The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Corona Virus - COVID-19 - By The Numbers

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2020, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I started the thread. If it were your thread regarding problems with your brakes and in the middle of it I decided to discuss my recent fishing trip - I doubt you'd appreciate me hijacking your thread.
Sorry Norm! I in no way wanted to hijack your very informative thread. You and others have posted some of the best info out there. And it is important to all of us here!
I think I lost my way at #24. and #110. Again Norm, I apologize!
Old March 24th, 2020, 12:05 PM
Running On Empty

Excellent response HighwayStar 442 and greatly appreciated. You are a standup individual. Thank you for taking ownership and I, as well - have been guilty on other threads for displaying less than responsible stewardship at times - and, I have been dutifully branded on occasions.

I apologize for calling you out. No worries.
Old March 24th, 2020, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
#24. and #110. Again Norm, I apologize!
Typical expected response
Old March 24th, 2020, 05:15 PM

Coronavirus symptoms start slow, and worsen quickly, doctors say

https://www.aol.com/article/news/202...-say/23960423/
Old March 24th, 2020, 05:53 PM

Grocery Stores Are the Coronavirus Tipping Point

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...utm_source=msn

Looking at the Johns Hopkin chart USA Confirmed
This is about to rise like a Rocket ship!

Last edited by HighwayStar 442; March 24th, 2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old March 24th, 2020, 06:08 PM

Texas' lieutenant governor suggests grandparents are willing to die for US economy

The lieutenant governor of Texas argued in an interview on Fox News Monday night that the United States should go back to work, saying grandparents like him don’t want to sacrifice the country’s economy during the coronavirus crisis.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...my/2905990001/

He can go first! He is out of his mind! We are the USA! And will get though this! It will hurt for a short time, But we shall overcome this Virus.
Old March 24th, 2020, 07:03 PM

Texas' lieutenant governor suggests grandparents are willing to die for US economy

The lieutenant governor of Texas argued in an interview on Fox News Monday night that the United States should go back to work, saying grandparents like him don’t want to sacrifice the country’s economy during the coronavirus crisis.

He can go first! He is out of his mind! We are the USA! And will get though this! It will hurt for a short time, But we shall overcome this Virus.
Agreed. That man is a fool. I hear some of the younger kids are now calling this "Boomer Flu" because they think they are invincible and it doesn't effect them. The ignorance about this virus is astounding.
Old March 24th, 2020, 08:35 PM

I'm afraid that the folks that appear to be uninformed, and/or not taking this virus seriously are those that exclusively watch FOX news (or follow trdt on twitter). Please, Please, if you watch only FOX news, try just once watching another network for your news. You pick the one, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, etc. Only then will you receive honest factual info about the pandemic we are all experiencing. How cound you seriously think that ALL of the news organizations except FOX are fake and giving you false info..?? Really??
Old March 24th, 2020, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
I'm afraid that the folks that appear to be uninformed, and/or not taking this virus seriously are those that exclusively watch FOX news (or follow trdt on twitter). Please, Please, if you watch only FOX news, try just once watching another network for your news. You pick the one, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, etc. Only then will you receive honest factual info about the pandemic we are all experiencing. How cound you seriously think that ALL of the news organizations except FOX are fake and giving you false info..?? Really??
Also PBS and BBC
Old March 24th, 2020, 09:04 PM

Sorry, this is just so damn good.

Old March 25th, 2020, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The rate of new cases in the US will surpass those in China by Wednesday. By this time next week, US cases will be close to 1,000,000. Do the math people.
Its Wednesday.... I am not telling anyone to not take it serious, I just think far to many people are over reacting. 81% of the people that get it are sent home to wait it out. Another 14% are also sent home but have worse cases. Yes, the 5% is still a large number of people needing admitted to the hospital. We did not see this much over reaction to H1N1, in fact I never even heard of it till about a month ago.
Old March 25th, 2020, 05:07 AM

Still to political, lock thread or let's take off the gloves and let everyone say whatever they want.
ps, obviously some don't take the "moderator's" advice about the political talk.
Old March 25th, 2020, 06:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Its Wednesday....
At 6:31 am... Is the math still flawed? 10K new cases Monday, 12K Tuesday. Just under 55K total on Tuesday night. Expect close to 70K by tonight, and more than China's 81K by sometime on Thursday. Sorry, I was off a day - obviously that proves I made it all up.

Do you still believe this:

At the rate we are going we will not surpass China any time soon if at all.
Old March 25th, 2020, 07:23 AM

Act now, Italian doctor at epicenter of outbreak warns the world

https://www.aol.com/article/news/202...orld/23958120/
Old March 25th, 2020, 08:19 AM

2 new deaths today, 3 so far in Finland. 880 confirmed infections, and 82 at intensive care.

Today evening they announce the closing of our capital region- more of it later today on few hours ( about how severe the shutdown is). This is big news here, due to our country having a population of approx. 5.6mil, and 1/3rd of them lives on capital region. So when put on scale, its going to be huge.

At Italy and Spain, theyve given "moral codex" already for case when number of patients needing intensive care passes the capacity, about whos given even a chance to survive and bed/place on intensive care unit. Its pretty serious when it escalates to this point, especially if it escalates to point when they took that codex at use.

Last edited by Inline; March 25th, 2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old March 25th, 2020, 08:19 AM
Jeff

Its Wednesday.... I am not telling anyone to not take it serious, I just think far to many people are over reacting. 81% of the people that get it are sent home to wait it out. Another 14% are also sent home but have worse cases. Yes, the 5% is still a large number of people needing admitted to the hospital. We did not see this much over reaction to H1N1, in fact I never even heard of it till about a month ago.
Eric, with all due respect... you must not know anyone that works in a hospital? I'm not trying to pick a fight or start an argument with you, but I have a sister, sister-in-law, and MANY friends that are on the front lines (RN's, RT's, CRNA's, etc). In particular, my sister-in-law was transferred from her hospital in Novi, MI, to Southfield, MI because the Southfield location is now at capacity and they needed extra hands on deck. She is a Respiratory Therapist, a job that puts her in harms way. All of the vents in the Southfield hospital are being used, and they are having to use alternatives to vents (CPAP machines).

The Beaumont hospital system in SE MI (8 hospitals), as of last night, 3/24, were almost at capacity -- meaning, no more vents for COVID-19 patients.

Stop comparing it to H1N1, because they are different viruses. COVID-19 is classified as a Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. In the severe cases, it compromises lung function much faster and more significantly than influenza.
Old March 25th, 2020, 08:22 AM
Bfg

Maybe it’s Mother Nature’s way to cleanse the earth. This Earth has needed to take a good **** for a long time! I’m glad I have a full tank of gas in my Olds.

Last edited by Bfg; March 25th, 2020 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Old March 25th, 2020, 09:01 AM

I am not going to make the call on whether the nation should return to work, largely because it is not my call to make. I am not surprised at the intense backlash against Dan Patrick's statement, both because of the natural instinct to survive present in anyone, but also because of it being the boomers.
Old March 25th, 2020, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I am not going to make the call on whether the nation should return to work, largely because it is not my call to make. I am not surprised at the intense backlash against Dan Patrick's statement, both because of the natural instinct to survive present in anyone, but also because of it being the boomers.
Its also hugely hypocritical coming from the "party of life". Ending of 1 life is a tragedy, but ending 10,000 lives is merely a statistic.
Old March 25th, 2020, 09:24 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
Its also hugely hypocritical coming from the "party of life".
What part of Eric's instruction to "stay within the subject matter" did you not understand?
Old March 25th, 2020, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I doubt any politician from right or left, would go without a ventilator if they needed it. The idea that non elites should die. So the elites can make money on the short time! People in USA went without to win WWII. So we must stand together to beat this. And not throw people under the bus! I would call out any Democrat for saying that!

We are the USA! And will get though this! It will hurt for a few months. But we shall overcome this Virus. This was not caused by a financial problem like 2008. But a natural disaster.
Old March 25th, 2020, 11:18 AM
Running On Empty

Back to the science.

Journal of Clinical Microbiology, Clinical Microbiology Reviews, Oct. 2007, Vol. 20, p. 660-694
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus as an Agent of Emerging and Reemerging Infection

Excerpt (p. 683):
The presence of a large reservoir of SARS-CoV-like viruses in horseshoe bats, together with the culture of eating exotic mammals in southern China, is a time bomb.
Old March 25th, 2020, 11:29 AM

One of two things is going to have to happen.

1. The third world is going to have to be brought, kicking and screaming, out of their backwardness. There's a reason Indians are called streetshitters, and China lets kids run around with split pants and poop goes where it goes.
2. We cut off the third world from all tourism, trade, and travel, to a large extent.

China and India have worked, for millenia, on the concept of life really doesn't matter since there are so many of us, and if you die, you die. America works on the value of the individual. Biosecurity, to coin a term, is now a thing, and the idea of shrugging and going, that's fate, when you lose your parents or spouse or child to a bug ostensibly from a bat (and not the bioweapons lab that right there) because some ignorant peasant ate it and got the world sick doesn't fly in the real world. I highly doubt we could, or even should, try to make China a decent country. We can, however, stop trade, travel, tourism, and send the millions of freaking Chinese that are in our grad schools, for some damned reason, home.

The above is nationalism, not politics.
Old March 25th, 2020, 11:36 AM

Dr. Jeanette Nesheiwat said that after scientists examined the genetic code of the virus, they discovered evidence that it does not mutate in the same manner as influenza, giving hope that it would require only one vaccine.

“This current COVID-19, it’s not changing in such a manner that we have to have a new vaccine every year. The vaccine that they’re currently working on now, in which the trials have already started, the first scoop of patients already received their first dose. They’re going to receive their second dose on day 28,”

https://www.foxnews.com/media/scient...-mutation-rate
Old March 25th, 2020, 02:16 PM

Capital region closed- only work and really heavy reasons permit travelling through region borders. People living at capital area are allowed to come back if they are outside when it hits ( friday is current quess). Police to control it, for starters- but army has already been alerted to give help.
3 weeks for starters to see how it effects- but truthfully its going to be 3 months which is maximum our constitution allows- until they change constitution.
Old March 26th, 2020, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by VC455
What part of Eric's instruction to "stay within the subject matter" did you not understand?
My bad. I'll stop making political jabs, and instead follow the shining example in this post.

As of this morning, it appears that Italy has started bending its curve and the growth rate has begun to reduce (4 consecutive days of ~5000 new cases), while the US continues to grow (3 days of >10,000 new cases and trending upwards). At this rate, we'll probably pass Italy today for the number of total cases (2 days earlier than my prior estimation). The US is on track to pass China Friday if not sooner.
Old March 26th, 2020, 05:46 AM

Thank God for the travel ban of Jan. 31, 2020.
https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/19...ike-trump-did/
Old March 26th, 2020, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
Ahem?

(biting my tongue to avoid engaging in political discussion)
Old March 26th, 2020, 06:42 AM

Yeah........ kinda like watching Faux News.........
Old March 26th, 2020, 07:07 AM
Bfg

I read that with all the free time everyone has on there hands, board games are becoming ever so popular especially Chinese Checkers, Go figure!
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:11 AM

..... last I knew, God had no legal jurisdiction in the United States of America.
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:14 AM

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin comes though, and did the right thing! For small business and the working man. Some large corporation will continue paying their workers. Even if they are closed. This is not going to last for years. Hopefully just a few months. Corporation know this, and need to retain their workers. This is also the birth of the stay at home economy(work from home)
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:43 AM

University of Pennsylvania estimated that even if social-distancing measures can reduce infection rates by 95 percent, 960,000 Americans will still need intensive care. There are only about 180,000 ventilators in the U.S. and, more pertinently, only enough respiratory therapists and critical-care staff to safely look after 100,000 ventilated patients. Abandoning social distancing would be foolish. Abandoning it now, when tests and protective equipment are still scarce, would be catastrophic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...us-end/608719/
Old March 26th, 2020, 10:58 AM

University of Pennsylvania estimated that even if social-distancing measures can reduce infection rates by 95 percent, 960,000 Americans will still need intensive care. There are only about 180,000 ventilators in the U.S. and, more pertinently, only enough respiratory therapists and critical-care staff to safely look after 100,000 ventilated patients. Abandoning social distancing would be foolish. Abandoning it now, when tests and protective equipment are still scarce, would be catastrophic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...us-end/608719/
Thanks for the link. A great read!
Old March 26th, 2020, 12:22 PM

Article is pretty leftist, but has some good info.
Old March 26th, 2020, 01:07 PM

Article is pretty leftist, but has some good info.

Sorry Norm,
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! (Godfather III)

Its hard for me to be silent. I am not "derangement". I am not right or left! I just tell it as is it is. I listen to all sides! Fox,Cnn, Pbs and so many more! Making my own educated honest decisions. And these truth are self evidence! Will not follow anybodies party's line. GOP or DEM.
I am fine with my posts being deleted! I did wrong! Post #273 should also be delete. I can care less, what he thinks or says about that.

I Don’t Want to Belong to Any Club That Will Accept Me as a Member. (Groucho Marx).
Old March 26th, 2020, 01:58 PM

I will be going all in on the stock market this time around. Did not get back in after the 2008 downturn. I think you would not want to miss this next upturn.
We may not have found the bottom yet but I am all in as of yesterday.
Old March 26th, 2020, 02:07 PM
Running On Empty

I went all in a couple weeks ago during the second huge drop - probably a little too early compared to the recent plunge, but a penny is a penny.
Old March 26th, 2020, 02:31 PM

This is far from over. I think DOW around 14,000 give or take 1,000. Time will tell.
Old March 26th, 2020, 02:39 PM
Administrator

The US has surpassed all others in becoming the #1 country with Corona Virus cases.

Quick Reply: Corona Virus - COVID-19 - By The Numbers