Pulling the motor

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:45 PM

I may do a write-up for newbies after I get mine on the road. The one thing I would advise is buying brake cleaner by the case. Maybe yours isn't all greased up but buying one can at time, I think I've spent as much on brake Kleen as all the part put together
Old April 21st, 2014, 06:51 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

My whole car was media blasted prettty much no gunk lol. But in the event for degreasing I like engine degreaser or diesel fuel to soften the gunk up then power washing it. I essentially did a frame on resto. Now just replacing the mounts in the front then bushings and fixing 2 thin spots in the frame.
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

We'll all be curious to hear how you do with that radiator, Mac.

On the O-rings, why not just buy them at your local parts store? They should have plenty.

Oh, and I've got four or five gallons of BrāKleen that I picked up at a flea market last year. Gallons. In jugs. Brand name, sealed. I think I paid $4 a gallon for them. Should've bought more.
Keep your eyes open... You never know what will turn up.

- Eric
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:24 PM
Hookers under Hood

You guys have it good down there in the U.S, The prices for car stuff up here is crazy, a litre of amsoil up here $20.99, Pffft they couldn't sell it by the jug noooo. Brakleen $4 a gallon wow, No wonder I'm always broke up here!!! Mac, I would really like to know how that red works out as well.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
My whole car was media blasted prettty much no gunk lol. But in the event for degreasing I like engine degreaser or diesel fuel to soften the gunk up then power washing it. I essentially did a frame on resto. Now just replacing the mounts in the front then bushings and fixing 2 thin spots in the frame.
Hind sight being 20/20 and all, I should have taken it to a power washer before I did anything else. Having it stuck in the garage made that a little problematic. But other than the firewall, it's done now.

Originally Posted by MDchanic
We'll all be curious to hear how you do with that radiator, Mac.

On the O-rings, why not just buy them at your local parts store? They should have plenty.

Oh, and I've got four or five gallons of BrāKleen that I picked up at a flea market last year. Gallons. In jugs. Brand name, sealed. I think I paid $4 a gallon for them. Should've bought more.
Keep your eyes open... You never know what will turn up.

- Eric
Dang Eric, you have the best luck at flea markets! Not much car stuff at the sales around here. Although I did get my chrome Edelbrock air cleaner for $5 before I bought the car. It was the moment I decided I was actually gonna' do this. It's not perfect but now it has sentimental value. I think it's cool that the last thing I'll put on is the first thing I bought.

Originally Posted by 76olds
You guys have it good down there in the U.S, The prices for car stuff up here is crazy, a litre of amsoil up here $20.99, Pffft they couldn't sell it by the jug noooo. Brakleen $4 a gallon wow, No wonder I'm always broke up here!!! Mac, I would really like to know how that red works out as well.
It'll be a while before I know but I'll certainly report back.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:50 PM

Any reason to refurb the charcoal vent canister? Alan R calls it an obsolete system and if I delete it, it would be one less hose laying on top of my beautiful engine :-)
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:54 PM
Hookers under Hood

I got rid of mine Mac, Although I went with the non egr Eddy intake.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:28 PM

I got rid of mine Mac, Although I went with the non egr Eddy intake.
Yeah, I didn't have EGR to begin with, thank the gods for that one
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:31 PM

I know Allan's was still intact but does anyone know what this seal used to be made of? It came out of that interior channel. Pretty sure it keeps air from flowing around the evaporator. Can I use the 3M strip caulk I'll be using to seal the box to the firewall?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That's regular old dum-dum.

I think strip caulk is a modern equivalent.

- Eric
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:57 PM

It seemed like very old non-hardening sealer of some kind. Just thought I'd double check. Thanks Eric.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:29 PM

I think my plan for painting this summer is going' to have to wait another year. Even the home-brew paint job. But I want to minimize the "old lady" look (no offence ladies) so I've been playing with photoshop. I did the best I could scouring the internet for the Cragars with close to the correct angle. Whatcha' think?

Before:
[IMG][/IMG]

After:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You're not going to line this, Mac, but the Supreme IS a granny car - no way around it.

I think it looks better with the stock wheels.

Do get rid of the guido strip, though.

- Eric
Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:49 PM
Hookers under Hood

I'm a cragar guy myself!!! I like a deeper dish on the back it stuffs the rear better from the behind look. Kinda like Queens Fat bottom girls album ya know.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:08 PM

Well this wasn't my granny's car

[IMG][/IMG]

Honestly, and I'm going to take heat for this, but I've always liked this body style better than the fast backs.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Wheels are personal choice. The tires just need to fill the wheel wells.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Wheels are personal choice. The tires just need to fill the wheel wells.
I did the best I could with cut-and-paste
Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:10 PM
Hookers under Hood

I like the deep dish on the red cutlass I have the same in cragars on the rear of my 76. You going with the cragars ?

Last edited by 76olds; April 23rd, 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:09 PM

Cragar SS's have been the plan, I like the old school look. And pretty wide on the back with the deep dish (I just couldn't find a pic of deep dish with the proper angle for steeling for my mock-up). But I like the wheels on the red cutty as well. Anyone know what they're called?
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:14 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by Macadoo

[IMG][/IMG]

Honestly, and I'm going to take heat for this, but I've always liked this body style better than the fast backs.
Mac, my 72 looked like this in the rear, but I had cragers it made it come to life! as no one saw it as a hot did tell I put them on wish I would of had a better pic for you
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
Mac, my 72 looked like this in the rear, but I had cragers it made it come to life! as no one saw it as a hot did tell I put them on wish I would of had a better pic for you
Do you have any pics Justin? I'd love to see them.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:31 PM

I like cragars but to me its very very and I mean very hard to pull them off with out looking cliché in the car world. Not that im not because im rocking the weld pro stars but no cutlass in my area has those wheels. not I did play with tire sizes on my 72 with the stock rallye wheels which also look great painted some other color besides the body color.

Here it is with 275 50 15 's out back on a 15x7 and then 205 75 r 14 in the front with a 14x7. The bolt on center caps will give the appearance of a deeper dish.

Then here it is with 15x8's with 265 60 15's in the back and 26.5 x 5 in the fron on 15x5's

Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:31 PM
Justin

E7696FBE-B0C5-4E9C-BC86-0D3D30A675D6-4894-000068095023B5D8.jpg

Before pic 865FFFBF-92BA-459D-A6A1-278188986CC9-4941-00006814C9FD9D5F.jpg

I think I have a few more in my album
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Meh. Short Monte.

- Eric
Old April 24th, 2014, 04:19 AM

Then here it is with 15x8's with 265 60 15's in the back and 26.5 x 5 in the fron on 15x5's

These are the same wheels as the red supreme above. I like the look. What are they called?
Old April 24th, 2014, 04:22 AM

I like cragars but to me its very very and I mean very hard to pull them off with out looking cliché in the car world.
I think you guys are missing the point. The wife likes the Cragars. Nuff said?
Old April 24th, 2014, 04:48 AM

mac those wheels are the weld pro stars. there are other versions that have mor emeat on them. Mine weigh nothing. You could throw em across the room like a basket ball without even trying lol. I don't mind the cragars but don't got 15x10 in the rear with 15x8 in the front. I see a lot of guys doing that and I think it looks a bit ugly. personally I think a 15x8 with a 2 inch or 1 inch offset which you can order and a 15 x 6 in the front is the ticket. 275 60 15's in the front and some skinny tires in front like a 215 75 15. Im a big fan of the big and little look but with out being over the top. We did that combo on my dads 77 Bonneville but I regret goin with a 255 50 15 in think. nice wide tire but really short considering the opening of the wheel well.
Old April 24th, 2014, 09:12 AM

aesthetic counsel

Mac...leave the aesthetic prima dona stuff in the studio.

If the wife likes the Cragars, why ask us? Just go shopping and be glad you married so well. Save your debating skills for something more significant (like better lights in your garage).
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:58 AM

IMO getting rid of that stick on body side molding and those ugly white walls helps ALOT with losing the "old lady look" I do like the stock rally wheels but the Cragers are nice too. I prefer the old Keystone Classic wheels, i think Crager makes them now, not sure. Get big enough tires to fill the wheel wells it will look tough.
And I do like the look of the darker vinyl top too.

Last edited by steverw; April 24th, 2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: more
Old April 24th, 2014, 03:50 PM

mac those wheels are the weld pro stars. there are other versions that have mor emeat on them. Mine weigh nothing. You could throw em across the room like a basket ball without even trying lol. I don't mind the cragars but don't got 15x10 in the rear with 15x8 in the front. I see a lot of guys doing that and I think it looks a bit ugly. personally I think a 15x8 with a 2 inch or 1 inch offset which you can order and a 15 x 6 in the front is the ticket. 275 60 15's in the front and some skinny tires in front like a 215 75 15. Im a big fan of the big and little look but with out being over the top. We did that combo on my dads 77 Bonneville but I regret goin with a 255 50 15 in think. nice wide tire but really short considering the opening of the wheel well.
Whoa Copper, now that would be an interesting look. Not sure how it would handle though Really though, thanks for the insight. Your tire sizing is pretty much what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by Eubiedad
Mac...leave the aesthetic prima dona stuff in the studio.

If the wife likes the Cragars, why ask us? Just go shopping and be glad you married so well. Save your debating skills for something more significant (like better lights in your garage).
I like the way you think Chuck (and so does the wife!). What's wrong with my lights?! Oh....right

Originally Posted by steverw
IMO getting rid of that stick on body side molding and those ugly white walls helps ALOT with losing the "old lady look" I do like the stock rally wheels but the Cragers are nice too. I prefer the old Keystone Classic wheels, i think Crager makes them now, not sure. Get big enough tires to fill the wheel wells it will look tough.
And I do like the look of the darker vinyl top too.
I thought about the Keystones but that's what everybody ran in high school and I got a little burned out on the look. I've wanted Cragar SSs ever since my first ride, a '67 Firebird vert, but maybe now I can actually afford them....sort of. I am considering the Stars as well, I like that look a lot.
Old April 24th, 2014, 04:52 PM

Meh. Short Monte.

- Eric
Umm....huh?
Old April 24th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Hookers under Hood

I think you guys are missing the point. The wife likes the Cragars. Nuff said?

Lmao, so when you ordering your Cragars ANUF-SAID !!!
Old April 24th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Umm....huh?
It looks like a truncated Monte Carlo.

- Eric
Old April 24th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=MDchanic;688993]It looks like a truncated Monte Carlo.

LOL, I think Eric's been into the magic mushrooms
Old April 24th, 2014, 05:35 PM

Lmao, so when you ordering your Cragars ANUF-SAID !!!
Well first I have to finish the engine bay......and get the motor back in.....and fix the brakes.....and......and.....and.....

It looks like a truncated Monte Carlo.

- Eric
Oh! I thought it was a munchkin strip tease
Old April 24th, 2014, 07:07 PM

Lmao mac yes im going for that forklift look bigs in the front littles in the back lol. I cant believe I messed that up lol although I seriously laughed my @ss off picturing that lol.
Old April 24th, 2014, 07:27 PM

Lmao mac yes im going for that forklift look bigs in the front littles in the back lol. I cant believe I messed that up lol although I seriously laughed my @ss off picturing that lol.
You and me both brother
Old April 26th, 2014, 12:43 PM

I should have known what I was getting into when I started all this. I can't clean the dern kitchen without cleaning the whole house!
And it's impossible to get a good pic of a black painted firewall. It looks much better in person.

[IMG][/IMG]

Seam sealer sure ain't cheap. Almost $30 for a tube. I didn't need much and the label said it doesn't have much of a shelf life but I've had good luck using oil clay to seal other kinds of caulk so I'm giving it a try here too. I also covered both ends with duct tape.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Oops, still a little hose to get off of there.

[IMG][/IMG]

I used a little more than what is pictured but not much.

I've got all the components cleaned, painted and ready to re-install. Also gave the AC box a few shots of rattle can so it would match. I'm actually really pleased, it still looks fiberglass......just clean and black.

[IMG][/IMG]

And hey, I think I forgot to mention; the evaporator and condenser tested out just fine Just need a new dryer/receiver and expansion valve. Looks like I'll be going with good ol' R12.
Old April 26th, 2014, 01:42 PM

Looking Good Mac! While you're sprucing up the engine bay, MAW remove the wiring harnesses and clean them with Acetone.
OR, if you want to be real **** (like me) you can buy the wrapping tape on eBay (very inexpensive) and re-wrap those 2 coming off the firewall. Takes about an hour to strip and recover them both. I did mine and they turned out great. (Like icing on the cake..........)
Old April 26th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Hookers under Hood

That engine of yours is going to "pop" nicely in that engine bay, Oh I'm sure we will see a frame off restoration in the near future if you keep going lol. I really like your property btw.

Quick Reply: Pulling the motor