The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2016, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by CQR

Been reading my congressmans fb page and its bringing me down.
That's gotta be like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer

" It feels so good when you stop"
Old January 13th, 2016, 09:43 AM

Well, not much going on here, made an appointment to get the DD brakes looked at. The *** end keeps trying to pass the front end!! No fun. I am thinking that a caliper is sticking on the rear, or maybe the E brake. I would like to get this resolved before driving 200 miles on slick roads to Detroit next week for the car show. The plows just came by again....a mere 1" had fallen overnight, I guess that's better than never doing it.
Old January 13th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Captain Starfire

Happity Humpity

Last night's telecast would sure have been a ball-peen, Jamesbo. Oooops! I dare not start, nor did I start to watch.

Those quesadillas sound scrumptious. I'd have to make 'em for myself, 'cause better half has this weird thing about anything fruity or even sweet in her food. Can't figger it out, so I just takes it at face value. Like with many things, it's not really the taste, it's just the idea. Only person I know who hates anything to do with an apple (including pie), and won't come within 10 feet of any type of fruit jelly, preserves, or jam. As I said, just face value.

Clint, you must be tanning lately. Don't let the Ba$turdz get you down. Re: the berries, I hope so too. But anything I make will be lagniappe. Last year, the bush looked like a bradford pear it had so many blossoms; but it made about 4 berries. Maybe we need better cross-pollination? I have two bushes, side by side. Prolly should plant more, and of a different variety.

Whelpt, let me get at 'em....
Old January 13th, 2016, 10:56 AM

John, I can't beleive ya watch dat $hit

I'm gonna sit by for you and Clint and dial 91 and keep my finger on de next 1 jes in case y'all need to go to de ER. Life's too short, I recommend Law and Order Mariska is a hotie
Old January 13th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Captain Starfire

Jamesbo, that was da' pernt: I didn't. (Prolly didn't make myseff clear 'nuff...)
Old January 13th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cold as a mother last night. About 20, wind, not fun. Not going to be as cold tonight, around 30 I think, still not good.

Clint I've never seen an A body wagon in the junkyard. There's a few guys on the forum here parting out Vista Cruisers, none of them have a tank that's any good?

Okay gotta leave a little early tonight and stop by the gas station. Have a good Humpity night everyone.
Old January 13th, 2016, 08:24 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Thanks for all the condolences, its been a tough few days. I still find it amazing that he was fine up until I showed up. It's like he held out until I came to see him. I really miss him.

Yes I agree about last night's address. I watched it for about 10 minutes and had to turn it off due to getting stomach sick and potentially throwing up, lol.

Dan - car show in Detroit in January? Wow you all are die hards there! Have to wait another 3 months here before any spring dust offs.

Clint - that's funny! It was such a great show, too bad its never on tv anymore.
Old January 13th, 2016, 08:53 PM

Dan - car show in Detroit in January?
N.A.I.A.S., new and future cars. I believe that they have one in N.Y. also.
Old January 14th, 2016, 04:55 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Darrell I don't think its very PC so I'm not sure it'll ever make a comeback.

Mike, I have 2blu442 looking for one. but he's a bit under the weather right now. I found one in Alaska but I can't imagine what truck freight would cost.

I spose I better get to work since I'm landlocked and obviously my ship didn't come in last night.

Have a Day all.
Old January 14th, 2016, 05:19 AM

Mawn'in all

Cold and clear wit Elsie on de way tomorrow

John, De quesadillas were a big hit. I think ham and pineapple is a southern thing. I like the pineapple browned before assembly. Ya can also do it in a toasted sandwich. Which is the original way I 1st had it in Holland.

Non political ISIS question. Dis mawn'in I see they hit Indonesia. WTF is the point of trying to pi$$ the whole world?

Well last nite I couldn't find the remote and for reasons I don't fully understand the TV was on a channel about rappers. I was too lazy to get up and turn de sucker off. I now know more than I care to about Kids n play

Well have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old January 14th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', all you early-bird worm-eaters, and g'day to those who'll be here later. Not quite the frost on today's pumpkin; Elsie workin' her way up here from Gulf, and we'll be inundated tonite & tomorrow, supposedly. Then a cooler weekend.

Clint & Darrel, I think Spankie has finally gone the way of Amos & Andy, and Song of the South (one of the best Disney movies, IMHO). BTW, I won't be "in that number" lining up to see our illustrious Commander-in-Chief in Baton Rouge today.

Glad the quesadillas were as good as you hoped, Jamesbo. I made some red beans in the slow cooker with a ham bone the size of a Bronto Rib... not bad, I must say.

Have a great one, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 14th, 2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old January 14th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home a little early this morning, first time in awhile. Friday tonight, hope it's a good one.

Nice here today, not quite as cold tonight, but we'll see what it's like outside on the ramp with the wind blowing. Wasn't I supposed to be retired right now?

Clint if that's the last one I'll fly up there and bring it back as my carry-on. That won't raise any eyebrows.

Jamesbo we can only hope that the law of diminishing returns kicks in soon. They will finally pi$$ off the wrong country and get themselves blown to smithereens. We should be the wrong country, oops that gets political.

Okay off I go. Have a good night everyone.
Old January 15th, 2016, 04:45 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Wow, Looks like its a bad year to be famous, 69, and battling cancer.

Mike, Great way to help out. Let me know when you'll be flying over so I can look for an air mail parachute.

John, I think I'd rather have a root canal.

Well I bought another ATV. The guy is bringing it to town tomorrow. I wonder what it looks like? And better yet, I wonder what I'm gonna do with it?

Have a Friday all.
Old January 15th, 2016, 05:24 AM

Mawn'in all

Like a cow on a flat rock ere

Lasagna and a ensalade las nite not too bad

Try'in to figger out what today brings

a] build an ark

b] go to de grocery store and cook sum comfort food

Stand by, I'll let cha know
Old January 15th, 2016, 08:27 AM

Well, got he car looked at this morning, they pulled the wheels, checked the brakes and suspension, and drove it around....nothing, so for a piece of mind I ordered two new tires for the rear, they'll be in this afternoon, and I have a 9am appt. tomorrow to have them mounted, the tires are being done at another business, family owned for 75+ years.

Last edited by 1969w3155; January 15th, 2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old January 15th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Spent the first half of the night unclogging floor drains, and then sat around until 5. That's okay. Got home early and got to sleep. Rain just started when I was leaving work, full out pouring by the time I got home. Been raining all morning.

Clint one time when I worked on the ramp I unloaded a full quarter panel for a '56 Oldsmobile. Don't remember where it was coming from, but I remember thinking it had transferred at least once. Not dented up which was surprising. They don't call us bag smashers for nothing.

Jamesbo if I were you I'd do nothing then rest.

Dan is this for the Saturn? My Mom's car has the original tires on it, so they are 8 years old. She has the oil changed at the Chevy place and every time they tell her she needs tires. I told her in the spring we'd see how they look, the car is at about 34K and they look good. The little counter in the car says her average speed is 19. No high speed blowouts for her.

Got a couple errands to run today then it's find some dry firewood and stay in. The rain is supposed to leave but everything will be a muddy mess. Terrific. Have a good Friday everyone.
Old January 15th, 2016, 09:43 AM

Dan is this for the Saturn?
Yes, Mike it is, I had the fronts replaced in early December, they are Continentals, but are a newer design and have more grip (better ratings at the Tire Rack), and I am thinking with the front tires having more grip, that may be my problem. It happened when I first had my first set of Conti's mounted, even though the Goodyears on the rear had a lot of tread left on them, they just did not have the grip of the Conti's, and the *** end would slide out on slick roads, I am guessing that is the problem again after having everything else checked out. I believe that the tires on your moms car have aged out, hence the shop wanting to replace them despite good tread. Tires are now date coded, so they probably checked that.
Old January 15th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Always room for one more

I looked at the dates when I was there last. They were 36th week of 07. She bought the car in January 08. I know they are getting on but I'm certain the dealer was trying to scare her into new tires. Luckily Mom listened to my opinion about the tires and put the dealer off. She likes this car and wants to keep it, so I'll start looking at tires and that might be one of the things I spend my profit sharing money on. I told her a new car comes with new tires for free. Nope.
Old January 15th, 2016, 08:10 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. 51 today and mostly sunny. I ordered garage doors in November and they finally arrived. Will have to race and put them in over the weekend before the temps are cut in half. They have a high insulation factor so they should do a better job keeping me warm.

Jamesbo - I would go with choice B. Far less work and more enjoyable to do. I agree about Isis, I'm not sure what their end game is or even if they know.

Dan/Mike - I have noticed that when my tires get older they still look good but they start to harden and the traction is less. The tires on my Olds are from 02 so it is a priority to do it over the next couple months.

I'm either going to go with white letters (Radial T/A's) or blackwalls. I decided against the red lines. I have 14's on the car now, but I have a set of 15"Olds Rallye wheels too. Is there any advantage going up one rim size?

Would love to go to 17" or 18" but I don't think that's in the cards right now. I'm not big on aftermarket rims but I like the rims Aces (on this forum) has on his car.

Welp, heading off to bed, have a good night all.
Old January 15th, 2016, 09:04 PM

Darrell, about the only advantage of going to a 15" wheel is a better selection of tires, as 14" white letter are getting scarce in most sizes, but 15" aren't far behind.
Old January 16th, 2016, 05:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Foggy and sunny, all at the same time. Looks like it might be a nice day.

Darrell if you can't find 14" tires you like locally, check out tires-easy.com . They have a few more than a shop normally would. Last time I looked, the tire place could only get BFG's and I think Firehawks in Cutlass size 14". I can't believe there aren't enough cars with this size wheel to be profitable for tire makers.

Time for the Awful house and then I don't know what. Maybe it will dry up a little and I can go to the shop and do something. We've had so much rain it's like a swamp over there, I don't want to get anything stuck.

Have a good Saturday everyone.
Old January 16th, 2016, 10:31 AM

mawn'in

So, I sit around all week and not one call, I go to de mountains an as soon as I walk in the door Ring-a-ding from a family

This business is gonna drive me tto drink and it's a short trip
Old January 17th, 2016, 06:49 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Awful house and back already. Nice day out, a little cool, and still wet and muddy, but the sun shining helps immensely.

Last day off, gotta make it count. Have a good one everyone.
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:18 AM

Blue bird day in de mountains
Old January 17th, 2016, 05:29 PM

I think that our Blue birds flew down to your mountains to keep from freezing. 45° at the Denver game today, 12° here, that doesn't make sense. Took the scenic route home today from work to avoid the highway with all of the blowing snow, had to detour about 3/4's of the way home due to an accident, and of course the detour took me back to the highway! Arrived home about 20 minutes later than normal.
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:12 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Well, I replaced both garage doors yesterday. It was 50 and sunny so nice weather to do it in. A good thing since we got 1" of snow and it was 15 degrees colder today and no more warm weather in sight.

All the Christmas decorations finally came down today. Kids were disappointed of course.

The Steelers lost after leading most of the game, really disappointing. Guess I will have to root for Peyton Manning at this point since my team is now out of it.

Dan/Mike - Thanks. I checked and can still get Radial T/A's from Summit in 14" size, so I will get them again. No need to use the set of 15" Olds Rallye wheels I also have since I would have to pay for sand blasting and painting on top of the tire cost.
Old January 18th, 2016, 04:41 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Darrell, if you keep the overall height and increase the rim size your aspect ratio will be lower giving slightly less sidewall roll. So it will handle slightly better in the corners.

Mike the bad part is the EPA won't allow shipment of a used fuel tank except for trucking. I can't imagine what that would cost?

Got the ATV. Ugh. well, Now I have something to clean up, disassemble and part out. More of a basket case than I thought.

Have a Monday all.
Old January 18th, 2016, 05:19 AM

Mawn'in all

Cold as a brass bra in Alaska

I fear I may never play golf again.

Clint, Sorry de basket case didn't turn out to be a diamond in the ruff.
But my grand pa used to say, "If ya get a bargain, ya may get syphilis "

Since I dear friend Sandy isn't with us dis mawn'in. let me take de opportunity to say I HATE THE COLD
Old January 18th, 2016, 07:02 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Howdy all Quick check in...

Yup it's cold Jamesbo At least the wind has subsided for now. I wouldn't mind the cold if the wind wouldn't blow.

Whelp GTG TTFN

Stay wram as Jamesbo would say
Old January 18th, 2016, 11:19 AM

Had to share
Old January 18th, 2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Since I dear friend Sandy isn't with us dis mawn'in. let me take de opportunity to say I HATE THE COLD

You forgot Jim she also hated the 4 letter word.. SNOW..
Old January 18th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cold as a mother out, and windy. Howdy Jeff. You're right, snow is a four letter word, so it should be spelled the Jamesbo way: $now.

I thought I was golden when I found out my neighbors' son was moving to Savannah. No more POS dog to visit and disrupt my dogs. Nope. They can't be bothered to have the dog around while they are in the process of relocating, so the frickin' dog is here for two weeks. I don't want to bad mouth my neighbor because she takes really good care of me, but she's not considerate when that dog is here and that's a gigantic fail.

Yesterday I was out in the back yard and the dogs were with me, and they were running back and forth with the other dog. I thought, as long as I'm out here it won't hurt them to get some exercise and fresh air. Well, after a few minutes my boy was hurting so we went in. My girl not so much but it was noticeable. They aren't spring chickens. Last night he could hardly walk and slept on my bed all evening. When I went to bed at two, they were both up there and I got a little corner. It was this way until around 10 when they finally decided they wanted breakfast. After that I got back into bed and had it to myself until around two when I got up. The heat from the bed helped them a lot, they are pretty much back to normal already.

Clint it's odd that the EPA won't allow that, if it's empty what difference would it make. I would think that whoever presides over interstate commerce would not allow it because there could be fumes that would ignite. Ya I know, the bottom line is you just can't do it. I wouldn't have guessed that the regular wagon and the VC would have different tanks.

Darrell one of the things I like to do best is buy tires. Don't know why. Even the wrecks that I drive look great with new tires.

Okay gonna get ready for work then hit the gas station on the way. Night number one is upon us, no holiday for me. Actually Milk Day is one of our holidays, I'll use it some other time. Hope everyone has a good short week.
Old January 18th, 2016, 08:40 PM

Jamesbo, in reference to the Detroit humor above (it's funny), When I go to the Detroit auto show, I leave early about 7am for the three hour drive, I have friends who ask "why do you go so early, it runs until 10pm?" I get there early so I can leave early, I don't want to be there in the late afternoon, let alone into the night. They have had problems in the past with gangs, and it happens in the late afternoon/evening, I would guess it's because they ain't early risers.
Old January 19th, 2016, 03:17 AM

Worm, well maybe if it were 50 degrees warmer. Off to the show in a few.
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:49 AM

Mawn'in all

Colder dan yesterday [teens] but clear skies

Never been to DE troit and don't plan to. I'm want'in de Keys pretty bad[ly]

Mike, FYI de wagon tanks are on de rear side not de bottom. So ya can have a storage thingy compartment I guess. BTW The spare is on the opposide side of the rear quarter and is a PITA to get to

Welp, GTG have a family coming today

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old January 19th, 2016, 01:59 PM
MOTORHEAD

Good afternoon
Old January 19th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone. And good afternoon to you 11971four4two.

Cold as a mother, again, didn't even make 40 here in the Greater Stockbridge Area. Worked mostly inside last night, but that little bit being outside was biting.

Thanks Jamesbo. I actually knew that, as I have a wagon myself. In fact I've been working on it here and there the past few days. Going to Year One on Thursday to get a master cylinder rebuild kit and a disc brake hold off valve. I have no idea what a disc brake hold off valve is, but it must be important because it costs 105 bucks.

Dan hope the show was a good one today. I'm planning on going to the Chicago Auto Show in February, if I can figure out how to get from the airport to the southside without taking multiple busses and walking several blocks between them.

Rain coming tomorrow, so it will warm up a little, but it will still be cold. Cold with rain is worse than snow. Though at least you don't have to shovel rain.

Okay night #2. Got home early this morning, hope that continues. Have a good night everyone.
Old January 20th, 2016, 04:27 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Have a humpday.
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:45 AM

Mawn'in all

Yep,

I'm agreeing with Mike, cold+ rains = dank and it's worst dan snow

Mike, Sorry to pass on de obvious but I had forgotten [or never knew] ya had a wagon

We could start a new game. "What cars does Mike not have" ??

How about a Hudson Hornet?

Ya know what's cool about FB? If ya click on an add, They think ya can afford it. LL Bean is one thing but now, I get pop ups fer a Testarossa and private jet flights
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Captain Starfire

Kwik' "G'mernin".

Dropped off better half @ airport for Peoria this morning. She's just getting over a nasty cold, and I awoke w/ a sore throat -- so she just basically passed it on to yours truly. But I can't complain, as it's been quite a while since I've had one. Think I'll hit the Emergen-C.

Speaking of Testarossas that none of us have, there's a big story all over the news today in N.O. about the contractor who was slated (but bowed out) to remove/move the Confederate monuments from the streets of the city. His $200k Lamborghini got torched! Not that there are haters out there -- on both sides. But 'nuff 'bout dat.

Mild temps here in da' Swamp today & manana, with Elsie headed our way manana, then plummeting mercury before weekend. Same ol', same ol'.

Y'all have a great Humpity, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 20th, 2016 at 08:16 AM.