General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New steering box leaked all fluid out!

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2014, 05:17 PM

New steering box leaked all fluid out!

Hey Olds Folk. Not that anyone is "Old" here.
Replaced my steering box now ( I should say a local mechanic )
It was leaking with the original. I had them put a variable ratio 13:1 to 16:1 for a tighter feel.That it did. However it was leaking ever more sever than before.
In fact "All" the fluid leak out in 3 days ( What a Mess! ) I wiped down the hose and it seems to be leaking where the hose or flange goes into the steering box.
They said they tightened it to hell and it still leaked.
Weren't they supposed to replace a " O " ring or something? He said something like " They used to make copper rings that we can't find " I called AutoZone and they said that mechanic didn't know what He was doing and that a simple O ring would have stopped the massive bleeding. Man.... Your thoughts Olds Folk...... Thanks
Old September 2nd, 2014, 05:33 PM

My thought is you need a new mechanic. It sounds like he installed your old flared lines in a steering box that requires a hose ends that have O rings. However, I can't be certain with the limited info provided.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 05:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Nobody knows what he's talking about.

This the reason why we don't pay people to work on our cars. Because people are idiots.

Helpful hint: If the part isn't repaired, the "mechanic" shouldn't give the car back to the customer.
"Sorry, I couldn't get it to stop leaking, even though I tuned the wrench really hard."
Total idiot.

And, no, the 45° flare fitting on the pressure inlet on the steering box doesn't use an O-ring.
So the idiot at AutoZone is an idiot, too.

***uming that the steering box that was installed was the right box for your car, the thing that would have stopped the massive bleeding is for there to have been one less idiot in this equation.
Failing that, the idiot who put it together should have put it together correctly.
There is a decent chance that he crossthreaded the nut, tightened it up with a piece of rust or other crud stuck on the sealing surface, or overtightened it.
It is also possible that one of the sealing surfaces was damaged, which he should have noticed, or that, as DLaz said above, he installed a box with the wrong type of fitting.

If checking for and correcting the above problems does not help (and that is all that should be necessary), then you can use a copper 45° flare gasket like this:

They are available here and here, but I think that NAPA can also get them in, once you have explained what they are.

Oh, and if oil is pouring out of your car - don't drive like that.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; September 2nd, 2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic

This the reason why we don't pay people to work on our cars. Because people are idiots.

Helpful hint: If the part isn't repaired, the "mechanic" shouldn't give the car back to the customer.
"Sorry, I couldn't get it to stop leaking, even though I tuned the wrench really hard."
Total idiot.

And, no, the 45° flare fitting on the pressure inlet on the steering box doesn't use an O-ring.

***uming that the steering box that was installed was the right box for your car, the thing that would have stopped the massive bleeding is for there to have been one less idiot in this equation.
Failing that, the idiot who put it together should have put it together correctly.
There is a decent chance that he crossthreaded the nut, tightened it up with a piece of rust or other crud stuck on the sealing surface, or overtightened it.
It is also possible that one of the sealing surfaces was damaged, which he should have noticed, or that, as DLaz said above, he installed a box with the wrong type of fitting.

If checking for and correcting the above problems does not help (and that is all that should be necessary), then you can use a copper 45° flare gasket like this:

They are available here and here, but I think that NAPA can also get them in, once you have explained what they are.

- Eric
Have just ordered your suggestion. Will have it in 2 days. Thanks again for your wisdom M.D. That has to be the reason it is leaking. No other answer..
Will Let You know. Thanks for sure.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Just make sure that Einstein didn't install a box with the newer metric O-ring fittings.

- Eric
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:07 PM

also try putting some telflon tape on the threads
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:32 PM

And if none of those suggestions work, just weld the hoses on
Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by johnnyjaws
also try putting some telflon tape on the threads
The threads are not the sealing surface for either a flare fitting or an O-ring fitting.

You should never use teflon tape on either of these types of fittings.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; September 3rd, 2014 at 05:17 AM. Reason: &%$ Typos
Old September 3rd, 2014, 04:47 AM

A link to the new steering box would help to tell if it is an O ring fitting that's needed or something like the conical adapter from Lee Mfg.
http://lee-powersteering.com/rebuild-misc.htm

Last edited by garys 68&72; September 3rd, 2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:20 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by garys 68&72
A link to the new steering box would help to tell if it is an O ring fitting that's needed or something like the conical adapter from
To avoid confusion, note that the flare gaskets I posted photos of above are for correct mating pairs of flare fittings, NOT for adapting flare fittings to O-ring receptacles, like the Lee adapters are.

Here is a photo from the Lee site that shows their adapter fittings (two tiny things way down on the lower right):

- Eric
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:18 AM

Any refrigeration part supplier will have the copper gaskets. I use them all the time.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:33 PM

To avoid confusion, note that the flare gaskets I posted photos of above are for correct mating pairs of flare fittings, NOT for adapting flare fittings to O-ring receptacles, like the Lee adapters are.

Here is a photo from the Lee site that shows their adapter fittings (two tiny things way down on the lower right):

- Eric
O.K. I'll match them up. This steering box replacement was an exact fitting for the original ( Supposedly ) No changes needed anywhere. I'm still confident that it is just the copper fitting that is needed. Part hasn't got here.
Will definitely let You know. No worries...... Yet.....
Old September 6th, 2014, 06:36 PM

Technical Specs
ItemFlare GasketFlare Type45 DegreesBody MaterialCopperConnection TypeFlareTube Size1/4"Max. Pressure1400 psiTemp. Range-65 Degrees to 250 Deg O.K. Did I order wrong size... Cause these copper washers look way..... to small. Also , It is the return hose fitting that is leaking. Especially when I start and idle. " It seeps out fast" The high pressure hose fitting is not leaking. It's the return hose fitting at the steering box connector that is pouring out at start up. That fitting I cannot find at any local auto store (The metal fitting into the gearbox) Can anyone help Me here? Need an exact fit.... Thanks a Million

Total idiot.

- Eric
Old September 7th, 2014, 08:33 AM

I'm thinking I ordered the wrong part? Here are the specs: Technical Specs
ItemRefrigeration Brass FittingTypeGasketDescriptionCopper Flare GasketConnection1/4Outside Dia. (In.)3/8Inside Dia. (In.)3/16Max. Working Pressure (PSI)700. Also, It is the return hose fitting that is leaking. Badly on start up. Going to replace the hose fitting as well. Except cannot find anyone local that carries it ( have only asked for part by phone) Everyone has the return hose but not the fitting. Any suggestions on where to find? Thanks

Total idiot.

- Eric
Old September 7th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Here's a post I made on return hose fittings.

The fittings in question were intended to be for the newer type boxes with the O-ring seal, but you can also get these with the 45 degree flare fitting. Just go down to NAPA and see what they've got.

Here's a picture of the O-ring type of fitting - the flare fitting is slightly different, so don't confuse them.

- Eric
Old September 7th, 2014, 01:13 PM

O.k Eric Thanks.... Also Is this the wrong size copper gasket as shown above?

Technical Specs
ItemRefrigeration Brass FittingTypeGasketDescriptionCopper Flare GasketConnection1/4Outside Dia. (In.)3/8Inside Dia. (In.)3/16Max. Working Pressure (PSI)700

Looks to small. What is the inside diameter supposed to be? Thanks
Old September 7th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The flare fittings on the Saginaw steering boxes are ⅜" 45° flare.

The pressure side uses a 11/16 x 18 thread nut and the return side uses a 5/16 x 18 thread nut.

In Valin catalogue 5301E, the fitting is Part #2GF-6 on page E5, and sells for 56¢.

At HosesAndFittings, interestingly, they do not specify which part number is for which size, but I'm betting the correct one is HF2GF-06, for 55¢ each.

Just call any supplier and ask for ⅜" 45° copper flare gaskets.

- Eric
Old September 10th, 2014, 05:12 PM

The flare fittings on the Saginaw steering boxes are ⅜" 45° flare.

The pressure side uses a 11/16 x 18 thread nut and the return side uses a 5/16 x 18 thread nut.

In Valin catalogue 5301E, the fitting is Part #2GF-6 on page E5, and sells for 56¢.

At HosesAndFittings, interestingly, they do not specify which part number is for which size, but I'm betting the correct one is HF2GF-06, for 55¢ each.

Just call any supplier and ask for ⅜" 45° copper flare gaskets.

- Eric
Update...... Got the 2GF-6 copper gasket today( No hose fitting necessary) Installed, Filled with fluid. And No leaks! Beautiful....... Thanks and Good Job Eric..... And everyone else whom gave their knowledge.

Side note.... I called Year One whom I bought the gearbox from (great people) Told them of the leak and the copper washer info. They gave several scenarios that could be wrong,And said it needed no copper gasket.The Guy I spoke with was very knowledgeable of the gearbox and said no gasket was needed. But Wow! A .50 cent gasket fixed it. Why don't they just include it with the gearbox? And save a LOT of headaches....

Last edited by MudEye; September 10th, 2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old September 10th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by MudEye
The Guy I spoke with was very knowledgeable of the gearbox and said no gasket was needed.
He's right, of course. No gasket should be needed.

But as we all learn with age, the way things should be is not always the same as the way things are.
For instance, my hair should be thicker and less grey.

Glad you got it fixed!

- Eric
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:48 AM
Registered Luser

Now to make sure you get all the air out of the system.....