a drive through the high pressure wash bay. It uses environmentally friendly scrubbing solution like touch less car washes, and a the water is recycled. Spray pressure can be manually adjusted for the best clean without peeling the paint off the bus body. This one bus got washed at least 20 times before they decided it was clean enough...
The facility is 313,000 sq ft. Another mega garage is being built that is 500,000 sq ft and will hold over 300 buses and will have staff of over 700.

Old June 25th, 2017, 05:16 AM

Afternoon all.

Back from summer-cottage. We had a great time together! Next year again was the plan..

Soo. Lots of text here.
Jamesbo got new shiny bolts to his cultivator, which are going to rust before it dries Thank god changing new bolts was a breeze atleast

Allan R - First time i heard/ seen this video. Thats some big garage for busses

Soo, it just stopped raining. Back to yardwork it seems.. Cya later all,
still some reading to do, you guys wrote so much during this short weekend.
Old June 25th, 2017, 06:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got back a little while ago from Florida. Uneventful trip home. Tiger rode the whole way in the front seat and most of the way with his nose on my leg. I guess he wanted to make sure we stayed together. He did okay at my Mom's house, but he sure was glad to get home. Me too.

It only took me four days to paint a 4ft by 4ft room. Not a fan of those metal closet organizers. I figured that would be the most challenging project so I got that done first.

Hope everyone had a good week. We had a big to-do last night, and also everyone met for brunch this morning at some Irish place. Nice. Now back to normal. Good night everyone.
Old June 26th, 2017, 04:04 AM

Mawn'in

Got home from the hills yesterday in time to now and get the cemetery looking good for this week

Since it's Monday, Guess what?

Mike, Glad tiger likes to travel

Inline, The way It's looking, the crops are gonna be too big/tall to use the cultivator before the garden dries out.With my luck, I wrestle the bushhog off and the cultivator on the Masey Ferguson just in time for snow fall

Clint, How was race day

John, Did ya drown and pigs

Allan, Why do you get invited to such a show

GTG Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good Mawnin,
I'm glad that weekend is over. Lots of hectic activity and it was windy and hot. I have no idea why it continues to be so windy but at least it keeps the bugs and mosquitos away.

The paving crew showed up and some are parked out front waiting to get mobile. Most of em had a looooonnnnnng weekend since they knocked off Wednesday night and just returned. Would be nice to see some fresh asphalt going down.

London - Persevere. I see that many more high rises in Londonistan have been identified with that flammable exterior. That's going to be a huge jib to remove and replace all that. Hopefully no one else becomes a victim. We're scheduled for some boomers and rain tonight and tomorrow. I'll tell the weather witch where ya live...

Jim - I used to be the Senior LRT Instructor for the rail division there. It gave me access to a lot of corporate information and contacts. Have fun whackin whitey

Jouni - It's a very well laid out facility. You would have loved the tour. The other operational garages are overwhelmed with storage issues. Most of the smaller garages are forced to store almost 20% more equipment than hey were designed for. The city is currently doing bus replacement at about 60 units per year. The new buses cost close to $750,000 each. They only have a 17 year life expectancy, but the city extends that to over 25 years because they also have a large body/mechanical rebuild program. Engines get replaced every 350,000 km.

Yard work awaits. Enjoy your day.
Old June 26th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Well I'm impressed. Doesn't take much actually, but....

I opened a small business account with local courier Purolator (UPS in USA). They offered me a 40% discount on all shipping for 12 months. That's handy, especially with packages going to USA.
I just dropped off the first shipment and learned from the staff how to do the waybills on line and schedule pickups. This is just so darned convenient to not have to drive to a drop off location. Best of all the pickup service is free, just for being a customer. Whilst I was there I asked about payment and they said it would be automatically billed to my business account. I can save on the billing by setting up an ebill to my business email which saves a bit of $.

They will even do drop offs of packaging material and waybill holders for no charge. HELLO Purolator. GOODBYE Post Office

The next shipment will be a bigger one. A 1972 Cutlass OEM bumper that has been re-chromed. You don't even want to know what the non business account shipping total would be..

Already up to 78° at noon. Spoda get up close to 90° later. AC will be doing it's thing keeping me cool. Dang wind is drying everything out too much.
Old June 26th, 2017, 12:54 PM

Allan, guess what, it started raining yesterday. It lasted all of ten minutes then the sun came out and within the hour it was dry again!

Spent the morning when the power washer cleaning at the school, not the ideal job when your backs playing up.

Spent the afternoon with my mechanic that's working on my Consul and he's asked me to find a brake fluid reservoir as mine has a number of pinholes and leaks. Not easy to find on a car that's 62 years old. Looked on eBay etc and no luck so it looks like we may to try a refurb.

Allan it's not just in London that they have a problem with the cladding, it's throughout the country and the trouble is that most of these are social housing meant for the poorest part of the population that can least afford to move elsewhere.

Finished writing my speech for the council planning meeting on Thursday, wish me luck!

Warm and sunny again, high 70s, very nice.
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:15 PM

42/45 Not bad for an old fat guy

Came home and cut grass and weed whacked Trying to stay ahead

London, Ya know people are more afraid of giving a speach than dying

Not sure what tomorrow brings
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from Summit/Awful house/Walmart. No Oldsmobiles at any of them.

I mowed as well today, didn't finish but it looks a lot better. Might finish up before work tomorrow.

That's about it. Might post a few more times just to be sure.

Have a good night everyone.
Old June 27th, 2017, 04:45 AM

Mawn'in

I got so much done yesterday, I may do nothing today and then rest

Inline, I hate to ask but what happens to the summer cottage in the winter

Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 27th, 2017, 06:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good Mawnin,

Not really a good Mawnin though. We got hammered with severe weather last night. Tornado type winds, huge hail and torrential rains around 11:00 last night. Plants are all trashed, trees and house are damaged, as is the Sonata. It continues to be cool and windy with more rain forecast later today.

London - You would not want the weather we had last night. What is wrong with nature this year? Clint got hail and damage earlier this year too.

Jim - Ya figger maybe I got time to reseed an start agin? No hope on the perennials that got shredded....sad.

Jouni - A weekend at the cottage sounds good right now.

Going to Costco in a few hours to get the new shoes for the Cutlass. Enjoy your day.
Old June 27th, 2017, 06:36 AM

Allan, I would
Old June 27th, 2017, 08:04 AM

Allan, I hope that the storm damage isn't too severe, glad that it wasn't worse.
Old June 27th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim - Here's the tricky part. There's more severe stuff on the way today and morow. So no point in touching stuff till it's over. I hates TA start over especially wit our shorter gow season, but I am reminded of your efforts and also de varmint problem y'all got, so I'll give it a shot. Oh, flee yer varmints? Get bob Barker to campaign like he did on PIR to,have the varmint population spayed or neutered.

Dan - There's damage to the siding but it's not broken through. Lots of impact marks all over the facing side of the house. That would be an expensive repair even with the house insurance. The sonata will need to be appraised for damage and repair. It has coverage for hail and weather. What's weird is only some parts of the city got all this severe weather, the south half only got strong winds - no rain or hail. That's freakish.
Old June 27th, 2017, 11:58 AM

Ya know every thing that goes around comes around

My mother had a 49 Mercury that ya pushed a button to start
Old June 27th, 2017, 12:25 PM

Just a quick visit.

F******* fed up at the work again. Just complains after complains, no matter what i do.
If i want to make sure its good for once and spend a little extra time for that, its bad???
End of rant.

Jamesbo - Summer-cottage at winter? Usually, they are just unlived during winter-months. Maybe somebody once in a blue moon visits them at winter-time.

Okay, off to bed. Happy tuesday for you guys.
Old June 27th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Yes siree bob, I remember the ol floor start cars an trucks. Nowadays if y'all told some peeps the high beam switch is a floor kick switch they'd also look atcha like your elevator din't reech de top floor For that matter, it's gettin so bad that some peeps don't even know that keys were used to open doors, trunks and ignition. Lots of the newer gen are so used to starting their cars wit an app or pressing the ON button on the dash. Progress or Regress??

EDIT: I just got the new shoes for the Cutlass back from Costco. Still have to beautify them with their trim. I can't believe the peeps in the tire shop didn't put in new valve stems. I looked and almost choked. Good thing I was still there. They said they thought I wanted to keep them because they had paint on them. DUHHHH. Those stems were 30 years old, so no thankee. They changed em out while I waited.
Old June 27th, 2017, 02:27 PM

Well, the weather has certainly changed today, it's been raining for the last six hours and the temperature has dropped to the high 60s, great for my plants in my garden. We don't tend to get the extremes of weather that some of you lot get, bit boring really.

Jamesbo. I actually quite enjoy public speaking, holds no fear for me, but then again I have got up on stage and sung to over a thousand people before.

Inline, I hope you have a better day at work tomorrow.
Old June 27th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

First night back after being off ten. Hope they go easy on me. No clue what to expect. The company could have changed several times since I've been gone.

London what did you sing?

Finished my mowing this afternoon. If I'm ambitious some time this week I'll go out and trim. A buddy of mine is coming in a couple weeks to work on cars. The place needs to look half way decent. He's only staying the weekend, though he could stay a year and we wouldn't be caught up.

Sunny and not too hot today. Not supposed to rain again until Friday. That figures, just in time for me to be off work again.

Okay off I go. Hope I don't need to be retrained. Have a good evening everyone.
Old June 27th, 2017, 09:11 PM

And I remember a few cars that we had to push to start!
Old June 28th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good mawnin

Wth? This is de worm today? Shocked I tell ya. Is everyone ok?

London - Were still in the rain zone and temps struggle to reach 19. Lots of wind too. Worse than a political convention.

Maybe me and de missus will head out for a dinner theatre production of Grease 2 tonight. We saw the first one and it was awesome.
Old June 28th, 2017, 09:32 AM

Mawn'in

Sorry, I had to sneak out and play 18

London, I'm betting your a tenor and sang Nessun Dorma