General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Data Tag Decoder Beta

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2014, 01:39 PM

Exclamation Additional Data 06-27-14

Originally Posted by Nop
I can't select my Fremont (BF) plant after selecting 40 - 3 - 4257 and the B80 (Chrome roof rail moulding) is on the same line as the 980 (Split bench) on my Fremont tag layout.

Other than that: Great work.

Ed:

A mouse over hint (for example for the date code drop downs) like "Date code digits 1 and 2" and "Date code character 3" would be a help
Thanks NOP!

BF has been added to the Assembly Plant list for 1970.

I was wondering when the data alignment issue would come to question...So, here is the explanation;
As many of you know there is disparity between year, division, and assembly plants as far as the exact placement of the tag data elements. This should be addressed in the next major release to where people can pick their tag layout prior to filling out their data elements on the screen and it in turn will look the same or very similar to the tag they are trying to decode. This is a relatively simple process, however thus far I have detected 12 different layouts which includes using RPO v. ACC codes for options, placement of the internal control numbers or absence of them (BF v other plants), BODY and PAINT to the left of the codes or to the right, possible other data elements like convertible top color, etc.

NOP, I LOVE the mouse over hint. Definately on the VERY short list, maybe by the end of this weekend because that is pretty simple coding. Great idea! I had planned on a very short tutorial on how to use it as well, but that idea will hold things over until I can get to that piece.

EVERYONE
These are the kind of suggestions I need to make this successful and useful to everyone. For those who have sent in their suggestions, thank you. For those who have not, don't hesitate. Like I said before, nothing is really off the table.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:47 PM

Exclamation Additional Data 07-02-14

Hi folks,

Added new paint and assembly plant data today. More updates coming soon!

Thanks,
Old July 8th, 2014, 03:46 PM

Exclamation Additional Data 07-08-14

Hope that everyone had a great 4th of July!

• Added ACC Code 2Z (T.H. 400 Transmission RPO M40) to Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, and Buick for 1966-67
  • Added ACC Code 5Z (Shoulder Belts RPO A85) to Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, and Buick for 1966-67

More coming soon!!
Old July 10th, 2014, 12:59 PM

All,
It has been about 2-weeks and the decoder has been hit almost 550 times! Thanks to those who have participated and help spread the word!

Thanks again!
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:26 PM

Exclamation Additional Data / Corrections 07-14-14

Additions:
Added ACC Code 5P "Luggage light (FRA only)" for 66-67 Olds and Buick,
Added ACC Code 5P "Luggage light (FRA only) Unconfirmed" for 66-67 Chevy
**5P already done for Pontiac.

Corrections:
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass Line mode name changes for F-85 and Cutlass.
Old July 21st, 2014, 02:47 PM

Seemed to work ok just might have missed a couple of options.
I attached pics of my Cowl Tag and the imput results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
67 Cowl.jpg (12.9 KB, 27 views)
Cowl_Tag_Info.jpg (40.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by ggoudas; July 21st, 2014 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Pics
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ggoudas
Seemed to work ok just might have missed a couple of options.
I attached pics of my Cowl Tag and the imput results.
I looked and it looks like you may not have selected the ACC codes from the dropdowns. (see attached) After you select the Year, GM division, body, upon selecting the assembly plant, in your case, LAN, you should have seen a long list of dropdowns show up. If you did not see that, let me know.

I ran your tag myself and came up with the second attached image. Does this look correct?

Oh and Pewter/Pewter and black is my DREAM 442 color scheme! Love it!
Attached Images

Last edited by chrisneu68olds; July 21st, 2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: ...
Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:59 PM

should i be using this link?
http://datatagdecoder.com/_beta/form.html
If yes i dont see where to add trim ACC it is blank.

If i go to this link.
http://datatagdecoder.com/
I see coming soon
Old July 22nd, 2014, 01:17 PM

I used Chrome and it worked fine.
I had issues with
XP SP3 IE 8
Version: 8.0 6001. 18702IC
Cipher Strength:128-bit

CQQL Tool Thanks
Attached Images
67 Cowl.jpg (12.9 KB, 15 views)
Decoded_Cowl.jpg (33.0 KB, 14 views)
Old July 22nd, 2014, 02:45 PM

should i be using this link?
If yes i don't see where to add trim ACC it is blank.

If i go to this link.
http://datatagdecoder.com/
I see coming soon
The the _beta/form.html is the correct one link for the beta, so you are correct there.

I will have to check one of my Win 7 machines that has IE9+ on it to make sure, but my XP w/IE8 didn't work correctly either. For me it was hit and miss but I don't have a typical setup because I use a set of development tools for my Win environments. I was able to replicate the problem on my end so thanks for pointing that out.

I used Chrome and it worked fine.
I had issues with
XP SP3 IE 8
Version: 8.0 6001. 18702IC
Cipher Strength:128-bit

CQQL Tool Thanks
IE8 is probably going to not be supported simply because IE 8 is ancient, but as you have probably figured out already IE8 is the latest MS browser that XP will accept. I was able to check on Chrome, Firefox, and Opera on XP and it does work, so this is really an XP/IE8 problem. You might have heard that MS has stopped support on XP a few months ago so this is likely going to be a sticking point for the next year or two.

I have done some deprecation to IE 9 and I think that is as far back as I dare go because of vulnerabilities in IE in general and older versions of IE especially. I will have to
a) add a browser compatibility check script
b) add some minimum requirements verbiage to the page

Thanks for getting back to me on this issue. This is as important as the data being rendered so I am glad that someone actually said something as opposed to saying 'it doesn't work' and moving on.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:24 AM

Hey Chris, thank you for all the time and effort you put into this project! I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from it in the future!

I tried to decode the cowl tag of my 66 Cutlass convertible and there were two things that didn't seem right...
The 5Y stands for deluxe seatbelts front and rear, unfortunately it's not a 442, otherwise it would have 5VY.
And the 2X should stand for column shift automatic, not floor shift and console.
Please anybody correct me if I'm wrong!

IMAG0068_zps5c3e1a1e.jpg
Unbenannt_zpsbd8ef12b.png
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by dancutlass
Hey Chris, thank you for all the time and effort you put into this project! I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from it in the future!

I tried to decode the cowl tag of my 66 Cutlass convertible and there were two things that didn't seem right...
The 5Y stands for deluxe seatbelts front and rear, unfortunately it's not a 442, otherwise it would have 5VY.
And the 2X should stand for column shift automatic, not floor shift and console.
Please anybody correct me if I'm wrong!
I am trying to weed out my Cutlass/442 pre 67 non Fremont verbiage and I changed it to this:
"Cutlass Convertible (442 was option. Cars not built in BF should have 5V Code on cowl tag.)"
I think this is clear enough but if someone else can think of something else to say it, I am all ears.

As far as 2X you are correct! I have fixed it. Good catch!
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:52 PM

I went to the datatagdecoder and it says coming soon, what gives? I have a headache searching for cowl tag decoding. Sounds like a great idea, like to try it when you get it fixed. Good luck.
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:21 PM

Why not post your tag in a new thread and we can help you?
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:38 PM

K. Thanks Diego, Ill get it in tomorrow.
Old August 8th, 2014, 06:18 AM

I used this and it worked
Older IE had problems so I used Google Chrome
Good luck!
Old August 8th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by hilbily
I went to the datatagdecoder and it says coming soon, what gives? I have a headache searching for cowl tag decoding. Sounds like a great idea, like to try it when you get it fixed. Good luck.
Apologies, that is totally on me. The link below was going to the wrong place and I have fixed it. Try again when you get a chance and let me know how it worked for you.
Old August 8th, 2014, 10:22 AM

Exclamation System Requirement Statement

System Requirements to use Data Tag Decoder:
(subject to change)

Operating System:
  • Win XP*-Win 7**
  • Linux (Ubuntu and Redhat has only been tested at this time)
  • Mac OSX 10x+
  • Mac iOS 6+***

Browser****:
  • Internet Explorer 9+
  • Firefox 25+
  • Chrome 25+
  • Safari 5.1+
  • Opera 12+

*XP runs IE 8 only, if you have XP you will need to use a non-Microsoft browser.
** Win 8 has not been evaluated yet. If there is anyone who is using Win 8 and would like to test, please email me at the address below
*** From my testing with Mac products, DataTagDecoder will work with the mobile iOS including iPhone, however the page design makes it a little tough to work with smaller screens. iPads work well, I do not have a non-Mac pad to try, but if anyone would like to try it out using an Andriod pad, let me know.
**** Javascript must be enabled

There have been some questions about doing more backward compatibility development, for example the ability to run on XP using IE8. Unfortunately Microsoft is not supporting XP or IE 8 anymore so that sort of forces me to look forward. Because of the nature of the Internet running older technology can often cause more problems than backward development solves. For those who don't know running a browser that is more than one current version back is vulnerable to system problems.

I am aware that there are still a lot of XP users in the world and that not everyone has a few hundred dollars to drop on a new computer so if you are set on keeping XP for a while longer I recommend that you install any non-Microsoft browser to use the decoder. I have tested the decoder in XP using Firefox, Chrome, and Opera and it functions well.

In other news,

We are almost up to 1000 hits with the decoder! Thanks to all who have tried it out!

I am still working on new codes and page designs but the day job gets in the way at times.

Thanks all!

Last edited by chrisneu68olds; August 8th, 2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: ...
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:05 AM

That was pretty neat, thanks! Mine came back 65 Jetstar1, burgundy mist, fawn strato bucket, tinted windshield only, air conditioning, rear seat speaker, and front deluxe seatbelts. All correct. I have power steering and brakes as well. I wonder why they didn't just buy a Starfire? Oh well, I think I'm going to go out and work on it a little bit!
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jetstarjim
That was pretty neat, thanks! Mine came back 65 Jetstar1, burgundy mist, fawn strato bucket, tinted windshield only, air conditioning, rear seat speaker, and front deluxe seatbelts. All correct. I have power steering and brakes as well. I wonder why they didn't just buy a Starfire? Oh well, I think I'm going to go out and work on it a little bit!
Great! Glad it worked for you.
Old October 12th, 2014, 02:44 PM

I tried a '68 Grand Prix & ran into a couple snags: plant code was not available (C=Southgate, CA) & it didn't have vinyl tops as a choice "D-2"?

not sure if that's "BCO" & "2224" or "BC" & "02224"??
Attached Images
266578c11xxxx-tag decode.jpg (57.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by hurst68olds; October 12th, 2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
I tried a '68 Grand Prix & ran into a couple snags: plant code was not available (C=Southgate, CA) & it didn't have vinyl tops as a choice "D-2"?

not sure if that's "BCO" & "2224" or "BC" & "02224"??
I will check and add the vinyl top code soon.
I will also check and add the assembly plant. From my research it should be "BC" so it would be BC02224.

Thanks!
Old October 20th, 2014, 02:25 PM

Now I have a question

Here is the body tag for the car I just got. I have everything down except the 388 behind the date code. Anyone have any ideas? Doesn't look like any RPO code I have ever seen...
Attached Images
IMG_0644.jpg (96.5 KB, 25 views)
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:23 PM

Awesome, thank you!!!

Data Tag Decoder Results Year 1968 Make Oldsmobile Model Cutlass Convertible Assembly Date Fourth week of Feburary Assembly Plant Fremont, CA Fisher Body Sequence 00208 Lower Color Willow Gold Upper Color/Conv Top White Convertible Top Interior Option Parchment Vinyl Bench Accessory Codes

Extra 1
Extra 2
Old October 29th, 2014, 06:21 PM

Worked good for me. Thanks!!
Old November 5th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Still on the planet...

You requested SOB input so I ran my low option '66 SS396 Chevelle.... results were perfect! Will run my Olds later but judging by the responses you've received I expect similar results. FYI, I used XP & IE... no problem. Thanks for a great resource!
Old November 7th, 2014, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Worked good for me. Thanks!!
Glad to hear it!

Originally Posted by Lonestar
You requested SOB input so I ran my low option '66 SS396 Chevelle.... results were perfect! Will run my Olds later but judging by the responses you've received I expect similar results. FYI, I used XP & IE... no problem. Thanks for a great resource!
Sure thing. I have been very busy with my day job to get the webpages built but the foundation is pretty solid. Glad that it worked with XP.
Old November 7th, 2014, 04:08 PM

Chris,

Here's one I couldn't decode using your site. It's from another thread on this site. Neither the 974 trim code nor the 53 paint code appeared on the dropdown lists when I had gotten to those points in the process.

cowl_zps639b3f66.jpeg?1415332266002&1415332266820
Old November 7th, 2014, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Chris,

Here's one I couldn't decode using your site. It's from another thread on this site. Neither the 974 trim code nor the 53 paint code appeared on the dropdown lists when I had gotten to those points in the process.
Ok found that code 53 is "Nugget Gold" (Special order paint @ extra cost) and 974 is stated as "Gold Vinyl Bucket." Both have been added to the database.
Old November 7th, 2014, 05:15 PM

Back to my question....
Behind my date code on my 71
05B388.
05B Second week of May
388 ???
Is this some sort of internal number for Fisher? It is not an RPO code for sure.

Anyone...
Anyone...
Bueller?
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:09 PM

Alpha Version Is Almost Ready!

I am finishing up the real webpages and still adding codes as much as I can. The alpha version is almost ready for launch, just a few more weeks to go.

Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback, for those who have not taken a shot at it, please do. Remember, this is not for Oldsmobile only, so spread the word!
Old March 23rd, 2015, 07:53 PM

I have gone from "weeks" to "months" at this point, (day job, travel, buying a new house) but there have been 7 new decoder pages added to account for most of the layout differences between the years. The final step will be page integration using a content management system to make everything pretty. Still working on it, release will be as soon as possible.
Old June 29th, 2015, 10:13 PM

Interested parties with some time on their hands

I have completed the webpage code and I am in the need of some folks who would be interested in reading over some of the content and see what works and what doesn't. If you are interested you can PM me here or send me an email and I will grant you access to the site to look it over.

Thanks in advance to those who have participated in the past and those who are interested now.
Old May 10th, 2017, 01:41 PM

Launched!

Ok, the real live site is up and running. There will probably be a few things here and there that need to be fixed, but try it out and let me know.

Thanks,
Old May 10th, 2017, 02:11 PM

Thank you, thats alot of time and effort on your part
Old May 10th, 2017, 04:57 PM

I've been to the site. It looks very nice, but I have a few comments.

1. The "how to" video does not work. At least, it didn't when I tried it.

2. It's not clear where you actually go to decode a tag!!! I looked around for about five minutes, clicking on links and such, before I realized that you're supposed to start in the middle of the page by choosing your cowl tag design. That should be FIRST on the page, with a heading above it that says "To decode your cowl tag, start here." Or something like that. I think the vast majority of first-time visitors to your site will want to decode a tag, and they will get frustrated if how to do that is not obvious. All that stuff about fake tags or making new ones is fine for peripheral reading, but they're not the primary reason people will visit your site. All of that stuff should be BELOW the data tag decoding part.

3. The "choose your cowl tag" section is too small. It's difficult to read them, and you should not have to scroll through them. If there were something like 30 or 40 styles, having a scroll function would make sense But there are only 8 styles shown, and that's not so many that all eight can't be displayed at one time, enlarged at least 50%.

Just my two cents.
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I've been to the site. It looks very nice, but I have a few comments.

1. The "how to" video does not work. At least, it didn't when I tried it.

Yes, the how-to video is in development now and is not working yet. It should be ready in a couple of weeks.

2. It's not clear where you actually go to decode a tag!!! I looked around for about five minutes, clicking on links and such, before I realized that you're supposed to start in the middle of the page by choosing your cowl tag design. That should be FIRST on the page, with a heading above it that says "To decode your cowl tag, start here." Or something like that. I think the vast majority of first-time visitors to your site will want to decode a tag, and they will get frustrated if how to do that is not obvious. All that stuff about fake tags or making new ones is fine for peripheral reading, but they're not the primary reason people will visit your site. All of that stuff should be BELOW the data tag decoding part.

Good note. I will make a note of it and probably make it a little easier to find the actual decoder. I was thinking about it and I might simplify things a little bit and only offer 3 styles.
The stories are for novices and honestly were used to fill in some space and hopefully over time offer more information to those who are new at looking into cowl tags.

3. The "choose your cowl tag" section is too small. It's difficult to read them, and you should not have to scroll through them. If there were something like 30 or 40 styles, having a scroll function would make sense But there are only 8 styles shown, and that's not so many that all eight can't be displayed at one time, enlarged at least 50%.

I was a little concerned about that and you are correct. The problem is that I am working on a very large screen (27") so perspective on my end is a little distorted. Good idea, I will clean that part up.

Just my two cents.
Your 2 cents is worth a lot more than that. My background as a developer, as with most of us, clouds the user experience because we only see things in a way that makes sense to "us." All good observations and I greatly appreciate the feedback.
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
Thank you, thats alot of time and effort on your part
40,000 database records is a lot but it has been fun. I am hoping that it will do nothing but improve over time. Thanks for checking it out!