The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Need a little help

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2013, 05:34 PM

Need a little help

Hi, I have a 71 cutlass supreme with a 350, I just had a local shop install a new starter, accel plugs, msd 8mm wired and a Pro Form hei distributor about 2 weeks ago. My car ran fine for a weekend, put the family in it and went to a BBQ and when I arrived parked it let the family out and a buddy wanted to hear her growl so went to start it and nothing, power comes on but no nothing, tried it a couple of times and then saw the horn relay start to smoke and the post where there are about 4 wires on it with the bolt on it. Don't know much about mechanics but I am trying to trouble shoot my way threw this, does anybody have a idea what is happening and could a bad horn relay cause this? Thanks
Old July 18th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Administrator

It could have been a loose connection at the post. It also could be a bad connection at the starter causing that wire to get hot. That stud is where the wires branch from the main battery feed to the starter and then the alternator and the rest of the main power to the car.
Old July 18th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Well, then, time to start troubleshooting.

Start from scratch. What's your battery voltage? What is it when you (try to) crank?

Have you tried to jump the starter S terminal to the battery (+) terminal?

Have you checked your cables and wires for good, tight, clean connections?

Have you checked to be sure that the heavy (-) battery cable is connected to the engine block, and that the block is grounded to the body through a ground strap?

Have you considered sending it back to the garage that screwed it up in the first place?

- Eric
Old July 18th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

All good arguments for doing it yourself and knowing what was done.