Eddie Hansen's '69 Cutlass Convertible

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2023, 08:23 AM

Very nice
Old March 30th, 2023, 09:45 AM

That looks like a nice unit Eddie. They are hard to move because they are seriously top-heavy!
I'm considering building a shed to install my compressor in but I'm worried about the change in temperature inside/outside. Do you have any concerns with that?
Old March 30th, 2023, 11:01 AM

Wow Eddie that is the compressor to have! It kind of reminds me of the old airplane engines, the radial prop jobs. Seriously that is one nice machine, congratulations on that purchase. You will be able to do just about anything with that. Enjoy.
Old March 30th, 2023, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
That looks like a nice unit Eddie. They are hard to move because they are seriously top-heavy!
I'm considering building a shed to install my compressor in but I'm worried about the change in temperature inside/outside. Do you have any concerns with that?
Rick I live in New Jersey so the toxic waste keeps the winters mild I’m thinking lol seriously my shed is also heated as is the garage it was a fairly inexpensive upgrade I had done when I ran a subpanel of 60
amps to the shed , I did this at the same time I ran the power for the hot tub and upgraded power in the garage , I upgraded to 200 amp service to the house it sounds like a lot but with a little planning it wasn’t much more , the missys wanted the hot tub and I acquiesced to that and added my stuff lol she didn’t notice lol I said we had to upgrade power for the hot tub ( I only look stupid) lol but even without heat the shed never gets frosty inside the wall mounted heater pits out plenty of heat I work in shirtsleeves in the winter , if you do build a shed it’s cheap to insulate , I used subfloor plywood for interior it’s thin but no nots etc and is sanded it’s also only about 28 bucks a sheet , I redid the kitchen for the wife and reclaimed the cabinets for the shed and got inexpensive dyi countertops at Home Depot there are often folks putting cabinets on Craigslist for free pick up , you could paint them gray a little aluminum diamond plate as a back splash and have yourself a righteous man shed mine does have a beer fridge as well lol
Old March 30th, 2023, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by maddoctor
Wow Eddie that is the compressor to have! It kind of reminds me of the old airplane engines, the radial prop jobs. Seriously that is one nice machine, congratulations on that purchase. You will be able to do just about anything with that. Enjoy.
thanks Vince she’s a monster I like the 31 cfm rating and the extra psi would be handy for blasting if I should need it
Old March 30th, 2023, 05:46 PM

You body guys just blow me away with the talent and skills. I simply don't have this ability at all.
Old March 31st, 2023, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
You body guys just blow me away with the talent and skills. I simply don't have this ability at all.
erik , man you have crazy mad skills my friend , I am not a body guy , I dabble there are guys here with scary skills lol , it’s a patience thing in my opinion, I’m also fussy so everything takes me 5 times longer lol , I’m sure you are way underestimating yourself !! But thank you for your compliment
Old April 13th, 2023, 10:11 AM

Looking good Eddie, keep it up!
Old April 14th, 2023, 08:44 AM

holy smoke! i finally caught up! lol nice to see you moving Eddie, no more "decades" ok lol i thought i was subscribed to your thread but i guess i am was only subscribed to peter's.

that compressor looks like a beast! if you have your old tank, plumb them together to have even more air reserve. i have 120 gallons now with 18.5 cfm@90psi and my sand blaster felt like it was electric, never bogs down.

i am in the same position as you with the trunk and well area. i was debating on factory color or spatter paint. i had contemplated using the truck bed liner as well, but didn't put a whole lot of thought behind it.

funny how we were doing the same lead work, at the same time, but i haven't really been on here to follow.i also bought the muggy weld kit but have yet to use it. with all of the chrome shops not wanting to work on pot metal anymore because of the pits, i thought i would give it a whirl but haven't tried it yet.

keep up the progress sir! looking great!
Old December 16th, 2023, 12:23 AM
Rodney

Hey Eddie:
How's your '69 project coming along?

Rodney
Old December 16th, 2023, 03:20 AM

AWESOME AWESOME work Eddie
Alain red W-31
Old December 22nd, 2023, 11:55 AM

Still alive!! Still working on the car…..

Guys I’ll give an update have been off the radar but still working away, I had to change gears as I had a lot going on , my wife wanted the screened in porch turned into a 4 season room such is life…. Lol but that’s been completed now happy wife happy life , still metal working , I am not sure if I mentioned I ran max air lines throughout the shop, I also managed to acquire a speed air refrigerant air dryer which I mounts and plumbed in for later paint only lines I added a three stage air filter after that.

Part of my delay was my friend asked me to help prep his jeep for paint , we did that and there was metal work etc plus all the usual just a basic paint job, all was going great, well my friend starts complaining about aches and pains and I was talking to him about his evening activities, trying to talk him into more shop time less bar time, well long story short his aches and pains got worse, talked him into going to the hospital, and the poor bastard didn’t come out…

god rest his soul so I have been scrambling as all my excess parts are in storage at his shop it’s separate and I do have a lease etc but worrisome , all has moved forward but it put a candle under my butt I’ll update with pics etc shortly
Old December 22nd, 2023, 03:54 PM

I'm so sorry for the loss of your buddy, Eddie. May God Bless and rest his soul.
Old December 23rd, 2023, 07:10 AM

Wow, that's a lot to say the least. Sorry to hear about your friend, that's such a bummer..
Old December 23rd, 2023, 07:45 AM

Thank you

Thank You guys for the condolences! He was a great guy taken way too soon , makes you think, and as we walk the road of life there’s more and more of this kind of thing as we get older, anyway I digress , I am looking forward to moving forward , it’s absolutely insane how long I have been working on this car, but I accept what’s given , and do what I can do when I can do it , working on the olds is my therapy, keeps me sane lol or close to it , here’s my buddy Steve o at last call lol good memories

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; December 23rd, 2023 at 07:51 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2023, 08:04 AM

I could see myself throwing back a few and busting some racks at that watering hole. Looks like my kinda joint. Glad you're moving forward and remembering the good times. Merry Christmas!
Old December 29th, 2023, 10:05 AM

Plan for moving forward……

We’ll still moving along , I know I mentioned a dozen times I over think things way too much, keep tinkering with seams etc , and of course metal bumping, I plan now to clean each panel one more time , wipe it down and spray some epoxy primer before doing any more filling , I originally thought to put duraglass waterproof filler directly onto the leaded seams to ensure no reaction occurs between the paint but apparently the consensus is you can put filler over the primer sealer ( going to use ppg dp50lf epoxy and then go to fillers etc, with starts and stops in my project I need to stop creating more work recleaning areas that are already clean metal just because I want to do some more metal working in a small area , I spent yesterday recleaning a panel and was thinking wtf am I doing? If I don’t wipe and primer this in the next hour or so there’s a chance of surface contamination or god forbid flash rust , where I put my hand without a glove on, I need to go get more paint supplies and I know this is going to hurt my wallet.

my understanding if I use epoxy, as opposed to urethane I don’t have to etch the metal? Is this correct? I will give a last clean up probably 120-180 grit, wipe down with wax and grease remover then prime with epoxy ….

I’ll chat with the paint guy when I go pick up more primer, in the meantime wishing you all the very best for 2024
Old December 29th, 2023, 05:15 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen

I’ll chat with the paint guy when I go pick up more primer, in the meantime wishing you all the very best for 2024
Thanks Eddie, and best to you too.
Paint guys are usually very knowledgeable because they learn things from their customers, and they also attend every paint seminar that the paint companies put on for customers.
Old December 31st, 2023, 12:11 PM

Moving forward

Well going to move forward, the wheel well is in but I don’t think the lip is flat ” enough or perhaps it’s not quite “square” not a big problem or even that noticeable but I thought I could just bump it a little before I prime , I went through every dolly I had and while I could match a little portion of the lip it was uncomfortable and I’d have to keep moving the dolly to keep it tight , well that wouldn’t do, I looked in my metal bin and found some tool steel , heated it cherry red with a torch and let it cool, then I used a big permanent marker as I was out of dykem, I them traced the curve of the wheel arch onto the metal, I then used various cut off wheels a die grinder some carbide cutters etc and cut and ground the metal to match the arc top and bottom , a little grinding a little sanding a little polishing and voila a perfect dolly to do what I need it to do , time spent maybe an hour and only because I have ocd it could have been useable after about 20 minutes anyway thought I’d share

Slab of metal similar to what I started with

Finished dolly

Before and after
Old December 31st, 2023, 12:13 PM

Just trying to show there could be solutions to a problem that doesn’t require buying a specialty tool you can make it I think I have all of 6 bucks in materials in this lol

anyway wishing you all a happy new year
Old December 31st, 2023, 05:54 PM
Phantom Phixer

Wow Eddie!
You have OCD to the max. Nice work.
Old January 1st, 2024, 06:17 AM
Rodney

Eddie:L
Glad to see you're still at it, and so sorry to hear of your friend's passing. Just reminds us to make the most of the time we have and not take anything for granted.

Rodney
Old January 1st, 2024, 07:02 AM

Thank you Rodney, yes still at it lol , I have no timeline I do what I can do when I can do it , I enjoy my garage time, and I will get her done. I do think it’s time to sh&t or get off the pot though lol going to do a big push.

Steve-o was a great friend and I do miss him , he restored an m29 weasel ( studebaker built I believe) and I still remember the knucklehead driving it into the river and driving it amphibiously lol , restoring that kind of equipment is extremely hard as there are so few parts available.

Anyway I digress , happy new year my friend to you and yours
Old January 1st, 2024, 07:42 AM

Nice job on that dolly! You're going to turn yourself into a body man eventually!
Old January 1st, 2024, 09:02 AM

Lol

Originally Posted by chopolds
Nice job on that dolly! You're going to turn yourself into a body man eventually!
oh lord I don’t think so I would be the poster boy for having your car in paint shop prison I’m too slow lol but thank you for the kudos I did use it and it really works great nice and comfy in the hand etc

really planning for a big push in the next couple of weeks wish me luck lol
Old January 1st, 2024, 10:49 AM

If you apply plastic filler over epoxy we were taught to always scuffed the epoxy to promote adhesion. The scuffed surface has to be wiped off before application. Talk to your paint rep and read all literature before using any product. The shops that I know of melt the lead out to avoid reaction with modern paint systems again talk to your paint rep as this might not apply to the product you are using.I was taught to stay in a paint system start to finish. Two part paint and primer contain isocyanate and should be applied in a spay booth with the correct PPE. The Lead reaction to the modern paint was explained to me by the paint rep as a reaction between the acid in the lead and the modern alkaline based paint. Good luck with you project.
Old January 1st, 2024, 01:32 PM

Thank you sir for your valuable advice I certainly will check with the paint supplier I had concerns about the lead and I went with leadfree bodysolder I did was the panels after to neutralize any flux but will probably wash it down several more times as I prep the panels for epoxy.
Old January 6th, 2024, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
and was thinking wtf am I doing?
LOL, I find myself saying the same thing quite often...Usually followed up with "who's dumba$$ idea was this anyways"

You're doing some fine work here, keep it up!
Old January 8th, 2024, 10:14 AM

Thank you….

Originally Posted by gear head
LOL, I find myself saying the same thing quite often...Usually followed up with "who's dumba$$ idea was this anyways"

You're doing some fine work here, keep it up!
Lol , indeed today it appears I’m trying to set my all time record of whiskey tango foxtrots , lol sweet geezus some days I should just drink beer …. Just saying …. Lol
Old January 8th, 2024, 01:43 PM

Drinking beer is always a good therapy with todays prices for a restoration
Do not give up Eddie you the man
Alain platinum 442 4spd A/C
Old January 8th, 2024, 04:11 PM

Don’t worry…

Originally Posted by alain
Drinking beer is always a good therapy with todays prices for a restoration
Do not give up Eddie you the man
Alain platinum 442 4spd A/C
don’t worry Alain I won’t give up, I may however increase my beer consumption every once in awhile lol
Old January 8th, 2024, 05:35 PM

Can't go wrong with more beer, that's the best part of a project car!

Cheers, my man