General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Buying a car across country

Old July 31st, 2010, 06:04 PM

Buying a car across country

Hi All,

I was hoping someone may have some experience buying a car across country. I am in New Jersey and seriously considering buying a cutlass from a private owner in Iowa. I have been researching transport companies and possibly a car inspector/appraiser. I honestly am not sure how to handle such a transaction and what precautions are needed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe
Old July 31st, 2010, 06:22 PM

I know a guy who has done it many times with no problems. I have done it 2 times however I picked up the car myself both times from an ad on Craigslist. The first car was in MN and I too am in NJ. The second time was for a car in NC. Its pretty simple, wire the $ to their account or send a cert check. Ask for title in return until ya get a shipper or go get the car. Biggest problem is getting an accurate description of the car. Seems most sellers forget lots of condition issues! I guess the biggest worry is to make sure there is a real car on the other end.
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:40 PM

There are a few Iowa guys on here I bet They could help out and take a look check out the classic olds map I have got two This way also one was represented as it is the other was overstated and not as nice as seller made out to be.
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:43 PM

I've done it, best thing to do is find a local Olds club, offer a few bucks for someone to go check it out, usually if the car is close the guys are more than happy to go look for free... after the inspection if you still want to go through with a deal there are a number of good transport companies.. I highly recommend autotransportdirect.com. Reliable car carriers is also really good
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:48 PM

Here's a suggestion. If the car is $10,000, make the certified cheque out for $7,000 and carry the rest in cash. If the car is not as described, and if you still want it, you can negotiate. Sometimes some savy salesmen will over sell the car and figure since you are paying by certified cheque you'll overlook the minor stuff and still pay the full amount to save time or someone else buying it out from under you. With a cheque less than the asking price and cash, you are still in control. Good luck. Or as some have suggested, have someone check it out for you.

Last edited by 442much; July 31st, 2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old August 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am going reach out to see if we can set it up. May have more questions at that time...
Old August 1st, 2010, 01:45 PM

have imported 2 cars from the states .One excellent, one not so good .
If I do it again I will beg a member on here to go n have a peek --few bucks to the member for that service is a great bit of insurance .

There are also auto check companies around .Not sure what they are like in the big usa.
mike
Old August 2nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Banned

i bought a raggedy 69 4 speed cutlass out of oregon for $1500,got it hauled home,found it had a busted frame.
got $600 back from the seller through ebay
discoverred it was a 4 speed post w-31 cutlass,old drag car

i believe Karl Sarpolis? has restored it
Old August 3rd, 2010, 04:58 PM

I just say Danger Danger Will Robinson. There has to be one nice Olds in Jersey for Sale. You just have to see a Car once they get 40+ years old its just a good idea. Plus most of the honest Old folks are gone. Good Luck!
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
car guy

I spent 6 months worth of weekends with an empty trailer behind me and even a few wasted plane trips before I found my 66. Same story over and over pictures look good, fluffed up description and arrive to look a junk. Some of it is people tying to pass something off to an unsuspecting buyer and sometimes the owers just didn't know what they had. I finally ended up winning my 66 in EBAY and shipped it here without a look but I looked a at least 60 pics of the car inside and out top to bottom on a lift. It was also an original paint survivor is there was no bondo or rust to hide. If its ever been painted you have to see it or have someone look at it period.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
GM Enthusiast

I have bought 3 cars off ebay, one from Texas, one from Indiana, and one from Wisconsin. With each one, I made sure they sent me at least 30 photos. I knew where the trouble spots potentially could be for rust so I had close ups of them as well. So far, I have to say that 2 out of 3 were great and one had some hidden damage that was not disclosed. I would do it again but only for inexpensive cars. (The most I ever spent was 12k so even if I got burned, it wasn't too terrible) If I was buying something that was expensive, I would do as others stated here and get someone to go and see it. A few $ for an inspection is a lot cheaper than making a big mistake.
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
(The most I ever spent was 12k so even if I got burned, it wasn't too terrible)
$12,000? Wow! I like your definition of not too terrible!