Radiator

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2018, 05:52 PM

Radiator

Good evening to all, hope life is great for everyone.
I have a question in regards to purchasing a radiator for my 70 cutlass, was wondering what is the official size radiator that I need.
this is my first encounter doing a rebuild so I'm learning on the fly.
also I purchased a cutlass chassis manual, but it hasn't arrived yet so I don't have an idea if the radiator info/ dimensions would be in the book.
would greatly appreciate some answers, thanks in advance.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 06:00 PM

Anything Cutlass IS NOT my expertise, but the general rule is we would need to know what engine you have what mods that have been done and if it has AC. The more info we have the better we can answer your question Welcome to CO lots of good help here...... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; April 23rd, 2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 06:41 PM

Radiator

Thanks for the reply Tedd. It has a 350, no A.C., 2bbl carb no modifications. Keeping it simple plan on giving it to my daughter maybe later down the line changing to 4bbl, but for now it' just 2bbl.
hope this can give better insight.
thanks Brian!
Old April 23rd, 2018, 07:33 PM

Hello Brian, welcome to the site! It still could be a 2, 3 or 4 row radiator. That's the thickness of the core, the number of tubes thick it is. The 2 and 3 row can use the same mounts, but if you don't have a 4 row already and want to upsize to it that will need the mounts and top plate changed too. Here's some old threads discussing radiators and pictures of different top plates. Also some threads discuss aluminum vs. factory copper/brass. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...radiators.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...r-pepboys.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-w-30-w-c.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tion-72-a.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-question.html
Old April 23rd, 2018, 09:04 PM

Radiator

Thank you very much 2blu442.
very insightful links. I greatly appreciate it.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Anything Cutlass IS NOT my expertise, but the general rule is we would need to know what engine you have what mods that have been done and if it has AC. The more info we have the better we can answer your question Welcome to CO lots of good help here...... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
It would also be helpful to know your location as the cooling system needs in northern Minnesota would be very different than what's needed in Death Valley.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 09:53 PM

Radiator

I live in Nj. It doesn' get extremely hot too often plus our seasons change every 3 or so months.
Old April 24th, 2018, 01:21 AM

If the manual you are expecting is the Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual, I would not expect to find any parts specifics in it such as dimensions. You didn't say the reasons you want a new radiator. If the old one is beyond repair, that would be a good reason. Many owners experience overheating problems due to various reasons. My climate is probably a bit warmer than NJ; my experience says to get the largest capacity which will physically fit. Too much cooling capacity will not be a problem; too little probably will. Many of the "A" bodies (includes Cutlass) had a standard radiator and a larger capacity for the vehicles equipped with the A/C option (C60) or the H.D. cooling option (Y72). You should try to read and understand the information in the links provided. The forum has a lot of information, but requires a bit of "digging" to access it all.

Last edited by Ozzie; April 24th, 2018 at 01:22 AM. Reason: rewording
Old April 24th, 2018, 01:53 PM

Radiator

Thanks for the response Izzy, the radiator is not a want rather a need. My radiator was discarded when a shop owner defaulted on his lease and never disclosing that info until after the fact.
I have gone through all links that were provided as well as pictures of top plates which has given me the belief that I have a 3 core too plate when comparing it to the pictures. I will now go through process of elimination to find the right one if that means by a few and return what ever doesn' fit.
just put a brand new rad support in so now time for new radiator.
appreciate you time, Brian.
Old April 24th, 2018, 01:58 PM

Might as well introduce you to the MAW [might as well while things are apart]
Old April 24th, 2018, 02:04 PM
72 Olds CS

Any of the popular parts store like autozone Napa or pep boys can provide you w a radiator that fits and works based on your cars options.

If you desire a "correct" radiator places like fusicks or the parts place can provide a reproduction that is similar to the original for likely more $ than a service replacement.
Old April 24th, 2018, 03:26 PM
MOTORHEAD

These guys have nice prices for new aluminum rads

http://www.autocityclassic.com/oldsmobile-radiators/

Measure your mounts for the tanks before you call them
Old April 24th, 2018, 03:48 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

If you don't want to replace it with an after-market aluminum unit . I have the correct 3 core 1970 cutlass FE code Harrison available.
Old April 24th, 2018, 05:46 PM

Radiator

Jameson, RetroRanger,four4two,and Luna boy thank you all for your responses. They are all greatly appreciated and quite helpful and insightful as well.
I will definitely let everyone know the out come of the situation once it is completed. Thanks again, Brian..