The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Introductions

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site Gary. I am going to move this up to the introductions sub-forum, as it will probably get more views there.

edit; well, somehow couldn't get it to the introductions sub-forum but now it is all on it's own....
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

You mean move it to here?

Welcome Gary.

C.J.
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Past Administrator

how did you do that? Merge function?
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

PFM. (Pure Flippin' Magic)

C.J.
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Talking Hello Everyone

Hi all, my name is Peggie and for my Birthday this year my husband bought me a '71 Olds. Cutlass Supreme Convertible. We were married at the age of 19/20 and he said he always regretted not getting me a large rock. As we are electricians, I didn't feel wearing a large diamond every once in a while was a good idea so he bought me a large chunk of vintage iron instead! He kept me in the dark for over a month and after a few failed inspections of local vehichles we bought this one out of Mass. She has 64,000 original miles on her and NO rust! Finding a Cutlass w/o rust was extremely difficult but necessary because despite having a neighbor who loves to work on classics (he has 2 Dodge Dippys, cop cars '87 & '88) he HATES to do body work. There are a few little things we'll need to do, nothing real critical thank goodness! I'll have to figure out how to post some pictures of her in MY driveway. I drove a '72 Cutlass 442 (yes w/ a 455!) as a teenager, but as young kids, my siblings and I didn't take good enough care of it. Dad sold it in 1991 for around $500, and says he wished he knew then what he knows now! Hope to learn a lot from this site, its hard to remember all the things Dad and I worked on nearly 20yrs. ago, but I've already gotten my hands dirty on my car and I'm not afraid to break a few nails for her! OK, so I guess my Avatar IS of her in my driveway, I just can't figure out how to add some other pictures I have. A computer guru I'm not.
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Welcome Peggie! Nice little bio there, and congrats on the '71 CS! I'm kinda partial to them m'self....
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Thanks Paul, got any links for manuals? Neighbor says I gotta have 'em, guess I can't just wing it or take to the locals like I do the mini-van!
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by 1971OldsGal
Thanks Paul, got any links for manuals? Neighbor says I gotta have 'em, guess I can't just wing it or take to the locals like I do the mini-van!
Depends on how much wrenching you want to and can do yourself, versus if you've got a trusted mechanic or shop locally. I have a little of both.

On manuals, I've found everything I've ever needed on eBay. Do a search on "1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass" or similar, you'll get about 15 pages of stuff from small to elaborate (not just manuals, either!). Sort by price, and just start looking through what's out there. I found chassis manuals (the ones the GM mechanics used to use) to sales brochures and everything in between. Let me know if there's something specific you need but can't find, and I'll help you track it down.

Hope this helps!
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Justin,
Welcome to our site! From your avatar, if that is your car, it looks pretty nice! With you interest in late fifties and early sixties customs, you should check out the H.A.M.B. over at jalopyjournal.com I think you would enjoy visiting over there. You can get most everything you need to rebuild your 394, my son rebuilt the 394 in his '64 98 about five years ago. Fusick and Kanter were a great help in that respect. They are both on the web.
thanks! gotta love the H.A.M.B i've been with it since '99. i also frequent http://losboulevardos.com/ alot. i wish the one in my avatar was mine, the one i own is a little ruffer.
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

... You can get most everything you need to rebuild your 394, my son rebuilt the 394 in his '64 98 about five years ago. Fusick and Kanter were a great help in that respect. They are both on the web.
Fusick I'm well aquainted with Dan, but Kanter I haven't dealt with. Are we talking these guys? http://www.kanter.com/ Thanks!
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:09 AM

New to forum guys, but I am ready to learn all about my new car. Owner says the car is Cutlass S with 442. He says it has a 455 in it. From what I can see it ain't the 350 rocket. This is the vin 3G77H2R169145 it was column shift but he has a bm floor shifter installed. It's a 2 door post
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Welcome, Gotham. Your questions were answered in the other forum.

Tell us about yourself.

C.J.
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks for welcoming me. Well I live in Houston and I work in the IT industry.Recently sold 67 lincoln conti coupe, wanted a muscle car instead of cruiser.It was definitely getting expensive to repair and not many performance mods available.
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Cool! 70Wcars (a GREAT QJet guy and racer) and I live in San Antonio. May I suggest you contact the Gulf Coast Chapter of the Olds Club of America http://www.texasgulfcoastoldsclub.org/.

Good folks with a good source of parts, cruising and likeminded Olds folks.

C.J.
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:49 AM
Toliver

Post Introduction

My name is Dejuan and I own a 4-door 1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme 350. I'm out here in Indianapolis, IN in desperate need of restoration guidance. Money doesn't grow on trees around here, but any direction and all help would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to getting to know whoever's interested. THANKS to ALL
P.S. Could anyone in the Indy area message me so I might know who's local? THANKS again to ALL
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:29 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by 77 oldsMAbrotha
My name is Dejuan and I own a 4-door 1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme 350. I'm out here in Indianapolis, IN in desperate need of restoration guidance. Money doesn't grow on trees around here, but any direction and all help would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to getting to know whoever's interested. THANKS to ALL
P.S. Could anyone in the Indy area message me so I might know who's local? THANKS again to ALL
Welcome Dejuan! I too have been watching for how to do things on an extreme budget, as we picked up a '75 Cheby for my son and I do with the idea of doing everything as cheaply as possible. Anyway, here's some articles and things to get you started goin on a budget.
Patina: http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...ods/index.html
$98 paint job: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1
The above actually works - check out the July 2007 issue of Hotrod magazine, where they tried it and got IMPRESSIVE results.
Finally, on the performance front, check out the current issue of Hotrod too, as there are several cars in running in the 10s and lower on basically junk yard parts. Incredible.

Have fun!
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:33 AM

Hey Dejuan! We live on the west side of Indy, "little" burg of Avon!
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Hi, my name is Jesse. I own a 64 Olds 98 4 door hardtop. My wife, Amy and I live in Fort Sill, OK. I am in the US Army. Hopefully I can get some good advice from everyone. Even Oldsguy, he is my old man.
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by Olds64
Hi, my name is Jesse. I own a 64 Olds 98 4 door hardtop. My wife, Amy and I live in Fort Sill, OK. I am in the US Army. Hopefully I can get some good advice from everyone.
Nice ta meecha, Jesse. Thanks for serving (USAF 20 years here). You're welcome to ask away!
Originally Posted by Olds64
Even Oldsguy, he is my old man.
HOO-BOY! You could probably give ME advise!

C.J.
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:27 PM

MST3K! "Last week on KNIGHTS!"
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Jesse,

You are the first one to get that (or at least comment on it). Tommy Gun is my hero. My old sig was:
"Bite me, Pink Boy!"
-Htom Sirveaux

C.J.
Old July 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM

new from connecticut

hi my name is kris,im should be getting a 69 cutlass ''s'' (mild project) in the next few days. i was wonderig if there were any other people on this site from ct. if all goes well tomarrow i will be on here alot looking for advice and parts.
Old July 31st, 2007, 08:31 PM

Long...

Hi Olds Fans! My name is Don & I've been around the site for a while. Even posted a few times. Thought I should say Hi & introduce myself.

I'm 49 & live in Portland, OR. Grew up in Indiana. Moved to Texas in 1981. And towed a 1950 Chevy window van project with me. Had to sell it a year or two later, lack of funds. (Kids & a home addition project) Texas got too hot or I got too old to take the heat. So I moved to California in 1999 to be near my kids for a while. Then moved north to Oregon 2 years ago. CA's a little too crowded for me.

Three grown kids, 5 grandkids & an ex in CA. The ex is remarried and her hubby is Pappa Mark and I'm Pappa Don to the grandkids. Plus I'm a Cowboys fan. So that should explain the screen name.

I do industrial maintenance for a living. I've been called anything from a maint. man to a millwright. But usually just get called when something's broke.

I can weld & fabricate pretty well, but bodywork's a different story. Last fall I signed up for an Auto Restoration (bodywork) class at a comm. college. So every other Saturday I take something to class to work on. Usually my '66 Jetstar 88.

I've nearly always had a project car around somewhere. Current Olds projects are the '66 Jetstar 88 2dr. H/T I mentioned above. And a 1969 442 hardtop that's a major project. Or should I say needs major work.

I plan to pick up a digital camera in the next month or so. And plan to post some pictures then.

Sorry this got so long. Don
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:00 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome guys! Kris, get your car yet? Hope you are enjoying it..
Don, I have told myself since I retired from the Navy that I want to learn how to weld at a local junior college and haven't yet. Need to make more room in my life for the stuff that counts.....
Old August 1st, 2007, 09:19 PM

New to forums,just want to say hi and show off my new ride.

Picked this up on the weekend for 3500 bucks,
its a 6, with ice cold air(all new)rebuilt carb,trans,resealed motor, not a spot or rust anywhere, paint has faded some what, interior is mint and super clean, no pdl,pm,pl. no tack or gauges(don`t like that) took that for granted when i had my 87 monte SS. new rubber, rims are good condition, rings have a bit of curb rash, new bumpers front and back, excellent cruising car in the city, wanted one since highschool, did`nt find one nice enough till i was 31.
I love it.

Its an 1987 Cutlass Supreme.
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/773/interior2wg1.jpg
http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/5...earsnowvs6.jpg
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/1...terior1ge4.jpg
Old August 1st, 2007, 10:52 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Welcome, NDN. Sounds nice! What year is it?

C.J.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:33 AM
Past Administrator

WHAT is it?
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:25 PM

Hi all

a little bout myself, i work at General Electric here in Peterborough Ont. Large Motors Division, Yup finally got the car i always wanted, its pretty gutless due to the 2 barrel carb, . It needs a paint job, any suggestions on which color Grey i should go with?lol. This car was owned by a mechanic that kept her super clean, interior is complete and clean, no rips or wear whatsoever, the undercarriage has been oiled since day one, i scratched some oil off the rear frame only to find black paint, its high kliks 144, but it runs smooth and quiet. I could`nt believe he only wanted 3500$cdn for it. He also has a 83 Malibu 4 dr thats pretty sweet and for sale. I`m going to add true duals and delete the cat for better sound i know it won`t do anything for performance though. It`ll get a nice 350 built by Crosstown Engines in the fall just before she goes into hibernation. I have a question about the carb, is the flapper supposed to be open all the way when its warm? Cause i know on a 4 barrel its partly shut when its warm. Anyway, i look forward to sharing with all you fellow Olds Fans.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:49 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site GivR. The choke plate on any carburetor should FULLY open after warm up. An out of adjustment choke can be a common problem, especially with the bi-metal spring type elements that Rochester used on their carbs. Between the changes in the spring tension due to age and the linkage just getting old, dirty, and sticking sometimes the choke won't open up all the way. Is the choke on your carb a round black device on the passenger side of the car? If so, you can loosen (not remove) the three screws around the perimeter of the black disc and rotate that disc to adjust the position of the choke plate. It is best to do this after the engine has warmed up fully. Turn the engine off and ask a helper to hold the throttle to the floor to keep the linkage open then adjust that disc till the choke plate is open. Re-tighten the three screws and you are done! Good luck.
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:33 PM

Welcome to the forum. My second Olds was a '71 Cutlass, nice model! Thanks for your service. Is the cat-eating thing an Airborne deal or what??
sorry about the late response oldsguy. I have been in beautiful Ft Polk, LA conducting training for about a month. The cat eating represents hard charging and willingness to survive. I guess its a poke at all the tough guys that are "too cool" to like cats. which you come across alot of them in the Army. I am a cat person, and ironically the picture makes me laugh just about every time I see it. I mean come on? look at it!! He is eating a kitten!! who does that?
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Hello All,
My name is Wayne. I'm 60 years old and been an Olds fan since I can remember. My dad had 55, 57, 58, and 63 Oldsmobiles and my uncle had 55 & 59 88's and a 66 Toronado. I had a 65 442 in high school and 71, 85 and 94 Cutlass's later on.
Right now I have a very rough 65 442 that I'm gathering parts for. In the mean time I'm restoring a 67 Camaro RS that my son drove in high school. Hope to finish it next summer and then start on the 442.

Take Care All,
Wayne
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Past Administrator

Hi Wayne,

I love the '56 body style, can't get enough of it. Hope you enjoy your stay here. Get that Camaro done so we can watch your 442 come into shape.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:33 PM

Hi, My name is Brian and I'm an Olds addict. I just picked up a 1969 Cutlass Supreme and am in the process of rebuilding a '69 350 that I picked up seperately (car had no motor).

This is not my first Cutlass. My first car ever was a '68 Cutlass with a straight six 250/Powerglide. I've also owned a '68 442 that I never got driving before selling it off, and I've also had a '69 Cutlass S that I sold before I was supposed to go into the military (which never happened). So I'm very excited to be back into a '68-'69 Cutlass considering they are so much harder to find than they were when I got my first one.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Welcome, Brian!

C.J.
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site Brian. Hope you get your car exactly the way you want it.
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Nothing new beats an Olds

Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I bought a '54 Olds 88 2 door post 5 days ago. Beuatiful car - needs a few things here and there (a paint job for one - it's currently primer grey) but she's in great shape and has all the original equipment, so I'm pretty excited about it! I love a good car project!

If anybody has any tips or advice to give regarding painting a car, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Kevin

http://home.mchsi.com/~reaganite/olds_88.htm
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Wow I never noticed this thread (my DeeDeeDee moment). Well I'm Brandon I got my first job at 15 just so I could buy a Cutlass I had been drolling over for a while. That car has been long gone for many years now and I ventured off into other GM products only to find myself buying another Oldsmobile ('69 88). I worked on the 88 for many years even took it to the track for one summer (I got a 15.2 with the little white wall tires). After gas prices started shooting up with no signs of stopping I regrettably sold my Olds to a guy in Sweden. I don't really feel the need post because I don't own an Olds now but I do check my PM's from time to time (I had parts for sale a long time ago and still occasionally get a PM about them) and lurk to see what wonderful cars are being built. I uploaded a picture of my 88 leaving for Sweden (what a sad day that was).

I recently found a turn signal cover for a '69 88 (Free to anyone who will pick it up Please PM me). Well best of luck to everyone. Keep those Oldsmobile's running right.
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by 54olds
Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I bought a '54 Olds 88 2 door post 5 days ago. Beuatiful car - needs a few things here and there (a paint job for one - it's currently primer grey) but she's in great shape and has all the original equipment, so I'm pretty excited about it! I love a good car project!

If anybody has any tips or advice to give regarding painting a car, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Kevin

http://home.mchsi.com/~reaganite/olds_88.htm
Kevin,
Your 54 looks really good.
As for the paint: read all that you can about the types of paint, equipment needed, and the safety aspects of doing it yourself. I plan to do my own painting. The devil is in the details. You have to get the body straight, and the body work and primers laid down correctly. Paint will not cover up poor preparation. It's a lot of work, but worth in the long run to say you did it yourself. But don't take shortcuts.
Make sure you KNOW what is under that grey primer. I would take it down to bare metal and start from scratch with compatible primers and paint.
Again, nice looking car. Enjoy it.

Wayne
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Hey everyone my name is Jim, I'm a 48 year old building engineer,I live in
Debary ,FL I own a 1975 Delta 88 Royale convertible with 86000 original
miles. I have been a motorhead all my life, mostly Ford and Mopar, this
my first Olds and I love it. I spent 6 years in the Air Force as a Aircraft
Weapons Specialist,I'm a member of the Oldsmobile club of Florida and
the Olds club of America. Thanks for having me.
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Past Administrator

Wow, we have had lots of activity on this thread in the last few days. Welcome to all of you. Kevin, I like that green as it shows on the interior of your '54, are you thinking of a complimentary green exterior? Maybe a green on green two tone or cream on green would be nice. Wayne you are so right about preparation, I did the preparation myself on a '69 Delta (speaking of that, too bad you sold yours Brandon) and wish I had been more careful, it lasted about five years and began to show it's age, I think I could have avoided that situation if I had taken more time on it. Jim, we owned a '74 Delta four door for a few years and it was the most comfortable Olds I think I have ever owned, very big and the ride was smooth as glass. You can't beat a big Olds for comfort!

Quick Reply: Introductions