The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Corona Virus - COVID-19 - By The Numbers

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2020, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I have to say that I am quite pleased and a bit surprised to see the Mecum auction in Glendale, Arizona going on as scheduled. It's on TV right now. There's a lot of people there, and they're all in a big auditorium. It's about the only thing on TV right now that's not a rerun, and it's a bit of normalcy in a world that is anything but at the moment.

What surprises me most is all the people in attendance. You would think that some would be afraid to travel or afraid to be in a crowd. But apparently not. It's good to see some people acting normally and not standing in line to buy toilet paper.
Yep that's right Jaunty75, actually my brother from Milwaukee is on plane to Dallas, and were going out to dinner.....
Old March 14th, 2020, 04:22 PM
Running On Empty

As I've suggested via numerous posts to this thread, there are literally hundreds of coronavirus. The scientific community has been aware of coronavirus for many years that is specifically why the scientific community was able to identify the new virus - it's genomic sequence had already been identified.

What often goes overlooked is the hard dedication of those who painstakingly make the greatest contributions to our knowledge. This is not only with regard to viruses, but in many other fields of study - which aren't necessarily of a scientific nature. Yet, here is (probably) the singlemost contributor to our knowledge regarding SARS-CoV-2.

How China’s “Bat Woman” Hunted Down Viruses from SARS to the New Coronavirus

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 14th, 2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old March 14th, 2020, 04:28 PM

national news just on so far 2000 cases and 50 deaths.of those only 1 is under 60 yrs old,and of those 27 are from the washington nursing home.and i thought i heard they are what is called an end of life facility.kinda like a hospice,so they have a higher death rate then most nursing homes.so to get a good number is anyones guess at this point.i will say that so far here in iowa we have 17 case,15 of em all went on a nile river cruise in egypt,so only 2 other cases and we haven't had any new cases in 2 days so hopefully things are getting better.
Old March 14th, 2020, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
national news just on so far 2000 cases and 50 deaths.of those only 1 is under 60 yrs old,and of those 27 are from the washington nursing home.and i thought i heard they are what is called an end of life facility.kinda like a hospice,so they have a higher death rate then most nursing homes.so to get a good number is anyones guess at this point.i will say that so far here in iowa we have 17 case,15 of em all went on a nile river cruise in egypt,so only 2 other cases and we haven't had any new cases in 2 days so hopefully things are getting better.
Actually they are a typical nursing home and according to their briefing , they average 3-7 deaths a month.
Old March 15th, 2020, 05:50 AM
Running On Empty

The speed at which the scientific community has been able to identify the SARS-CoV-2 virus is remarkable but even more remarkable is the speed at which they have been able to identify the infectious entry point into human cells. Unlike the previous beta-coronavirus, SARS-CoV, which employed ACE (Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme) as the entry point, SARS-CoV-2 employs ACE-2 as its entry point into human cells.

This may appear as scientific voodoo, but it is remarkable how fast the scientific community has been able to identify the entry point for SARS-CoV-2 which leads to COVID-19.

The significance is this. Several ACE inhibitors were found to be able to hasten the entry of the original SARS-CoV virus which broke out in 2002 - enabling for faster recovery of infected patients. This new SARS-CoV-2 gains entry to human cells via ACE-2 (not ACE). However, any of the previous ACE inhibitors employed to combat the original SARS-CoV virus are not applicable for inhibiting SARS-CoV-2 entry into human cells. Several manufacturers have already begun to develop (and some have already produced) ACE-2 inhibitors. This will hopefully provide some treatment for individuals who have already contracted COVID-19 and reduce the debilitating & ensuing complications associated w/ this form of pneumonia (primarily) and other complications (kidney, heart, etc.).

In layman terms think of the delta between SARS-CoV (ACE) entry and SARS-CoV-2 (ACE-2) entry like this. Same key to enter your home, same lock mechanism except the tumbler has been changed.

Generally speaking, individuals with known TYPE 1 or TYPE 2 diabetes and individuals w/ known hypertension have an increase in the total numbers of the ACE-2 enzyme. This is probably the reason why these individuals are more susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 entry into human cells.

Additional reading:

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S...showall%3Dtrue
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angiot...rting_enzyme_2
https://link.springer.com/article/10...34-020-05985-9
https://www.livescience.com/how-coro...cts-cells.html
Old March 15th, 2020, 10:19 AM

A scene from yesterday at one of the U.S. airports (Ft. Lauderdale) where people returning from Europe are being screened. Apparently it's been taking 2 to 3 hours to get through the lines.

What you see here is what is known as "social distancing."

Old March 15th, 2020, 10:24 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by jaunty75
A scene from yesterday at one of the U.S. airports (Ft. Lauderdale) where people returning from Europe are being screened. Apparently it's been taking 2 to 3 hours to get through the lines.
There should have been and there should be thousands of staff moving these passengers rapidly through the airports.
Old March 15th, 2020, 12:47 PM
Running On Empty

Governor Mike DeWine and the Ohio Department of Health just confirmed all bars (and I believe he stated restaurants) in the State Of Ohio are ordered to CLOSE beginning tonight (I think he said) - indefinitely. Sorry, I watched it live and can't recall specifically.

Old March 15th, 2020, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Governor Mike DeWine and the Ohio Department of Health just confirmed all bars (and I believe he stated restaurants) in the State Of Ohio are ordered to CLOSE beginning tonight (I think he said) - indefinitely. Sorry, I watched it live and can't recall specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiTwRcEIWAA
Crazy stuff.
Old March 15th, 2020, 01:49 PM

Yes, DeWine is closing all Ohio bars and restaurants as of 9 p.m. this evening. That's huge. Yes, sometimes all businesses, including restaurants, have to remain closed for several days in the aftermath of a major snowstorm or something like that, but they reopen as quickly as possible. This closure is currently "indefinite."

Yes, he's encouraging that take-out and delivery remain in operation, but that doesn't make up for the lost in-person business, and it doesn't help those employees, like wait staff, busboys, and dishwashers, whose jobs directly depend on actual human beings being served in the restaurant. I understand the need for this, but it is not without its own grave consequences. If the closure lasts more than, say, a week, I would predict a significant fraction (25%?, 50%?) of these establishments will never reopen.
Old March 15th, 2020, 02:25 PM
Running On Empty

Illinois Closes Bars And Restaurants Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

Old March 15th, 2020, 02:29 PM

Doesn't surprise me. Once one state takes the plunge, many will quickly follow suit. It was the same with all of the college and university closures going on around the country. As of last Tuesday morning, there were none. Then a couple of schools did it, and by the end of the day, the count was over 100 and growing. Now it's pretty difficult to find a school that is not closing and putting everything online, as though that will be a great savior. It won't be.
Old March 15th, 2020, 02:31 PM

I am raising my right hand in the air as I type this (make it difficult to type). I am vowing to patronize the take-out services of as many closed restaurants as my budget will allow.
Old March 15th, 2020, 02:59 PM
Running On Empty

There is going to be hundreds of thousands (millions?) of tons of food in restaurants which will perish unless something timely occurs. It's my hope restaurants engage with local & community based organizations to collect and distribute some of the food which will surely go to waste.
Old March 15th, 2020, 03:25 PM

This is an interesting read published by some concerned Doctors........

https://www.howardluksmd.com/sports-...sicians-unite/
Old March 15th, 2020, 03:47 PM

according to the illinois order,they are working to allow take-out ,delivery and drive-thru.so at least they can keep the kitchen up and running,just no walk-ins.this will lessen the blow some.
Old March 16th, 2020, 07:02 AM
72Cutlass S

Old March 16th, 2020, 09:49 AM

As of now, our government ( marionettees more of..) practically shut whole Finland down. Borders closing, schools closing, more than 10 people gatherings off, all hobbies down, pools, librarys, everything. Visits to hospitals, elderly people, everything down. First patient got to "emergency/ intensive care" here today. So someone could say they are late on their action, but on the other hand you could say they are on top of their game compared to some other countries.

And something i personally surprised; as we have public healthcare, and in side of it Private healthcare, goverment takes over of Private healthcare as far as forcing them to help Corona-virus patients also.

Last edited by Inline; March 16th, 2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old March 16th, 2020, 10:11 AM

Just curious? Does anyone here have or know someone who has this virus that is confirmed?
Old March 16th, 2020, 10:20 AM

Just curious? Does anyone here have or know someone who has this virus that is confirmed?
No. None reported in the county that I live in. Cases have been climbing since last week. I'm in Michigan. Kent county which is adjacent to mine, is the nearest county with confirmed cases.
Old March 16th, 2020, 10:59 AM

Nobody around here yet. Although they claim there's 2 POTENTIAL cases in Augusta, GA medical college. Nothing confirmed.

Also, so far based on the data, there's about a 98% chance you'll survive it if you get it in the U.S.
Old March 16th, 2020, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Nobody that I know yet. We do have cases in the county and a few at the university that my wife works at, but we don't know them.
Old March 16th, 2020, 12:19 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by Inline
As of now, our government ( marionettees more of..) practically shut whole Finland down. Borders closing, schools closing, more than 10 people gatherings off, all hobbies down, pools, librarys, everything. Visits to hospitals, elderly people, everything down. First patient got to "emergency/ intensive care" here today. So someone could say they are late on their action, but on the other hand you could say they are on top of their game compared to some other countries.

And something i personally surprised; as we have public healthcare, and in side of it Private healthcare, goverment takes over of Private healthcare as far as forcing them to help Corona-virus patients also.
Here in Sweden there are 7 (older people ) who have died of Corona and over 1000 confirmed cases. Today they
recomend people over 70 years old NOT to have any social contact.,many looses their jobs also now.
But in Southern Europé is´s very bad , Spain over 6000 confirmed cases and Italy over 1800 died of Corona ( 368 last saturday ) and almost
25,000 confirmed cases

Last edited by GCH; March 16th, 2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old March 16th, 2020, 01:32 PM
Running On Empty

I didn't want to assemble my own data collection and run my own analysis - it takes an extremely long time. FINALLY, there is a group who has collected, assimilated and now reporting on beneficial data regarding sampling statistics.

Guess which of the most advanced countries on the planet has done (by comparison) nearly the most absolute WORST testing for COVID-19?

EDIT: Source>>>Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) - Statistics and Research

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 16th, 2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old March 16th, 2020, 02:52 PM
Beer Connoisseur

San Francisco Bay Area ordered to “shelter in place” until April 7.

https://www.businessinsider.com/san-...ay-area-2020-3
Old March 16th, 2020, 05:31 PM

We have a Daughter, Son in law and Grand Daughter in the Bay area. Very worried about them. California is a real mess for many, many reasons. Thats enough said for now.
Wayne
Old March 16th, 2020, 06:34 PM
Running On Empty

Code named mRNA-1273 vaccine

U.S. volunteer receives first shot of experimental coronavirus vaccine

Old March 16th, 2020, 06:35 PM
Running On Empty

NIH clinical trial of investigational vaccine for COVID-19 begins

Old March 17th, 2020, 07:43 AM

Do you know what they do before administering a lethal injection ? Wipe the prisoners arm with a cotton ball of alcohol. Wouldn't want him to go to hell with and infection. George Carlin on germs [ NSFW] Language
Old March 17th, 2020, 11:41 AM
GCH

Here is a map that should be uppdated today march 17 -2020

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...beeeee1b9125cd

Old March 17th, 2020, 12:20 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by GCH
Here is a map that should be uppdated today march 17 -2020

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...beeeee1b9125cd
Examine the link (URL) I provided in Post #1 (above) (#1) which is the map from which all COVID-19 data is being accumulated and posted to all other Global Maps & updated every 15'. The map you posted is derived from the original map I posted (above). It provides a variant to other countries in a different format (Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University (JHU)).
Old March 17th, 2020, 03:30 PM
Running On Empty

I believe there exists a bevy of far over-paid CEOs, CFOs, etc. in our country who can EASILY afford to contribute $1MM each towards state/local community-based organizations to provide food for children who are now out of school, the homeless, shelters, blankets, etc. etc. to assist in this crisis. We should not be specifically looking for and/or waiting on BIG BROTHER to bail us out.
Old March 17th, 2020, 03:31 PM

I believe there exists a bevy of far over-paid CEOs, CFOs, etc. in our country who can EASILY afford to contribute $1MM each towards state/local community-based organizations to provide food for children who are now out of school, the homeless, shelters, blankets, etc. etc. to assist in this crisis. We should not be specifically looking for and/or waiting on BIG BROTHER to bail us out.
x2
Old March 17th, 2020, 05:38 PM

People for sure don't need to wait on big brother but I also don't believe it is up to CEOs. ALL of us should be trying to help those in need. To a homeless guy on the street, a person making $20K a year is rich, a person making $20K thinks the person making $60K is rich. Americans overall are some of the most giving people on earth and we all need to continue this. Some CEOs are greedy and not going to help, some people making $20K are not going to help. But God bless those who do. it is simple, go to your elderly neighbors and see what they need. Just disinfect yourself first, lol.
Old March 17th, 2020, 06:18 PM

Supposedly people under $130k will get a check of between $1k and $2k. I plan on supporting my favorite small family owned restaurant. Your able to get takeout only in Ohio. I plan on also buying some gift certificates also for future use. I hope the waitresses will be taken care of. Good waitresses are hard to find.
Old March 17th, 2020, 06:21 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
...I also don't believe it is up to CEOs. ALL of us should be trying to help those in need...
Agree w/ you 100%. I used CEOs etc. as an example (but, I do believe they make a mighty fine example).
Old March 18th, 2020, 11:34 AM
Running On Empty

Some things which the medical practitioners (and, the like) fail to emphasize and should be broadcasting to the general public during this stressful period is the importance of establishing & maintaining a healthy immune system. For most, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to convince people it is the immune system which fights infections.

As well as eating healthy, the primary method to ensure establishment & maintenance of an optimal immune system is to get quality sleep. The immune system rebuilds itself during resting/sleep hours. In fact, the majority of the rebuilding actually occurs during the last stages/periods of sleep - generally, just prior to awakening. Sleep is by far the best constructive method of rebuilding the body's immune system.

Get quality sleep and get plenty of it - naps are beneficial, as well.
Old March 18th, 2020, 11:58 AM

I just read, As the ability to test for the virus more quickly, We should expect to see a spike in the number of cases. There was a backlog of testing.
Old March 18th, 2020, 12:01 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I just read, As the ability to test for the virus more quickly, We should expect to see a spike in the number of cases. There was a backlog of testing.
James - A backlog is an understatement. Did you see my Post #144?
Old March 18th, 2020, 12:31 PM

Yes, Norm, but i misread it.

After a more careful read it clear we're gonna have a giant spike

Quick Reply: Corona Virus - COVID-19 - By The Numbers