The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

A little bit new, a little bit Olds

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2014, 04:04 AM

Talking A little bit new, a little bit Olds

Hello All.
I've been trolling the web for info and to jar some old memories, and these forums have proven to be a wealth of information. I'm looking forward to making some new memories. Here is my short story:

I'm a gearhead at heart, but not a true motorhead. I've owned one Oldsmobile in my life... a 1970 Cutlass S with a 350 Rocket, TH350, 2-bbl carb, and single exhaust... white with a black vinyl top. I bought it used in 1976 for $975. At that time, it really wasn't anything so special, but I loved the heck out of that ride. It had power, ran smooth, was easy and cheap enough to work on, and looked mean wearing slotted Cragar mags and G60 Uniroyals, Monroe air shocks and a 3" lift on the back. Every time I turned the key and backed it out of the driveway, I was having fun. I even rode it hard for 34 hours straight from southern California to Kansas City, then turned around the next day and used it to pull my girlfriend's blown-up Audi back across the Rocky Mountains in a snowstorm. The girlfriend later became my wife, and I'd be embarrassed to say what I let her talk me into trading the Cutlass for in 1979. So I no longer have the car or the wife, but if I could choose to have either one back again, I'd choose the car in a heartbeat.

Now, all these years later, I'm really tired of tin cans and toy cars. Don't get me wrong, I love my F-150, and it would pull the bumpers off any Japanese car ever made without even chirping the tires, but it's not the same. I'm ready to get back into the game and revive some of that fun I had behind the wheel so long ago.

I'm not a great mechanic by any means, but I've turned a lot of wrenches and pulled a few heads in my day, rebuilt a few motorcycles and customized a few more. I've never been afraid to get some grease on my face, and although I really don't need another project, it would be really nice to have one that's not only about fixing things that broke or preventing them from breaking.

Looking forward to another good ride, and learning some of what you more serious gearheads can teach me along the way...
Old February 5th, 2014, 04:26 AM
Old School Olds

Welcome to CO.
Check the for sale section,
you never know what will pop up.
Old February 5th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Welcome.
Old February 5th, 2014, 03:01 PM
same but different

Welcome, like your story.

When looking for an Olds you don't need , buy as little rust as you can. The more complete the better. Far better off in the long run.
Old February 5th, 2014, 03:53 PM

You have a truck so getting a nonrunning car from out west or down south for cheap is not out of the question. Trailer it home. Opens up some possibilities.
Old February 5th, 2014, 03:58 PM
The Noob Messiah

Welcome aboard and good luck finding your car....You gotta go for it whilst you're motivated. The fourms today are an incredible wealth of information, a dozen aftermarket parts sellers out there too. Especially for '70 model S.