The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2022, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - I'm sure you can buy a Service Manual for any Yamaha.
Norm - Right after I posted that about the Yamaha, I watched a couple of You Tube videos on how to do it. It doesn't look too bad, just a little time consuming because you have to take a couple of pieces loose to expose the drain plug. Not really any special tools needed other than a T40 torx bit, which I think I have already, and a flexible piece of rubber tubing about 10-inces long that is just slightly smaller than the fill hole. You need the flexible tubing because there is no room to get the gear lube bottle close to the fill hole. As long as you have the right tools, I can't see it being more than a couple hour job, even if it is your first time.
Old June 16th, 2022, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Looks like my front yard rabbits melted, too.

Nah, just lying in a wallow trying to stay cool.

Kenneth - Those Desert Hares really reminded me of my trips to Arizona. What I really loved seeing were the Roadrunners, the Rattlesnakes, not so much!
Old June 16th, 2022, 07:30 PM
Running On Empty

Rattleheads can be annoying.
Old June 16th, 2022, 08:14 PM

This fella makes the rounds through the neighborhood and sometimes hangs out in our back yard.

Old June 16th, 2022, 08:19 PM
Running On Empty

I haven't seen a road runner in quite some time - they're funny birds.
Old June 17th, 2022, 02:52 AM

First light, I'm gonna water, weed whack and head norte
Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old June 17th, 2022, 03:37 AM

Got super windy yesterday. Wife and I were chillin on the deck, decided to go over to barn and get old truck. Got over there and found lights out-hummph-. Brought truck to house and checked and sure enough, power out again!! Well went to store and got fixins for grillin some burgers, came back and grilled, ate, then fell asleep on couch, Woke up about 9, still no power, let dog out and went to bed. Woke up about 5 am power back on, so no big deal. I just bought a whole house emergency generator and am in process of getting it installed. Well it really isn't a bug deal in the summer, unless it stays out long enough for freezer to unthaw, but in winter it is a big deal! Olds looks great again, all cleaned up, old f100 is running good and back together, so it's time for some household summer repairs/ projects. Life is good... " Summertime, and the living' is easy"........
Old June 17th, 2022, 03:47 AM
Running On Empty

Tee time 8:30am - Hope y'all have a pleasant day.
Old June 17th, 2022, 04:20 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
First light, I'm gonna water, weed whack and head norte
Have a great weekend Olds friends
Thanks Jim , have a nice weekend everybody
Have replaced the o-rings in the convertible
motor and bleed air out and everything back
together now . Tomorrow we have a big
cruising in the town next to us and there will
be several hundreds of american cars cruising
around in the city so this is fun. And many people
out to se all cars cruising around.

Last edited by GCH; June 17th, 2022 at 04:34 AM.
Old June 17th, 2022, 04:20 AM

This fella makes the rounds through the neighborhood and sometimes hangs out in our back yard.

Kenneth - Thanks for the pics! Always loved seeing those guys. Used to see a bunch of them when playing various golf courses down south around Green Valley, Tubac, and Rio Rico. Saw alot of Javelina's down there too. First time I ever went down there to visit with my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins there, the 1st thing my Uncle told me was if you hit a ball out of the Fairway into the desert, DON'T go into the desert to look for it because I would probably find a Rattlesnake. I like snakes, but not Rattler's!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 17th, 2022 at 04:32 AM.
Old June 17th, 2022, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Thanks Jim , have a nice weekend yourself
Have replaced the o-rings in the convertible
motor and bleed air out and everything back
together now . Tomorrow we have a big
cruising in the town next to us and there will
be several hundreds of american cars cruising
around in the city so this is fun. And many people
out to se all cars cruising around.
Glenn - Great to hear from you, we haven't heard from you in a little while. The car cruise sounds like fun! Glad you got the convertible top working again. Take plenty of pics for us, it's always cool to see so many people enjoying American cars all the way over there. I'm entering my car in one of two shows that are going on near me on Sunday. I'm still trying to decide on which one I'm going to put it in.
Old June 17th, 2022, 04:32 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Good start to the morning, got my good wall guy back, hopefully the target number goes down and we get out at a decent time.

Found a car at Carmax. Yes they are a ripoff but heck at this point I gotta take what I can get. It actually isn't a bad deal. I don't have a lot of time to spend at the place, and they are worse than any dealer keeping you around forever. It's to wear down the customer so they will agree to anything just to go home. Anyway if I spend a little time today and a little time tomorrow I should be okay. Not exactly what I want but it's what the used car factory is building these days.

Greg what did you ever do about the roof on your house? What was the cause of the power outage?

Jamesbo is that the water tank you're supposed to give me? Damn that's twice I missed out. That would fit in your little trailer. How cool would it be to water trees with a Jeep.

Funny bird yes Norm, but if he catches you you're through.

Okay got a couple wheels to sign. Happy Friday everyone.

Old June 17th, 2022, 04:59 AM

Good morning guys,

Thunderstorms starting around 0500 this morning woke us all up, especially because Monty was doing his usual thunderstorm freak out. We all moved out to the couch by 0530. It's supposed to last until 0730 or 0800 and then move out. Ought to be really nice and steamy then!

I need to get out and finish up my car, but it's so dark outside right now my light in there wouldn't be very good right now. There are windows in my garage doors, but they don't help very much when it's as dark out as it is right now..

Well, we went to our HOA meeting last night, and just like the rumor I had heard, the Board disclosed our HOA is being sued by a homeowner, which explains the proposed 300% increase in our operating budget for legal fees. What homeowners didn't know was this law suit has been in litigation now for almost a year, and the HOA Board failed to disclose it, even though there have been 2 meetings since the law suit was filed. Last night our HOA Board flat-out refused to answer any other questions about the law suit on the advice of the legal counsel they solicited. The facts that this suit has been going on for almost a year now and the Board previously failed to disclose it, combined with their absolute refusal to disclose any other information, went over like a lead balloon with the vast majority of residents, and as a result, the proposed budget was voted down. People were pissed about how this has been handled (myself included), and now it's a real Cluster Phuque!

Jim - Safe travels!
Norm - Hit em straight!
And the rest of you hoodlums have the best damn day ya'll can have!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 17th, 2022 at 05:02 AM.
Old June 17th, 2022, 06:08 AM

Chris, I hate to point out. "Cluster Phuque" is the definition of HOA

Mike, I don't remember but I still know I have a sand blaster and half a side rail for the trailer
Old June 17th, 2022, 08:24 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Glenn - Great to hear from you, we haven't heard from you in a little while. The car cruise sounds like fun! Glad you got the convertible top working again. Take plenty of pics for us, it's always cool to see so many people enjoying American cars all the way over there. I'm entering my car in one of two shows that are going on near me on Sunday. I'm still trying to decide on which one I'm going to put it in.
Hi well my feet have been a "pita" for some weeks but they are better now , have massage once a month and got some molded ?
inlays for my shoes and this was just great. I can read that you have very hot weather , here it have rained a little for the last
weeks and may and june has been colder than usual. They use to to do youtube vidoes about the cruising , because most of the cars are driving around in the city all the time and not parked.

Last edited by GCH; June 17th, 2022 at 08:26 AM.
Old June 17th, 2022, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, I hate to point out. "Cluster Phuque" is the definition of HOA
Jim - It sure is! Of course we were both still extremely frustrated after the meeting last night, but Dawn and I did have a brief discussion about potentially moving, which is not really an appealing thought because of everything else we have going on, plus the rising interest rates. I bought this house before Dawn and I were together immediately after my divorce. I really didn't want to buy in a subdivision, but it was a nice place, the price was right, and most importantly it was only 5-minutes from my old house where my girls were still living at the time. It was very "convenient".
Old June 17th, 2022, 08:47 AM

Today’s forecast calls for - well I don’t need to say it. At least it’s supposed to be cooler than yesterday.

And there’s even a chance for rain in the weekend forecast (I’ll believe it when I see it). By the way, this potential “rain” would be measured in the hundredths of an inch.
Old June 17th, 2022, 08:50 AM

Today’s forecast calls for - well I don’t need to say it. At least it’s supposed to be cooler than yesterday.

And there’s even a chance for rain in the weekend forecast (I’ll believe it when I see it). By the way, this potential “rain” would be measured in the hundredths of an inch.
At least it's a dry heat, right?
Old June 17th, 2022, 10:38 AM

Hey guys,

My car is finally done and ready for the show on Sunday, Woo-hoo! Got out to the garage after the skies brightened up and the storm front had cooled it off quite a bit (low 80's). Finished the engine bay, cleaned & polished the aluminum wheels, dusted the interior and then wiped down the dash pad and other vinyl surfaces with 303 vinyl protectant, and finally vacuumed. Thankfully it shouldn't need that thorough of a cleaning for awhile.

No more rain in the forecast so I'm still hoping on riding my Indian up to the car cruise-in this evening. We'll see how things go???

Hope everyone's having a great day!
Old June 17th, 2022, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by NTXOlds
At least it's a dry heat, right?
For now. The weatherman said this is typically the driest part of the summer. We are moving into the "monsoon season" when the humidity will rise due to air from from the Gulf of California and Gulf of Mexico blowing northward over the desert, and that moisture coupled with the high heat will generate thunderstorms. Those are localized so a fortunate few will get rainfall, and the rest will get oppressive heat, humidity, and blowing dust.

Old June 17th, 2022, 01:37 PM

I have family in Mesa, and I have played golf there when it was 115+. Doesn't matter if it is a dry heat; it's still dang hot.

Try to stay cool!
Old June 18th, 2022, 12:25 AM
GCH

Here are a couple of videos from a car meeting that happens once a year about 60 us miles
from us.

Old June 18th, 2022, 01:30 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning 4:15!

So a good core group of us showed up, and half the shop is shut down. No AC, no shop air. The floors which are greasy anyway have a nice layer of condensation on them so we are all skating around. The support mechanisms for the robots run on air so they aren't working. And it's stuffy in here, we got the big fans going. Should be interesting.

Kenneth is that a real picture? Like Preston Tucker says, it's not the heat it's the humility.

Gonna be hot again today. Not sure what to do after work. Probably inside stuff. Might run a couple errands.

Now the robot guy tells me the tire retriever runs on air so they can't get tires. I'd say things aren't going our way. The lead is a wimp and the other mechanics are sitting looking at their phones. I guess I'll try to be some sort of guidance or help for the others to get things going. Boy I'm glad I came in today.

Have a good day everyone.

Old June 18th, 2022, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Here are a couple of videos from a car meeting that happens once a year about 60 us milesfrom us.
Glenn - Thanks, those look like fun events! I'm sure you look forward to them every year!
Old June 18th, 2022, 08:58 AM

Yes, that is a real picture. Do a web search for “Phoenix dust storm” and you’ll see a lot of similar pictures.

When the dust storms roll in it’s similar to a fog bank with very limited visibility. The local news stations run information on what to do if you’re driving on the highway and caught in one - pull off the road as far as possible, turn off the lights, take foot off brake, and keep your seat belt on. All so cars behind you won’t see your tail lights, follow you thinking you’re on the road and rearend you.

There have been so many dust storm fatality crashes on I-10 south of town that ADOT installed dust storm monitors. When a storm is detected billboards show an alert and the speed limit on a huge stretch of highway is dropped from 75 MPH to 35 MPH.

And when those storms roll through town they leave a layer of dust. Swimming pools end up with a layer of mud and if there is actually any rainfall, it’s more like a mud fall.

Last edited by Fun71; June 18th, 2022 at 09:05 AM.
Old June 18th, 2022, 09:25 AM

Good morning guys,

Well I did end up riding my motorcycle to the Car Cruise yesterday evening. It was very poorly attended, I'm guessing mainly heat related. There were probably 20-cars there at most. The venue, a local Sports Bar (Hooters wanna be), is not helping itself by not marking off a dedicated parking area for the display cars when there is a huge parking area to do so. I saw a couple guys I knew and stayed about an hour to talk to them and then headed home. Pretty lame really, but at least I got out on my bike a little bit.

Headed for an early Father's Day celebration this evening which will be fun! Got the car loaded already to head to the Car Show about 0615 tomorrow. It's an hour's drive and I want to get there early to get the bugs off the car before registration starts at 0800. It's a drive thru judging process, so if your car isn't clean when you drive thru and stop for the judging, you're SOL. I hate that format, but it is, what it is. I will try and get some good pics tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old June 18th, 2022, 04:27 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by GCH
Here are a couple of videos from a car meeting that happens once a year about 60 us miles from us.
Glenn - I really enjoyed the two YouTube videos of the car shows - some really nice looking cars.

I have a question about the first video. At the time mark of 3' 02" there is a MOPAR Dodge car which I believe is supposed to be, or resemble a Dodge Challenger/Charger R/T - the car is basically red - with an A$$LOAD of shiny gobble-die gook - stereo surround system everywhere and a hood and trunk which open via remote control. I don't understand Swedish. Did he say he put a Dodge Viper engine in that car? Later in the video, about the time Dire Straits can be heard playing, I think he says when he was born the medical doctors could not find his ***** but he didn't look like a female, then six years later a 2 inch (5 cm) ***** appeared and he still has the 2 inch (5 cm) *****. He couldn't get any females to go on dates with him because he essentially had no *****, so he fancied up (destroyed) a Dodge Challenger/Charger R/T to see if maybe some males might date him? Thanks.
Old June 18th, 2022, 05:13 PM

Good evening guys,

Had a wonderful dinner of pizza, fried hot wings, and ice cold brew with my daughters, SIL's, and the grandkids. Only one other comment, I'm really glad my dogs do not drink from the toilet!

Old June 18th, 2022, 05:26 PM
Running On Empty

A member at my club who plays golf with us occasionally was released from three days in hospital last week. He was placed on an Ab IV drip for three days to fight a full blown infection he contracted when allowing his dog to lick several decent sized scratches/scrapes on one of his legs.
Old June 18th, 2022, 06:32 PM

A member at my club who plays golf with us occasionally was released from three days in hospital last week. He was placed on an Ab IV drip for three days to fight a full blown infection he contracted when allowing his dog to lick several decent sized scratches/scrapes on one of his legs.
Thankfully, even if it may be true, I have never subscribed to the belief of those who say a dog's mouth contains less bacteria than a human's!
Old June 18th, 2022, 06:40 PM

Hey Jim - I snapped this pic of you when you were out watering on the Gator the other day! I thought you might like to have it to include in your resume, just in case you ever need to get a real job again some day.

Old June 18th, 2022, 06:41 PM
Running On Empty

It isn’t a case of less vs. more, it’s the delta in enterobacterial species which are common to dogs vs. humans.
Old June 18th, 2022, 08:57 PM
GCH

Glenn - I really enjoyed the two YouTube videos of the car shows - some really nice looking cars.

I have a question about the first video. At the time mark of 3' 02" there is a MOPAR Dodge car which I believe is supposed to be, or resemble a Dodge Challenger/Charger R/T - the car is basically red - with an A$$LOAD of shiny gobble-die gook - stereo surround system everywhere and a hood and trunk which open via remote control. I don't understand Swedish. Did he say he put a Dodge Viper engine in that car?
Here is more info about the red 68 Charger in english :
Dodge Charger RT/R -68 (poweredbyjohan.com)

Last edited by GCH; June 18th, 2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old June 18th, 2022, 10:10 PM

Greg, we had a storm like there here yesterday. Considering how grandma's caught a tree or two last year with this sort of late June cannonballer, I got off lucky with a few branches down and no power for 10 hours. I took several naps. About the time I was contemplating going for ice, the power came back on. That was day 1 of my ten day "staycation."

Chris, HOA's suck. They can go bankrupt. I'm getting hassled by my town, and THEY can go bankrupt, too.

Day two of the staycation, I got over the hangover, then went and worked on the Hurst/Olds. I have made its own thread for things I do to it to not blow this thread out of the water or put stuff everywhere. The battery sits at a weird angle which makes connections a bitch, so I reclocked it to where it should go and now it should be more accessible.

Pulled the carb to look things over. It's cammed up and it diesels on shutdown. I do not think I will be able to get it to reliably shut down, even if I lose timing, so I am reinstalling the idle stop solenoid system. This acts like the idle speed screw, when on, and, when off, goes away, thus allowing the idle speed screw, set deliberately lower, to take the engine rpm to unsustainable levels. This happens at the same time the ignition goes down, so it should shut down the show in a dignified manner.

Need more hardware for the battery tray and odds and ends for the idle stop system. I need a wheel chock. I have my grandfathers 6x6 beam that was his parking bumper for years in my storage unit that I hauled out of Terre Haute last year, or I may just use rocks from the drive. Plus I have a coolant leak to find.
Old June 19th, 2022, 01:42 AM
Always room for one more

And again.

This morning precious few people showed up. Same lead, and he's running around wringing his hands. Forty-two of the 50 wheels we need to sign are already built, but they need bearings. I have a feeling it will be slow going today and not an early out. Eh, it's double time.

I always said I'd never move to a neighborhood with a Homeowners Association. Guess what I did. In fact, for several years I was the president. But here's what's screwed up. It's optional. In the 50s when the lake was impounded, the people who got together created an excellent document creating the association that governed for about 40 years. The document assumed everyone would be a member forever and obviously didn't have any of today's legalese in it. So what was binding in the 50s was obsolete in the 90s. The main hold was the community water system. There was a big tank(actually called a stand pipe) up on the hill and all the houses were hooked up to it. The water bill was part of the lake dues so if you didn't pay your lake dues you didn't get water. So everyone was a member. When county water came in people stopped paying lake dues because they still got water from the county. We paid an attorney a lot of money to tell us how to make people pay lake dues, and she said we couldn't, based on today's laws and the way someone could pick apart the wording in our documents. If we sued someone over it we'd lose. Wow I could go on for days what the place has become due to all that. But I won't.

Hey wheels starting to get done already. We might actually have a shot at this. Have a good morning everyone.

Old June 19th, 2022, 04:22 AM
Running On Empty

Glenn - Glad to read the 98 top hydraulics are in working order. Very peculiar. As you said, you followed the 1965 manual - evidently it doesn't apply to aftermarket motor/cam. The routing inside the aftermarket motor/cam must obviously be different than the OEM motor/cam.
Well, to each their own on the 1968 Charger RT/R. Not really much left of a 1968 Charger, but eh - whatever floats your boat I guess.
Old June 19th, 2022, 04:55 AM

Went to Homecoming yesterday, unfortunately I just am not feelin' it...I think the car show stage of my life is over. I parked Olds, looked around swap meet and after that knees were tired, went back to cars, and looked at some, then left. I didn't even see anyone I knew. Well it was a great day anyway, after left show went over to a private lake (was a gravel pit) and floated around it on a pontoon boat with a bunch of old high school chums, then went and visited another old friend at his house, then back to Harrison. Put about 230 miles on Olds - no troubles.
Old June 19th, 2022, 08:58 AM
GCH

Glenn - Glad to read the 98 top hydraulics are in working order. Very peculiar. As you said, you followed the 1965 manual - evidently it doesn't apply to aftermarket motor/cam. The routing inside the aftermarket motor/cam must obviously be different than the OEM motor/cam.
Well, to each their own on the 1968 Charger RT/R. Not really much left of a 1968 Charger, but eh - whatever floats your boat I guess.
Hi Norm , yes nice the convertible works again Well the charger was an old almost destroyed racecar he found
so it was not a nice Charger. i,m also more intrested in original cars but it,s fun to se the work they done.
Here it is on Jay Leno Garage :

Old June 19th, 2022, 10:08 AM

Norm, Computer question

How do I get rid of the pop up small black box adds from google chrome. When I turn on they keep popping up and I have to close each one ,then another pops up
Old June 19th, 2022, 10:39 AM
Running On Empty

https://support.google.com/chrome/an...form%3DDesktop