General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Flooded Car Question

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2010, 04:14 AM

Flooded Car Question

A friend made me aware of a '70 Olds 442 convertible that is for sale. This was a wonderful car prior to the '05 hurricane which put the car 10'+ under water. Car is auto trans with original engine, all power and air. The engine will turn over. Dual gate shifter, original ram air hood. They want $7k+/-. I do some paint/body/restoration on some old muscle cars but I have never worked on a flood car. I suppose every nut and bolt, switch, panel, etc would need to come off? I prob need to pass?
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:23 AM

It will require a complete restoration to make it right. Wiring harness all needs to be replaced where it got wet as will and other electrical parts. I had a friend buy a boat that sank in 4 ft of water and all was well except the electrical. Of course the boat was made to be in water.
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by 442oldslawyer
IOf course the boat was made to be in water.
Yes that is true, but not under the water. A car that has been in a flood. Like to rust in places most cars don't. So be aware that car that was flood in 05 and has set is going to need a complete restore. If it would have been taken completely apart after being flooded it would have been better for the car. All I can say is BUYER BEWARE.
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:25 AM

mud will be EVERYWHERE!! inside gauges, lamps, radio, switches, seats, electrical connections, EVERYWHERE!!

don't walk away, RUN
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:26 AM

I know people who have easily restored flood cars, but they only got flooded to the mid-doors in fresh water.

Ten feet under in muddy salt water (and possibly mixed with chemicals and sewage) seems like a bit too much, especially for 7K! Salt water will corrode everything in a hurry. To keep the car safe, EVERYTHING will need to be gon through.

The entire interior would need to be gutted & replaced for sure and that is easily 5K right there. Engine and trans and axle would need a complete rebuild (at least for cleaning), I am sure that would be another 5K or much more.
Hows the top? That is another 1K to replace.
Steery column, power window and lock motors will need overhaul, A/C controls, and all electrical switches, too. Power steering unit may have leaked, brakes?? Radio & speakers & all relays will need replacement. Wiring perhaps. New gas tank and lines...

Of course I can not see the car or know the history, but if the corrosion on the chassis and body is not too bad, and you are willing to do the washout and resto, then it might be worth it for a '70 442 vert!
I do think 7K is a bit steep though for what this would need.
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:41 AM

IMHO

The only way that would make sense is if you had a donor car to use to replace EVERYTHING.

Even then [by the hour] you'd be better off flipping burgers at Mc Donald's
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:00 AM

$7k is too much.
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Cutlass Lover

Bet it smells too! I would pass on it....
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:36 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I wouldn't go much more than parts value if that. sounds like a lost cause.
Larry
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:51 AM

You don't say if it was in fresh or salt water. If it was in salt water I would say no way. I have restored a car that was flooded in fresh water its a tough job.

Everything has to come out and taken apart, seats (the frame and springs rust). Just like a complete frame off. $1,500.00 - $2,000.00 max. Your going to spend a lot of money putting it back together.
Old February 5th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Loose Radical

'70 Vert, 442, numbers matching........................7K

would not scare me if it was not a rust bucket to begin with.

I've seen others go for that money with no: floors, trunk, motor, hood, not verts..........................
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by slowolds
'70 vert, 442, numbers matching........................7k

would not scare me if it was not a rust bucket to begin with.

I've seen others go for that money with no: Floors, trunk, motor, hood, not verts..........................
x2!!!!!!!!!
Old February 5th, 2010, 10:40 AM

I have some pictures of the car. It has been cleaned up some but, as you all say, will need a complete teardown, strip, dip, rebuild. The car was great before the flood but was completely submerged by the water. It was near NO La so I guess that was fresh water that flooded it. It is going to be too much for me regardless. When the owner permits, I have a bunch of pictures on line that i can post.
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Past Administrator

Every piece of un-protected steel will have at least flash rust on it, like the inside panels of doors, kick panels, that area in the cowl where the fresh air comes in for the ventilation system, the underside of the package tray, everything. Some of those places can be accessed, some can't. I would pass.
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:32 PM

I have dealt with a number of flood cars while in SC for 30 years. The normal rule is, if fresh water was not up to the dash probably OK,if over dash-Total, if any salt water in car no matter what the depth TOTAL. I can assure you that with my experience with salt water cars that you will never have a car that is reliable or that will ever stop having rust pop out somewhere unless you are willing to completely disassemble and retreat every metal skin on the car and throw everything else away.
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the responses. This car went underwater (brackish NO La water) more than 14'. I agree that it would never be right and that trying to fix it woulld cost a fortune.
Old February 9th, 2010, 03:43 PM

Years ago I borrowed my Dads 75 Delta 88 convert to a friend to go to the store and he submurged it in 4 feet of water. The car went in nose first with the water line above the steering wheel and just over the back seat. I will have to agree that it had different issues showing up all the time. But the car was never dissassembled completely. If the car needs a complete restoration and the dash and wiring removed, as well as the insulation, I believe the car could be as good as any car dragged out of a barn.
My 2 cents