General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Steering sloppy

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Steering sloppy

As I fine tune the bugs out I have noticed the steering is loose as if the steering is not tight. You can turn the wheel a few inches without any wheel tracking. I've read and heard there is an adjustment for the worm gear, The car is original 99K and this is the only thing I didn't have rebuilt as I thought it wouls be fine. All suspension and such is new. Any advise guys? This is a power steering unit-forgot to mention earlier

Last edited by Al Graaf; August 27th, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:16 PM

Subscribe, I too have a loose gearbox on my convertible. I was contemplating doing the Jeep Grand Cherokee gearbox conversion but if there's a way to tighten the worm gear then I'd rather do that. Hope you get some replies, for you and me both
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Subscribe, I too have a loose gearbox on my convertible. I was contemplating doing the Jeep Grand Cherokee gearbox conversion but if there's a way to tighten the worm gear then I'd rather do that. Hope you get some replies, for you and me both
Well see, the night is still young
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Administrator

There is nut with a slotted threaded insert in the center. Hold the threaded insert in place and break the nut loose. Screw the inset in 1/8 of a turn and snug the nut back in while holding the threaded insert in place. You can repeat until you have the play you like. When you check it make sure the engine running. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE THREADED INSERT.

Before you do all that, make sure you don't have any worn components.

Also if your alignment is off it will walk all over the road - Steve. In addition tire pressure makes a big difference in the way the car steers.
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Al/Steve
At 99K the steering box should still be ok. The Saginaw standard gearbox should be 3.5 turns lock to lock. If you have slop in it, you should take a look in the CSM for the steering.

Before you do anything else, I'm going to quote from my 72 CSM as causes of 'loose steering'

Air in system - Add fluid and bleed by repeatedly turning lock to lock (I lifted my car front when doing this)
Steering gear loose on frame - check bolts for torque (3 bolts torque is 70 ft/lbs)
Steering gear (ragjoint) loose or worn - tighten pinch bolts to 30 ft/lbs
Front wheel bearings incorrectly adjusted - Adjust to specs
Worn poppet valve (gear) - replace poppet valve
Loose thrust bearing preload adjustment - Adjust to spec with gear out of vehicle.
Excessive 'over-center' lash. Adjust to spec with gear out of vehicle
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
There is nut with a slotted threaded insert in the center. Hold the threaded insert in place and break the nut loose. Screw the inset in 1/8 of a turn and snug the nut back in while holding the threaded insert in place. You can repeat until you have the play you like. When you check it make sure the engine running. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE THREADED INSERT.

Before you do all that, make sure you don't have any worn components.

Also if your alignment is off it will walk all over the road - Steve. In addition tire pressure makes a big difference in the way the car steers.
This is a frame off restoration. By worn components what parts? Everything has been replaced as well as alignment by a compendent shop. The insert on mine is hex. 71 442 Thanks for the advise. Should be fun loosing the nut huh?
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by Allan R
Al/Steve
At 99K the steering box should still be ok. The Saginaw standard gearbox should be 3.5 turns lock to lock. If you have slop in it, you should take a look in the CSM for the steering.

Before you do anything else, I'm going to quote from my 72 CSM as causes of 'loose steering'
What the hell is a poppet valve? Good to be back on Allan
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

Turning the adjustment screw on the steering box cover will help tighten a manual box, but not a power box. Proper adjustment of bearing preload requires the box to be removed - you have to adjust the plate at the end of the box where the steering shaft attaches. This is described in your CSM.
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Turning the adjustment screw on the steering box cover will help tighten a manual box, but not a power box. Proper adjustment of bearing preload requires the box to be removed - you have to adjust the plate at the end of the box where the steering shaft attaches. This is described in your CSM.
Big difference-failed to mentioned it is power steering
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Administrator

I've done it the same way on both, like I said a little is a lot. Make sure the wheels are straight before you start. After you adjust it start the car and check. You might have to do this a couple of times, if it starts to bind the steering back of the amount of the last adjustment. It will not solve a worn part problem inside the steering box. Sorry your right it's a hex socket on yours, the nut is really not tha tight.
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

I've done it the same way on both, like I said a little is a lot. Make sure the wheels are straight before you start. After you adjust it start the car and check. You might have to do this a couple of times, if it starts to bind the steering back of the amount of the last adjustment. It will not solve a worn part problem inside the steering box. Sorry your right it's a hex socket on yours, the nut is really not tha tight.
Joe mentioned that to adjust a power steering unit I would have to go into the end?
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Al Graff
This is a frame off restoration. By worn components what parts? Everything has been replaced as well as alignment by a compendent shop. The insert on mine is hex. 71 442 Thanks for the advise. Should be fun loosing the nut huh?
Mine is the same, all brand new components (except gearbox) and fresh alignment. '72 Supreme convertible.

Big difference-failed to mentioned it is power steering
Mine is power steering as well.
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Administrator

If you don't believe me google it, how to adjust freeplay in a gm power steering box. It is not a cure all. But it will take some of it out. The worm gear does wear and the adjustment makes it mesh tighter.
Old August 27th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What the hell is a poppet valve?
a simplified explanation here: http://www.privatefleet.com.au/glossary/a-poppet-valve/

I looked in the CSM for where it is and they must call it something else? Maybe the spool valve? Just guessing because I'm not a mechanic. From what I've seen and read though I'm guessing it controls the rate of flow, or fluid pressure in the gearbox.
Old August 27th, 2012, 06:12 PM

not sure but i beleive that the sector shaft [the shaft that the pitman arm is attached to] will have end play if an adjustment is required,turn the adjusting screw in untill no more end play then back it out about a 1/8 turn.correct me if i am wrong.
Old August 27th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

If you don't believe me google it, how to adjust freeplay in a gm power steering box. It is not a cure all. But it will take some of it out. The worm gear does wear and the adjustment makes it mesh tighter.
Going for it tomorrow night-will post my results.......
Old August 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM

This is a frame off restoration.
There's you problem - did you not put the frame back on?

Mine was loosey goosey like yours, too. Tie rods and BJs were not excessively worn. I could move the steery wheel about 3" effortlessly before the wheels turned - bad feeling when driving.
The steering box rebuilder said it had seen its better days as it was well worn after 155k miles. It was driven hard in sandy environments and had grit all in it.
It is now virgin-tight after rebuild.
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71

Mine was loosey goosey like yours, too. Tie rods and BJs were not excessively worn. I could move the steery wheel about 3" effortlessly before the wheels turned - bad feeling when driving.
The steering box rebuilder said it had seen its better days as it was well worn after 155k miles. It was driven hard in sandy environments and had grit all in it.
Wow! Rob, that is some metaphor you chose! A bit risque, especially for you lol!
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Some of us (I have) may not have experienced the tightness you describe Rob. Do you have any other metaphore's?
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by lady72nrob71
there's you problem - did you not put the frame back on?

Mine was loosey goosey like yours, too. Tie rods and bjs were not excessively worn. I could move the steery wheel about 3" effortlessly before the wheels turned - bad feeling when driving.
frame?????
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

FRAME????OH.....
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Eh Rob-incase I have to go the rebuild route you got someone to recommend? Oh that's right! You did it yourself last Friday!
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Some of us (I have) may not have experienced the tightness you describe Rob. Do you have any other metaphore's?
I haven't either!!!
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Me - always with another question, right?

Al, just a question about the steering and I know this isn't all that fair. By any chance did it behave like this before you did the resto? I realize you've had to be involved with so much of the work at the shop that it can be mind boggling and you may not remember back to then? Just curious to know if the feel of the steering might not be related to the resto at all. When you had the pump and gearbox off, did you do anything to them aside from changing the hoses and cleaning them up?

BTW I just ordered all new proper 'concourse' hoses from ILT so I'll be taking my steering box and pump off again so I don't spill fluid all over the place. I found that when I was 'bleeding the air' from the power steering it felt really loosey goosey. I posted that in my thread and the answer I got from a lot of guys was this is 'normal'. Even the CSM says that it may be necessary to bleed the air by turning lock to lock for quite some time. The others also said that after about a week of driving it would be back to normal. Is this any help to you at all?
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:40 AM

Do the 93 - 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box upgrade.

Factory was 16:1 (3.5-4 turns) and the Jeep is 12.7:1 (2.5-3 turns)
They're all over junkyards for $50 plus the rag joint for.....I think ~$50 IIRC

There's also 2 little adaptor fittings for it for $10 but I cant remember where I got them.
There's info all over LS1tech for this stuff with part #'s and Chevelles.com

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/9343854-post93.html

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 29th, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

If you are wanting an original look talk to Chip at Power Steering Services. Super guy. He can replace the insides of your original case to make it a 12:1. He did mine, based on Rob's recommendation. I can only tell you it looks good in a box in the basement, but Rob had Chip do his, and you already heard Rob's report.
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:22 AM
72 Olds CS

troy whats the bill on a steering box rebuild ?
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

It's more expensive than a Jeep box from the junkyard, its around $295.00 - "standard detailing" about $40 extra for the better detailing IIRC. WWW.powersteering.com is his site
Old August 29th, 2012, 12:28 PM
72 Olds CS

thanks
Old August 30th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Hi Rob- so where did you get your box rebuilt. I've tried everthing except tightening the screw on top. Only 99K on it but I stiil say it needs to have no play.
Thanx,AL
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:30 PM

Chip from PS services did mine.
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Al, did you try doing the worm gear adjustment on top yet?
Old August 31st, 2012, 08:09 AM
delete

I got mine from The Parts Place (everyone's favorite) and was very happy with it. Good thing is that they don't require the core back so you can have it ready to go as soon as you pull the old one out.

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocat...g%20gear%20box
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Al, did you try doing the worm gear adjustment on top yet?
Wan't ignoring you-been so damn busy with work and life. No I didn't. Spoke with many guys and drove it and the vote is to just replace it. So was going to get a rebuilt from PP. Liked Chip's but don't want to wait 3 weeks.
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Hmmm, $300+ for a rebuilt, or try a 1/8 turn for free. Your going to buy a new 1 anyway, at least give it try.
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:16 PM

Right - what's to loose?
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Right - what's to loose?
Owwwwwwwww!!!

Aren't puns against the forum rules?

- Eric
Old September 16th, 2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by mdchanic
owwwwwwwww!!!