Eddie Hansen's '69 Cutlass Convertible

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2020, 04:02 PM
Running On Empty

Lots of work but you did a great job.
Old April 21st, 2020, 04:40 PM

Yes, very nice work. I'm in the same situation. All these nice new parts and fresh rebuilt parts. I know lots of guys that would use it as a trailer Queen and just go to shows, but I'm building my restoration to be driven often and using the right pedal more than the middle pedal.
Again Eddie very nice work.
Old April 21st, 2020, 04:50 PM

yessir

Originally Posted by maddoctor
Yes, very nice work. I'm in the same situation. All these nice new parts and fresh rebuilt parts. I know lots of guys that would use it as a trailer Queen and just go to shows, but I'm building my restoration to be driven often and using the right pedal more than the middle pedal.
Again Eddie very nice work.
Thanks Vince!! ,I just ordered the coldcase radiator, fingers crossed, it fits and works as well as they say. I actually bought two copper 4 cores when rock auto had a sale, but they are "universal" gm abody. which means it has that extra outlet for Chevrolet heater hose and they give you a plug that bothered the heck out of me for some reason LOL... Anyway stay safe crazy times
Old April 21st, 2020, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Lots of work but you did a great job.
Thank you sir
Old April 21st, 2020, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Yeah, the nooks and crannies on the core supports are a pain, I have no blaster, its the scrape and wire wheel job for me. Nice job!
Thank you, yeah it was a biotch LOL....but Im Happy and happy to be moving along
Old April 27th, 2020, 08:00 AM

well now....

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Thanks Vince!! ,I just ordered the coldcase radiator, fingers crossed, it fits and works as well as they say. I actually bought two copper 4 cores when rock auto had a sale, but they are "universal" gm abody. which means it has that extra outlet for Chevrolet heater hose and they give you a plug that bothered the heck out of me for some reason LOL... Anyway stay safe crazy times

My coldcase radiator arrived from summit, free shipping and was cheaper than coldcase on line, well low and behold I open the box and had a look, at first I was like awesome! then notice the two side pieces of aluminum angle Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, yup the chc-11 is not what you want, you want the gma42 or 42A depending if you have an auto or stick, It did say it fits my vehicle, I am at fault too I guess as I assumed that summit just put their own sku number on it, they are accepting the return, and they will eat the shipping ( kudos) and my new radiator will be here this week.

I decided to replace the old six blade fan , FOR THE SIMPLE REASON I FOR THE LIFE OF ME CAN NOT FIND THE EFFING THING? WTF!!, anyway it had an original clutch on it, so in for a pinch in for a pound, I measured the shroud opening and I have about 20 inches or so, so I will be looking at a seven blade fan about 19 inches I am thinking ? any thoughts? also do the clutches come in different sizes meaning distance from hub to radiator? was wondering because of the different heights of water pumps that Oldsmobile offered? or was this taken care of with spacers?
Any help would be great, also moving along with body and started the hunt for inner fender braces again.
Old April 27th, 2020, 08:13 AM
Gary

Eddie you will love that cold case radiator. I replaced the 4 core radiator in my 68 442 with the gma42a which is a 2 core and it was a direct fit and still able to use my top plate. It made the engine run a lot cooler.
Old April 27th, 2020, 08:16 AM

a 19 1/2 inch fan fits , on -bay there are some 7 blades 19 1/2 inch that fit the clutch setup, I bought the heavy duty ac delco from year one and the short water pump for non AC car and this combo works great, i have a 72 with the shroud , but this should work on the 69 from what I remember,, its been 35 years since I had my 69, Tim
Old April 27th, 2020, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by green1972
, its been 35 years since I had my 69, Tim
Yeah I hear you !! Im in same boat but when I think back I remember that night fondly !!! LOL... JK thanks for your help I will definitely look at that and thanks for the tip pn the clutch too I have the short pump ( that's what she said LOL)
Old April 27th, 2020, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gary's 2 442-S
Eddie you will love that cold case radiator. I replaced the 4 core radiator in my 68 442 with the gma42a which is a 2 core and it was a direct fit and still able to use my top plate. It made the engine run a lot cooler.
Thanks Gary, and made in USA !!
Old April 27th, 2020, 05:16 PM

Cool Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR

ing So the UPS pulls up today , and I watch him deliver my replacement coldcase radiator from summit after he departs and I ensure enough time for social distancing, I race to the porch drag the box hungrily into my shop and open it up? lo and behold its a gma42 A I ordered the gma42 which does not have provision for transmission cooling,. I am usually calm but I was effing livid, I look at the box and it is labeled both gma42 and gma42a ? so I call summit, this after already sending the firstradiator back the infamous chc-11, I wait till I needed to shave again, but finally someone answers, I explain what happened, again! He said there would be no problem swapping it out, GRRRR so I remember reading something Joe Padavano said about his 442 comingfrom the factory with a 4 core with the transmission cooler lines plugged, so I say to Rocco, ( his friends call him Rocky so I called him Rocco LOL,,, that if Summit was willing to discount the radiator, I will keep it. well geezus joseph and mary, Rocco comes back and said that the auto radiator is 10 dollars more then what I paid (it was ) and in addition they would give me a 50 dollar refund , Score one for the home team, that sounded reasonable I said thank you, and kudos to summit for decent customer service, :-) no to put that shiney mother in LOL... stay tuned
Old April 27th, 2020, 05:33 PM

yep, never had a prob with summit, top notch. If Jegs has a sale they will usually match like for like products. Have fun with that rad, it will be a whole new cooling experience.

Last edited by maddoctor; April 28th, 2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old April 27th, 2020, 07:14 PM

yep, never had a prob with summit, top notch. If Jews has a sale they will usually match like for like products. Have fun with that rad, it will be a whole new cooling experience.
Uhhh...that would be "Jegs".
Old April 28th, 2020, 05:09 AM

Yes, sorry that is spell check. I apologize to everyone that was my mistake for not checking before sending, I am so sorry!
Old April 28th, 2020, 08:25 AM

Yes, sorry that is spell check. I apologize to everyone that was my mistake for not checking before sending, I am so sorry!
I've been bitten before as well. I assume you're not in politics. I would have heard about it on the "news", and your exile would have been in progress. (It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the moderators fixed the misspell and took the last three comments off.)
Old April 28th, 2020, 08:18 PM

well Played everyone!!

Nicely done fellas !! :-)
Old May 4th, 2020, 06:12 PM

looking real good Eddie!
Old May 5th, 2020, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by gear head
looking real good Eddie!
Thank You sir, more updates to follow... :-)
Old May 8th, 2020, 08:33 AM
Rodney

70 Fender braces

Eddie:
I finally got over to my storage unit and dug out the front fenders I mentioned a while back. I found them to be in better shape than I had remembered and now I'm a bit conflicted about cutting them up for just the braces. They are also 1970 fenders and don't have the crumple bumps found on the later 71-72 fenders. I would hate to cut these up if someone who truly needs 1970 fenders could use them. I started a thread asking that question and posted pics, if you want to see them follow this link:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...saving-145038/

I think I have another set of fenders somewhere (maybe in the garage attic) that maybe be in worse shape than these and worthy of dissection. I'll dig a little more to see if I can find them.

Rodney
Old May 8th, 2020, 08:53 AM

indeed only cut up something that is not repairable, appreciate it very much
Old May 8th, 2020, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by cdrod
Eddie:
I finally got over to my storage unit and dug out the front fenders I mentioned a while back. I found them to be in better shape than I had remembered and now I'm a bit conflicted about cutting them up for just the braces. They are also 1970 fenders and don't have the crumple bumps found on the later 71-72 fenders. I would hate to cut these up if someone who truly needs 1970 fenders could use them. I started a thread asking that question and posted pics, if you want to see them follow this link:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...saving-145038/

I think I have another set of fenders somewhere (maybe in the garage attic) that maybe be in worse shape than these and worthy of dissection. I'll dig a little more to see if I can find them.

Rodney
those are totally repairable on the link, :-)
Old May 9th, 2020, 10:06 AM
Rodney

Front fender brace-RH passenger side

Eddie:
Here's what I got on fender braces. LH drivers fender I have is toast can't be saved, but the RH passenger side has a good brace. It's a '71-'72 fender are you sure this brace will work with a '69 fender? Maybe just the very bottom piece, but the upper curve is probably not the same.

Rodney

Old May 9th, 2020, 03:35 PM

Eddie:
Here's what I got on fender braces. LH drivers fender I have is toast can't be saved, but the RH passenger side has a good brace. It's a '71-'72 fender are you sure this brace will work with a '69 fender? Maybe just the very bottom piece, but the upper curve is probably not the same.

Rodney

Rod thanks for checking I dunno if it is the same it looks ok and it is far far better than whats there, if your willing to chop it out I am willing to take a chance and I'll take it.. let me know...
Old May 9th, 2020, 05:03 PM
Rodney

Eddie:
How does $50+ shipping sound?
Old May 9th, 2020, 07:44 PM

I admire your perseverance Eddie! It's going to be a really nice car.
Old May 10th, 2020, 06:54 AM

Eddie:
How does $50+ shipping sound?
fine send me how you want to get paid etc shipping is to 08882 Ill send you a PM
Old May 10th, 2020, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
I admire your perseverance Eddie! It's going to be a really nice car.
or coffin LOL Thanks for your kind words, I'm Trying, I know it is taking forever, but I am not retired, and I dont detract from my responsibilities, there was always something coming up that took precedence, family, work, kid in school etc etc not to mention lack of knowledge LOL... she is moving along now, with parts going back on on.... thanks for following along
Old May 10th, 2020, 12:33 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Eddie, you're doing a great job! Keep the updates coming. I like how the finish of your trans turned out.
Old May 10th, 2020, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
Eddie, you're doing a great job! Keep the updates coming. I like how the finish of your trans turned out.
Thank you sir ! I'm trying , with the talent and knowledge on this board I'm chasin ghosts lol, but I am loving it, a day in the garage beats a day at work anytime LOL....
Old May 10th, 2020, 09:10 PM

Well, it is a hobby for most people Eddie. Even when it's finished there will always be things to do on it. A lot of people have so much time at the moment, they tell me "I'm bored". I'm retired, but I have plenty of stuff I can do. If you have an hour, you go out in the garage for an hour. You clean a few parts or spray a part or two. That's the hobby part, it's not like you are chained to the welder.
Old May 11th, 2020, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
Well, it is a hobby for most people Eddie. Even when it's finished there will always be things to do on it. A lot of people have so much time at the moment, they tell me "I'm bored". I'm retired, but I have plenty of stuff I can do. If you have an hour, you go out in the garage for an hour. You clean a few parts or spray a part or two. That's the hobby part, it's not like you are chained to the welder.
Amen!! :-)
Old May 11th, 2020, 07:06 AM
Rodney

Is this a good place to cut? It's about 14" up from the bottom.

Old May 11th, 2020, 09:56 AM

Is this a good place to cut? It's about 14" up from the bottom.
that should be fine
Old June 3rd, 2020, 11:12 AM

Moving Along,

Well I am slowly moving forward got the radiator in, the shroud to fit, and aftermarket catch can, and now I moved on to the other pieces of the core support, I started with the headlight mounting trays and the buckets, I didnt remember them being this nasty LOL... but into the blast cabinet they went, I have a bigger cabinet, which I set up in my friends shop, I also had a small benchtop cabinet, it didnt work real well, so I was nosing around the internet, and saw a few youtubes on improving the pickup, basically its two pieces of tube about 12 inches long, they are assembled in a staggered fashion with a 1 inch leg on the bottom and one on the top,
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

similar to this , I saw it in steel, saw it premade, saw it in PVC, I took two pieces of scrap copper pipe drilled the 5/16 hole ( one an inch from the bottom one two inches from the bottom, matched the holes up, clamped it and used regular plumbing solder the whole length, made a little cover for the hole area as some was visible, then capped off the bottom of the pipe, ( long end at the bottom) and attached the feed hose to the long piece at the top, I was skeptical but it really worked well and improved the performance a lot. I then blasted the trays and buckets, and when I dug out all these bolts I had cleaned ( now years ago LOL) they were not the best even though I spent a lot of time wire wheeling and using a black oxide kit from caswell, with sealer no less. so tossed the bolts in and blasted them.

I knew this issue would arise eventually and I bought the chemicals for parkerizing, got mine from duracoat, I got a cheapee food warmer/cooker with multiple trays (I have also seen this done with a turkey roaster) added the appropriate amount of chemical to the water , added a wad of pure steel wool ( not a brillo) and heated the soup up to 180-185,

I then threw the bolts into this mixture and went off and bl;asted some more crap LOL... well in 15 minutes or so I came back and voila nice blackish gray phosphate bolts like new almost, rinsed these in clean water and put on towel to dry, then sprayed them with wd-40 they look great.

I will post pics after this when I take some of the new batch, but this is something anyone can do, be careful but its not overly dangerous, wear your ppe for eyes and hands etc.

Old June 3rd, 2020, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
a day in the garage beats a day at work anytime LOL....
That right there is truthiness.
Old June 3rd, 2020, 02:56 PM

Sweet Progress! Someday I hope to have a sand blast cabinet.....
Old June 3rd, 2020, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Sweet Progress! Someday I hope to have a sand blast cabinet.....
actually with some plywood and some bits and pieces you can make a great cabinet , I bought a used American made cabinet that’s at my friends shop I’ll be doing the pick up upgrade for that but there’s a lot to be said for a big cabinet I mean big lol you can get black diamond abrasive at tractor supply for 10 bucks a bag and by the way I also have been using the harbor freight vibratory tumblr and the green pyramids abrasive does an out standing job with a little simple green thrown in really removes rust etc and you can always just give a soak in ospho
Old June 3rd, 2020, 09:42 PM

I know I know useless without pics lol

Here’s some pics of the process and results

Front coming along

After parkerizing and wd 40

Not bad

Nice finish

The food warmer

Blasted parts used rubber gloves to not put oil on them

Almost at 180 in a little while and in the parts go at 180
Old June 4th, 2020, 08:09 AM
Phantom Phixer

Eddie ;
You must have a very supportive wife , who allows you to " parkerize " in the kitchen .
Old June 4th, 2020, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Eddie ;
You must have a very supportive wife , who allows you to " parkerize " in the kitchen .
yessir I do I actually commandeered the outside deck and annexed it for bolt refinishing while we are in lock down lol but the missus is aces after all my shenanigans she still lets me sleep inside lol

Quick Reply: Eddie Hansen's '69 Cutlass Convertible