The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2024 | 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I might try to watch the game if I can find it for free.
Norm - I may be wrong, but I believe this may be one of those weird games on the schedule that you can only see on Amazon Prime TV. If you have an Amazon Prime account, you should be able to get it for free I believe. Cool story about Sean Payton at the golf tourney.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 17th, 2024 at 05:23 PM.
Old October 17th, 2024 | 05:30 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Holy Happy Turd *****. I do have an Amazon Prime account.
Old October 17th, 2024 | 05:45 PM
Running On Empty

Turns out the ready-made (just bake) pumpkin pie is a Marie Collender's pie. It was good - borderline very good, far from excellent. My homemade from scratch pumpkin pie is not only excellent - it's superior.
I guess I'll have to eat what's left of it over several days. Price was certainly favorable @ $6.99 and it's a big thing to boot.

Old October 17th, 2024 | 06:14 PM
Running On Empty

Someone pay off the defense linemen on the Dante Williams "walk-in"? Yikes!
Old October 17th, 2024 | 07:58 PM
Running On Empty

Couldn't handle any more. Sean Payton executed a great game against Saints. Saints just could not execute. Saints got rather careless there in the 3rd quarter/early 4th. Had more fun watching some of those leaked videos of Charissa Thompson.
Old October 17th, 2024 | 08:11 PM

Couldn't handle any more. Sean Payton executed a great game against Saints. Saints just could not execute. Saints got rather careless there in the 3rd quarter/early 4th. Had more fun watching some of those leaked videos of Charissa Thompson.
As much as I love football, I turned it off before halftime. Two mediocre teams, going nowhere fast. That was the most boring game I've watched all year!
Old October 17th, 2024 | 08:14 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
As much as I love football, I turned it off before halftime. Two mediocre teams, going nowhere fast. That was the most boring game I've watched all year!
Charissa was far more run.
Old October 17th, 2024 | 08:17 PM

Charissa was far more run.
I'm sure, but the bar was set very, very low.
Old October 17th, 2024 | 08:28 PM

There’s a reason we call them the Aints.
Old October 17th, 2024 | 08:31 PM
Running On Empty

Hot diggity dog biscuits. You can now renew your passport on-line - certain restrictions apply but nothing extraordinary.
Old Yesterday | 05:45 AM
Running On Empty

Neighbor couple (old geezers) I always bring in their trash container each week called Monday asked me to take out their trash container (Tuesday is trash pickup). He (Raymond) has a big walker & said his wife (Suzie) busted up her hip. OK, Tuesday passes. Today is recyclable pickup day, after golf yesterday I decide it's a good idea to take out their recyclable container so I did. About 6:30pm I notice the container is no longer where I put it, so I venture a telephone call - Andrea (their daughter) must have brought it in thinking it was empty. Heck, you could tell it wasn't empty. Should I take it back out for you? No, we'll get it. 8:00am he (Raymond) calls asking if I'd take the container back out to curbside. He said he must have woke me up. LMAO

I was up before the dawn...

Old Yesterday | 06:46 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Chilly as can be. Upstairs furnace won't light. It's 2 years old. I need to investigate and see if I turned off the gas valve for some reason. That's something that I would do though I don't remember doing it. Turned on the downstairs furnace for the first time. It cranked right up and warmed the place 8 degrees within 30 minutes. I turned it off when I left because Tiger is at Mom's today. No need to run it for no one, plus it's going to get warm again.

Norm I would bring my neighbor's trash can in but she'd usually put it out. Sometimes it wouldn't be out and I'd call and ask her if she had all her trash out I'd put out the can. She'd say I'm not going to put it out this week there isn't very much. I'd tell her, you're paying for them to stop at your house each week, it doesn't matter how much is in the can.

I've gotten back on the kick of building the house Mom grew up in. I hit many dead ends the last time I tried to find information but I might have come across a live one. The county treasury department. You send your taxes to them they must have the records of whoever pays the taxes. Going back to 1960 might be a stretch but it's someplace new to inquire. I should really find out if she'd want to live in a house like that. She has some odd ideas sometimes and she might twist things around to make it a sad thing. Like when Ringling Brothers was on their farewell tour they came to Atlanta. Mom loves the circus so I asked her if she wanted to go. Oh no, I couldn't bear it, that was the last place Joe(her husband) and I went before he died, I can't go... Sheesh. I'm sad that people aren't around anymore but I have good memories of them and that makes me happy. I guess I should find this out. I have a car like Grampa's she doesn't seem to mind it.

The two mechanics who sit in front of me are out today, so I have two wall guys. Was over 20 at break, almost to 30 now. Should have around 50 by the end of the day. Works for me. The one wall guy is pretty slow. But I'll take what I can get.

Doctors trip after work today. Overtime tomorrow. Gonna be nice weather.

Okay got a couple ready to go. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old Yesterday | 06:55 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Likewise for me. I don't get the mentality some people conjure up & hang onto regarding events of the past such as the type you described. Oh well...eh? BTW, you turned off the gas valve last year.
Old Yesterday | 07:10 AM
Running On Empty

Forgot to mention. My folks used to take our family to the original Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey circus. I know this was the original because the first time I attended I was between three to five years old & it was held in the Big Tent (1955-1957). I was totally blown away....elephants, pretty girls riding elephants, clowns everywhere, sideshows were bizarre. Like little peep shows of weird people in these small little buildings, alligator woman, stuff like that, animals with two heads (cows, snakes, lizards, etc.). I remember one time we went to this special location near where they were setting up the circus just West of Elgin, Illinois because we'd go there to pick Black Walnuts from this (what appeared to me at 4 or 5 years old) huge walnut tree. Mom & Dad loved Black Walnuts for some reason. But yeah, the original shows are something special in my memory banks...but, so are our vacations out to Wall Drug, Pikes Peak, Badlands, Mount Rushmore in the late 1950s returning each year via Route 66 we'd pick up in Arizona/New Mexico. Family vacations out West...fond memories.
Old Yesterday | 08:51 AM
Always room for one more

Your vacation to Wall Drug?
Old Yesterday | 09:07 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Your vacation to Wall Drug?
What about Wall Drug?
Old Yesterday | 09:18 AM
Running On Empty

You're likely too young to recall original Burma Shave signs - poetry in motion, baby. All the way to Wall Drug you'd see Burma Shave signs. This is a stock image I grabbed from the WWW & it really doesn't do justice to the original Burma Shave signs. You'd see a "series" (generally) of Burma Shave signs - say, one every 1/2 mile or so, maybe 6 - 10 in a series. The series would create/make/state some prophetic/poetic phrase.

My brother (Tom) and I would count vehicle side vents along the trips - we did this for more than vacation trips out West - I think we did it every time we went on extended drives. Anyways, I think at one point in time we decided we counted more Buicks with side vents than other cars with side vents.

Old Yesterday | 09:45 AM
Always room for one more

You said your vacations to Wall Drug. Like it was a town or something. I thought it was a pharmacy.

I know about Burma Shave but I've never seen the signs along the highway. I can't imagine anyone actively going along and taking them down, but I'm sure at this late date they are either pilfered, or shot up into oblivion, or horses ate them. I've seen original Burma Shave signs in museums.

The picture of the Buick shows that it's a Riviera. It has 4 Ventiports. The lesser Buicks had three. I can't recall off the top of my head any other cars that had "ventiports." Lots of vintage cars had little doors that opened on the side of the hood, and some had louvers. If I were a big fan of Buick I'd put ventiports on any car I drove.

Old Yesterday | 09:48 AM

Good morning guys,

We did the Wall Drug, Mt. Rushmore,
Badlands visits on our way to Wyoming in '66. Hit the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Cheyenne Rodeo, all the time camping everywhere we went in our bare bones Coleman pop-up, pulled by a '63 Valiant. I don't remember alot of it, but I have a ton of pics.

Got the car done, now after a break I'll get it loaded up with my travel supplies and display items and I'll be all set to head out early tomorrow morning as soon as it's light. Show is in DeSoto at the VFW about 25-miles away and is supposed to end around 4pm. Then I'm planning on heading to Festus for a stop at the Culver's cruise-in, 2 events in one day.

Wife found this neat mini-Bar that came with all the glassware and restored it. It was in pretty bad shape. The glassware is trimmed in gold, but it's hard to tell if it's real gold or not. Wife said she could not find a match for the glassware online. I may do some sleuthing?

Hope everyone has a.great day and weekend!
Old Yesterday | 10:14 AM
Goldiewilson4mayor

So sweet to find that was not only some of the original glass but looks to be all, My grandparents had a setup like that but had Japanese cutout on the frt
Old Yesterday | 10:44 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Well, it seemed like an entire town. There was basically nothing in Wall, SD other than Wall Drug. Yes, there was a pharmacy inside but I couldn't tell you its history w/o looking it up. I recall one trip it was (I think) my 1st time riding a pony - actually sitting on a pony is more like it since I think I got walked around w/ the horse on a bridle rope. Heck, there may have not been a bridle on the horse. I recall the 2nd or 3rd time we were there, my youngest brother was born and he was only like one year old or something - maybe two. We all took a ride in a stage coach with cowboys & Indians shooting cap guns at one another. I think I would have been 11 or 12 & I thought how fake it was, but my youngest brother thought it was all shoot'em up fun stuff.

Chris - Our family camped each year we went out West. I wasn't very old - ~4-6 yrs old? Brother (Tom) two years younger than me. No third brother at the time - (Tim) is 10 years younger then me. That first trip was way cool - except for the tornado part - I recall that event quite well. Dad & Mom had this behemoth canvas tent with poles which seemed like it took them hours to assemble/disassemble. One fateful night a storm brews and we're in the middle of gale force winds. Then, it begins raining, then the rain stops & the wind remains something serious. Mom & Dad are engaged in some serious/vigorous discussions (pounding down some brewskies, I'm sure). Tom & I hear them talking about a tornado - Mom is now frantic, which makes us two boys frantic. All negotiations between Mom & Dad are now lost as Mom is dictating what's going to happen next - the big canvas tent is blowing sideways, held upright only because of the poles & stakes. Everything is soaked. Next, we're all in the car off to some hotel - tent is still standing. It was sorta/kinda fun to a degree I think - Tom & I got more of a kick watching Mom & Dad verbally wrestling one another as to our next move. Dad, with the patience of a saint & Mom with more hysteria than herd of wild horses. Next morning, tent still there laying on the ground wrapped around the poles.

We still camped the entire rest of the way. I found the Badlands & The Black Hills of SD were the coolest ever. We camped in Custer, also. Then it was off to Pikes Peak then Boulder, Colorado where we camped in Estes Park. Lots of really cool camping places. We camped throughout the return from Arizona>New Mexico, etc. back to Illinois.

The following year Mom made it clear to Dad we were not going to camp in a tent. I was way cool when we all went shopping for a camper and came home with this pop-up/pop-out Coleman camper. Had this stove on a drawer you could access from the outside or inside. Mom was in heaven.
Old Yesterday | 10:48 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Cool little mini-bar. We had something similar in this old house I lived in as an undergrad. Peculiar house but neat. It was a caboose engineer house. A place where train caboose engineers would/could stay overnight, several days or a week or so until their next time to catch their next working train. Still, I recall that old mini-bar.
Old Yesterday | 12:59 PM
Running On Empty

New call from the neighbor. Sumpin wrong w/ rear entrance storm door handle - loose falls off won't stay in position. Recycle trash container has been picked up/emptied so I bring it into their garage. Evaluate rear storm door handle. "There sumpin they make to glue it back in place." I can pull handle out from interior side of door, evaluate handle, find the set screw, come home, grab my alan wrenches, back next door, tighten set screw. Have a nice day & leave.

Time for a piece of punk'n pie.
Old Yesterday | 01:44 PM

4 ports means Roadmaster.

Train wrecks few...
Reason clear....
Fireman never....
Kisses engineer....
Burma-Shave.
Old Yesterday | 01:47 PM
Running On Empty

Old Yesterday | 02:17 PM
Running On Empty

"If you dislike / Big traffic fines / Slow down / Till you / Can read these signs / Burma-Shave"
Old Yesterday | 02:18 PM
Running On Empty

"Don't take / a curve / at 60 per. / We hate to lose / a customer / Burma-Shave"
Old Yesterday | 02:25 PM
Running On Empty

I remember as a young pup watching Dad shave w/ a bowl, brush & Wilkinson or Gillette double edge sword blades. Dang if those things didn't look scary. I saw him changing blades once and down into the never-land they went into that tiny slit/slot in the back of the wall medicine cabinet to be forever lodged in perpetuity.
Old Yesterday | 03:01 PM

I remember as a young pup watching Dad shave w/ a bowl, brush & Wilkinson or Gillette double edge sword blades. Dang if those things didn't look scary. I saw him changing blades once and down into the never-land they went into that tiny slit/slot in the back of the wall medicine cabinet to be forever lodged in perpetuity.
I still use a safety razor, but my medicine cabinet does not have the slot for the used blades, nor would I use it if it did. I have a few razors. My preferred one is Feather and their blades, from Japan. The Japanese are courteous enough to provide a doubled ended springy plastic that will not only vend the new ones in the little box, but have a spot to slide the old ones in. It is then tossed when full.

Between using mug soap and safety razor blades, I can get shaving down to about a dime a shave. I quit on Gillette when they did that horrible TV ad.
Old Yesterday | 05:47 PM

I saw him changing blades once and down into the never-land they went into that tiny slit/slot in the back of the wall medicine cabinet to be forever lodged in perpetuity.
Yeah, my parents house had that razor blade slot as well. I wondered how many blades it would take before the wall wouldn’t take any more.

We didn’t have those Burma Shave signs. If we did, the yokels woulda shot them so full of holes they’d be unreadable.

Last edited by Fun71; Yesterday at 05:50 PM.
Old Yesterday | 06:40 PM

Chris - Cool little mini-bar. We had something similar in this old house I lived in as an undergrad. Peculiar house but neat. It was a caboose engineer house. A place where train caboose engineers would/could stay overnight, several days or a week or so until their next time to catch their next working train. Still, I recall that old mini-bar.
Thanks Norm, I thought it was pretty unique, I'd never seen one like it. The most amazing thing to me was it came with all the glassware.

Loved the tornado story. The discussion between your parents when the storm started sounded like one my parents could have had.
Old Today | 02:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Here I am at overtime. The past few weeks we've been doing a seniority based list where only three mechanics can come in for overtime, and it's a rolling list starting with the most senior person. Well, a few of the guys have heartburn over this and wanted us all to boycott coming in for overtime. I learned a long time ago not to have sympathy pain, so when my name comes up I come in. That's been every week. What's funny is we're boycotting because we want to come in every week. Well with those guys sitting out I come in every week.

John you're absolutely right about Roadmaster. I had to look it up. Of course as time went on the rule got watered down and the four ports meant whatever the marketing person wanted it to mean at the time. Sort of like 442. Riviera initially was the hardtop.

Airplanes used to have the razor blade slot in the lav. I can't imagine trying to shave with a razor like that on an airplane. Not exactly smooth. So when the houses were built back then, the razors actually just went into the wall never to be seen again? That's bizarre. Imagine doing the remodel 50 years later and finding all that. Yikes.

I would love to some time get a straight razor shave at the barber shop. With the hot towels and the aftershave and all that. I don't know if anyone even does that anymore. I should find out.

Well our operating system is down for maintenance until 8am. That's some good planning on my department's part. Pay all these guys to sit and do nothing for four hours. Actually people are working up until they have to sign something. We're going to be busy starting at 8am.

Okay gonna fix a snack. Hope everyone has a good day. I may be looking at this site a lot today.

Old Today | 05:44 AM
Always room for one more

The computers came back up around 630. We had a rush of cards to sign and after a little while they were done and we sat some more. Around 7 someone went to get croissants and donuts. Yum. The guy that went to get the food had a stack of cards and I took them all and now I have about half of what's been done so far. He never even noticed.

Chris I wish my whole house looked like the inside of that cabinet. I love the natural polished wood look. Paint the woodwork? Sacrilege.

So when we got home last night I turned the furnace back on and set it at 68. It was 60 upstairs. This morning when I got up it was nice in the house and 66 upstairs. Norm I did turn the gas off for the furnace in the basement because I kept smelling gas. The AC man was there and turned it back on, and all summer no gas smell. Now that the furnace has had a few cycles, still no gas smell. It must have fixed itself. I'm gonna check out the upstairs furnace real good this afternoon.

Also this afternoon change oil in the Fiat, maybe do some final mowing, go mess around at the shop. A friend has convinced me I should move the Toad out of the hangar because the roof could collapse at any time. So I'm gonna work on that. Moving the car not the roof. Did I ask you guys this before? The roof is all trusses. The halfs that are under the good roof are in good shape. The halfs that are under the missing roof are rotted. Is there some way I can rebuild the bad half so there are actual rafters holding up the roof, thus eliminating the rest of the truss and my ceiling height will be the actual roof? It would be a little clunky having half the roof rafters and half the roof trusses, but heck half is better than nothing.

Old Today | 06:59 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - A good number of variables to consider when designing that roof repair. You'd have to be on-site to evaluate this type repair relative to many variables in particular size of repair & condition of existing damaged trusses. The first option to consider is can you fabricate this repair by sistering existing (damaged) web members? Least expense, easiest to repair entirely dependent on existing condition of supporting trusses/webbing. Truss roofs are generally best & far easier for complete new roof installations. I think in your case if you cannot or will not be installing a new truss roof, you have only option - you'll have to build/fabricate this repair on-site whether truss or rafter design. Mentally I'm sort of envisioning complete removal of the entire one-half of the roof building a Mono-Pitch Roof tied into the existing good one-half roof; but, this is entirely dependent on type truss, webbing, size, slope & purpose. This repair will not be anything less than difficult & I strongly suggest you hire a roofer, GC, etc. to evaluate. This is a very advanced DIY repair. I'd first consider whether you can sister the damage. Yeah, I suspect you could design/build/replace the damaged one-half roof w/ rafters. You're going to have to pull a building permit for this repair, hire a GC or professional roofer to evaluate before you go any further.
Old Today | 07:26 AM
Always room for one more

Whoa Norm. Permit? Professional? Let's not get anyone involved that will say anything, inconvenient. This is just a discussion amongst friends. Is it possible to replace trusses after the roof is built? These are some pretty big trusses. The building is 45 feet wide. Actually from the looks of it, the guy that put up the building in the first place didn't have a permit.

John I stopped using my "disposable" razor when the refills went up over 16 bucks for three. Don't remember a particularly bad commercial.

We're within 30 of finishing. This isn't so bad, we won't have hours to sit and do nothing. I don't need to adhere to a strict Saturday schedule anymore. No one will be at the Awful house to meet with me, so I can get there anytime and leave anytime.

Old Today | 08:07 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Is it possible to replace trusses after the roof is built? These are some pretty big trusses. The building is 45 feet wide. Actually from the looks of it, the guy that put up the building in the first place didn't have a permit.
Yes, you can replace a roof truss or several: (1) Fabricating (via replication of current truss/webbs) on-site; or, (2) providing an image w/ dimensions to the truss manufacturer. I have never done it. I would not consider it beyond my capabilities; yet, it's an advanced DIY repair. You can't sister, eh?
Old Today | 08:46 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - You know how to sister a board? If not, here's video (below). Yes, modestly short sister span in the video but the basics are same.
NOTE: Cheap, lazy, non-structurally supportive sistering would be application of a one new sister board to one side only of a pre-existing board with ONLY nails (bad) and no contractor cement (very bad). This creates a VERY weak sister. Best to install a double-sister - two new sister boards nailed in-place with contractor cement between boards on each side of the pre-existing board, then ample supply of nuts, bolts & washers to finalize sistering. Ensure you have ample overlap extensions at the ends of the boards so each sister board on each side spans greater than the length of the pre-existing board(s) you need to sister . What's the span (length) you'd have to sister (if applicable)? You can get 20' stock boards - maybe longer via a lumber yard; yet, you can create an additional sister(s) along same board if required.

Old Today | 08:49 AM
Always room for one more

Some of them I could. Some of them have rotted into oblivion. My plan is to move the Toad and get all the other stuff out of there so the place is empty, and then somehow get up into the trusses and start repairing them. I tell you what I'd love to do, tear the whole thing down and rebuild it somewhere else. I had considered putting it up on the corner of the property my house sits on, but it's a kit with corrugated metal sides and it wouldn't be very attractive. I suppose I could do different sidinge on it.

Old Today | 08:55 AM
Running On Empty

You have options. Obviously a 100% complete roof tear off would be superior. Order all brand new trusses and go to town.
Old Today | 08:58 AM
Running On Empty

Looks like average lead time for trusses built in Georgia is ~2-4 weeks. Not bad really. Obviously dependent on sizing.