The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2011, 11:47 AM

[quote=cutlassgal;271431

Jamesbo.....

I want my sig pic back. [/quote]

First ya gotta promise not to call me and Alan a -----ever again.
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Cutlass Lover

Well I guess I'll have to live without it then, lol!!! Can't make a promise I can't keep!! My whole photobucket site is "being maintenanced" or something. I can't even look at my albums on it.
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:31 PM

Sandy,

Remember 150 years ago today
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Good day all

It sure will me nice when things get back to normal around here. A good friend of mine who also works for me started feeling sick yesterday, cold sweats, light headed, and chest pains. Another fellow (also a good friend) on the job site got concerned and call 9-11. To summarize, at the hospital they did tests and discovered a tear on his aortic arch (main blood supply from the heart to the body) they did emergency surgery last night and put a graft on the tear. He came through the surgery well and is now on the long road to recovery. The friend on the job site saved his life with quick thinking. Remember guys don't try to tough it out 911 is your life saver as are the people around you who are quick to react to this type of emergency.

I will be out of town for several days starting next week running this project while Bill recovers.

Pat
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
First ya gotta promise not to call me and Alan a -----ever again.
Jamsbo are you picking on Sandy? poor thing
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Cutlass Lover

It's ok Citcapp.... I pick back, lol!!

Jamesbo.... I wasn't around 150 years ago, were you???? I have no clue what you're talkin bout......

Citcapp... sorry to hear about your friend, but how fortunate they found the problem quickly and were able to fix it. I wonder what causes a tear? I've never heard of that one. Wishing him a speedy recovery!! You take care of yourself too and don't get stressed!
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Registered

Sandy,

Remember 150 years ago today

I'll give you a hint Sandy.

What happened at the conclusion of what started 150 years ago is remembered daily and to the minute down south because it's seared into the collective southern memory instinctually by birth.
They'll never get over it, just like the Brits/Canadians will never get over losing the colonies, we just sit here quietly between them taking their constant abuse with a winning smile on our faces.

Last edited by Bluevista; April 12th, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal

Jamesbo.... I wasn't around 150 years ago, were you???? I have no clue what you're talkin bout......
Sandy,

Nope, I wasn't but my great grandpappy was in change of "tourism" at a place called Andersonville.

FYI,

Today is Fort Sumter Day. When we's guys decide to lob a few thousand canon ***** onto Fort Sumter to tell you wonderful folk [who can spell Zamboni w/o look'in it up] not to tell us what to do nor how to do it.

Unfortunately, we didn't do a very good job an ended up with the Fed tell'in us how to do everything.

Blue,

I appologize in advance, Cause IMHO, you think I bring this 150 year old subejct up too much. Please understand it was drilled into our brains by our grand parents [whose parents lived thru difficult time]

In 1961 [when I was a pup] the 100 anniversary was a BIG deal.
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:26 PM

Typed slowly again

Blue,

If ya go to the battle sites in place like Vickburg, Gettsburg. You will see Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin did more than there parts and unfortunately paid the great price to preserve the Union.

Once again, I appologize, it was fed to us like grits.

Please understand, I have " malice toward none"
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:52 PM

If ya go to the battle sites in place like Vickburg, Gettsburg. You will see Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin did more than there parts and unfortunately paid the great price to preserve the Union.
!st, 5th, 6th & 7th Michigan Cavalry and George Armstrog Custer saved the Union at Gettysburg.
Higgin
Old April 12th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

I want my sig pic back.
Your sig picture will come back when Teepo returns home!

P.S. Note my sig picture
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Jamesbo, several years ago my Trophy Wife and I took a meandering trip up north from our home (at that time) near Tampa.

Being a NASCAR follower for about 55 years, I absolutely had to visit the biggest, baddest, track-- "Talledega." Wow! Seeing it on TV doesn't do the place justice. They have a huge museum of race cars and other good stuff. I took a little guided tour of the place and the driver of the large van drove out onto the track and we went down to the finish line. The guide said he couldn't go onto the high banked turns because if the speed dropped below 45 MPH, the van would slide all the way to the bottom of the track. He said their insurance prevented taking tours onto the banked portions of the track.

We then headed down to Hattie and over to Natchez to see the plantations. We spent 2 days doing tours. Really magnificent homes!

I had been to several War Between the States cemeteries, but not to Vicksburg. We drove north to the battlefield and spent about five hours in the cemetery. As we drove the long loop through the monuments, we both began to cry. 17,000 soldiers are buried there. So many kids lost in this one battle. I found the monuments to a Florida regiment from near to where I was born. We parked the van and walked between the graves. So many were 15 and 16 years old. We cried some more. Then we found a regiment from Sandusky, Ohio, the TW's birthplace. She found some graves that could have ancestors of people she knows. This was a day that I'll NEVER forget. Every American should see Vicksburg during their lifetime.

Yes, Jamesbo, I had a mammy-- Daisy May Fletcher. I loved her until the day she died.

--Don
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:29 AM

Mawn'in all

I thnk battle field tours should be required for all school children.

Arhnem Bridge, Bastogne, Malmedy,Normandy, Pearl Harbor, Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Chicamauga, are all very moving experiences for me. Pont du hoc still has me scratching my head trying to figure out how they did it.

I've said this before here, but I think it's worth mentioning again. I had an uncle who was on the first wave ashore June 6th that Omaha Beach.. He returned home raised a family, had a good job, loved to play golf, but absolutely refused to go to the beach. No sand, waves, and water ever again.He died at 84.

IMHO Americans just don't appreciate the enormous sacrifices made.

In Holland the school children plant flowers at the graves of British fallen during the battle at Arhnem.

And in Saint Mere Eglise a statue of John Steele still hangs from the church bell thower where his paparcute got caught.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO-kB--T12Y
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

A crisp 40 degrees out here this morning with some sun! Supposed to be in the 50's later, 60's tomorrow. Won't talk about the weekend.

Jamesbo.... You're traumatized for life, lol! Just kidding. Seriously, I forgot it was the war anniversary yesterday. I don't mind ya bringing it up. It's history! My mom, being from West Virginia, used to tell us a lot of history stories. I enjoyed them. I would like to go to Gettysburg and Vicksburg one day. I also want to see some southern plantation homes like Don did!! That's why I want to go to N'awlins and Louisiana and down that way one day. Spring or fall. Not when the humidity is a million degrees, lol!

I put my Easter decorations out last evening. I walked around the yard - I might have 4 tulips that haven't been chomped off yet. I hate deer. They've pretty much ate the rest of the tulips. I have to take some Irish Spring soap out tonight and throw around the ones they haven't ate yet. Ba*tards!!!!! The Bleeding Hearts and Peonies are coming up. Lilac bushes have tiny little lilacs on em!! Hope they don't freeze this weekend. I need to get my green beans & peppers started in those little things again. Maybe I should try some Peas this year??? I don't know. Wish I could have a garden. I'd have a hard time keeping up with everything, though.

Well have a great day all!!
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Cutlass Lover

I'm about tired of this!!!!

Photobucket Site Maintenance

Sorry for the inconvenience. We're in the middle of resolving an issue that affects a small percentage of our users. Rest assured your photos are safe, and we're working hard to get it fixed ASAP.

The estimated time to get this completed is approximately the end of today (04/12/11), 11 pm EDT. We apologize sincerely for the error, and we understand the problems this creates.

Old April 13th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Sandy,

Is FREE! You get what you pay for!

--Don
Old April 13th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Cutlass Lover

Thanks for reminding me, Don!!!!!
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:00 AM

Morning all. Looks like we're in for a ton of snow tomorrow. About 8". It was about 65 on the weekend and now more snow. They say it will all be gone by Sunday, but really! Won't be cleaning the engine bay this weekend. Remember, this travels east, so some of you may get this too.
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by 442much
morning all. Looks like we're in for a ton of snow tomorrow. About 8". It was about 65 on the weekend and now more snow. They say it will all be gone by sunday, but really! Won't be cleaning the engine bay this weekend. Remember, this travels east, so some of you may get this too.
Holy Crap!
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by 442much
Morning all. Looks like we're in for a ton of snow tomorrow. About 8". It was about 65 on the weekend and now more snow. They say it will all be gone by Sunday, but really! Won't be cleaning the engine bay this weekend. Remember, this travels east, so some of you may get this too.
Ken, Don't you dare send that CRAP to Toronto, you guys can keep it
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Cutlass Lover

They said we could have rain mixed with snow this weekend. Is it ever gonna friggin end already???????
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:30 AM

Hummmmmmm,

I see we've gone full circle, pickles/ the smell of horses/ wars/ snow
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Cutlass Lover

You make me laugh, Jamesbo!! It doesn't take us long, does it??

I went out for a nice walk! It's windy, but the sun feels soooo good! It's 54 degrees out there now. Nice! Think I'll take Teepo for a jaunt tonight when I get home, before I have to take her to Don's tomorrow evening. Probably won't see her for 3 weeks or so, knowing them. I hope they can put a new exhaust system under her without breaking anything - it's pretty rusty... I haven't had her running since week before last, so I'll see how the steam wisps are doing now, lol!!
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:53 AM

Talking

I thnk battle field tours should be required for all school children.

Arhnem Bridge, Bastogne, Malmedy,Normandy, Pearl Harbor, Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Chicamauga, are all very moving experiences for me. Pont du hoc still has me scratching my head trying to figure out how they did it.

I've said this before here, but I think it's worth mentioning again. I had an uncle who was on the first wave ashore June 6th that Omaha Beach.. He returned home raised a family, had a good job, loved to play golf, but absolutely refused to go to the beach. No sand, waves, and water ever again.He died at 84.

IMHO Americans just don't appreciate the enormous sacrifices made.

In Holland the school children plant flowers at the graves of British fallen during the battle at Arhnem.

And in Saint Mere Eglise a statue of John Steele still hangs from the church bell thower where his paparcute got caught.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO-kB--T12Y
You're right Jamesbo. I think it's because we didn't experience it. When I went to Holland I walked into a bar that had a Canadian flag on the wall behind the bar. When I asked about it the bartender looked at me suspiciously and asked "Why? Are you Canadian?" I answered and then he shouted "HeHey" said something in Dutch and gave me a drink. He added that Canadians never pay for the first drink in his bar.

Apparently he was a little boy when Canadian troops liberated his town and when one soldier, Pvt. Leo Major (Canada's Audey Murphy) liberated a town (Zwolle) by himself and brought 93 Germans back as prisioner.

I guess they are really grateful. We've never experienced an occupation in our country and in the Southern US case, no living person was alive then.

I agree, that there should be visits and more of this taught in school. I only heard of Leo Major when I saw a documentary on him just after he died in 2008. It's a shame. Most Canadians probably don't know of him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Major

http://heroworkshop.wordpress.com/20...ajor-has-died/
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Interesting Ken,

I did a little more reading on Zwolle and Leo Majors. Thanks, I've never been there. I did drive the road [ a la "A Bridge too Far"] from Einhoven all the way to Arhnem Bridge while I was there. Monty's "Operation Market Garden" was a complete disaster.

In Normandy EVERYONE was a nice to this ole American as they could possibly be. I was taking pics of some flowers along one of those narrow streets and the owners actually invited me into their house.

Like a moron, I ran out of film on my way to the cemetery at Normandy and thought, " I'll just get some there." [and a coke and sum cotton candy if it's like most places in the U.S.] I was shocked at how quiet and respectful it was. I didn't hear a word from anyone for hours.

When I asked for directions to Point du hoc. This kind gentlman actually tried to help me pronounce it correctly. Cause we talk a little funny ya know?
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Jamesbo - Andersonville is good stuff...we went there while I was in flight school at Ft. Rucker AL. It was a required trip for OBC and was well worth the bus ride from AL. It's cool that your grandfather was a curator...wish I had that kind of access to a Confederate POW camp. I couldn't believe how the Union troops had to live in that place. Such a rough life.
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Jamesbo - Andersonville is good stuff...we went there while I was in flight school at Ft. Rucker AL. It was a required trip for OBC and was well worth the bus ride from AL. It's cool that your grandfather was a curator...wish I had that kind of access to a Confederate POW camp. I couldn't believe how the Union troops had to live in that place. Such a rough life.
That's total B.S. [and my rather poor attempt at humor/scarcism]

Wertz was in charge and IMHO didn't have squat to do squat with. He was tried and executed for how he ran the place. I'm sure it was Hell on Earth, But, I don't beleive he had the ability to improve conditons given the shortages in the south at the time.

The true only conection my family has to that place is a newspaper article in my grandmother's trunk that she saved [for unknown reasons] of the death of the lawyer who tried to defend him.

The debate of Wertz's guilt will remain a subject of debate forever.I spose
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Sandy. I fixed your sig pix!

--Don
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:31 PM

Interesting Ken,

I did a little more reading on Zwolle and Leo Majors. Thanks, I've never been there. I did drive the road [ a la "A Bridge too Far"] from Einhoven all the way to Arhnem Bridge while I was there. Monty's "Operation Market Garden" was a complete disaster.

In Normandy EVERYONE was a nice to this ole American as they could possibly be. I was taking pics of some flowers along one of those narrow streets and the owners actually invited me into their house.

Like a moron, I ran out of film on my way to the cemetery at Normandy and thought, " I'll just get some there." [and a coke and sum cotton candy if it's like most places in the U.S.] I was shocked at how quiet and respectful it was. I didn't hear a word from anyone for hours.

When I asked for directions to Point du hoc. This kind gentlman actually tried to help me pronounce it correctly. Cause we talk a little funny ya know?
My grandfather (on my mother's side ) was an RCMP stationed in Montreal during the war. He didn't speak a word of French. While listening to the Montreal Canadiens on a French radio station he said to my mother that Montreal would surely win the cup that year because their player "Rondell" was fantastic. "He's in every play and has assisted on all the goals." My mother and her brothers were bilingual and hid their laughter..."rondelle" translated into English is "puck".

Last edited by 442much; April 13th, 2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:25 AM

Mawn'in all

Ken,
That's a stich

Don,
I'm sure Sandy appreciates your efforts in restoring her sig pic

Did ya'll all play the 50's car ID game in the clubhouse? I can just about name the person who owned each of them when I was a pup.

I gotta quit play all those games or I am gonna get nutt'in done today.
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

Thanks for fixing my sig pic, Don, lol!! It's a glorious morning here today! Sun, blue skies and in the 40's heading to the 60's!!!!

Some kind of big fire here in Twinsburg this morning - I could see the black smoke as I was coming down 91. When I got further down towards the square, it looks like the fire was either at the University Hospital complex, or Grande Village which is a senior retirement center. But there are other businesses and such tucked in back there too, so I don't know. I had to wait for fire trucks and ambulances at the square. I tried looking on line at the news channels but can't find anything right now. I sure hope no one was hurt, whatever happened! Brian is heading to McDonalds, which is right by there so I'm gonna have him look.

I took Teepo out for a nice long drive last evening! God, I love that car, lol!!! We tooled around for 45 minutes or so. It was a lovely evening for crusing!!! Kept singing Ricky Van's song, "Backroads"! "I got the radio blastin, I've got the windows rolled down.... And I'm crusing these backroads, on the out skirts of town...."

Took her back home, popped the hood and checked for "wisps" - didn't see any! But there is coolant leaking from the bottom hose. It was blown back onto some of the parts under her, and dripping down the hose. I didn't mess with the clamp to see if the hose just needs tightened - I'll let Don do that. Have to check the coolant before I take her over there tonight.

Jamesbo.... I haven't checked that other thread yet. This is the first one I come to, lol!! I'll do that next.

Have a great day all!! Enjoy the sunshine!!!!!

Oh yeah..... Teepos annoying buzzer didn't buzz like it always does when I put the key in to start her - why would that be? It buzzed last time I stuck the key in.....

Last edited by cutlassgal; April 14th, 2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old April 14th, 2011, 12:16 PM

Good day all

Jamsbo,

Played the game too. I came from a small town and all of those cars were owned locally.

Sandy,

Glad you got your Sig back. You must be out of the dog house with Jamsbo. Getting Teepo out must have felt great. Takes the stress away doesn't it.

Have a great day all
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

Why does it seem our thread is going downhill?? That can't happen, lol!! Where is everyone??

It's a beautiful morning here. 44 degrees and some weak sun out there. Birds are singing so nicely! Had a few pairs of cardinals at the feeders this morning. They're so pretty!! It's hotter than Hades in this office. Already up to 74 and I have the fan blasting. Steve has his heater on!!!!!!!!

Well I took Teepo to Don's last night and left her. I should hear from them today after they look her over and tell me how much it's gonna cost this time! I miss her. Now that she's out of the garage, I need to scrub the floor from the winter. Get rid of all the salt that lays out there when the crap melts off my car in the winter. No drain in the floor, so the water just lays there and dries.

Speaking of costing..... we got our taxes back from the accountant yesterday, finally, and we owe almost $1800 by Monday! We were not happy. Nothing like giving us 3 days to come up with the money somehow. Probably have to take it from the company. I hate taxes. Nicole gets a whole $126 back, lol!! She'll be happy until I tell her she owes it to me! Nah, I won't do it since it's her first return.

Well hope you all are alive out there! Have a good day!

Wolfie..... where are you??
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:12 AM

Mawn'in all

Mawn'in Sandy,

Well it looks like it's jes you and me [or is it you and I?] I never can bermemeber?

Nice day ere too but it's spose to come up a cloud tonite.

Sandy,

Why don't cha get a push broom an sweep out the excess water?

I've been sett'in my Hav-a-hart trap try'in to catch sum of the pesky ground hogs that attack my garden. No, I don't kill 'em. I take em down to the nursery owned by a local tree hugger and set them loose. I've relocated about a dozen or so in de last few years. Hope de like their new digs

So fer, I'm batt'in 0 on ground hogs. Only one possum yesterday and one coon dis mawn'in.

Pat, My sister's piano teacher had one of those New Yorkers and I can see the hideous thing parked out in fron of our hoouse like it was yesterday.

The neighbor cross the street always had a caddy. First a/c I ever saw in a car was the caddy with the a/c in the trunk and those plastic tubes com'in oout de package tray.
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:18 AM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Morning All!

Why does it seem our thread is going downhill?? That can't happen, lol!! Where is everyone??
I hope we are all loving the coming of spring. I know I am spending more time in the garage. I hope we are spending more time under and in our cars than talking about them. I know i have seen more of the underside of Millie this week than in the last 6 months.

The weather here in Halifax, Nova Scotia, 44 degrees north and 63 degrees west, for today is calling for temps around 5C or 41F. Light winds all day with ocassional clouds, but sunny most of the day. Yesterday was 10C/51F so as usual it seems to be cooling down for the weekend. Wednesday was beautiful at 15C/60F and sunny. I had the the garage doors open all the way while I was laying on my back with my a pair of Hookers.

We have been having a fair amount of rain here lately. That is good because it will wash away the last traces of road salt from winter. Cruising is right around the corner. Millie and I hit the road on monday for some exhaust work.

Have a great day everyone!

Adam
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Cutlass Lover

Jamesbo.... since we're not P/C people, "you and me" works for me, lol!! Well I don't push the water/snow off the floor in the winter cause I don't have room when a car is in there. We have stuff sitting on the floor along the walls, so just enough room to pull a car in and walk around it, ya know??

The water mostly pools up around the front passenger side of the car - the floor seems to slope down to the right at that point towards the man door. If it's not a blizzard outside, I back the car out and take the big squeegy and the big push broom and push the water out. The floor is uneven, and the water goes under the squeegy in places, so I have to use the broom too. But still ya get the salt and road crap that collects in the tire tread that dries in there. I'm always sweeping the floor when it's dry. Can't have Teepo sitting on a dirty floor, lol! But I like to scrub it out good every spring.

There were 2 big raccoons in the yard the other night. The cat jumped up on the ledge in the dining room window and was yowling to me, so I went over and looked out and saw their eyes... flipped on the outside light and they took off running towards our shed. Don't know if they're living under it or what?? That big old groundhog that lives under our neighbor Steve's shed has been out and about the last few weeks.

I'm gonna plant my green bean seeds this weekend in the starter disk thingys.
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:32 AM

Good morning all

Cold and light rain, just another day in paradise here. When I was growing up in a small town (Population 4200) You knew who the townspeople were by the cars they drove.

Banker: Cadillac, Imperial, Lincoln
Doctor/Dentist: Buick, Chrysler, Packard, Hudson
Store owner: Oldsmobile, Mercury, Dodge,
Average Joe: Chevy, Ford, Plymouth, Frazier, Etc.
The Oldball: Henry J (from the Sears catalog store on main street)

You were know as a chevy man, ford man, etc. and it seemed to travel the whole family tree. If you were a chevy man and you got a better job then you bought a Oldsmobile. No I can't tell the difference between cars anymore they are generic and all look alike. No individual style whatsoever. Cars for the masses seems to be the running theme.
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:07 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5TEm...eature=related
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:39 AM

That was good Jamesbo, I nearly fell out of my chair!
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Registered

I've been working out in the yard, nothing to do to the cars.
I cut the grass.

Not much going on otherwise.
Daughter #2's Students in Free Enterprise/ SIFE team came in fourth at the regiinals in Atlanta.
Not bad for kids from a small school that do it all on their own dime against colleges that have a 200k budget allocated for them.
She was offered internships from Home Depot, Bob Evans, and the Nielsen rating service.
She's only a sophmore so she had to turn them down for now but they took all her info, she would of had to move to Atlanta for the summer too.
I told her I knew a guy down there, you have interns or just nieces Jamesbo?

There is a swap meet this weekend?
It's on;

Sunday!
Sunday!!
Sunday!!!!!!!!!!

At beautiful Thompson Drag Raceway!!!!!!!!!!
The Thunder Capitol

Last edited by Bluevista; April 15th, 2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Redgoat breathing down my neck