Pulling the motor

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Hookers under Hood

Geez I'm in the wrong business. All the comforts there Mac. I should have been a teacher!!!
Old March 25th, 2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Geez I'm in the wrong business. All the comforts there Mac. I should have been a teacher!!!
Well unfortunately Fox news was incorrect. Not all teachers get off work at 2:00 and go home to their mansions, lol.
The projector was purchased broken off eBay, wasn't hard to fix. The surround amp came from a yard sale, it was her ex husband's, cost a whole $5. The ceiling I made by hand with the art deco accents cast from plastic resin. I built the screen wall, did all the wiring, re-ran the hvac, built the soffits, and on and on. A lot more elbow grease than money
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:41 PM
morgan

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Well unfortunately Fox news was incorrect. Not all teachers get off work at 2:00 and go home to their mansions, lol.
The projector was purchased broken off eBay, wasn't hard to fix. The surround amp came from a yard sale, it was her ex husband's, cost a whole $5. The ceiling I made by hand with the art deco accents cast from plastic resin. I built the screen wall, did all the wiring, re-ran the hvac, built the soffits, and on and on. A lot more elbow grease than money
Well you do get the whole summer off from work?
Old March 25th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

One of the biggest mistakes I made was not going into teaching when I had the chance.

I oughtta know, my father's a retired teacher.

I have the greatest respect for teachers (and professors), and believe that they deserve every penny they earn, and more.

- Eric
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
Well you do get the whole summer off from work?
Why yes, I do
But to be fair, I get paid for nine months. I just choose to have my pay spread over 12. It gives the illusion of paid summers off. And actually, until last summer I chose to teach every summer for the extra pay. I haven't decided about this summer yet.

Originally Posted by MDchanic
One of the biggest mistakes I made was not going into teaching when I had the chance.

I oughtta know, my father's a retired teacher.

I have the greatest respect for teachers (and professors), and believe that they deserve every penny they earn, and more.

- Eric
Thank you my friend. That actually means a lot.
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Justin

Mac I agree with Eric a 100% my wife is a natural born teacher I keep telling her to go for it and the pay is why she doesn't want to do it so she is currently getting her accounting degree. Long story short I comend you on your life's calling !
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:39 PM

So....back to the Olds. I was reading Rob's "Into the Unknown" and he mentioned a weird black goo at the bottom of the AC box in the drain hole, possible used to be a rubber grommet. I have the same thing. Does this mean the evaporator is leaking? And if so, can it be repaired?
In order to pull it, as per Rob's post #53 in:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...oration-2.html
Can I just pull the right side wheel well to access the hidden bolts?
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
Mac I agree with Eric a 100% my wife is a natural born teacher I keep telling her to go for it and the pay is why she doesn't want to do it so she is currently getting her accounting degree. Long story short I comend you on your life's calling !
Wait, are you saying I could make more money in another field???
Wouldn't matter. I'd be miserable if I weren't in the classroom. Now, the non-classroom BS gets a little old. I've been practicing my "I'm rubber and you're glue" attitude.

But thanks Justin. You guys are getting me all choked up...
Old March 28th, 2014, 05:49 PM

So....back to the Olds. I was reading Rob's "Into the Unknown" and he mentioned a weird black goo at the bottom of the AC box in the drain hole, possible used to be a rubber grommet, {actually I believe this was the drain tube}. I have the same thing. Does this mean the evaporator is leaking? And if so, can it be repaired?
In order to pull it, as per Rob's post #53 in:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...oration-2.html
Can I just pull the right side wheel well to access the hidden bolts?
Any ideas? I guess I'm wondering if I can somehow test the evaporator for leaks once it's out. The compressor is already off so no running tests.

Last edited by Macadoo; March 28th, 2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:17 PM

I've grown overdependent on you folks, lol. I'll get my lazy fingers working and do a little research. I'm guessing I'll have to take it somewhere (auto shop or HVAC?) but if I could figure out a way to pump it full of air, compressed to what, 100 psi? and submerge it in water, that might show bubbles if it's leaking?
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Im no pro with the ac systems on these cars but I would clean the system and run it then if it does leak get it fixed at that point. The box is easy enough to access. Any radiator shop can pressure test it and repair if needed. I would not trust a run of the mill repair shop. If you cant find a shop that specializes in radiators try a truck repair shop many truck repair shops still fix leaking cores and stuff of that nature.

Last edited by coppercutlass; March 28th, 2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You could use standard fittings to plug one end and plumb the other to an air compressor, but I believe that an A/C shop could probably do a better test.

Frankly, I have no idea - I just mess with them if they break.

- Eric
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:33 PM

Cool

Any chance that car will be running when I come down in a couple weeks? Or do I need to plan a garage stop?
Old March 29th, 2014, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Im no pro with the ac systems on these cars but I would clean the system and run it then if it does leak get it fixed at that point. The box is easy enough to access. Any radiator shop can pressure test it and repair if needed. I would not trust a run of the mill repair shop. If you cant find a shop that specializes in radiators try a truck repair shop many truck repair shops still fix leaking cores and stuff of that nature.
You could use standard fittings to plug one end and plumb the other to an air compressor, but I believe that an A/C shop could probably do a better test.

Frankly, I have no idea - I just mess with them if they break.

- Eric
Thanks guys. We used to have a local radiator shop, I'll check it out. I guess it was Rob's post about the dissolving rubber drain hose that's got me thinking it's leaking. And since I have to convert to 134a anyway.....

Originally Posted by Eubiedad
Any chance that car will be running when I come down in a couple weeks? Or do I need to plan a garage stop?
Chuck, not even a small chance. I'm still working on the engine bay and right now all I get are Saturdays if they aren't too cold. Feel free to drive out after the meeting. I'm not too far off your beaten path.
Old March 29th, 2014, 12:20 PM

Might...ahh no!.......

[IMG][/IMG]

...as......no no no......

[IMG][/IMG]

....WELL.......

[IMG][/IMG]

Dagnabitt. Now I suppose I'll have to do the other side....
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Should've bought one of those helmets while you had the chance.

I look forward to seeing what this car looks like when it's done... In the summer of 2016!

- Eric
Old March 29th, 2014, 02:59 PM

Should've bought one of those helmets while you had the chance.

I look forward to seeing what this car looks like when it's done... In the summer of 2016!

- Eric
Optimist
Old March 29th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Senior Moment Member

I got a good laugh from those last posts. Damn things just creep up and git ya! Next thing you know, you have a beautiful engine bay! LOL!
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
I got a good laugh from those last posts. Damn things just creep up and git ya! Next thing you know, you have a beautiful engine bay! LOL!
I do think it's going to look good, and hopefully work good, but I think it's time I draw the line. And I mean get a big, fat Sharpie and draw a real line. "Do not cross!" Lol.
Old March 30th, 2014, 06:12 PM

So I've been all over the map today trying to figure out which way to go with the AC. I want to get to it soon since I've gotten the wheel well out and I'm working on the firewall. To shorten the story, there seems to be plenty of R12 refrigerant available on eBay. If I test and/or replace the evaporator, replace all the o-rings, replace the port valves, in essence make the system tight, is there any reason to go through the hassle and cost of converting to 134a? Lastly, is there a difference between R12 and R12a?
Old March 30th, 2014, 06:17 PM

So I've been all over the map today trying to figure out which way to go with the AC. I want to get to it soon since I've gotten the wheel well out and I'm working on the firewall. To shorten the story, there seems to be plenty of R12 refrigerant available on eBay. If I test and/or replace the evaporator, replace all the o-rings, replace the port valves, in essence make the system tight, is there any reason to go through the hassle and cost of converting to 134a? Lastly, is there a difference between R12 and R12a?
Well nevermind. Seems we have to be EPA certified in order to purchase R12. Crap.
Old March 30th, 2014, 07:30 PM

You don't have to be certified to buy R12. I'm certified and you are supposed to be certified to get it. But you can buy it on Ebay, many sellers will sell it to you IF you sign a paper for them saying you bought it for a certified AC tech to use on your car. You can also take a test to become certified, weirdly...you don't have to have actual hands on experience! But you have to be "book smart" and know about AC systems, pressures, safety, etc.
Old March 30th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Mac, there is a specific sequence of events that have to take place to recharge your system and have run properly and last.
Old March 30th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

R12 is easy to get. I bought several cans a few months ago at a flea market for about $2 a can.
There's plenty of it out there.

- Eric
Old March 31st, 2014, 04:58 PM

Thanks fellas. I'll do my research. [other] Eric, I think I'm pretty familiar with what needs to happen. Tell me if I'm missing something.
1. Have the evap and condenser pressure tested and flushed.
2. Have the hoses inspected
3. Test the compressor
4. Inspect the POA valve
5. Replace the filter/dryer
6. Replace all o-rings
6b. Replace port valves
7. Assemble and vacuum to X lbs negative pressure
8. Charge (add oil first)

Of course this is just from memory. I'll be sure to do my homework but any and all advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Macadoo; April 1st, 2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old April 5th, 2014, 07:07 AM

My solution for degreasing with dawn and hot water in the garage. $8 from Dollar General and it conforms to whatever shape I need.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm starting to understand why Rob did so much disassembly. But I think I've successfully drawn the line. I'll degrease and paint what I can get to after taking apart that brake assembly.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hmm, aren't brakes supposed to have pads?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old April 5th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Hmm, aren't brakes supposed to have pads?
Those shoes look worn, but serviceable.

Since it's apart, it's reasonable to replace them, but they've got a few miles left in them.

- Eric
Old April 5th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Senior Moment Member

MY Pool!!!!
Old April 5th, 2014, 12:54 PM

Those shoes look worn, but serviceable.

Since it's apart, it's reasonable to replace them, but they've got a few miles left in them.

- Eric
Are they like discs? As in rivets = bad? I don't see any rivets but the drum has a pretty good groove down the center. So yeah, I'll be rebuilding the brakes. When I parked her there wasn't much braking power. Pedal went to the floor but I didn't see any fluid leaks. Wheel cylinder?

Originally Posted by z11375ss
MY Pool!!!!
>chuckle<
Old April 5th, 2014, 01:05 PM

Btw mac. I bought brembo drums for 40 bucks pre painted last year from summit racing. I did my whole front end suspension parts and steering along with brakes for just a tick over 400. I did get moroso trick springs and lakewood 90/10's for free which would have put me around 680 ish.
Old April 5th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Pedal went to the floor but I didn't see any fluid leaks. Wheel cylinder?
When wheel cylinders go bad, they leak.

Probably they were just out of adjustment.
Go through all four, with new shoes, spring kits, and adjusters and see how she feels.

- Eric
Old April 5th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Hookers under Hood

Hey Mac are you going to invite all us nice guys over for a swim and drinks when you all finished ? Those look like bonded shoes no rivets, I would replace all. Wheel cylinders and springs are cheap!! Just clean up the adjusters on a wire wheel and dab some copper anti seize on the threads.

Last edited by 76olds; April 5th, 2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old April 5th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 76olds
Just clean up the adjusters on a wire wheel and dab some copper anti seize on the threads.
I agree, if they're in good shape, but sometimes the star wheels are all bunged up and the threads are rusty, and if that's the case, adjusters are cheap, too.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; April 5th, 2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old April 5th, 2014, 02:48 PM

I'll need to pick up some brake tools before I go any further but they shouldn't be any problem. Thanks for the tips fellas.
76, I just went for a swim...in dawn soap and oven cleaner. Think I'll pass on that again for a while. I covered all the rubber boots and bushings in petroleum jelly before spraying with oven cleaner. It seemed to do the trick but time will tell. Nine band-aids (darn cotter pins) and I'm a little sore but it's pretty clean.
"I'm experiencing discomfort in my rototenpertilator." The B-9 robot form Lost in Space
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:13 PM

"Brake tools " whats that mean lol. Needle nose pilers and a flat screw driver should to the trick lol.
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Needle nose pilers and a flat screw driver should to the trick lol.
If you have a very high frustration threshold, anyway.

I prefer to do it with tools that make the parts just slip together or apart, without undue loss of skin.

Sure, I've used all kinds of implements of destruction to do this, but there's no comparison to using the right tools.

- Eric
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:36 PM

the only right tools I can think of is for the pins to compress the springs with the little cups you rotate and the adjuster lever you can use to install the long springs. I have done many sets of shoes with little to no frustration with those simple tools . Albeit I use locking needle nose pliers the smooth needle nose pliers will slip. if you have a pair of junk needle nose pliers grab a cut off tool and put on notch on them to grasp the little locking spring retainer for the pins. The only set of drums that had me frustrated was on a big box truck back when I was a mechanic helper working on fleet trucks. Also when doing drums its one of the very few times I wear mechanix gloves been there done that and it sucks I also wear safety glasses. I had a spring snap on me and hit me in the forehead and left a nice little scar.
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Hookers under Hood

I have to agree with Eric on that one, the over 47 shakes and needle nose pliers gets scary on the hold down springs lol. Specially if your eyes are as bad as mine.... I have to get my face in there. PFFFT I'd probably loose a nostril with a screw driver . I have the 2 brake tools myself .
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I have always found this tool to be the most useful, as well as the one for turning the spring clips that retain the shoes.

- Eric
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Hookers under Hood

X2 a must have brake tool rite their.

Quick Reply: Pulling the motor