The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Introductions

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2007, 03:52 PM

lol i wish my car looked like that too thats a 65 on saw on ebay for like 35000 or something mines way uglier!!!Lol but its a project like anyone elses...... hopefully one day she look like that only better thanx for the diagram i found that one b 4 thats like the only free one i can find on the net..... but thanx again good luck with your olds also......
Old March 10th, 2007, 02:10 AM

Hi everybody
These looks like a great forum.
My name is Per Arne, 46 years old and lives in a town called Bronnoysund in North Norway.
I love old American cars and have had it as hobby since the early eighties.
But it has turned in to a lifestyle.
I have a 57 Olds 98 4dr ht with pw, ps, pa, autronic eye and a radio with a floor switch connected to it.(Does anybody know, what this radio option, is called?)
It has a 69 461 and a th400 in it. I imported it from Columbus Ohio in the spring 2005.
My daily driver is 76 Buick Electra Limited, imported from Osage Beach Missouri in 2006.
I also have Pontiac star chief Catalina that needs some tlc and a rust free 56 Pontiac Chieftain 2 dr post project car, that I am going to put a 69 428 cid in.
My wife has a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville conv.

Here is some pictures from the place I live.

I live in house no 2 from the left.

I live on a small island with a famous mountain called Torghatten; it looks like a hat, with a big hole thru it.
Old March 10th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Past Administrator

Wow! That is a beautiful place. It seems so secluded and peaceful. Seems to me that you are truly a person that appreciates the old American cars.
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:41 PM

wow now thats a detailed map.... lol but a very very beautiful place...... i bet olds parts are definetly hard to find there..... anyways looks like a pretty beautiful part of the world to live......
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:44 AM

Thumbs up

Hi
It’s a beautiful place to live and we usually don’t have so much snow as in the inland.
Picture no 2 is shot from the top of mount Torghatten.
The costal ships called “hurigruten” are passing by my house twice a day.
A lot of Americans travel with this boats in the summer time.
The closest shop for buying American spare parts is 223 miles.
But I buy the most I need from the US, uses eBay a lot.
There are many American cars in Norway, but not so much as in Sweden.
Sweden has always had more liberal import rules for US cars.
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Hi my names Mark I live outside of Cincinnati and Ive been working on olds motors every since I got my first car when I was sixteen. I have had many Olds powered g-bodies. My most current one is a 81 Turbo Regal Spotrs Coupe Powered by an Olds 455.
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site Mark! Sounds like it might give some competition to a GN.
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:49 PM

Talking

Hi, I'm Martin. I'm 14 years old and I just bought my first Oldsmobile. May dad has a 1960 Plymouth and A 1976 Trans Am. I have been going to carshows since I was a baby, and working on cars since I was old enough to go into the garage on my own 2 feet. My grandfather was a mechanical engineer, so he had a full machine shop in his basement. My dad has tought me how to use them.
A few years back, my grandmother left me incharge of her cars, a 1972 Plymouth Satellite and a 1991 Plymouth acclaim. She is not able to drive them now, as she is now ill. I happened to be out for a drive with my grandfather (other grandfather) and notice a 1987 Oldsmobile for sale, I bought it about a week later. I am currently in the process of restoring the exterior and rebuilding the 307 into a mild street/strip car.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site and good luck with the rebuild.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:54 AM

Talking Say hey...

Hello All,

I am a 31 year old car nut. I have been a car nut since I started going to the track with my Dad when I was just a little guy. I have been hooked ever since. I have been a member at some other forums similar to this for some other cars I have owned in the past. I know that they are a great source of information and advice. I will share some my history for you all, so hang with me for a sec and it will all tie to together.

My folks were divorced when I 10 and did not see much of my Dad after that. I was lucky enough to have a friend of our family take me under his wing to encourage and foster my love of cars. This friend and his wife would take care of me and my sister while my single mom was out of town or had personal issues to take care of. Whenever I stayed with these folks my buddy would take me to the races, swap meets, or even wrench on his '71 Cutlass Supreme (Jezabell). Actually I just handed him the tools and he did all the wrenching while I watched. Needless to say, I thought Jezabell was the baddest thing on four wheels. Over the years I have had the pleasure of driving many different cars, but I have always had Jezebell in the back of my mind. Kind of like that hot bad girl you knew in High School and still remember. My buddy has always been there for me on many levels, especially if my mom or I ever had any mechanical issues with our cars or home.

About a month ago I went to my buddy's place to help him paint his house and wanted to show him my newest car, '05 GTO (Pearl). My buddy had a great time putting Pearl through a vigorous work out. I'm not sure witch of us enjoyed more...my buddy, me, or Pearl. Anyway, after getting back to his place we were talking about various things and basically just catching up. Of course our conversation turned to cars, and I mentioned that I would like to find my self a project car to have some fun with. My buddy, got up and said "lets go see an old friend." We went to his storage shed and there she was...Jezabell!!! I though he had sold her a few years ago after her engine/tranny gave out. She was covered with dust and surounded by a bunch of junk, but it was her. My buddy told me that he had planned on selling her, but every time he was supposed to close the deal he said he always came up with some reason to keep it from happening. My buddy didn't need the money, he just did not have the time to get her up and running again and could not think of letting anyone else do the work. I'm sure some of you can relate. Anyway, my buddy told me that if I would help him get the house painted, Jezabell would be mine if I wanted her. DID I WANT HER!?!?! So know the tables have turned, my buddy is going to be handing me the tools and watching while I do the wrenching.

So here I am, the brand new owner of a '71 CS in need of some body work and a heart transplant. My goal is get her back in shape and take my buddy on the Hot Rod Power Tour in the next few years. I have some idea's and questions, but I will post those in the appropriate part of the site. It is great to meet you all, and I look forward to becoming a valuable member of this community.

Regards,

Jeff
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:39 AM
Past Administrator

Jeff, welcome to our site. Great story and very glad you have a project that gives you some motivation and reason to have fun. We hope to share in your experience rebuilding your car. Good luck!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:57 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Jeff, welcome to our site. Great story and very glad you have a project that gives you some motivation and reason to have fun. We hope to share in your experience rebuilding your car. Good luck!
Thanks Oldsguy. I will be counting on the advice and experience of the members here to help me out. I will do my best to get some starting pictures posted, and maintain some type of a progress update so that future members can learn from my experience...good and bad. Thanks again.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:57 AM

nice to see new members hope your cutlass comes out the way u want it too how do u like your gto as a daily driver lol have fun with the site very knowledgeable people that luv olds have a good day Robert
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:20 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by TECH9TWISTA
nice to see new members hope your cutlass comes out the way u want it too how do u like your gto as a daily driver lol have fun with the site very knowledgeable people that luv olds have a good day Robert
I LOVE my my GTO (2005) as a daily driver. It is hard to beat to 400hp/tq out of the box for $30k. She put down 345hp and 354ft/lbs to wheels on her first dyno run in stock form. The LS2 engine that comes in those cars is a gem. I have the 6 speed (T56) so I can get 22-24mpg on the highway, and about 15-17mpg around the city. The combo of great power, nice interior and ride is tough to beat for the money. Take one for a spin if you get a chance, you won't be disappointed. Thanks for the welcome message, and I'm sure we will be running into each other here.
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Salutations

Hello,

I've been lurking on this list for some time, but feel like I should come clean. That, and my car has been washed and waxed, so it's a good time to take pictures....

I currently work in Creighton University's I.T. department. My Dad bought an Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais on the same month I was born, and I have had an affinity for Oldsmobiles ever since.

I bought a 1966 Starfire last summer, and have been slowly fixing it up, as my budget allows. Some people expressed an interest in seeing the car on this forum earlier, so here's another pic from a different angle:

Bonus points for anyone who can identify the city in the background. Hint: that's Union Pacific headquarters on the left.
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Past Administrator

I don't see a picture, is it there?
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:03 AM

A little late.

I guess I should have done this a bit earlier. I'm John from southern New Hampshire. I currently have a 1975 Cutlass Salon that my 19 year old son and I are using as a cruise night project. The car has only 64,000 miles, and is in pretty good overall shape. I'll try to post some pics later. We don't really need to do any major work, just some minor rust clean up and some mod's to make it more fun.
I've been restoring cars sine the early '80's, had a '69 Camaro SS-350 then, but it was a typical New England car, I had to repair rust about every 12 months. About 10 years ago I bought a '77 Cutlass S and fixed that up, including finding a set of T-tops in a junkyard '76 Supreme and installing them. Back then there were lots of 73-77 GM's in the local yards, but not anymore. It was easier than I thought to install the tops, looked stock and did not leak. Ended up painting it Viper Blue with white on the bottom, and it looked great. Sold it to buy an '86 Monte Carlo SS.
Looking forward to having some fun here. Anyone in NH or Mass there is a great cruise night in Nashua NH on Friday nights, I usually try to go.

John
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I don't see a picture, is it there?
Works on the two computers I have access to. The pics are quite large, though, so if you are on a dial-up connection, it may take a minute or two to load.

If anyone else is having troubles, let me know and I will try a different method.

Mister
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Past Administrator

John,
Welcome to our site, I hope you enjoy participating and restoring your Cutlass.

Mister, I now see the pictures and must say, your car is in very good condition. I saw a Starfire at the Lawarence Kansas swap meet last weekend for sale in similar condition, maybe a little rougher but I think the same year. The owner was asking $7,000, it seemed to be a fair asking price. Too bad I couldn't afford it and my wife would not approve of it. I have too many projects already.
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Past Administrator

Henry,

People pay cash for chores done around the house/yard. If you are physically able, there are lots of jobs that old fat guys will pay a high school age guy to do. Yard work, clean gutters, car maintenance (if you know how), trash pick-up, etc. I mowed lawns for two years until I could work legally at a gas station, helped pay for my first car.....
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Greetings all! I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. Up to now, I've been mostly involved with motorcycles, but I've been helping restore a 69 Camaro SS350. I've always been into cars to some extent, but after having so much fun with the Camaro, I decided I'd like to get a classic car of my own.

My family were Olds drivers traditionally. I can remember a 67 Cutlass, a 70 98 Regency, a station wagon, a 79 Regency coupe, and an 85 Cutlass! Prior to that, I know my Dad had a bunch of GMs, some Olds, some Chevy. I'm really interested in finding a 70 or 71 Cutlass convertible in good condition, and we're looking, but I thought it might be a good idea to get more information before I purchase. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions, and any tips, tricks and troublespots will be appreciated.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:54 AM
2Blue 55

Hello, and welcome to the form, I am sure many people will be eager to kelp you with what you need, all the best finding a project, Keep me updated on how the hunt is going.
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:52 AM

Post Let's get acquainted

Hi!
My name is Adam!
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:47 AM
2Blue 55

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum, i am looking foreward to hearing more about you in the future, we hope you enjoy the site.
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to both flbikerchick and Adam. Enjoy your visits here!
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Hey, Im not really new to this forum. I have probably been here a couple of months but hadnt really introduced myself yet. I am college from Roma Texas and am the 3rd owner of a 1985 delta 88. Didnt really care much for olds until I actually did some research on it and found out that they are pretty good reliable cars. My hobbies include cruising and messing on my car. And thats it. I will try to help out with what I can in this forum.
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM
2Blue 55

Hello and welcome olds307owner, I am looking forward to hearing more about you and you car in the future, I will probably have some questions for you soon. I hope you will enjoy this site
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:32 PM

new to forum

Hello, everyone. I'm new to both this forum and the world of Oldsmobile. I just bought a 1969 Cutlass with Olds 350, TH350, Olds 12 bolt w/ 3.73 posi. It's gold (hence the name) with 442-like black side stripes, although it's just a plain Cutlass. Until now, I've only owned Chevys and Pontiacs, so I'll probably have a TON of questions in the days, weeks and months to come.

- GoldOlds
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Past Administrator

Good to have you at our site! Enjoy your Olds, you WILL, definitely.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM
2Blue 55

Hello gold olds, i am looking foreward to hear more about you and your car, Do you have any pics of yer new ride?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:13 AM

Hello!

Hey everybody,
My name is Drew and I just purchased an 87 442 a few weeks ago. I love this car! I used to own a Grand national a while back but some things came up and I had to let it go. I told myself that I'd own another one some day and I must say I like the 442 a little bit more. Anyways, I found this site and am very impressed with the tips and info I've found on here already. Just thought I'd take a quick minute and say whats up to you all!

Peace
drew
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:39 PM

Hello all, my names Darryl. Just back from a trip through Idaho where I found and bought a 1954 88. It's on it's way home now, then the fun starts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds1small.jpg (51.8 KB, 22 views)
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Harry Dart
Hello all, my names Darryl. Just back from a trip through Idaho where I found and bought a 1954 88. It's on it's way home now, then the fun starts.
Hi
It looks like a nice project.
Is it exspensive to get it back to NZ?
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Past Administrator

Darryl, welcome to our site. Nice looking car you have there. Restoration or hot-rod?
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Thanks. Shipping will be around US$2000, plus getting the car to San Francisco, but when it arrives here, it's probably going to be one of very few Olds in NZ around those years. (We already have too many 57 Chevs and Mustangs)
Restoration or hotrod I haven't really decided. A full restoration will be an expensive exercise from over here, as everyting would need to come from the US.
The cars been sitting for 30 years, but we put a battery and some gas in and it actually runs OK. No top gear in the trans, and the exhaust was blocked with mouse nests, but it has no rust anywhere. The only problem I forsee is finding a new windshield for it.
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:17 PM

Cutlass and 98 fun 4 life

Its great to see a young man getting into such a great hobbie and sport. Oldsmobiles are and have been great cars, they have wounderful body lines, bullet proof engines and handling as well, you just don't get that now days!

Take care and God bless!
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:57 AM

I saw this post hanging out, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Russ. I'm 26. I'm originally from Columbia, MD, but am currently living between MD and Hershey, PA. I work at a software company doing data analysis and software development by day, I sing in a sometimes-nationally touring hard-rock band, Oddzar, by night, and I work on my 1972 Olds Cutlass S on the weekends when I don't have gigs. I got the car last May from my drummer's uncle. It's dreamy, and it's been my daily driver (when I'm not driving from PA to MD..for that I have my little civic).

I'm relatively new to working on cars. I had an '87 Cutlass Supreme, light green sedan for 2-3 years before this Olds. That car taught me the basics....brakes, carburetors, interior stuff, distributor stuff, other random electrical stuff, emissions control stuff (no longer ). Owning that car also got me interested in learning more about how automobiles work....so I read a lot.

I joined this forum after reading posts for some time. I'm just hoping to learn from everyone's experience and I hope to one day contribute myself.

Sorry for the essay. Rock on.

Russ
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM

Wink 1954 Olds

Originally Posted by Harry Dart
we have one also,Quite a uniquer car first year or that body style. welcom to the forums Larry
Old June 3rd, 2007, 08:27 PM

Smile New to the site, Hello everyone...

Im 27 yrs old, living in Rochester, WA. I have a 1985 Olds Cutlass Salon, have alot of questions, and it's just awesome that theres so many people into Olds like myself.

The problem is i dont know where to start asking questions, at.

Thanks for the Forum Everyone...
DLamb04
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome and we hope you enjoy our site!

Quick Reply: Introductions