General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Private investigator needed in Boston area

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2019, 04:58 PM
66 Delta Convertible

Got a lawyer, found the car in a body shop not far from CMC. The bill to get it out of the shop is like $16,000. The car is of course sans engine, transmission, interior, etc. Who knows where that is. Sent an email to Tony at CMC asking him to reimburse me at which time I would surrender the title. (It should probably go to the body shop.). Otherwise I would continue to pursue legal action. My lawyer says we could probably end up with a lien on his condo. In which case I could only get paid if they try to refinance or sell.
Old April 11th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Higuy
Got a lawyer, found the car in a body shop not far from CMC. The bill to get it out of the shop is like $16,000. The car is of course sans engine, transmission, interior, etc. Who knows where that is. Sent an email to Tony at CMC asking him to reimburse me at which time I would surrender the title. (It should probably go to the body shop.). Otherwise I would continue to pursue legal action. My lawyer says we could probably end up with a lien on his condo. In which case I could only get paid if they try to refinance or sell.
John- Thanks for the update. Sorry for your nightmare. You're trending in the right direction - at least. All the best.
Old April 11th, 2019, 05:03 PM
66 Delta Convertible

It is written: “the stupid shall be punished.”
Old April 11th, 2019, 05:16 PM

In Massachusetts the judges are so inclined NOT to make people pay when they are found without money ... regardless of where they got the money they may have had at one time, or where it has gone since then ... if someone is claiming they got NO money in a Massachusetts court, they will just be let go & continued to a later date - if one is lucky an attachment to one's assets or property may apply (vs the Homestead Act)

Sorry to hear of your situation
Old April 12th, 2019, 05:19 AM

John, you mentioned it would be $16k to retrieve the car. Is that for shipping/towing it home? Or is that what this joker wants to "finish" your Olds?
Old April 12th, 2019, 10:10 AM
66 Delta Convertible

The “joker” apparently subbed out the body work and he now owes the body shop $16K plus “storage.” I had nothing to do with the body shop. They’re screwed too.
Old April 12th, 2019, 04:05 PM

Sorry for your nightmare. I hope you get out of this with minimal financial damage. Too bad really. I want to pass judgement on this guy but I don't know the reasons why this went down like it did.
Old April 12th, 2019, 05:55 PM
Administrator

What a mess, hope it all works out.
Old May 9th, 2019, 04:51 PM
rayjvh@gmail.com

CMC Muscle Cars.

I just found your Thread about CMC. The blue/black 68 442 was mine until CMC bought it from a consignment dealer in Portland, Oregon. I found, at CMC and was monitoring its restoration in hopes of buying it back when completed. As stated they closed, I tried calling Tony Pasquale, left him a message, no response, an email to him, no response. I'm going to monitor your thread, and I'm still going to search for the 68. Sorry, you got shafted on your car. Hopefully, this will come to a happy end for both of us. Good luck
Old June 24th, 2020, 04:40 PM
Running On Empty

Hey John - What was the outcome of this debacle?
Old June 24th, 2020, 06:50 PM
66 Delta Convertible

Thanks for asking Norm, in February I got a call from the Middlesex County district attorneys office, asking me to provide documentation of my dealings with the shop owner. They are investigating mine and 4 or 5 similar cases involving the same shop. They are treating is as a criminal matter. I got together all the paperwork I had and sent it to them shortly there after. Meanwhile the car, as it is, apparently is in the same body shop in Medford MA. Last year I bought a ‘66 Delta 88 convertible, 84,000 miles, true survivor. PO had it since ‘73. I’ve done a lot of work to make it sweeter.

I need to join the Darksiders.

John
Old June 24th, 2020, 06:59 PM
Running On Empty

Sounds like they’re trying to establish willful intent to commit fraud. What a mess. Hope the new car is panning out.
Old June 25th, 2020, 04:59 AM

John, I hope the DA is able to prosecute this guy. Keep us posted.
Old June 25th, 2020, 03:32 PM
Frank Ignachuck

I live in Middlesex County Massachusetts. If the shop owner says his feelings have been hurt, he may get away with it.
Old June 26th, 2020, 06:07 AM

Shoplifting as well as many other crimes are no longer crimes in the immediate Boston area.
Old June 26th, 2020, 07:11 AM

NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.
Old June 26th, 2020, 07:31 AM

Truth is truth. If the laws are not enforced this will become the new normal. Unless one can restore a car themselves or work with local businesses, they'd be nuts to send it out of state. These stories are snowballing because of lack of enforcement of the laws and the exorbitant costs of out of state private investigation. Another nail in the car hobbies coffin. Jmo.
Old June 26th, 2020, 07:44 AM

I have followed this thread with interest, I don’t recall seeing political or religious discussions? Did I miss them?
Old June 26th, 2020, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I have followed this thread with interest, I don’t recall seeing political or religious discussions? Did I miss them?
3 posts up Matt, not overt, but close enough for the warning.
Old June 26th, 2020, 12:32 PM

Sounds like you need to go have a talk with the body shop. They need to release the car to you and take their money owed issue to the guy. They can't hold your car hostage for a debt that is not yours. Tell them to release the car to you, and you can both pursue this guy in court. Go see them in person, maybe make an appointment. If they are rude, or refuse, politely mention that you will be sending a certified letter from your attorney to release the car. Once they get that letter, if they do not release, your attorney brings the police and a tow truck and gets the car, or the shop owners get arrested.

They can file a mechanic's lein, which is for this situation, but they need to file it against the guy you hired, not your car (i.e. you.)

You should have lawyered up months ago.
Old June 26th, 2020, 12:49 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
You should have lawyered up months ago.
Post #41
Old June 27th, 2020, 09:09 AM

No engine, transmission, interior, "etc" the "etc" covers the many, what I refer to as "knick knacks" the hard to find, year specific parts. Chasing down these parts not only drain you financially but energy wise. Your at the tipping point, going ahead will (imo) probably cost you at least what you have in it, maybe more to get a running finished Turnpike Cruiser. Good luck.
Old June 27th, 2020, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Post #41
Sounds like his lawyer is a chode.
Old June 27th, 2020, 10:53 AM
O'smobile

I imagine there are some knick-knack boxes buried at CMS with '67' markings. Heck, with the title you can claim any part that fits your car at that place.
Old June 27th, 2020, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Orlando 1
I imagine there are some knick-knack boxes buried at CMS with '67' markings. Heck, with the title you can claim any part that fits your car at that place.
Believe me or not. Car's in Massachusetts, he's in Oregon. I am in the "middle" of a similar project. Even though I know better, I bought a 1967 442 convertible project missing everything he is plus the hood. It's been a challenge. Who's going to dig through the boxes marked "knick knacks 1967" when there's over 2,000 miles between the car and the owner. Being a convertible makes it even more of a challenge. Even the cross member is convertible specific. He's in the middle of a major dilemma even if he could get the drivetrain, interior and the "knick knacks." Jmo.
Old June 27th, 2020, 12:11 PM
O'smobile

Originally Posted by Kennybill
Believe me or not. Car's in Massachusetts, he's in Oregon. I am in the "middle" of a similar project. Even though I know better, I bought a 1967 442 convertible project missing everything he is plus the hood. It's been a challenge. Who's going to dig through the boxes marked "knick knacks 1967" when there's over 2,000 miles between the car and the owner. Being a convertible makes it even more of a challenge. Even the cross member is convertible specific. He's in the middle of a major dilemma even if he could get the drivetrain, interior and the "knick knacks." Jmo.
I'm just hoping for the best possible outcome to a bad situation. Just because the car is at the body shop doesn't mean CMS doesn't have more '67 parts for him. Parts in a box is better than none at all, just saying. Sorry you are having so much difficulty with your build Kennybill.