Looking to purchase a classic

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2006, 10:14 PM

Looking to purchase a classic

I'm new to classic Oldsmobiles and am thinking about a purchase. Currently looking at a couple of convertibles, and was wanting some advice prior to purchase. Looking at a 71 and a 72. What are the things I should watch out for ? Are these considered good years ? Are there hidden rust areas I should specifically look for. Other problem areas I should know about. Anything specific to ragtops? Is finding replacement and after market parts hard ? Just trying to look before I leap.
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:11 AM

71 and 72's are considered good years to collectors. Plus they are cool cars.
Check underneath for rust. Check the bumpers as well as you may need to restore them for a better look. Make sure the ragtop motor works smoothly. Another post here had a problem with one. You can find parts suppliers on the internet. One place is Brothers Automotive Products. They claim to be
America's Leading Cutlass/442 Supplier. Here is the link. http://www.oldsparts.com/

Good Luck

Passed life: 69, 72 Cutlass Supreme S, 70, 79 Delta 88
Current luck: 85 Cutlass Supreme Brougham
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:38 AM

The 71 and 72 Cutlass are popular models, specifically when in convertible and/or 442 models. The things to look for are rust or previous bodywork to hide rust. Areas to look for rust are around and inside rear fender wells, inside the trunk area and the floor pans. Convertibles, by their very nature, tend to leak more than hardtops so look them over carefully. Look for any body filler or previous body work that might hide damage or rust. As noted in the previous response, check the top and top motor for smooth movement, function, and condition. Cutlass front fenders are also notorious for being rusty in the lower rocker just above where they bolt on at the bottom. You would also prefer the rear window to be glass instead of plastic, the plastic damages easily and deteriorates quickly. Parts are easy to find for these cars. There are still a lot of original used and NOS parts and the aftermarket has just about anything else you will need. Brothers, Fusick.com, ThePartsPlaceInc.com, OPGI.com, and Year One are just some of the places that have aftermarket and some original and NOS parts you can buy. Hope this helps.