General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Private investigator needed in Boston area

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2019, 12:55 PM
66 Delta Convertible

Private investigator needed in Boston area

Some of you may have read my post from October ‘18 in the newbie section regarding the purchase of my 67 TC convertible that would be undergoing restoration. I purchased the car from an online ad in Hemmings motor news in September 2017 from a company called Classic muscle cars in Melrose MA. Their website is cmcars.com and I thought they seemed to be a reputable business. They supposedly specialize in mid 60s GM A bodies and restore them to original factory specs. The fixed price for the car was $30,500 (including delivery) to be paid in three increments. 1/3 at time of purchase, 1/3 when the restoration was 70% complete, and the final third at completion. At this point I have paid him 2/3 of the purchase price and he has sent me the title for the car. That was in October, 2018. Since about December he has not been answering any phone calls nor given any updates on the car. He finally texted me that his wife has been in ICU with MS and/or a stroke and he hasn’t looked at his phone in many weeks. The problem for me is that I live in Southern Oregon and his shop is in the Boston area. Other flying out there to check on the progress, I thought I’d reach out to the CO community to see if anyone is familiar with this shop or would be willing to sleuth around a little bit for me. The owner in Tony Pasquale and the shop address in 17 Upham St. Melrose MA

Thanks to anyone that would like to help John
Old April 1st, 2019, 04:43 PM

You're right to be checking on things. The story you describe sounds fishy. Hopefully it is OK and ends well for you.
Good luck.
Old April 1st, 2019, 05:41 PM
72 Olds CS

the google street view from 2017 doesn't look that promising the sign int he window says cmc coming soon, but the google reviews from as little as 5 months ago are all positive so thats encouraging

Old April 1st, 2019, 06:44 PM

I'm suspicious but that's my business. Check the endorsements on the back of the check. Were the checks deposited from the restorers company or individually What bank were they cashed from or deposited? You may want to call the bank to verify whether or not the restorer has a bank account at the bank or endorsed the payment to a third party. (The bank may not release this information)You may need to Subpoena the information.Ask questions ie: what hospital, when, how long, what were the symptoms, when does she get out,etc. You can't verify with the hospital because of the HIPA Laws.
Ask a member in the area whether or not there is or was. A restoration shop at the site provided.
Do you live intrastate or Interstate? We're checks and/or receipts sent by mail.
That's a start. Based on his responses you should get an idea whether or not he is sincere. Be careful. Frauds are the most convincing. Did you check with the BBB? Also, check with the Department of State to determine if such a business exists. When you speak to him, think cynically.
You're on the right track.
Keep us posted.

Last edited by twilightblue28A; April 1st, 2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old April 1st, 2019, 06:50 PM

Try touching base with Steve Minore. I think his home base is Massachusetts. He may know whether or not the shop is on the up and up.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 06:04 AM
66 Delta Convertible

I also googled the street view Retro. About a year ago the owner said he was moving into a new shop so that sort of coincides with what he said He sure seems to have some glowing reviews
Twilight, the payments were sent by wire transfer to Classic Muscle Cars account, except for a $2,150 personal check I sent to cover the addition of power windows and trunk release to the car. I did look at the BBB listing for the business but there are no reviews, good or bad. I have been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt so I’m not yet ready to rake him over the coals. Yes I’m hoping this has a positive outcome
Old April 2nd, 2019, 06:35 AM

In the reviews, I see a man named David Sharpe not only gives a good review but says he lives across the street from the shop. I'd be trying to contact this fellow. Second option, I'd be looking for deals on airfare. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 06:57 AM

Hope it ends well.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 07:18 AM
66 Delta Convertible

I’ve also contacted Hemmings customer liaison and am considering filing a formal complaint, also posting a review with the BBB. I will email the seller of my intentions before doing so.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 09:49 AM
Running On Empty

I viewed your CO post from October, 2018. I noticed the image you posted.
I reviewed the Classic Muscle Cars website and looked for your vehicle & it's displayed under their CURRENT RESTORATIONS page as 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
Reviewing/Capturing the Image Info of the image you placed on your October, 2018 CO thread & validating it was the exact same image (120294607.jpg) as contained on the Classic Muscle Cars website demonstrates the image itself was last modified on Monday, December 12, 2016, 6:31:10 PM (see image below). That date is either the original date the image was captured or the date the image was provided to Classic Muscle Cars (if so, probably from Hemmings).
I called the listed number (781) 810-8683 for Classic Muscle Cars - the telephone is temporarily Out Of Service.
There have been posts to the Facebook Classic Muscle Cars website by Classic Muscle Cars as recent as March 7, 2019.
Your vehicle is listed on the Classic Muscle Cars Facebook website.

I found this dated Nov. 13, 2018:
11:35 a.m.: Walk-in reported a stolen vehicle at Classic Muscle Cars on Upham St. Report taken.
I hope it wasn't a completely restored 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass.

Higuy - 1967 Olds Cutlass

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 2nd, 2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 10:56 AM
66 Delta Convertible

Thank you Norm for taking the time to do that. I’m not on Facebook anymore so I appreciate the info
Old April 2nd, 2019, 11:07 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Higuy
Thank you Norm for taking the time to do that. I’m not on Facebook anymore so I appreciate the info
Sure thing Higuy. You don't have to be on Facebook to view their site. I'm not on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/ClassicMuscleCarsMelroseMass/

Click on the Photos on the LH-side of the page, then the Timeline Photos - yours is about 1/2 way down the page.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 2nd, 2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 12:35 PM
Beer Connoisseur

This is from their Facebook page.

Old April 2nd, 2019, 01:41 PM
66 Delta Convertible

Not exactly the news I wanted to hear. I just now called Melrose MA police department and found out they have a detective working the case. I won’t be able to talk to him until Thursday PM to make a report. Apparently I’m not the only one, which doesn’t make me feel any better. Thanks to all of you for your help.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 01:51 PM
Running On Empty

Not exactly the news I wanted to hear. I just now called Melrose MA police department and found out they have a detective working the case. I won’t be able to talk to him until Thursday PM to make a report. Apparently I’m not the only one, which doesn’t make me feel any better. Thanks to all of you for your help.
Not certain how this will turn out. Apparently he is MIA. Based upon your statement:
He finally texted me that his wife has been in ICU with MS and/or a stroke and he hasn’t looked at his phone in many weeks
this could still be the case. I'd certainly mention this to the Melrose police department and provide them with the telephone number which he texted you from. There are many families with the name Pasquale in Melrose, MA. At this point it's easy to presume he's a cheat, deceptive, fraudulent, etc. Assumptions are easy to come by until you know the facts. The worst case scenario is always a possibility - he took his own life. So, nothings carved in stone quite yet.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 2nd, 2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 02:16 PM
66 Delta Convertible

Agreed Norm. His cellphone is still very much alive. I just texted him and my phone displayed that the text was “read”.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 02:21 PM
Running On Empty

Agreed Norm. His cellphone is still very much alive. I just texted him and my phone displayed that the text was “read”.
That's relatively good news I suspect. 'Who' read the text is another question.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 04:16 PM

Looking at the Mass.gov’s website www.sec.state.ma.us/index.htm you will find a link to “Corporations”. Click on this link and on the page that opens up click the link under “Search by Subject” “Search the Corporate Database”. Search by his first name “Anthony” and then enter his last name and click on “Search Corporations”.

You will see CMC Classic Muscle Cars. LLC. Clicking on the first record shows an address for Medford MA. which I would believe is his home address. Not much is filed except for one record for Certificate of Organization.

I hope this can help after talking to the police contacting a lawyer to see if you can place a lien on his property. Best of luck
Old April 2nd, 2019, 04:25 PM
Running On Empty

At this point I have paid him 2/3 of the purchase price and he has sent me the title for the car.
^^^This is what's interesting. You have the title for the vehicle but no vehicle. The conundrum: Is he going to release the vehicle to you in it's current state of condition/restoration? Does he have the owner's (your) vehicle in his possession?
Not certain whether you'd apply for a lien on his property. If he released the vehicle to you in it's current state, I would suspect he completed 2/3 of the restoration? If he released it to you, does that remove him from further obligation?
I'm hoping you have a physical piece of paper with a contract for work.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 05:01 PM
Running On Empty

Having reviewed the ICANN WHOIS database and verifying the registrar for the domain www.cmcars.com is www.register.com, I performed a WHOIS LOOKUP for cmcars.com at https://whois.register.com/ yielding the following information:

cmcars.com

Domain Name: cmcars.com
Registry Domain ID: 1747954632_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.register.com
Registrar URL: http://www.register.com
Updated Date: 2018-09-27T07:39:42Z
Creation Date: 2012-09-26T18:42:30Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-09-26T18:42:30Z
Registrar: Register.com, Inc.
Registrar IANA ID: 9
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited http://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: anthony pasquale
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 3920 mystic valley pkwy suite 901
Registrant City: medford
Registrant State/Province: MA
Registrant Postal Code: 02155
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.7815306266
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext.:
Registrant Email: anthonyppasquale@gmail.com
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: anthony pasquale
Admin Organization:
Admin Street: 3920 mystic valley pkwy suite 901
Admin City: medford
Admin State/Province: MA
Admin Postal Code: 02155
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.7815306266
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext.:
Admin Email: anthonyppasquale@gmail.com
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: Domain Registrar
Tech Organization: Registercom
Tech Street: 12808 Gran Bay Pkwy
Tech City: West Jacksonville
Tech State/Province: FL
Tech Postal Code: 32258
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.9027492701
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech Fax: +1.9027492701
Tech Fax Ext.:
Tech Email: domainregistrar@register.com
Name Server: dns010.d.register.com
Name Server: dns150.c.register.com
Name Server: dns200.b.register.com
Name Server: dns040.a.register.com
DNSSEC: Unsigned
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@web.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8773812449

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 2nd, 2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 06:53 AM

That's crazy that there's an investigation open on this guy. Hopefully the PD investigator has some good news on Thursday.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 10:38 AM

Better hire an attorney....quick.
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:25 AM

We had a guy like that in nor cal. He is doing 15 years in San Quentin, sentenced about a year ago. In our case (yes I was swindled) the district attorney was the person to go to. Call them, file a complaint, it is free and it’s their job. Also we have a state bureau of automotive repair BAR, make contact with them. Goggle “west coat auto craft” to see what I and dozens of others went through. Good luck.
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:27 AM

http://www.sonomawest.com/cloverdale...b020b1d73.html
Old April 8th, 2019, 12:50 PM
66 Delta Convertible

Apparently I was given some misinformation by the first officer I spoke to last week. I did talk with the other detective Thursday night who said there had been one other police complaint on this guy, hardly an investigation. Detective claimed it was a civil matter until I told him I had the title, in which case I could make a police report. In the meantime I emailed the shop owner and told him I was going to fly back there, go to his shop, and if no one was there make the police report. He emailed me back the next day saying the shop was closed and to send copies of any payments I had sent to his email. It sounds like he’s getting ready to file for bankruptcy, so I called the US bankruptcy court in Massachusetts this morning. They have no information that he has filed as of yet.
Old April 8th, 2019, 01:16 PM

Apparently I was given some misinformation by the first officer I spoke to last week. I did talk with the other detective Thursday night who said there had been one other police complaint on this guy, hardly an investigation. Detective claimed it was a civil matter until I told him I had the title, in which case I could make a police report. In the meantime I emailed the shop owner and told him I was going to fly back there, go to his shop, and if no one was there make the police report. He emailed me back the next day saying the shop was closed and to send copies of any payments I had sent to his email. It sounds like he’s getting ready to file for bankruptcy, so I called the US bankruptcy court in Massachusetts this morning. They have no information that he has filed as of yet.
Higuy, I live in Salem MA which is north of Boston. Have you gotten anywhere as of yet?

Andy F.
Old April 8th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Andrew Francis
Higuy, I live in Salem MA which is north of Boston. Have you gotten anywhere as of yet?Andy F.
Higuy just posted that update 25 minutes ago.
Old April 8th, 2019, 01:24 PM
66 Delta Convertible

Thanks Andy, I may need help finding an attorney in that area though. I think that’s the next step.
Old April 8th, 2019, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Higuy just posted that update 25 minutes ago.
Haha, that he did! Missed that time stamp
Old April 8th, 2019, 02:04 PM
Running On Empty

Hey John- The 'shop owner' you're referring to is Tony - is that correct?
Have you asked the shop owner 'Tony', if he has your car? And, if he does, what is the current state of the car?
Old April 8th, 2019, 02:21 PM
66 Delta Convertible

Yes, Tony is the shop owner. He’s not very forthcoming but It should be ready to paint. Engine/trans already rebuilt. They were in the process of restoring the instrument panel. His email said he “unfortunately was not going to be able to finish the car.” I need to try contacting him again to ask if he indeed is filling bankruptcy, and what is the status of the car. I was really looking forward to getting that car
Old April 8th, 2019, 02:29 PM
Running On Empty

Yes, Tony is the shop owner. He’s not very forthcoming but It should be ready to paint. Engine/trans already rebuilt. They were in the process of restoring the instrument panel. His email said he “unfortunately was not going to be able to finish the car.” I need to try contacting him again to ask if he indeed is filling bankruptcy, and what is the status of the car. I was really looking forward to getting that car
I have no stake in & or knowledge regarding personal bankruptcy & how it all proceeds - I assume other people he owes cash to will file a lien against property he owns, in order to help some of them recoup their losses? And, it sounds like a long drawn out process.
'Since', you have title to the vehicle and you own the vehicle, I'd be curious if he'd release the car to you in its current state? It would sure save you, IMO, a ton of hassles and a long drawn out process i.e. grab your car and run, very, very fast.
Old April 10th, 2019, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'd be curious if he'd release the car to you in its current state? It would sure save you, IMO, a ton of hassles and a long drawn out process i.e. grab your car and run, very, very fast.
x2

The OP mentioned in the first post that he has paid 2/3 of the agreed upon price. Hopefully this jabroni got some work done on the car. It's probably time to go rescue the car and file a police report/civil lawsuit if needed. Hope you can get your car back without too much hassle.
Old April 10th, 2019, 05:00 AM

Couldn't hurt to try to work out a deal on car as-is before he files, chances are you will not get car if he files.
Old April 10th, 2019, 06:46 AM

2/3 of the price was to include restoration ? I would get a local lawyer (in "Boston") and get possession of the car and any parts. If things are started before the bankruptcy proceedings, it might be easier to gain control of the car. Legal stuff can move very slowly.
......Just my two cents worth.
Old April 10th, 2019, 10:22 AM
Running On Empty

John- Everyone is wishing the best for you!
Old April 10th, 2019, 02:32 PM

I'd visit him with a tow truck, a van, 5 guys, and some shotguns, then do some intense negotiations. You should get the car, all parts, and money back to what is a fair price for work done so far, plus money for your effort (or goods of similar monetary equivalent.)
Old April 10th, 2019, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I'd visit him with a tow truck, a van, 5 guys, and some shotguns, then do some intense negotiations. You should get the car, all parts, and money back to what is a fair price for work done so far, plus money for your effort (or goods of similar monetary equivalent.)
YUP - I like your style !

There's a very small chance this guy just fell apart and will eventually do the right thing ... BUT your advise could settle it in a day vs nearly a lifetime of litigation
Old April 11th, 2019, 12:26 PM

Thanks Andy, I may need help finding an attorney in that area though. I think that’s the next step.
If you need me to take a short ride to this address and check for a car I would be happy to help out as far as recon goes. As far as lawyers go I don't think I would be able to help too much on that other than local commercials for themand local directories. Let me know! Best of luck on everything!

Last edited by Andrew Francis; April 11th, 2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old April 11th, 2019, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Couldn't hurt to try to work out a deal on car as-is before he files, chances are you will not get car if he files.
The OP has title to the car....it is HIS property. He should be able to get the car, bankruptcy court or not.

Quick Reply: Private investigator needed in Boston area