The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Introductions

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Past Administrator

Thumbs up Introductions

For all members, post and introduce yourself so we may know one another better.

I own a '46 model 66 project, in the process of turning into a Hot Rod. My name is Dan, I am 51 years old, served 21 years in the US Navy, now work in a Motorola shop repairing raios and 2-way communication equipment. I am still married and have two adult children, my son also likes Oldsmobiles and owns a '64 98 six window. I have liked Oldsmobiles my whole life, my first Olds was a '64 Cutlass that I wish I never sold (isn't that the way it always goes?) I wish I could weld and know I could learn from the local Junior College but don't have the time or the money to invest right now. Would love to work on Oldsmobile projects all day long but must earn money to pay bills .

Next..........

Last edited by Oldsguy; October 4th, 2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I'm C.J. and I own a 1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible. I live in San Antonio, Texas and am the newsletter editor for the South Texas Oldsmobile Club.

20 years in the Air Force; 12 years in aircraft maintenance (comm/nav) and 8 years in Respiratory Therapy. Retired 8 years ago and still dong RT work. 2 children and 3 grandchildren.

Grew up helping my dad work on cars literally under a shade tree. I've owned pretty much everything over the years from a 71 Triumph Spitfire (which I autocrossed) to a 4x4 Chevy 3/4 ton 455. But I have always been a ragtop man at heart!

My Cutlass (Why do people insist on calling it a "Cutty"? That's a euphamism for a part of the female anatomy!) is red/white/white, matching numbers 350/350, 4 core radiator, Hurst Dual Gate, Cruise Control, A/C, dual cutout bumper and bumper guards. Extra goodies are bored .030 over, heads pocket ported and heat risers filled, Lunati BracketMaster 2 cam, E'brock Performer RPM with a massaged QJet, CS-130 alternator, LT-1 electric fans, ceramic-coated headers, 2000 stall, and 3.42 posi.

Currently in for paint. One of the guys in the club is showing me "real" bodywork ("We don't need no stinkin' Bondo!") and how to paint. Going with "Bright Red" used on mid-80s Trans-Ams and Corvettes.

That's me...who are you?
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Wink introduction

Hello Gals & guys ,My name is Larry 50 yr young Just happen to like cars older than me I own a 54 Rocket 88 ,Live in S/W Mo. Ozarks ,Lake Pommedetere ,Life long mechanic ,10 yr with Ford dealership in KC.before going out on my own 25 yr ago,1st Shop in S.Kc,Specelizing in electrial & air cond ,Hvac.Have been working with show cars since age 15 .Moved out of the city 10 yr ago ,Full time, Got establashed now trying to slow down to Vintage & classic cars mainly ,Work is much more enjoyable ,I started a locater service for these cars & trucks ,which there are plenty of around here ,Really enjoy being a member of this site .So much info to get & give to others with like interest Larry Henry. visit the site ,under reconstruction, we welcome opinions & advice vintageozarks.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1954_oldsmobile_88_thumb.jpg (2.4 KB, 53 views)
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Retired Oldsmobile Assembly Line Worker

Hi, My name's Bill. My first car was a '54 Super 88 that I bought in 1970 at the age of 17. Hired in at Oldsmobile in August 1971. Retired this last July. I currently have a '81 Delta 88 that I changed a few things on. More of a sleeper/beater/rat style as I'm not one to worry about dings and scratches. It's what's inside that counts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
w88282.JPG (54.1 KB, 46 views)
Old December 15th, 2006, 03:02 AM

Hey Im Scott. 19 yrs old, attending school in laramie WY at wyotech (anyone know it?) Ive worked on imports all my life, owned quite a few too, BMW, Hondas mostly, a few nissan 300's and some datsuns. Worked at a honda dealership for 1yr before coming here. Im tired of all teh crap that ownign a honda/import brings and I wanted something different. Something not many people see or drive or race. I found it, a 1966 Olds. Starfire. Ive only driven it about 80mi. and Im absolutley in love with it. its in the process of restoration, miror bodywork and fixing of suspension. then im not sure, its a bit nice to race, ad a bit heavy weighin 4300lbs. but its a great crusier. Im going olds for my next car also. (70ish 442!) oh and uhmm...I taught myself how to work on cars because my school didnt offer classes and my mom didnt approve of me helping my dad. But i feel better about it now, since I know mostly what im talking about. Oh yea and its near impossible to work on my cars here, Id get kicked out of my apartment so at 3am I work on them unless its cold like tongiht.
anyone living near me (how can you stand it!?!?) should come vist or we should get together. ALways love to meet new people.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:41 AM

Hi all, I'm John and have been playing with Oldsmobiles since about 1982. My first Olds came when I found a 1970 Rallye 350 being eaten by blackberry vines. I didn't know what it was but thought it looked like a cool car so I bought it and drug it home. Since then I've been collecting cars and parts, mostly 1964-77. I emphasize collecting since I've only restored one car and have a driveway full of projects I want to do someday.... I live in Medford Oregon which is fairly dry country and about 300 miles from the nearest melting pot, so there's still old iron laying around. My intention was to drag home parts cars, keep what I need and sell the rest to pay for rebuilding the cars I want to keep. The problem has been that I've drug home too many and am spending all my time parting things out and filling my garage with parts. In case you haven't guessed I'm single, so I have the time to play in the driveway (since the garage is now full!). I really enjoy the car hobby and if anybody is passing through and has the time please stop by. Who knows, you may find something you can't live without! Oh yeah, I'm 48 and work in Forestry. In the last few years I got a good enough position that I can spend some money on my hobby after the bills have been paid!
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:44 AM

Hi, I'm Kevin. I've been a gearhead all my life. Started at about 5 years old sitting in the garage watching Dad work on his 300 SL. Been hooked ever since. I have had an endless number of cars and can say I still like my Olds the best. First car was a '69 Cutlass Supreme. I tried to buy a '70 Challenger R/T but my Mother put the pinch on that as the Challenger was built nasty strong and she put an end to that. The supreme, neither she nor I had any idea that someone prior to me had massaged it a little and it was a runner. Thus my love of '69 Olds came to be. I started out selling parts at the local speed shop. Worked my way up to Asst. Mngr.. I decided I needed a career change when our machinist retired after 30+ years and I wasn't impressed with his quality of life. Into the Navy I went and took a vacation to the Persian Gulf. After the Navy I went to work for Hewlett Packard. Worked there until the famous downsize 5 years back. Now I am a residential home builder. Isn't life crazy. Still a gearhead though. I currently own (2) '69 Cutlass S's, '70 Challenger, '83 Porsche 928. You all know how it goes, so many toys, so little time.
Old December 29th, 2006, 07:37 AM

Hello

My name is Gene, 58 years old and I'm a retired Ford partsman. I got out of the Air Force in Feb. '71 and went to every OLDS dealer of which no body needed a beginner, I had to have a job, stop by a Ford dealer and been working ever since. After 34 years and only 4 different dealers I retired.
After all the years with Ford, never had any Ford cars. I do own a Ford truck. My first was a '56 OLDS Holiday. and a number of OLDS since. I've had my '50 Coupe since '68, mostly '64 to '72 Cutlass lately.
Now that I have more time, I work on only OLDSMOBILE's. I have a small hobby shop for OLDSMOBILE only. My sons and I have a great time doing odds and ends together.
I'm from Chicage IL. have been in Calif. since '67 Hope to help in any way I can. (Gene's OLDSMOBILE only)
Gene
Old December 29th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Past Administrator

Hi Gene, good to have you over here and thanks for introducing youself. Looking forward to more of your participation in the future.
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Hi, my names Henry i'm 17 and i own a 95 oldsmobile cutlass ciera 3.1L V6. I got the car free. For it being one of the youngest cars on this site the test of time has been hard on it. It has 237 thousand miles on it. The car runs fine it has a good engine ,but it needs improvements inside and out. I'd love to restore it but its going to be to tough in doing so. Being that you have to be 18 to get a job at almost every store. Theres lots of little things i need to fix a few that just need fresh parts. I'll make a list soon and post it. Thx to all in making this site.
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Welcome Henry! A free car is a good thing.

Let us know what help you need. We'll help you with what we can.

C.J.
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:45 PM

thanks tex
Old December 29th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site Henry, hope you enjoy your Cutlass and we can help you get it looking real nice and running well!
Old December 29th, 2006, 01:37 PM

thank you Dan
Old December 30th, 2006, 09:53 PM

woohoo better
Old January 1st, 2007, 01:09 PM
Past Administrator

Wow, go away for the weekend and your house gets trashed. It took me about 20 minutes to delete those five or six spams, is anyone else experiencing slow load times for this site? I notified admin about our troubles, maybe they can get some kind of filter on this site, hopefully.
Old January 1st, 2007, 02:03 PM

Those spamers don't give up. Man, they just don't get it, do they. it does seam to run a little slower. There must be some way to prevent them from getting in.

Gene
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:30 AM
Past Administrator

C.J. had a couple of recommendations that I will pass on to Admin. Hopefully those might help.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 07:06 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
C.J. had a couple of recommendations that I will pass on to Admin. Hopefully those might help.
...and then there's "hunt them down and kill them like the dogs they are..."

Seriously, is there IP logging? There's a lot that someone with a little imagination and a few "skills" could do with information like that...

C.J.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Senior Moment

The problem with IP logging and retaliation is there are "programs" that hijack
innocent computers and spam from them. One day I opened my email program and it was filled with responses from people threatening to do all kinds of unnatural acts to certain orifices because my email address was used for **** spam. Turns out the computer was infected with a worm...
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
Past Administrator

Yeah, I heard something like that once, too bad. For every fix, there is another attack/spam/gimmick/ whatever. Well, whatever. I promise to try and log on more during the weekend and keep this junk down. C.J. and I are trying to get this uder control but we can only do so much. We have no control over the site design and what programs it runs for self-protection.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by Jokers69
The problem with IP logging and retaliation is there are "programs" that hijack
innocent computers and spam from them. One day I opened my email program and it was filled with responses from people threatening to do all kinds of unnatural acts to certain orifices because my email address was used for **** spam. Turns out the computer was infected with a worm...
True, but that's indiscriminant email bombing...this is something a bit different. And if you care to do the digital legwork, you can tell by the ip if it is a victim or a dirtbag and take appropriate action.

Or so I've heard...

C.J.

FWIW, AVG AntiVirus is free and rated higher than Norton.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:56 PM

hi my name is Carter and im 19 and drive a 1984 Olds Delta 88 Royale. I play paintball and have been running a team for 6 years. I'm currently in my second year of college for Mechanial Engineering at the Rochester Institute of Technology.

~Carter

PS looks like we got some spammers up there...
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Welcome, Carter.

Dan's working like a dog to get 'em outa here. Problem is, there's more spam bots than there are Dans!

He's working on getting me Admin priveleges to help him out.

If you need anything, just ask. Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something. And, of course, contribute when you can.

C.J.

Dan, Sorry about the brain fart on your name. That's what I get for staying up all night working on the newsletter.....
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome Carter,

I hope he comes up with something, those spammers are really bad. It seems they show up every day now.
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:08 PM

Hey, the names Chris. I bought a 1980 Cutlass Supreme from a family friend thats in the middle of restoration right now. I have always loved those cars, so it was like a blessing to get one for 250 bucks, and in decent shape.

I joined the forums to get a little background on a motor I picked up for it. Finding the specs is proving difficult.
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Welcome, Chris! Here's a bit of history and specifics on your car:
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z2101/default.aspx

If you have any specific questions, pick the appropriate forum and ask away.

C.J.
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Hi!

The name is John and I am in the USAF. I have been an Olds man pretty much by default. Dad has a stable of Oldsmobiles, most notably a 1966 442 and a 1967 original W-30. Through all the Olds he had, my first car HAD to be an Olds. A 1979 Cutlass Supreme 2 dr DIESEL!!! Blew that fuel pump, and replaced it with a 67 330 motor. Got rid of that car for a 1981 Salon called the "Virginian" Wish I had that car back or knew more about it. Traded it for a 1987 which I sold when I got stationed overseas. Got back in 2000, and was Oldsless until September 2004 when I bought my 71 Supreme. Later on I found out that the 1979 AND the 87 that I owned both got wrecked after I sold them.
My mechanical background is a AOS degree in Automotive technical service, with about 15 years of experience to follow. I still don't know it all by any means but I know enough to be dangerous!!!

So here I am.

John
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I've seen you around and I'm glad you're here. I'm retired USAF.

What is an AOS degree? I only have a BA in "BS".

C.J.
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:37 PM

They tell me it is an Associates (degree) in Occupational Science. and yes....I'm the same guy trying to get some parts from that poor crushed cutlass you scooped up
Old January 27th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by Eightupman
I'm the same guy trying to get some parts from that poor crushed cutlass you scooped up
You never emailed me, so I thought you didn't need anything. Email me!

C.J.
Old January 28th, 2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by texasred
You never emailed me, so I thought you didn't need anything. Email me!

C.J.
PM Sent!!! I tried to send another but your a popular guy cause your box is FULL!

John
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:11 AM

Unhappy Missin' my Olds! :(

Hi, I'm Tracy. I don't really fit in here 'cause I'm not a guy, not a gearhead or even own an old car right now. About an hour ago I was about to burn a CD, and I was going through some files that my kids and kid's friends had on my puter... and I ran across 4 jpegs labeled "mama's car" 1 thru 4. I thought, how sweet of my kids to download those and label 'em like that. And for no reason at all, I began a google search on '72 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible... which was 'my' car. The more I viewed pictures and posts, the more I cried. I had no idea I missed my car and loved it that much... and I can't stop crying now! You can tell I'm a girl, a? LOL! And all over a damn car, too!!! She was a Rocket 350, Canary Yellow and Beautiful! I got her in '98 and I think it was '03 or '04 when I had to part with her. I had her in NJ for a year while I lived there... but for the most part, she was in Texas. I never parted w/her Texas plates. I bought a new top for her and had it for about 2yrs., but could never afford to have it replaced. Single w/3 girls, and little by little more and more kept going wrong... I couldn't afford to fix her up or keep her running well enough. I had crappy duct tape covering the top and when it rained, my kids got wet in back... and although the heater worked great, we would still freeze. My MOM is the reason why she's gone today. I have to blame someone.... surely not me... ha! Hell, I would've kept her going 'til she completely died... or we did in her.. lol. My Mom got another SUV, and gave me her old one. I went from my '72 Olds Cutlass Convertible to a damn '94 GMC Jimmy... and I hated that SUV simply because it meant good-bye to my car! My car sat in my Mom's driveway for a while 'til it sold for $500.. if that much. I paid $5,000. for her. I know she was worth atleast that much, even in her condition, but Mom wasn't going to bother with it, she just wanted it gone. 'It' wasn't sensible! Well, hell... when have "I" ever been 'sensible' LOL! So that's my story in a nutshell. And I will find another car like her one day, and when I get her back, I won't let Anyone come between her and I again!

Later,
Trace
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:50 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome Trace,

Now everyone will be giving you leads to good deals on Cutlass cars until you end up buying one! You should'nt have come here...........
Old February 1st, 2007, 07:42 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Trace,

Welcome! I think we all remember selling a car...or four...and regretting it later. I can tell you that my 71 Cutlass convertible is my true "dream car". Well, at least "dream DRIVING car". (I'd love to have a cherry red/white '55 Holiday coupe...but that's my "dream IT"S SO BEAUTIFUL THAT I"M AFRAID TO DRIVE IT car")

Hang in there. You'll find one.

C.J.
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:07 AM

Welcome Trace

I think any true car lover can relate to how you feel about your Convert. I still write an occasional article for our Olds club Newsletter from the point of view of my 442...and I always talk to my race car as we head down the track!!! Hope someday you can find another Olds and enjoy it with your kids.
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:45 PM

Ah yes...a 1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. My dream car. I "settled" for a 1972 Supreme Hardtop. I kid you not, I balled tears of joy when the bank let me borrow the 3500 bones to take her home. You will never pry this car out of my hands....yep...grown man cried in joy that he got his (second in line) dream car.

John
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:22 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by Eightupman
You will never pry this car out of my hands...
I like to say "You'll get this car when you pry the driver's seat from off of my cold, dead ***..."

C.J.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:40 AM
Past Administrator

good one C.J.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM

Hi my name is mike, Have a 350 rocket out of a 79 cutlass that I am trying to fix, can someone tell me where I can get all the chrome parts can

Quick Reply: Introductions