General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Is this a classic

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2015, 09:03 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by wr1970
You gave a opinion that is blowed way out of portion as the question was about a classic car.
The OP's question was answered in the first reply. After that, it was all discussion on the general topic.

Whether it war blowed out of portion, welll, I reckon we'll leave it to Billy-Bob an' Cletus to confabricate that out.

You broadened it to what a classic is in a general sense.
Yes, I did, because in order to understand why his car is not a classic, it is helpful to understand what a classic is.

There are cars after world war two cost more than some on the list by that club. So there goes that theory.
Huh?

A classic car is an unusually fine example of its type.
"Unusually fine" (or whatever adjectives you choose) does not relate to monetary value, it relates to artistic and engineering value.
Monetary value is determined by the forces of the market, primarily by supply and demand, not by artistic or engineering considerations.
If art, style, quality, and competence were rewarded, then Masterpiece Theatre would be rolling in dough while NBC begged for money, small, three hundred year old houses would be worth more than McMansions, and ballet dancers and chess grandmasters would be multimillionaires while football and baseball players worked second jobs so they could play ball in their spare time.

- Eric
Old September 22nd, 2015, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
The OP's question was answered in the first reply. After that, it was all discussion on the general topic.

Whether it war blowed out of portion, welll, I reckon we'll leave it to Billy-Bob an' Cletus to confabricate that out.

Yes, I did, because in order to understand why his car is not a classic, it is helpful to understand what a classic is.

Huh?

A classic car is an unusually fine example of its type.
"Unusually fine" (or whatever adjectives you choose) does not relate to monetary value, it relates to artistic and engineering value.
Monetary value is determined by the forces of the market, primarily by supply and demand, not by artistic or engineering considerations.
If art, style, quality, and competence were rewarded, then Masterpiece Theatre would be rolling in dough while NBC begged for money, small, three hundred year old houses would be worth more than McMansions, and ballet dancers and chess grandmasters would be multimillionaires while football and baseball players worked second jobs so they could play ball in their spare time.

- Eric
Why don't you cut the drivel out i doubt you would know a classic if it fell on you.You have made this thread a mission for your existence. Personally your take of explaining a classic car amounts to a load on manure wagon. You being in the middle filling it up.

Last edited by wr1970; September 22nd, 2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 06:50 AM
Hookers under Hood

Lord Tunderin' Geez,
I had no idea what a Classic was until all this.
I must have been drinking last night. Dam, I never post like that. I hope I dodged a bullet with you guys. I'll try to keep my posts from getting out of context in the future.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 11:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
Somewhat buried in a long dead thread about posting photos though....
Old September 22nd, 2015, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Somewhat buried in a long dead thread about posting photos though....
Ha, never said it was easy to find, Allan.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 07:34 PM
Administrator

There is a sticky for posting photos in the forum.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 06:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes...and ironically it's in the newbie forum where most newbies register but never seem to notice it....... and end up asking how to post pics!
Old September 23rd, 2015, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I think "classic" when applied to automobiles means a car that has stood the test of time in some way. Its influence on automotive design, culture, or whatever through history has been observed and documented. It is representative of its era. No car built recently can ever be a classic. Only after enough years have passed and we have seen that the car has influenced cars that came after it in some way can a car be a classic.

It's not surprising that most or all of the cars considered "classics" are from the early days of the automobile. It was easy to be the first to do something back then because the car itself was new, and no one had done anything before in terms of styling, power plants, or anything. But now, after 120 years of an auto industry, it is difficult to do something so totally new and different that what you do will one day be regarded as a classic.

A car can certainly be an "antique" as soon as it reaches some conventionally-accepted age, typically 25 years. But a '91 Cutlass is not yet an antique, and it is certainly not a classic. Right now, it's just an old car. It may be a very nice old car, but it is nonetheless just an old car.
I'm pretty sure that in Pa it;
's 20 years for a classic and 25 for an antique.And there's something in there about if the model is no longer made.So it's hard to say what is a classic and what's not I guess it depends on who's definition you use.
railguy
Old September 24th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

So we're debating the meaning of "classic" as it applies to cars on a website called Classic Oldsmobile (of which by strict definition there are none). Maybe we're not really here at all and I'm just dreaming...
Old September 24th, 2015, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by copper128
So we're debating the meaning of "classic" as it applies to cars on a website called Classic Oldsmobile (of which by strict definition there are none).
An excellent point, and this goes to show that the word "classic" means whatever the person using it wants it to mean. There is no standard definition.

What states choose to call the "class" of vehicles of a certain age or older that they issue special license plates or registrations for is meaningless as state legislatures around the country are not the arbiters of the meanings of the words "classic," "antique," and so forth.

I would guess the majority of states use the word "antique" for such cars. But some states use "historic vehicle" or "vehicle of historic interest." I would bet few use the word "classic."

I would guess that most use 25 years as the cutoff age, but certainly that can vary as well as we've heard here, and, again, like the words the states use to describe these vehicles, the ages they use carry no significance beyond the purposes of registering a car in that state.

In my state, New Mexico, the term used is "horseless carriage," and the horseless carriage must be 35 or more years old.

In Ohio, where I lived before moving here, the term is "historical vehicle" and the cutoff is 25 years.

Old September 25th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Hookers under Hood

Here in Ontario you can get Historic plates on anything over 30yrs. Many guys at car shows refer to cars prior to 1975 a classic. Some car shows only allow 1975 and older to attend these classic get together's. My 1976 although getting old, to me its just an old car being worthless to anyone but myself.
Now the Malibu Classic, Caprice Classic of the 80's who knows what they were thinking.
Old September 25th, 2015, 11:54 AM

Says you not everyone is a club guy and not everyone accepts this type of nonsense of who is deciding what is a classic.Just remember. Times change and a lot of guys who layed ground work may not even be living. So just because it started out that way and is being carried on doesn't make it right.That is why in my state there is a different definition by the insurance companies not me. By the tag office who issues out tags not me. To sum it up so any car built after the world war 2 not being a classic is bs.Once a car has reached a age of 35 years it should be considered to be a classic.
you sound as bad as the SCOTUS deciphering the constitution. if you dont like their rules start your own club, stop trying to whine about it until they do things the way you think it should be. what good is a club if they bend and change their rules? the H/OCA for example practically made a special category for a 442. it Kinda showed some favoritism but you will have that.

with that said i think the OCA needs to do a better job in the G-body olds community. thats the future of the club but i dont think they should change the rules to do so. the first thing i look at every month is to see if a g-body made the cover of JWO. My generation is the last generation that grew up with olds. I dont see people much younger following the brand. I can see new clubs form to allow a more broad spectrum are cars. As big as the OCA is i would still call it a niche group. with no olds around it will probably shrink significantly starting in about 15-20 years or so.
Old September 25th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 76olds
Here in Ontario you can get Historic plates on anything over 30yrs.
Hmmm, according to that I'm both classic and antique. So do I wear the plate as part of a belt buckle or a necklace?
Old May 7th, 2017, 12:14 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by 67Rocket
I also a 91 Cutlass 2 door, fairly rare vehicle, is this considered a classic? Thx
Woohoo its now a classic !! Pulled this thread out of my time capsule !
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Olds Fever

Technically, it was considered a "classic" for insurance purposes in the 2015/2016 time frame... Since the 1991 models were usually released in the late summer early fall of 1990, a 1991 vehicle could be 25 years old in 2015 (which is the bench mark age for historical/classic vehicles)...
Thanks for resurrecting, Eric... This will be a little tease for reviving the "true classic" definition...

Last edited by CRUZN 66; May 7th, 2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old May 7th, 2017, 11:32 AM

There's something that needs to be considered on what makes a classic in the USA, and that is the automaking trends of the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

One could argue accurately that cars in the 50s were better than cars in the 40s. More power, more comfort, better driveability. One could also continue that argument into the 60s, that the cars were simply better than their 50s counterparts.

However, once you hit the gas embargo, the pollution controls, the 5 mph bumpers, and the awful styles of about 1973 onwards, one sees that, while the cars might have been respected back then, they did not age as well as their pre-73 counterparts, which is why the 73-82 Olds's are the "forgotten years."

Now, the mid 80s G body is a slick car; they're just over-regulated low power dogs. This is why so many people take a built 1970 powertrain and put it in there. But, about that time the unibody FWD cars were taking over, and GM and Ford have yet to figure out how to make one of them sexy. (Neither have the imports.)

So, other than Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds, Mustangs, and the like, no domestic American car (ok the Impala SS 94-96 is good as well), later than 1988 is going to make it ever as a classic, as it was and is just an appliance. Maybe some of the Dodge stuff, Chargers et al, will.

In order to be a classic in America, the car had to have style, and/or gobs of power. Car companies aren't concerned with that, and neither are the consumers. My company makes nothing really stylish or with gobs of power outside of some high-end Lexus's. They keep talking about bringing the Supra back, but it's probably going to suck.
Old May 7th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Technically, it was considered a "classic" for insurance purposes in the 2015/2016 time frame... Since the 1991 models were usually released in the late summer early fall of 1990, a 1991 vehicle could be 25 years old in 2015 (which is the bench mark age for historical/classic vehicles)...
Thanks for resurrecting, Eric... This will be a little tease for reviving the "true classic" definition...
Haha,
67rocket is probably still laughing at his thread. Crazy bugger!!
Old May 7th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by 76olds
Haha,
67rocket is probably still laughing at his thread. Crazy bugger!!
I agree. He created a classic thread.
Old May 10th, 2017, 08:07 AM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Based on the list from Classic Car Club of America (CCA), I don't think there is an Oldsmobile on the list. That is the truest definition of a classic car. Generally it is a car that was not produced for the masses and the list used to stop at 1947. The term "Classic" is used pretty loosely. I don't ever see a 91 Cutlass being considered a Classic. It will become an antique but not a Classic.
And this is part of why this hobby is die'n.
What my grandpa though was classic cars is different than my dad and different from me, and I'm sure those younger that I have another list..
The 91 cutlass may never be a "classic" in the collector car hobby I.E the buy them and stock them in a warehouse and never drive them.
But if the o/p like it.. that is all that matters.. If he like it show it some love and enjoy it..
Old May 10th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
But if the o/p like it.. that is all that matters.. If he like it show it some love and enjoy it..
He didn't ask whether he like it, or even whether we like it.

He asked whether it was a classic, and it isn't.

If you like your Ford Focus, that's great, drive around with a smile on your face, but don't be under the misapprehension that it's a classic.

- Eric
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:20 AM

This whole site's fraudulent!!!

classicoldsmobile.com

-pete
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Rallye469
This whole site's fraudulent!!!
Correct you are! I actually find it slightly galling, but repeated (ahem.) exposure has dulled my pain.

- Eric
Old May 10th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Apparently by some's definition a Yugo would then be classified as a Classic...
Old May 10th, 2017, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Only if it was made before 1947 and somehow had some class which it wasn't and doesn't.

One can not win playing the other mans game, (Bill Thompson 1966).... Tedd
Old May 10th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Oh, it's a classic, all right - a classic P.O.*$#@&.

... Which gives it some historic or personal amusement value, but none as a classic.

Fun fact of the day: In its country of origin, the Yugo was called the Zastava.

- Eric
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:34 PM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by MDchanic
He didn't ask whether he like it, or even whether we like it.

He asked whether it was a classic, and it isn't.

If you like your Ford Focus, that's great, drive around with a smile on your face, but don't be under the misapprehension that it's a classic.

- Eric
And at one time the pre 1947 were not classics either just used tired pos..
but I digress...
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Hookers under Hood

I'm still convinced, that 80's Chev Caprice Classic back seat I flew into, learning to fly back in the day, was a "CLASSIC"
My forehead no longer has the " Caprice Classic " imprint on it from the side door emblem, but ohh I remember.

Eric
Old May 11th, 2017, 04:01 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
And at one time the pre 1947 were not classics either just used tired pos..
but I digress...
Actually they were not...
Old May 11th, 2017, 05:24 AM
ph_ckstick1

Actually they were not...
How so? They like all cars were at one time just used cars.. nothing more nothing less..
Old May 11th, 2017, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Different time, we did not have a toss away society back then. These cars were/are status symbols.
Old May 11th, 2017, 05:59 AM

Ya, but they all wore out at 100,000 miles and could be fixed with a pair of pliers and black friction tape.... Tedd
Old May 11th, 2017, 06:17 AM
Administrator

And bubble gum...
Old May 11th, 2017, 06:30 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Different time, we did not have a toss away society back then.
Without creating a pointless argument, I would differ with this.

The reason why there are so few "Brass Era" (teens and aughts) cars around is that there was a huge "safety" drive in the '20s that was very effective in getting all of those old, outdated, unsafe cars off the roads and into junkyards.

The reason why there are so few '20s and early '30s cars around is that there was a huge scrap drive throughout WWII, which resulted in lots of "old junk" being scrapped.

Yes, SOME of the "true classics," such as Dusenbergs and Bugattis, were carefully preserved, but others were sent to the scrapyard or the used car dealer. I seem to recall reading a story somewhere about one particular collector buying a Dusenberg at a southern California used car lot for $500 in 1946 and just driving it around like a beater.

The cars that are considered to be classics change over time, but the underlying fact that they need to be examples of unusual excellence remains, and the '91 Cutlass ain't, and ain't ever gonna be, it.

- Eric
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:57 AM

I would agree that a 91 Cutlass isn't a classic.

However, it's interesting to see what cars from 1973 - present have become popular. The 77 - 85 B/C body sedans are hugely popular with folks that "donk" or "slam" them. The Ford Panther platform cars (1991 - 2011 Crown Vic, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car) are a hit, it's just getting more difficult to find one in good condition. Plus, full-sized SUVs like the Jeep Grand Wagoneer and Toyota Land Cruiser are fetching higher prices. They can even be found at Mecum or Barrett Jackson auctions alongside classic muscle cars.
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:05 AM
ph_ckstick1

Every generation has what they think is classic..
The 20-40 cars are a hard sell now because the owners are die'n off, and no one wants a stock 20-40's car.. unless it is a really high end vehicle and then they are never driven so that is a moot point.. want to look at it, get a 1:24th model of it..
The same will happen to the later 40-50's cars and so one as each generation passes..