General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1968 Olds Cutlass without A/C-heater core replacement

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2022, 06:05 PM

1968 Olds Cutlass without A/C-heater core replacement

Can anyone point me in direction of removing heater core in 68 Cutlass WITHOUT A/C . previous owner bypassed heater core. Quick check today filling up core from top hose off garden hose resulted in leaking. From what I can see it should come out form under dash without removing inner fenders etc as when encountering a A/C car. Sending off for a assembly manual and repair manual.
Old November 13th, 2022, 06:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

The heater box has to come out from under the dash. Unfortunately the outboard fasteners still require you to remove the fender or at least the inner fender to access them from the engine side of the firewall. This is noted in the factory Chassis Service Manual. You should get one if you don't have one. Also, NOW is the time to replace the blower motor as a preventative measure. I guarantee that if you don't, you'll be doing this again in six months or so. Ask me how I know...
Old November 13th, 2022, 07:20 PM

Thanks-I'll look for a manual. I was hoping my set up without AC would all come out form under the dash without pulling fender
Old November 13th, 2022, 07:29 PM

I was able to unbolt the bottom of the fender, pull it away a bit, reach in with a wrench, and remove that fastener (I think there’s just one? It’s been a few decades since I did it). I did not reinstall it and was very glad the next time I had to replace the heater core.
Old November 14th, 2022, 06:35 AM

Have not done for quite awhile, but if I remember correct, you can remove 3 of the nuts, without removing inner fender, but than you have to drill out the one you can't reach. Being the Olds inner fenders are plastic, it is not that hard to remove them, not like a Chevy metal ones.
Old November 14th, 2022, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by 442Harv
Have not done for quite awhile, but if I remember correct, you can remove 3 of the nuts, without removing inner fender, but than you have to drill out the one you can't reach. Being the Olds inner fenders are plastic, it is not that hard to remove them, not like a Chevy metal ones.

Unless your a 100% purist, this is by far the easiest way to go about replacing a heater core on many GM cars of this vintage.

Chances are the one inaccessible stud will have already been drilled out.